Rub on Wax vs Hot Wax

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234 5>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rub on Wax vs Hot Wax
    Posted: Aug/01/2011 at 8:28pm
I use hertel super hot sauce works great everyone I've given it to has been pretty impressed with the stuff never waxed someones ski's with it and had them be less then happy, had my manager at the resort come back after skiing and tell me I did one Damn good job, which for someone who's pretty good at tuning and has had their gear tuned in a shop for the last 2o years is saying something.
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2011 at 11:39am
I don't think rub-on is a good option, even when you're in a rush.  In those cases, just shell out the $10 for a belt wax at the resort to get you thru the day.
CLoSeR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CLoSeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2011 at 4:32pm
Rub on wax is not worth the trouble, your supposed to rub it on then use the cork which generates a little heat from friction..

I can't see it being absorbed at the same rate as a good hot wax.

:D
10 Sierra Crew | 10 Rome Crail | 10 Union Sierra Contact SL | 10 Nitro Reverb TLS Boots
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2011 at 3:33pm
rub on wax for my board is the equivalent of rubbing my nads with a cactus.

its just mean and i wouldnt do it to my boards. hot waxes only sir.
Camber Is The New Rocker.
silverJCE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote silverJCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2011 at 9:17am
havent read all the replies, but i always hotwax 1-2 weeks and rub after every session. i go about 2-4 times a week when the season is good. when you go that many times a week, its hard to get a hotwax session, rub on in between days helps until you can hotwax again :)
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2011 at 9:39am
Whatever application method is easiest for me to get done quick and cheap/free from the pro shop...that's my method! Wink
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2011 at 2:00pm
I'm not really sure, but from what I've been told, hot waxing helps your board slide better by filling in grooves and irregularities while at the same time releasing a bit of wax as the board moves. If this is true, then rub on wax only really helps in the second regard, and probably not nearly as well as with a hot wax.

It really doesn't take that much time to hot wax, so just do it. The only problem is that it's a little messy, and you need some ventilation, but meh.

elixerboi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote elixerboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2011 at 6:21pm
yeah, honestly rub-on wax won't even last you one run on the mountain :P..

hot waxing does get a little messy for us without a garage but definitely worth it
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2011 at 8:18pm
haha i hot wax in the middle of the apartment complex, landlord gives me a dirty look, but hey its all good
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2011 at 9:46am
Lol. Yeah same.
I used to hot wax in my living room, and my roommates got kind of angry about it. Turns out wax sticks to glass tables pretty horribly.

Luckily you can melt it off most things. :P My dining room table needed a good wax anyways.

shinji View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shinji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2011 at 5:56am
Hot wax all the way! It's very time consuming but it's worth the trouble Wink
Mountain Creek, Camelback, Windham, Hunter, Stratton, Mount Snow, Okemo, Killington, Stowe, Mont Tremblant, Aspen, Snowmass, Buttermilk, Aspen Highland, Whistler/Blackcomb
upstateshred View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote upstateshred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2011 at 9:50am
I've got a capita with an extruded base - I know hot wax is better for a sintered base, howabout for an extruded base?
Amills646 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
steez for days!

Quote Amills646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2011 at 9:52am
hot wax hot wax hot wax
hoyhoy View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote hoyhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2011 at 5:20pm
Hot wax is the way to go. Leaves a mess, but hey, it's better than having to re-apply rub-on wax after each run
andrethegiant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote andrethegiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2011 at 5:22pm
hot wax is sooo much better, rub on is for those times on hill where you can tell something is catching, but don't really have access to an iron.
XxboardKingxX View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote XxboardKingxX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2011 at 7:40pm
HOT WAX FOR THE WIN!!! rub on sucks!!
Scotty68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scotty68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2011 at 7:45pm
hot wax make love to your board! massage it! rub it all up!
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 5:56am
hot wax is the only answer
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
njironman6 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Quote njironman6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 6:32am
Ive heard of people layering different kinds of wax or mixing them. Anybody ever hot wax then rub ontop of that? Curious to see. My experience with rub on wax is that its seriously slick stuff just really short life.
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Online
  Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2011 at 11:23am
Originally posted by njironman6

Ive heard of people layering different kinds of wax or mixing them. Anybody ever hot wax then rub ontop of that? Curious to see. My experience with rub on wax is that its seriously slick stuff just really short life.

a lot of ppl do a cold wax first (thin layer) then add all temp wax (thin layer) over that.. then scrape.  The theory being the cold temp wax will not come off as quickly.. so your wax job will last/ perform longer.  The cold wax is focused on the edges and across the board in the contact pt areas near the nose and tail (since these are the areas which get the most friction).
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
grunge View Drop Down
Local
Local
Thinkingman

Quote grunge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2011 at 3:35pm
Sounds a little bit overcomplicated... I mean, if you're a racer sure, but on the whole... just wax... I know that bataleon uses 2 sets of wax per board..but I just use the one. 

shing02 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 8:52am
is rub on enough to protect the board when the season is over?
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 10:06am
^no it will not be. the layer of wax we leave on is to protect the steel from oxidizing, and to protect the base from damage also. rub on is very thin and will be not useful
goldbond-2000 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote goldbond-2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 10:23am
Hot waxing is better. With sintered base I need to wax it once for every 3-4 times out. Obviously less than that if its all powder. Rub on wax doesn't get down into the sintered base and will probably come off after a few runs.
shing02 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 12:40am
thanks for that tip-off kel.........good thing i never invested in it, would've been a waste of accumulated amazon giftcards, lawl
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Quote njironman6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 1:15pm
Think this season im gonna do some experimenting mixing levels of wax see what lasts longest.
kyavo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote kyavo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2011 at 1:51pm
yea i just waxed my board this past week. Screw you board shops who over charge for waxing and take way to long as well.
broke_folk View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote broke_folk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2011 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by kyavo

yea i just waxed my board this past week. Screw you board shops who over charge for waxing and take way to long as well.

Yeah, i'll be doing this as well. Got like a 8-10 boards to tune and wax (not all mine, only 4) way cheaper to do it yourself.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Quote njironman6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2011 at 4:25am
Waiting for TS to carry a waxing iron so i can pick one up along with some wax. Im anxiously waiting to tune and wax a few boards gets me back intune with boarding :)
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2011 at 5:20am

Waiting for TS to carry a waxing iron so i can pick one up along with some wax. Im anxiously waiting to tune and wax a few boards gets me back intune with boarding :)
You could always pick up a $10 normal iron at the store.
JESSICRAZIE View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JESSICRAZIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2011 at 6:11am
Originally posted by VermontRider

just get an iron that doesn't have holes in the bottom 
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2011 at 6:14am
Originally posted by JESSICRAZIE

Originally posted by VermontRider

just get an iron that doesn't have holes in the bottom 
It doesn't matter if it has holes in it. Just don't use the steam.
thehuckster View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote thehuckster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2011 at 8:07am
I was wondering the same thing, thanks for all the great information.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2011 at 8:34am
Originally posted by kel

^no it will not be. the layer of wax we leave on is to protect the steel from oxidizing, and to protect the base from damage also. rub on is very thin and will be not useful

a storage coat of wax does not protect the edges (or steel).. idk where U got that idea.
It protects the base from oxidation.
But correct about rub on wax.  rub-on wax is only good for a quick fix on the slopes kind of situation.
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
rosati777 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Calvin and Hobbes Extreme Sports

Quote rosati777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2011 at 8:40am
I'm pretty sure if you put wax on the edges it'll keep it from rusting
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2011 at 8:49am
Originally posted by rosati777

I'm pretty sure if you put wax on the edges it'll keep it from rusting
are U pretty sure?  Have U waxed a board before.. do U know what U are talking about? That's not why U put a storage coat of wax on your boards...  If U don't know what U are talking about, don't post in forum threads where people are looking for information.
smowboarder84 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote smowboarder84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2011 at 9:28am
I have never tryed hotwax. I use rub on wax and it works fine for me
CLoSeR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CLoSeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2011 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by smowboarder84

I have never tryed hotwax. I use rub on wax and it works fine for me

Try a hotwax.. rub on wax doesn't do anything.
10 Sierra Crew | 10 Rome Crail | 10 Union Sierra Contact SL | 10 Nitro Reverb TLS Boots
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2011 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by MikeD13559

Originally posted by kel

a storage coat of wax does not protect the edges (or steel).. idk where U got that idea.
It protects the base from oxidation.
But correct about rub on wax.  rub-on wax is only good for a quick fix on the slopes kind of situation.

If you leave wax on the edges it will help protect against rust. Snowboard bases do not oxidize. Google it. 
neojester22 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote neojester22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2011 at 11:45am
I keep a tube of Speed Paste (smells like Pina Colada) with me for the days i forget to wax my board. Does the job to hold me over till I can wax last that night. And for $10 bucks a tube that lasts a few seasons its a great deal.

I say both but in combination.
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2011 at 11:48am
hot wax is always better...rub-on will last you for about 2 good runs depends how much of a good job you did but not worth the long effort with rub on unless your short on time
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2011 at 12:52pm
I thought rub on wax was like.."emergency wax" like if you needed wax asap? I assumed hot wax was the main type of wax.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2011 at 1:10pm
for the most part rub is emergency. hot wax is better absorbed into your base and youll notice it if you're trying to go faster.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2011 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by nautika96

for the most part rub is emergency. hot wax is better absorbed into your base and youll notice it if you're trying to go faster.

I totally agree. Rub wax doesnt get absorbed into the base of your board well.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
kirkalicious View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kirkalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2011 at 6:42pm
any suggestions on hot wax accessory bundles?
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2011 at 6:54pm
rub on wax doesnt last...like at all. its pretty much pointless.
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 2:22pm
for those that doesnt know how to wax properly. watch and learn

gfcthomas View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote gfcthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2011 at 5:07pm
i prefer hot wax because it last way longer and costs less if you all ready have an iron and scraper but one tip loosen your binding screws other wise you will get 4 nice little bumps on your board and also do not leave the iron in on place for to long and only iron till the bottom of your board gets just above room temperature.
shib View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2011 at 10:41am
One Ball Jay F1 All-temp Hot Wax / Rub-on works great as a rub on wax if you don't have the time to hot wax. Best I've come across so far over the years.
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2011 at 10:42am
hot wax is way better, sticks longer, i found that rub on wax comes off after one run
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>