Rub on Wax vs Hot Wax

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 2345>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rub on Wax vs Hot Wax
    Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 6:48am
i gotta say that i do scrape and buff after a good hot wax with my $2 salvation army iron..and it works great.... however i have also neglected to scrape and buff at all on numerous occasions and just went shredding and it was fine.... waxing isn't rocket science
MOAR powderz plz!
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 7:11am
yeah i scraped it well but for buffing i just took a few passes down the board with one of those scotchbrite pads.
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 7:38am
Originally posted by bdanross

yeah i scraped it well but for buffing i just took a few passes down the board with one of those scotchbrite pads.

thats all i do when i BUFF in the BUFF
MOAR powderz plz!
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 7:42am
yes very smart. i have heard it is good to have proper ventilation during all of the steps in the waxing process.
shagwag3n View Drop Down
Local
Local
Duck of Death

Quote shagwag3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 10:17am
great thread, also went and read a bunch of the other ones that have been created in the past.

i think i'm gonna give it a go this year on my own.

one question though, after scraping, how important is it for the buff and brush? wouldn't that take care of it self after one trip down the slope?
my images won't show up dammit
pipsallday View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote pipsallday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 3:19pm
Does anyone know if you can just use DuPont Teflon Multi Use spray instead of waxing? I've always hot waxed and I never paid attention that the wax actually warms up when you're riding until today (i thought it just scrapped away from use instead of melting).

Just wondering since alot of people use the teflon spray on motorcycle chains and i've seen some hot waxes advertised as with teflon in it.
CLoSeR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CLoSeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2012 at 4:22pm
When you hotwax you're melting wax into the base which is porous like your skin. The scraping process takes off all the excess wax which has not been absorbed.. all the good wax is already in the base.

Brushing the base with a horsehair brush or scotchbrite pad is to expose the strucure of your board.
10 Sierra Crew | 10 Rome Crail | 10 Union Sierra Contact SL | 10 Nitro Reverb TLS Boots
ghostsnstuff View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ghostsnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2012 at 2:40pm
do you have to brush off the excess wax tho, wouldnt it eventually come off from your runs?
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2012 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by ghostsnstuff

do you have to brush off the excess wax tho, wouldnt it eventually come off from your runs?

Extra wax that sloughs off in the first run isn't going to hurt you on the mountain, but it's usually good practice to wipe down your board with a rag after scraping and brushing before you go out. 
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
electrix View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Everest

Quote electrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 4:43pm
I have a question about how often you guys hot wax.  I only do mine once every season and go on the order of 8-9 times each season.  Do you think thats too little?  I heard some people wax every 3 times....
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 5:03pm
I try to hotwax every 3-4 times myself. I wouldn't let my board take 8 days on the hill without waxing. If you're only going 8-9 times a season, two waxes should be enough. But waxing too much won't hurt your board.
Justplainnuts View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Justplainnuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 12:58pm
That's too little electrix.. You should be waxing every 3 to 4 days depending on how your base is holding up.. You can see when it needs a wax..

If your board has a sintered base it will be slow when it needs wax, if its extruded then performance is still pretty good even when dry.
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 1:06pm
sintered also tends to look whiter when you need to wax it. you can feel the difference too after a good wax and how dry it was before.
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by LittleShooey

Extra wax that sloughs off in the first run isn't going to hurt you on the mountain, but it's usually good practice to wipe down your board with a rag after scraping and brushing before you go out. 

When I first started waxing my board I didn't scrape it enough. From my experience, the wax in the middle of the board is not going to just slough off on the first run. It will stay there for days, it's pretty damn hard. If you have a light base and you can see any dirt the wax is probably too thick.
a-wow925 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote a-wow925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 2:53pm
hot wax works way better.  lasts longer on the board.  however rub on wax works great in a pinch. good enough for a day of riding.  
shreddog_123 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Duck season

Quote shreddog_123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2012 at 7:01pm
i like using rub on for colder days when i dont have money for hot wax. the rub on stuff comes right off on warmer days though so hot wax is the way to go 
Do you know God???
nots0kind View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
wattup box

Quote nots0kind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2012 at 11:15am
glad i saw this thread i was about to get wax for my board ill definately go with hot wax now... sounds like the other wax is too hard and a pain to apply...
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2012 at 12:21pm
I picked up some blue bird wax.
Not sure if its the wax, my application of it, or the supper icy days I have been going; but it seems to be wearing off pretty quickly.
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2012 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by belleayre

Originally posted by LittleShooey

When I first started waxing my board I didn't scrape it enough. From my experience, the wax in the middle of the board is not going to just slough off on the first run. It will stay there for days, it's pretty damn hard. If you have a light base and you can see any dirt the wax is probably too thick.

I figured "brushed off" wax referred to the newly scraped shavings being on the board. Theres no way streaks of wax are going to "slough off". LOL
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
trill2go View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Arph.

Quote trill2go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2012 at 9:55am
Just clarifying that hot wax is when they do the whole process, drip wax and use an iron to melt the wax into the board?

Or is hot wax also referring to the belt wax that takes them a second to do and costs about $5? Wanted to know the benefits of that process vs a rub on.
CLoSeR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CLoSeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2012 at 11:23am
Yep, a hotwax is when the wax is melted into the base using an iron. Most of us will use the drip method, but some will use wax flakes instead.

The belt wax is something inbetween rub-on wax and a proper hot wax and is only really good for a days riding.

10 Sierra Crew | 10 Rome Crail | 10 Union Sierra Contact SL | 10 Nitro Reverb TLS Boots
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2012 at 12:32pm

[/QUOTE]

I figured "brushed off" wax referred to the newly scraped shavings being on the board. Theres no way streaks of wax are going to "slough off". LOL
[/QUOTE]

I agree you don't need to wipe it down with a cloth. But a fairly aggressive open Scotchbrite pad does seem to really help after scraping. 
CAPnCRUNCH View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CAPnCRUNCH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2012 at 12:47pm
I hot waxed my board for the first time this season.
The pain through the whole process for me was scraping the excess wax off.
That took me forever to do.  Is there s simpler way?
CLoSeR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CLoSeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2012 at 12:59pm
Yeh.. scraping is a manual process, I usually crack open a beer and take my time. To make it easier ensure your scraper is sharp and that your technique is correct with nice long strokes.

You could also save some time with a longer scraper like 8 to 10 inches.

KinkRider View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote KinkRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2012 at 9:37am
Hot wax!!! Depending on how u ride if ur not a huge park rider then once or twice a year and rub on wax is nice because it's super easy and quick to put on.
Quadraticx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Quadraticx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 9:31am
rub on sucks don't waste your money
jdogrideon! View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jdogrideon! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 9:40am
Sounds like a good idea to me
I was wondering how long it take for the wax to disapear from the board after a hot wax.
In other words how often should i wax my board
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 11:31am
Originally posted by jdogrideon!

Sounds like a good idea to me
I was wondering how long it take for the wax to disapear from the board after a hot wax.
In other words how often should i wax my board

I wax mine every two to three days of riding. 
soxfan47104 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote soxfan47104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 11:48am
Always use hot wax it is better and lasts longer than rub on. i usually re wax my board every 3 days of riding.
icymallard View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote icymallard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 11:54am
I think it also depends on how many times you go down the mountain. I am kind of a newbie and I probably don't need to wax nearly as much as some of these guys.
CLoSeR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CLoSeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 11:59am
How long a hotwax lasts will vary:

1. The snow condition, powder, vs groomers vs ice
2. Wax temp/hardness, cooler temp waxes are harder
3. How many runs you do in a day

The important thing is that you can recognise when your base needs wax..
PunkPhilosophy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Canyons Resort POWDER DAY... This is SPRING in Utah!

Quote PunkPhilosophy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 1:34pm
I am liking most of what has been said...

I just wanted to reiterate that you do not have to buy expensive kits or irons.

I bought a $6 iron at Walmat, and made a stand out of scrap wood in my garage, threw that on top of a couple of saw horses and bam… full on waxing station… melt it on… scrape it off… simple. AND yes, the RIGHT wax matters for the right conditions… I like the ONE BALL JAY wax they offer several different options for different temperature conditions.
goalie35 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote goalie35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2012 at 4:26am
does not sound that good , does it rub off ez
boarder24 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote boarder24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2012 at 7:41pm
Hot wax is always the way to go. It is much better than rub on since is doesn't just sit on top of the board, it gets in the grooves and is much better on edge burn, and to go along with PunkPhilosophy different kinds of wax matter for different conditions but my favorite wax site is: Purl they have all kinds of wax for all conditions, I personally use the purple wax most.
c_riley10 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote c_riley10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 12:07pm
hot wax is much better but rub on is nice for takin to the mountain for a quick wax if your board is starting to stick to the snow
Weymaro View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Weymaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2012 at 12:36pm
Hot wax goes deeper and is all around better. It's completely fine to carry rub on wax with you on the mountains nd use it if your board feels a little sticky but you should hot wax at the very least twice every season
qwe740 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote qwe740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2012 at 6:09am
i prefer hot wax too, but i keep on screwing up our irons... is there a way to keep my irons from getting screwed up?
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2012 at 12:55pm
I've tried both. Rub one is easier but did not seep into the pores and does not last long. Hot wax is a pain more work but makes me go faster and last more than 3 days of riding. or maybe i did a bad job of rub-on?Big smile
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2012 at 12:57pm
there are no pores in base material.  just structure with grooves/etc.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2012 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by qwe740

i prefer hot wax too, but i keep on screwing up our irons... is there a way to keep my irons from getting screwed up?
are you using a regular clothing iron with holes?  that's your problem right there.  get a waxing iron.

if you are using a waxing iron, you would have to consciously do something on purpose to mess it up.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2012 at 7:48am
Originally posted by CAPnCRUNCH

I hot waxed my board for the first time this season.
The pain through the whole process for me was scraping the excess wax off.
That took me forever to do.  Is there s simpler way?
You can use less wax, especially if you leave a tad of a coat from the last wax. I usually do about 1 drop of melted wax per square inch/inch and a half on the base. A bit more towards the edges and less on the outer nose n tail. However, I've waxed with much less wax and it makes scraping easier. Also, if you remove your bindings, you get fewer pools of wax from the binding insert 'suck" that results from the bolts pulling the base up slightly.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2012 at 7:53am
Originally posted by spenser

Originally posted by qwe740

are you using a regular clothing iron with holes?  that's your problem right there.  get a waxing iron.

if you are using a waxing iron, you would have to consciously do something on purpose to mess it up.
Yup, never mix your wax and clothes irons. Have one for each purpose. Could you be more specific with how you are screwing up your irons? *are you just ending up with wax on your clothes? Irons designed for waxing are great because they have specific temp settings for wax, have rounded edges for smooth application, and no holes.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Otto View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Dat Ass

Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2012 at 10:39am
Hotwax takes about 45 minutes to do a good job with a tuning as well, but it last for a couple trips. Rub on wax doesn't even last one entire day, and it tends to cost more. So save money, better quality hot wax all the way.
mho223 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mho223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2012 at 2:50pm
i normally use hot wax and it does the job well
mirchandise View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote mirchandise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2012 at 2:50pm
I just get my board waxed by the guys with the buffer thing before I hit the mountain.
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2012 at 4:11pm
been snowboarding for 4 seasons and have never gotten a wax haha. Im throwing my board down rails the whole time so i figured it will just get messed up quick. 
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2012 at 6:37pm
do you need wax for rails?

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2012 at 7:21am
Originally posted by humdingaling

do you need wax for rails?

It will give you a tiny layer of protection but will be quickly scraped off. All in all it won't hurt to give your base a little bit of extra protection.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2012 at 7:36am
Originally posted by mirchandise

I just get my board waxed by the guys with the buffer thing before I hit the mountain.

i figure the machine wax will last 1 day on the mountain for $5...while a hot hand wax will last 3 days for $10...the hand wax comes out to be a better deal.
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 11:17am
My local shop offers free waxing for life with any board purchased there. They're supposed to use the machine to do it but I have a buddy who works there that will give my board a hot hand wax.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>