Your best tip

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mcoats26 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mcoats26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your best tip
    Posted: Feb/28/2011 at 12:07am
What would be your very best tip for someone just starting out?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2011 at 12:21am
i only have one tip
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2011 at 12:42am
Use the search function at the top of this forum. Will be the reply you'll get from a lot of people here. Haha. But seriously.

Starting on snowboarding? Get boots fitted and don't look down while riding. 
If only Queensland had snow...
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2011 at 12:54am
Get some private lessons and you will be off to a great start. Then you can get some really good boots and after that decide what board you want. TruSnow have some great boards and boots. You could even check out Doug's video clips.
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2011 at 12:58am
get lessons and don't let yourself get frustrated.. i repeat. do not get frustrated!
eschmunk View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eschmunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2011 at 1:20am
+1 on all the tips so far, get lessons. It is tough at first, especially trying to learn on your own. You will improve with lessons at al lot quicker pace and become less frustrated with catching edges all day.
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mrrorydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2011 at 3:17am
Say no to drugs MMMMKAY.
yummyblobs View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote yummyblobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2011 at 2:05pm
Take your time with learning but try to keep at it so you don't forget what you learned from.
fiend138 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote fiend138 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2011 at 2:07pm
Look where you want to go. What a godsend that was!
getupk3v View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Sweet as!

Quote getupk3v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2011 at 4:27am
always use protection for your head. oh and you should wear a helmet when snowboarding too!
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2011 at 4:58am
l would say, learn how to break and stop first before anything else
DazedDozer View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Tremblant

Quote DazedDozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 1:52pm
I agree with fiend138. Looking in the direction you want to go will help with the hardest part of first learning to snowboard.

"Sometimes, snowboarding can be as easy as looking up."

- Some girl on youtube.

Don't look down! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI3dPyYVQY4

SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SLUSHIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 1:56pm
Don't die.
Jaybez View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jaybez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2011 at 6:00pm
Learn how to fall! i.e. if falling forward: tuck your arms into your chest, fall to your knees and then to your chest. if falling back: bend knees, fall to your butt like you are sitting, and keep your head tucked forward(chin to chest). that will keep your head from hitting the ground to hard.
javabean View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote javabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2011 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Jaybez

Learn how to fall! i.e. if falling forward: tuck your arms into your chest, fall to your knees and then to your chest. if falling back: bend knees, fall to your butt like you are sitting, and keep your head tucked forward(chin to chest). that will keep your head from hitting the ground to hard.

Solid advice. I tell my friends that's one of the most important things to learn.

Also, buy a helmet.
Skoojoo View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote Skoojoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2011 at 7:22pm
My best tip was $90... so if you are a beginner i would say tip your instructor at least that much Big smile
'10 Academy Team 152 w/ '10 Flux Super Titan
'10 Rome Pusher 150 w/ '10 Flux Super Emblem
'10 Sierra Stunt 147 w/ '10 Flux Super Emblem
'11 GNU LDT Park Pickle 153 w/ '10 Super Emblems
poohcrackers View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote poohcrackers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2011 at 7:30pm
Best tip for just starting out: don't throw in the towel after the 1st or 2nd times on the mountain.  You're going to fall a lot so don't expect not to.  You'll be so sore after the first few times from falling so much but you gotta get back up and hang in there!  You'll be glad you did.
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!
bordmoar View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
capita

Quote bordmoar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2011 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by SkooJoo

My best tip was $90... so if you are a beginner i would say tip your instructor at least that much

I wish i got tipped that much >:O a friend of mine got like $140 for a 1 hour lesson :?

get a lesson, or just try to teach your self heelside first and dont catch your toe edge and die

nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2011 at 8:01pm
get boots that fit, wear impact shorts, and learn how to fall.
C02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote C02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2011 at 8:18pm
Get totally wasted and go off huge kickers...lol I would recommend learning how to stop first.
hawkeyepnx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote hawkeyepnx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2011 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by C02

Get totally wasted and go off huge kickers...lol I would recommend learning how to stop first.
yeah, i wouldnt get totally wasted my first few times. I got really sloppy and had a few sad sad accidents and some funny stories that my friends get to tell about me for the rest of my days :)
JackoBob View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote JackoBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2011 at 9:09pm
Ride with people better then yourself.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2011 at 10:32pm
watch some snowboard videos to see the mechanics of riding and then try to emulate those mechanics when you get your first feel of the snow.
sdip12 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Stash

Quote sdip12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2011 at 3:30am
i just started landing grabs off of some big jumps like 10 to 15 footers does anyone have any tips on how to land some back and front side 360s?
andrethegiant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote andrethegiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2011 at 3:36am
look over your shouldier and dont force the spin.
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bmorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2011 at 6:10am
As a lot of people have already said, get lessons, ride with people who are better than you, get good gear, and ride where you are capable of riding and handling the terrain.  Don't get in over your head and get hurt by riding terrain well above your skill level.  Last, but certainly not least, HAVE FUN!Wink

**The last one is the most important**
Commissar View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2011 at 6:17am
The faster you go the easier it will be! Of course there are limits, but on a bunny slope you should be good. If you try to go down the mountain very slowly, you will not learn and you will catch a lot of edges.
chramiji View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chramiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2011 at 6:25am
Bend your kness, what? you are saying you are? Well.. no you aren't. What? you are? let me see... Okay you are not. Stop arguing with me. Okay fine, do you feel like your ass will touch the snow? No? there you have it, you did not bend your knees.

This is what I tell all beginners. and please stay with your board, don't let it go ahead of you. another words, dont lean back and let the board lead you. you will fall hard.

You think that person is good? do you know him/her? yes? well ask them if they can snow down and lead you down a green so you can watch, learn and copy. just do monkey see monkey do. if they dont look like they are bending their knees.. well they are. if your quads are burning from bending your knees, well. when its off season, you better pick up some work out routine such as squatting, deadlifts, quad extension, hamstring curls and calve raises.

skip the bunny and go down the green. stay with your board and bend your knees. You will do fine.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2011 at 6:26am
Originally posted by fiend138

Look where you want to go. What a godsend that was!
that's a good one...iow, have your lines planned out before you ride them

I'd say the most important is concentrate on using your edges...toe and heelside, equally.  Someone told me that before I started and, with that knowledge, I was able to begin and go from greens to easy blues in one day -  took me first to last chair and I landed on my ass a lot, but it did happen...I skipped the bunny hill, entirely.

knowing how to fall is also extremely important...but should already have be learned from skateboarding, before you start snowboarding
krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote krisshono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2011 at 6:55am
Don't get in my way haha.. No.. Tie your boots tite
tjeddrey View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tjeddrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2011 at 7:03am
i agree with krisshono tighten those boots!!!! and put on your favorite sons and turn it way up. im a beginner and listening to music helped alot, i guess i kind a just lose myself and do what feels natural instead of thinking.
jstgermain View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jstgermain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2011 at 7:13am
Go with people that push you to get better.
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2011 at 7:14am
A season pass is always worth it
kirkalicious View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kirkalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2011 at 7:27am
i regret not wearing a "butt guard" when i learned to snowboard. but i had my friend teach me and she said a picked it up quick, so you just gotta keep at it.
jambbleit14 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jambbleit14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2012 at 7:05pm
Make sure you have a proper Snowboard outfit, never underestimate the ability of weather to change.

Know the Snowboard Basics like strapping in, standing up. etc.

Have a Snowboard exercises before you start.

irish-boarder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote irish-boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2012 at 7:41pm
Think about what you're doing right/wrong and build on that.
The 'GINGERS HAVE SOULS' kid is crazy..
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2012 at 7:56pm
Dont over think things, just do it. People get hurt when they think too much
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2012 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by jstgermain

Go with people that push you to get better.

This right here. That goes for snowboarding skateboarding, maybe everything in life.

I have a lot more fun snowboarding with people who are way better than me. In the end of the day, I learn so much more. 
wynbert View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote wynbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 9:02am
Having all the right gear helps a ton (at least it did for me when I first started).

Don't get frustrated, because like everything else, it's a lot of trial and error. Don't be afraid to push yourself and remember that overall, you're out there to enjoy yourself. :)
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 9:49am
Get a lesson, a helmet, fitted for your boots and have fun.
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 10:08am
Look both ways before you cross the street! :-)

Make sure you have correctly sized & fitted gear. From your boots (most important piece of gear to be sized correctly!) to the proper length & width board. Proper fitting & size of your gear can make a huge difference when first learning. Also don't be afraid of a little bit of speed. With 'some' speed you gain control, not enough speed makes it tough to control the board.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 10:21am
learn how to stop before u start riding with ppl better than you
rosati777 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Calvin and Hobbes Extreme Sports

Quote rosati777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 10:21am
Watch all the videos in this thread:

there are a lot of good tips in these vids
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 11:27am
Bend your knees. Great advice I remembered when starting up "you stand tall, you fall"
Flying Penguin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Flying Penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 11:24pm
Eventually try to get your own gear. Because if you don't have to learn the tendency of new boards or bindings. But first, keep at it. When you fall, don't brace yourself, it is easy to break your wrists like that. Also invest in a HELMET. Another thing is try to get over your fear of carving. It will prevent you from progressing. Good luck, try to log as much as time on the mountain as you can.
nuggetuconn View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote nuggetuconn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 3:56am
Wear DWR jacket and pants, my cloth pants were frozen my 1st time.
 Post Reply Post Reply