So what's the consensus on teaching a newbie-

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <12

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jinsgin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jinsgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So what's the consensus on teaching a newbie-
    Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 7:54pm
100% put them in a lesson. Most times I think you would just both get angry at each other and it would be a frustrating experience. I did have a friend though, we went out to WISP and he was a beginner skier... switched skis for my board for a morning and literally taught himself to link 2-3 carve turns in a row after 3 hours of riding and minimal shouted instructions! Some people are naturals, but I wouldn't take the chance.. get a lesson
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 10:21pm
agreed on the lesson part. let someone who is qualified to teach, teach them how to snowboard. I was with a big group of friends who had all boarded a few times before and had a couple of lessons and by the third day i was keeping up with them all without any troubles.

definitely try to minimise their chances of getting frustrated too that will definitely turn them away and stop them from coming back again.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 10:47pm
I tend to be the teacher within my group since I guess I progressed the fastest (as a result of going much more often than the rest). If it's their first day, I would teach them "breaking" first. Go down the slope a few times purely using the heel edge and keeping it perpendicular to the slope. On a bunny slope this can be very slow but you do the same thing toe side afterward. I always emphasize bending knees more because every noob's tendency is to lean forward with straight legs (heel or toe side).

Afterward, I would promote a bit of leafing on both sides as well. You're right, I find it does hinder the progression to carving a bit but I find it's a necessary skill to have in case of "emergency" and they can't make that turn. After they start leafing, I take 'em off the bunny hill and bring them to a green, something with more incline.

And yeah, you basically said the rest, turns end up being skidded plows at first but you get them to overcome the fear of linking heel to toe edges. After that, you just gotta make them get used to picking up speed. You can't really carve properly without speed anyway.

The above is very similar to how I learned. But what was most important in my progression was "balls" (guts) and frequent practice. Spreading out each beginner session will only slow one's learning curve. You gotta go lots and go often until you get it.
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2011 at 10:59pm
Don't waste your own day book them into a private lesson for at least half a day.
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ddomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2011 at 6:14pm
send them to a lesson to save your friendship!
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
Stanky13 View Drop Down
Local
Local
day one of my new addiction

Quote Stanky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2011 at 6:39pm
many shy away from the lessons at first because they think it is a waste of money. however, i always explain that it would be a bigger waste to spend the entire day on your back in the snow wondering "what happened?"
i understand their pain after spending all the gas money to get to the resort, then rentals, lift tickets, maybe food... it can get expensive and people like to cut corners but a formal lesson would not only quicken development and make for a faster learning experience but it would make things more enjoyable. 

unless your friend has the knowledge and patience to teach newbies i would recommend a lesson. i learned from someone who only had a little more experience than i did and had no answers to my questions. it was the blind leading the blind and i feel like i threw all my money away that day because i didnt learn anything and didnt really progress.
Weymaro View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Weymaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2011 at 7:17pm
Send them to a lesson. But if they are a good skier, they should pick it up pretty quick. I did and a lot of my friends did
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote SunFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2011 at 9:44pm
When I started out I took lessons from 2 different instructors, one taught the J-method and the other taught the leafing first, followed by the J. Glad I learned both because sometimes I have used that leafing to get out of terrain where I wasnt comfortable. You can use it to get down any hill if you get into trouble.
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
sourgummies View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sourgummies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 9:34pm
a lot of resorts here in tahoe have a deal for beginners with rental and lesson and limited lift ticket. if you're already a decent rider, it's typically better to have your newbie friend go with a lesson. you can meet up with them after the lesson if you feel guilty.
CLoSeR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CLoSeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 2:32pm
Absolutely make them get lessons, its so important to learn the correct techniques from the first few days on the hill. They'll learn more and respect the instructor more than you.

10 Sierra Crew | 10 Rome Crail | 10 Union Sierra Contact SL | 10 Nitro Reverb TLS Boots
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Wilz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 2:40pm
tell them u'll teach them for 30min and leave them.. give them the option either getting lessons or u rteachign them for 30min =P
qtxsparkl3 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote qtxsparkl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 2:48pm
never have the boyfriend teach a girlfriend because guarantee that they'll end up arguing.  I taught myself how to snowboard by using this website  http://www.abc-of-snowboarding.com/learn-snowboarding/

i also showed that website to other beginners before teaching so they understand it better
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 3:05pm
put em in a lesson! haha its not that much more than a lift ticket and rentals... 
kobe111 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kobe111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 11:00pm

Golf etiquette

on the pitch can be said that the changes facing the elusive, when we are looking for a I think Ping G20 driver is betther than Ping G15 driver driver that was far and straight to open while forgetting Wedge the importance of the short distance , according to statistics more than 75% of the attack would you please send the Taylormade R11 driver to me on the green is 120 yards away, so the short-range Approach is so important, but golfers can easily be forgotten, I observe most of the golfers at the driving range to practice the ball very few people in practice within 100 yards of the new released Titleist AP2 710 Forged Iron is very popular the accuracy resulting the scores can not be dropped frequently, and many golfers do not know how to choose their own combination of Wedge. Due to the general store golf clubs are often sold to consumers are included AW, SW I guess TaylorMade R11 TP Fairway Wood is designed for me so that golfers have no other choice, very long time overlook the importance of the Wedge how to choice the right Wedge combinations you I will buy the second Titleist 910F Fairway Wood from him have to know your point of PW irons so as to calculate the AW, SW and LW what the point of use.

Aoiree View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Aoiree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2011 at 5:05am
I haven't read all the above but I'll post my teaching method. I'm also at work right now so I'm just going to type this fast and not review what I've written.

First I run through everything I will be teaching the person verbally in the time prior to the trip. I let them know they will fall ALOT. I try to convey to them the general idea of how the body-feel of turning and stuff will be, this helps some people a lot. I tell them all the bad habits they will have at first and tell them they'll probably fall a lot trying to break those bad habits.

I do teach falling leaf but I warn them that they better not get too dependant on one side or the other edge will suffer at first. I let them know in advance that turning is actually a little more stable with some speed and slope on the hill.
I teach them how to fall properly.

Note: When I learned me and my friend learned from scratch with little to no direction.
njironman6 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Quote njironman6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2011 at 6:29pm
I learned(basics) last seasons so I feel like its fresh. I had no lesson or real help from friends besides how to brake and a few pointers and shifting my weight. I feel just by hearing about falling leaf that it is bad to teach someone.

I know i got very comfortable with heel side to the point that I could tear down the mountain into a hard left turn (im regular footed) and carve hard heel side. Toe side def not the same so I became more dependent on my heel just pretty much going down that way then falling on my toe side.

It wasn't until I was on a very narrow trail that I really began to learn toeside. A lesson would be a good way to go if the person had to be talked into snowboarding (my gf) if they really want to really bad then you could prob just let them fall their way into learning.

iamjason10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote iamjason10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2011 at 7:16pm
i was taught by putting a board on my feet and getting sent down the hill, prob not the best idea
grunge View Drop Down
Local
Local
Thinkingman

Quote grunge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2011 at 7:37pm
I think the key in teaching really is patience and positive reinforcement, at least at the start, until they get the hang of it and you can actually start correcting their techniques.

I guess I'm not patient enough.. =) 

jskyblue118 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jskyblue118 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 2:52am
Hard part is the first day. Ill say have them take a quick lesson with a paid instructor. Once you are pass that stage, it gets easier to teach someone.
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2012 at 3:09am
Rather than ruining your whole day get them a one on one private lesson and they should be able to board with you a bit in the afternoon.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2012 at 2:09pm
So far the census is leave them to the instructor instead of ruining your fun.  Doesn't anyone get a laugh out of watching your noob friends eat it?  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2012 at 5:14pm
It's worth it to pay for a lesson, at least for me. If I had to teach someone, I'd probably be frustrated the whole time thinking of the fun I'm missing out on while teaching basics. I'm also not very patient.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 8:54am
aaaha, I remember the days I first set foot on a mountain.

My best friend took me up to the top of a black diamond and said, "see ya at the bottom."
made it down... didn't pizza once. french fry'd my way down!

granted, this was on ski's and I played ice hockey for 10 years... soooo...
yea, don't use me as an example of how to teach someone...

now my 1st time on a board was more humbling, never skateboarded before in my life... wanted individual leg freedom. LoL
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 10:38am
"My best friend took me up to the top of a black diamond and said, "see ya at the bottom."
made it down... didn't pizza once. french fry'd my way down!"

You know you too could own a piece of the high life, that's right- time shareLOL  I skiied for 15 years and had never heard pizza/french fry until south park.  The last time my mom skiied was years and years ago, she french fried the whole way down until she ran into someone and took them (and her) into the safety fence at the bottom.  She's never set foot (boot) on a hill since.  Sucks because she's the missing link in my family getting together for a family day on the hill.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 12:21pm
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 12:42pm
The way I learned is by going on a really powdery day and just trying stuff out. If you fall it doesn't hurt so it is easy to ride all day.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 10:37am
Lessons. It's so sad to see people yelling at others on the hills. Sometimes it can be pretty funny, but still sad. So, lessons.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 11:33am
My buddies taught me to ride and honestly wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Don't know if it'd be the same going with some stranger. Of course I was 18 when I learned might be different if I had been a kid. 

Also as far as learning on a powder day, it's true for learning tricks(though you can still definitely get hurt), but first time out you dont want to be a deep powder day. Getting up is hard enough for first timers without deep powder.
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2012 at 10:58am
Kind of an old thread, but if you think you'll be trying to teach a bunch of friends over time the best way to do so is go to a (preferably free) instructors training course at your local mountain when they are looking for snowboarding instructors for the season. We all know how to snowboard, but they will show you how to teach snowboarding. It will also make you a better rider because when you do demonstrations for students you have to make it look perfect because a lot of people learn visually. So basic things like your riding stance and carving will improve, which are fundamentals.
Some mountains charge just to take the course, which doesn't guarantee you a job and even if it does intro level instructors usually don't get paid well...the only perk is a free pass and doing a job you like doing. But if it's $50-100 I'd say it's worth it if you teach friends often.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2012 at 12:32pm
I taught my little brother how to snowboard because the instructors didn't teach well. The thing about snowboarding is it requires a lot of practice and falling down in the beginning. So I had to first teach my brother to get used to the board and do heelside or toeside on a gentle hill. Then I started teaching him to do linking turns and with practice, he's pretty good at snowboarding now.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 7:25am
^^ Sometimes it depends on the instructor and the group. I could hardly understand the guy that was teaching me and a couple of my friends. We took the "cruzer" class so that we would learn how to properly link carves and cruise the mountain. It turned out the people that took the lesson with us barely knew the basics. There was a lot of waiting and scream during the lesson (not us) We ditched the lesson 3/4 of the way because we already knew most of the stuff.

I would recommend teaching newbies the extreme basics before taking lessons (even newbie lessons) Stuff like: stopping, leafing, how to fall, and identifying which stance are they comfortable with.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sourgummies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2012 at 3:37pm
yeah, wouldn't be a bad idea to teach them the controls first (where the turn signals are n everything). that way, you won't feel guilty about dumping them in a group class for two hours.
Skoojoo View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote Skoojoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2012 at 12:36am
Two words that make your problems away: "Private Lessons." Try to find an instructor that suits you, you'll be in much safer, more qualified hands. 
'10 Academy Team 152 w/ '10 Flux Super Titan
'10 Rome Pusher 150 w/ '10 Flux Super Emblem
'10 Sierra Stunt 147 w/ '10 Flux Super Emblem
'11 GNU LDT Park Pickle 153 w/ '10 Super Emblems
jambbleit14 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jambbleit14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 9:01pm
Go get the best ski/snowboard instructor and knowledgeable ski specialists. And maybe you're interested with Ski & Snowboard Vacation Packages in the United States, Canada & South America they have great deals right now,guess it's good to take a practice there. :)
Domo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Domo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 1:22pm
I for one don't mind teaching friends for half a day. I usually log a lot of riding time each year so losing a half day of riding is no big deal. Secondly, I'd say I'm a pretty patient guy so sitting on my but and repeating tips to a friend is no biggie.
09 Lib Tech Skate Banana - 09 Rome 390
08 Burton UnInc. - 08 Burton Cartels
08 Capita Stairmaster -
VitaminD View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Waiting for winter.

Quote VitaminD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 4:01pm
The only person I've ever wholly taught, would be my girlfriend.

She was a fresh boarder with no other experience on any board. After 2 weeks of on-and-off boarding at Big White, here's where we're at...

-Started on falling leaf to develop some edge control.
-Went on to S-Turns, utilising what she learnt from edge control
-Went onto C-Turns, driving home leading with shoulder. Got her popping before a turn yesterday. :3

She's not quite confident at speed yet, so carving turns will wait. But she can head down a blue run without resorting to the leaf. She's good at washing off speed mid skidded-turn for the link if she needs to - storing that movement in the waist for adjustments. Pretty proud after just 2 weeks of weekends and the odd night-board here and there. We're gonna try and get some confidence up so she can move onto carving turns, and picking better lines.

All in all, I don't think it's a terrbily bad thing to teach the leaf. It gets them up and going pretty quickly, preserves those delicate bums for a little longer, and gives that confidence boost from easy progression provided they don't fall into that trap!
Commissar View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2013 at 7:05am
I tried teaching my gf yesterday based on a video set I found on youtube.  I still couldn't get her to get going.  I agree with the lessons, seems to be the best way to go.  Lot of frustration on both of our parts and in the end neither of us had that great of a time.
mbesp View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hello

Quote mbesp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2013 at 8:55am
My friend and I taught ourselves how to ride when I first started.  We would go down the hill doing 360s.  I have no idea how that helped but we figured it out within a day.

I taught my GF later on and she had no experience prior.  most of it was just me showing her a turn and having her try until it worked.  Then lots of practice.

I've helped a few other friends get started as well.  I normally just try and give them a few things to try and let them take it from there.  I feel like some people get embarrassed or more frustrated if you hover around them when they are trying to figure it out so I try and let them do their own thing and help if they ask.
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2013 at 9:12am
I showed my friend how to stop and turn and then I let him be for 2 hours. I wanted him to learn at his own pace. I came back after 2 hours and showed him some more stuff. Its definitely not fun teaching someone to ride...
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 11:13am

I have to agree that it's best to let the pros teach them at the beginning. After they got the basics down, then us, the regular folks, can teach them some techniques to help them progress. But they need to learn the fundamentals first, and sometimes, we're not the best people to teach those. My son has had a mix of both professional instructors and me teaching him myself since he was 4. He's now 6 and can finally stop himself from crashing into people and/or things. He started with his board pointing straight down the hill, he can't even do falling leave without falling...here are some videos of him from earlier this week:

nuggetuconn View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote nuggetuconn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 11:38am
I have nothing against leafing, that's how I learned, but it's knowing to add on to that C-turns, J-turns etc.

Leafing gives beginners confidence and they tend to go on blues and greens and make ice patches everywhere :(

start off with skating, (another important skill that even intermediates tend to fail - you're pro if you can skate w/o stomp pad.)
-then teach braking heelside to falling leaf heelside
-then teach braking toeside to falling leaf toeside
-then teach nose front to heel side brake, etc, etc

By using leaf method, beginners get a feel of they board, body positioning, and the focus on braking.

Beginners need to have fun and confidence if they plan to continue snowboarding.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 11:45am
Originally posted by nuggetuconn

I have nothing against leafing, that's how I learned, but it's knowing to add on to that C-turns, J-turns etc.

Leafing gives beginners confidence and they tend to go on blues and greens and make ice patches everywhere :(

start off with skating, (another important skill that even intermediates tend to fail - you're pro if you can skate w/o stomp pad.)
-then teach braking heelside to falling leaf heelside
-then teach braking toeside to falling leaf toeside
-then teach nose front to heel side brake, etc, etc

By using leaf method, beginners get a feel of they board, body positioning, and the focus on braking.

Beginners need to have fun and confidence if they plan to continue snowboarding.

That was how I learned by leafing, I gained confidence and progressed because before I was just out of control and eating it.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sourgummies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 8:49pm
not a bad idea to put them on skis first if they have no idea about the concepts of edging
Sparkangelo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Sparkangelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2013 at 1:29pm
I remember when I first started.  There were no snowboarding schools and friends who already boarded just said make your way down.  I guess since I skateboarded, it gave me a little edge, not much.  I was also more comfortable on my tow side rather than on my heel side.  By the end of the day, I was able to turn one way, either toe side or heel side but could not make the transition from one to the other.  By the second day, I was able to control that a bit better.  Now to teaching the leaf, It definitely helps them to come down the mountain but the progression is very slow. 
I think the key is to let them know the mechanics and what makes the board turn and balance their bodies.  Once they know what make the board move and how to make the board move, they learn a lot quicker.
asdffdsa View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote asdffdsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2014 at 8:22pm
Note: I am an unemployed snowboard instructor

I wouldn't recommend teaching your friends, but if you don't want to pay for a lesson looks up some instructional videos on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/CASIACMS

The general progression I would recommend is:
1. Parts of the board, skating, sliding down a small incline (to help with the lift chair)
2. Sideslipping, both edges (hold their hand if necessary)
3. Falling leaf, both edges (hand-holding should not be necessary at this point)
4. Turns; technique is very important at this stage, provide some assitance by "dancing" with them to guide them through the turn

You should be able to find examples of everything I mentioned in the YouTube channel I linked. Most of the stuff I mentioned above is skippable,, though it might be helpful to practice if you are having trouble.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12