Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
IAFFbuckeye View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Step in bindings what went wrong
    Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 7:06am
Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on step in bindings. I have never used them and I know they took a huge flop. But the principle is sound I mean no more straps, lighter, easier. For those that have used them what were some of the pros and cons. Just seems like it was a good idea but I could be way off base.
Common sense is not that common
bonkfisher5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Stepchild Chi Borg

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 7:07am
THe only time I used them was on a rental board the first time I ever used a snowboard... there is a reason they aren't common
Crushing the whistler bike park! Check it out! http://www.pinkbike.com/video/215809/
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 7:13am
Think about it-how could the BOOTS give you the same support as the highback of your bindings?  On top of that, I don't believe they were lighter because the boots were really heavy.  I used them once on a rental when I was like 11 years old.  Totally sucked.  Plus snow and ice got stuck in them and you'd be at the top of a hill unable to get your foot clicked in-pretty scary.
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
Alkasquawlik View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 7:15am
Because they are crap
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 7:28am
My friend rented a board with those a few years back and they got one run in before ice made hooking to the board pretty much impossible.  We ended up busting out a credit card to try and dig the ice out of the channels where the boot hooked up.  Absolutely terrible.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Me and the wifey at stowe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 7:30am
saw this one chick on the mountain the other day with step in's, no leash and well you can put the two together. Saw her wipe out (wasn't even that hard actually) and her board went flying/sliding, took her a bit to go and get it. Confused Maybe she didn't step in properly or the system is just flawed
'10 Forces - '10 TRS - '10 Rulers '09 Blunt - '09 Freestyles - '09 Motos
Neoc151 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 7:41am
I had the K2 clicker system on my first board. I never had the problems with the ice in the bindings, but the boots sucks. They were uncomfortable and a pain to walk around in. Wouldn't suggest them. 
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Spenser W.

Think about it-how could the BOOTS give you the same support as the highback of your bindings?  On top of that, I don't believe they were lighter because the boots were really heavy.  I used them once on a rental when I was like 11 years old.  Totally sucked.  Plus snow and ice got stuck in them and you'd be at the top of a hill unable to get your foot clicked in-pretty scary.

1. They did come out with step-in bindings that have a highback though, remember? 
2. I agree with your report of snow and ice getting stuck in them. 
3. The board-to-rider connection is not as seamless or responsive.
jjm550 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 7:51am
i was going down the mountain when my back one came undone and i ate it into the woods
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 7:54am
Originally posted by robnezz23

Originally posted by Spenser W.

1. They did come out with step-in bindings that have a highback though, remember? 
2. I agree with your report of snow and ice getting stuck in them. 
3. The board-to-rider connection is not as seamless or responsive.

I do remember those-but they sure weren't the ones that they slapped on a board i rented when I was a kid.  Those were a BETTER design, but honestly, why not just have some straps?  just didn't feet right being clicked in like that
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
Krazylegz1485 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

So what happens when you need new boots?  You have to go out and find specific boots that fit into your ghey step-in bindings.  Dead
http://thench.com/garage/
Charb View Drop Down
Local
Local

tried them once, didn't like 'em.
It's never too late to do whatever
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 7:59am
I've never ridden them, but two of my buddies who rode them for years said the boots were the most uncomfortable things to wear because they were so stiff due to the fact all the support was built into the boot. They also had issues with them icing up, as somebody already said. I remember when they came out and I always thought they were a good concept, I just don't think any company ever really put enough effort into them to perfect them. Even if they were still around and if they came out with a better design, I would still ride traditional bindings because of the adjustability and the comfort.
SnapShot View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 8:35am
I owned a pair of K2 clickers.  They sucked plane and simple, royally sucked.
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 8:38am
Outside of being dangerous, they are impossible to put on in the powder.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 8:57am
My buddy used to ride the K2 Clickers.  He said the biggest disadvantage was the lack of adjustability.  You couldn't tighten them up on hard pack, or ride them loose in the pow.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 9:08am
Thanks for the input guys, alot of great points, no wonder these bombed huge. Hell I dont thin they even make them anymore do they.
shagwag3n View Drop Down
Local
Local
Duck of Death

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 9:35am
i heard they're pretty hard on your ankles too.
my images won't show up dammit
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 9:44am
Originally posted by JDiggidy

My buddy used to ride the K2 Clickers.  He said the biggest disadvantage was the lack of adjustability.  You couldn't tighten them up on hard pack, or ride them loose in the pow.

Why would you loosen your bindings?
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 9:49am
I'll equate step-ins to an electric stove: 

unlike a gas (flame) burner, you never know how hot the electric coil really is (when the thermostat goes, you're gonna burn everything until you get it replaced). 

with step-ins, you're never really sure whether you're completely clicked in.  Snow/ice builds up in the base plate and, even though you think you're clicked/secure, you can't see it (sometimes the boot isn't completely clicked and pulls out).  Strap-ins let you see and feel your security...plus you've got 2 straps (in the slim chance a ratchet goes) and a chassis hugging the sides of the boot
rem209 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 9:56am
I rented them a bunch when I was a kid before I got my own gear....the main problem was that they would always get jammed with snow and ice and not only could you not clip in at the top, but sometimes ur foot would pop out while you were riding...not fun! Also, even though they created a highback for it, the regular bindings give you wayyy better support and really lock your boot in the back of your binding.
yechiboarder770 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Yeah for it!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 10:02am
It seems to me that step ins were just a way for the ski industry tO infiltrate the snowboarding realms, those Commis!
casanovaa0 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 10:02am
do you think they bailed on the idea too quick then? meaning if they invested more into step-ins do you think they could have made it work?
trewyn15 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 10:03am
step in bindings suck, i went down a black diamond with a pair when i was just starting and my foot fell out, worst snowboarding experience ever.  

may have been a dumb idea using a step in binding on a black but still, terrible bindings lol
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 10:27am
i kinda have your feeling casanova that maybe the industry bailed to soon on step in bindings. Hear me out guys. I mean strap in bindings have been around a long time and not changed much at all. Sure they are lighter, more adjustable but still it comes down to your strapping your foot to a board. Think about how far boards have come in the past 15 years. You would think with all the new tech out there that something possibly better would come along that could work, who knows maybe we are destined to always be strapped down to the plank.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 10:32am
I like long walks on the beach.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 10:47am
over the decades, several companies have developed alternate techs to strap-ins...but we keep coming back to them.  Sometimes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the best option.

a lot of things have changed even in strap-ins.  Companies tried baseless strap-ins (fail), low-backs (fail), etc, etc.  Even available up until recently, some of us can't forget the pain endured by skinny, top of the foot toe straps (before toe caps) and minimally padded ankle straps
ustolemymarbles View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 10:53am
tried click ins once..the boots are uncomfortable and awakward to walk in.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 10:54am
long walks on the beach and dancing in the rain swweeeet, guess ur right piranha i mean the bindings now are great i dont have a complaint with them, but always searching for something better, wait till the day we have magnetic bindings no straps, lol saw a patent for that one, should be scary in the words of icp magnets how do they work
pyrotechnics View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 11:11am
i know someone who uses them...arguement is that it takes less time to strap in.

however i personally hate them. useless and uncomfortable. Tried them when i used rentals...and the pain of when snow builds up around the binding system...
tworunningcards View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 11:32am
They're uncomfortable and if you get snow in them they're impossible to use. Give me a highback any day. It doesn't take that long to strap in. Does that extra 20 seconds really matter?
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 11:35am

the main reason people dont like it is because its a pain to actually get it in place. my friend couldn't lock their triangle in place and had to do a rental because he coulnd't fix it. also the multiple reasons listed above.

Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 11:38am
Having no highback is a disadvantage but what about riders who only strap in one binding?  Is one highback better than no highback at all?  Watch the video and discuss.

Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 11:43am

flow has highback? how do you guys see no highback?

my friend coulnd't get his binding in place because there was packed snow that froze on the baseplate hence the spacing was wrong--> had to sit it out for it to defrost
TGozdor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 11:47am
just get some unions
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 11:49am
that video is pretty sick minus the music, jumping without one strapped in damn, i would be afaird i would somehow tear every ligament in my knee doing that hell and when i first started i thought getting off lift not strapped was hard forget going airborne
whoanelly View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 11:54am
^Sure there's a highback on the binding, but his foot isnt strapped into it.
I'm with Piranha. Its simple, it works. Dont mess with it. Bindings have changed a little bit with stuff like Ride's Contraband strap, those extra side straps on Rome bindings that hold the straps out of the way when you arent buckled in, Forum's Good Vibes, Burton's EST, and so on and so on and furthermore. The overall design remains unchanged, but the little tweaks have been really common.
Thats whats up.
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 12:46pm
don't liek it when ice get's stuck inside the bidnings as i come off the chair lift.. really annoying!
Commissar View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 12:48pm
I used to have the old Switch Bindings. The boots weighed a ton! All the structure had to be built in their because there was no other support. I know they have gotten better since then.
jerry000 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 1:05pm
step ins are good if you are just learning and dont plan on riding real hard, you know...once you start trying to land tricks and hitting jumps, step ins get a bit sketchy...

they also freeze relatively easily which drove me crazy...the first board i rented was step ins and i hated it so much...i am a fan of the regular strap in bindings..even flow bindings are a bit scary, my buddys flow binding came undone when we were bombing down a mountain at killington...it was awesome for me to see but scary because thats the last thing i want to happen
PICKLES View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Nom, nom, nom.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 1:13pm
Yeah, the only time I used them were during rentals.  Boots were kinda bulky.  I do remember getting snow jammed in the crevice of the boot and so it wouldn't hook to the binding.  The concept was a good one, though.
Weather, comply!
LegalBoarding View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 2:01pm
step-ins are just like everyone stated, it is difficult like to step-into when the conditions are powdery, when the bindings are iced over.  They may be convenient, but they can be more of a hassle and be dangerous like everyone said. They are notorious for coming off in bad times because of the way they may freeze over or not properly clicking in. 
steezmastaflex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 2:04pm
stay away from step in bindings...they are pretty sketch...I have heard stories of people popping out at high speeds. Also, you have less edge control because the bindings are only on the bottom of your bottoms, thus letting you exert less edge control. Last, like everyone said its extremely easy for them to get ice in them
hawkeyepnx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 2:15pm
it is a dead tech that had a great deal of limitations. As long as they aren't iced up, they are quick to stomp your foot in and go, but the convenience is going to come in multiple times in the run as your boot falls out. I have never used them, the rentals at the place closest to me use flow(not sure why) and when I go home, the closest slopes use the step-in and I watch my sister have the worst time.
gjyeske View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
creekin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 2:23pm
The one footed stuff was cool. But what happened at 45 seconds?
Codeman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 2:38pm
Had a set on the first board i ever owned and they were garbage. Filled up with ice and were completely unresponsive. It was like riding on top of the board rather then with the board if that makes sense. 
sky_captn View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 3:28pm
I would  love a pair again, I love clicking in on the chair and riding off..
Chop View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Okemo Mountain, VT.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 3:47pm
I used the Burton Step-Ins for quite a while when I first started riding and honestly never had a problem at all. Even riding blacks, hitting jumps etc. Locking your back foot in on the lift was awesome too, especially when you ride with skiers that bitch about having to wait for you to strap in. I only switched to straps because I knew I couldn't get replacement parts for them. I asked a Burton rep. why they stopped making them and was told it was only due to lack of sales (people are typically afraid of what they don't know) and they couldn't justify stocking shelves with a not so profitable item.
37! In a row?
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 4:49pm
oh the good old step ins

its what we all learned on from rentals (not no a days tho)

man they were such a b to put on
my mom says im hardcore
Borsa View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 4:56pm
They are good when you're learning, but if you are getting serious about snowboarding I suggest you drop some cash on nice bindings.  Read reviews and try to demo some if you can get the chance too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>