Topic ClosedRyuoo, Japan (review)

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryuoo, Japan (review)
    Posted: Mar/10/2011 at 7:59pm
"Jesus ipps, you've just spammed the hell out of us with the shiga review. Can you give us a bit of a break, mate?" I hear you all imply. But fear not, this is probably gonna be smallish.

Where?: Ryuoo Ski park, Kita shiga Kogen, Nagano, Japan.
When?: February 22nd and 23rd 2011
Map: or http://www.ryuoo.com/gelande/
Ticket Info: 4000 for 1 day, 7000 for 2 days, or 50,000 for a season pass. Details here: http://www.ryuoo.com/price/
Accessibility: Fairly easy. Drive to nakano then head to kita shiga kogen and follow the massive billboards. OR get the train to yudanaka and then pick up the shuttle bus from there. OR easier still, get the shinkansen to nagano, then at 9.20 go to bus stop 3 and catch the bus there. :) Costs about 1200 each way.
Who?: 4 years, stays out of the park but runs in the trees.
Snow Conditions?: There was a layering about a week before, but you wont find it on the groomers. Off piste had some decent depth, but often times was heavy and wet. The steeps were somewhat choppy :)
Resort Facilities?: Pretty threadbare. A few big rental shops, a combini, an information center at the very bottom, and a few scattered restaurants. It's fairly small but you'll find most of what you'll need. All but one of the lifts were open when i went (due to a significant crack along valley 5 - a shame because when you're in the valley area, it's the only real spot of advanced terrain). The liufts connect up fine. It's a bit of a pain in the ass having to ride several lifts up what looks like a fairly straight top to bottom line, but what you gonna do?
Anything Else?:Yeah, one thing. Ryuoo always have these AMAZING deals going on. If you pop to this site here, you can see them: http://www.ryuoo.net/hotel/free.html
Basically you can score a hotel room, a day pass, and breakfast and dinner for a ridiculously low 7000 yen. The only trouble is, they have absolutely no English support and it requires a minimum of two people :) So if you want this deal and can't wingding, then try what i did: Turn up to the information center, point out the deal to the dude (if you cant speak any japanese then you might need to print it out so you can at least point to it), and see if he'll phone up and score you somewhere. I ended up with 11,000 for break/lunch, a 3 bed room to myself and a 2 day lift pass. Pretty neat i thought :) Oh, did i mention that almost every single hotel involved in this deal are ski in/ski out? :)

The Review:

Ryuoo is a mountain in three parts. At the bottom is a nice gentle valley. It's nice and long, has a fairly decent gradient so you can still pick up a bit of speed on it, is wide and open, and ultimately is IDEAL for beginners. It also has a nice little park with a few boxes and rails and a couple of small kickers. It finally has something very few other places have - a bag jump :) Still, for the most part this is nice cruising/beginner friendly terrain. As mentioned, the only lift accessing anything approaching advanced terrain was closed at the time, so to me this place is stamped in my mind as a cruising/ski school spot. It is, as i say rather long, so you have a lot of space to yourself to just doink around, but if this was all there was you'd be going home a little underwhelmed.

(one of only 2 pictures i have of the valley area :))

I spent the second morning here under the erroneous impression that the middle gates weren't open until midday, and i have to say it got old really quick. The constant moving from lift to lift was annoying as hell, and the terrain felt pretty damn tedious once you had your legs in. Having had the pleasure of very peed off beginners in my party though, I recognise the importance to them of seeing the end point where they can take a break, so this place would be genuinely IDEAL for anyone taking their first turns. The gradients are mellow and increase very slowly to the point that marked red runs would likely be straightforward green runs elsewhere. Alas this means intermediates might feel a bit underwhelmed (unless they happen to love the park).

So lets hop on the ropeway and get the hell out of here:

(heres that second picture :))

The ropeway leaves every twenty minutes, and the queues get long, FAST. It seats about 160 people and so long as you're inside the building (or just outside it), chances are you'll be getting on that bus. The carriages run on the hour, at 20 past and 20 to. I'm pretty sure they could speed the damn process up what with having two of the bloody things and it only taking about 8 minutes each way, but what do i know about ropeway safety?

Anyway at the top of the ropeway you have three real choices. 1) take the lift to the very top. 2) go back down on the ropeway, or 3) ride down. Surprisingly option 3 is not the default choice you might think it is, but i guess we'll come to that in a minute. Instead I'll tell you a bit about the top.

The top is a little fluffy powder stash. Its got lots of cute trees and is INCREDIBLY flat. Id say the average for the whole area (which comprises some three or four runs) is about 10 degrees. Its super gentle which makes it quite difficult to ride for a lot of beginners. There will be problems with maintaining speed and there will be a lot of unclipping. It's kinda fun, and kinda nice, and certainly youd want to visit it, but it also comes with the burden of having to take a small chairlift to get back up to the ropeway station. This means you cant ride from the top all the way down unfortunately. Still, the view is nice, the powder is good fun, and its nice and mellow meaning you can kill a bit of time here if the gates happen to be closed.

(Playing up by the trees at the top of ryuoo).

(riding the lift up through the now melting snow monsters :()

A review of a resort where you ride the ropeway down isn't much of a review, so this leaves the last section of the mountain. And in this case I have really saved the best to last.

I don't want to go over the top here, but this is quite simply:

THE GREATEST ON PISTE RUN IVE EVER RIDDEN.

If i told you my favorite day of the season (a season that included some crazy powder drops and some really fun lines with some really cool people) was just me all on my own in this small poky resort with only one real line, you'd think i was making it up. Well let me tell you straight up, this place is awesome and it's almost 100% based on this one stupid run.

For someone in their fourth year of riding who hasn't really had the joy of riding insane BC lines, sure i might be egging the pudding a little here, but for me this run topped everything thats come before it. Its also pretty entertaining as a bystander watching people lose their edge and slide about 200 meters before smacking into crash barriers :) Beginners are strongly advised against riding it and theres an announcement in the gondola that people with rental boards should not go down it. Indeed my mate on his second day a few years back told me about him and his group being shouted at by ski patrol and told to come back :)

I'm looking at the gradient of it on the ryuoo website and theres nothing that makes me believe those details. You look down and it looks like a decent sheer drop. You look back up and it looks like you just rode a vertical wall. The thing is a joy from start to finish. So let me take you through it on course (b). (i rode course c once and wasnt a big fan. Its just a long windy ice path with some trees at either side but usually on banks making it tough to get in there).

(at the start of the run)

At the top you have a narrow steep path. It travels a fair distance and is usually the undoing of most people. Its icy, bumpy, and fast. Flanking it on either side are some trees. I always avoided the wall and popped in the trees. The powder is a bit nicer, you dont kill your feet and knees from the constant bumping and its all round just a lot nicer (if a little steeper). If you go skiers left stay near the piste because it loops round to the right.

(trees on skiers left)

If however you pop into the trees on the skiers right, you'll come to the line directly under the ropeway (so much fun!). Way steeper than the b course, it just plummets to the bottom, but because its not part of the official course its still got a fairly sound covering. Obviously theres no avi control here so you need to be cautious and make sure you have your anchors, ski patrol were very adamant that it was "zetaii dame!" and stupidly dangerous to ride (despite the tonnes of tracks on it by the way).

(looking back up the first stage of the run before it shallows out a bit).

Lets pretend we rode b course though, just at the bottom it shallows out a bit giving you the chance to open up and charge. This takes you up into the trees near the ridge line.

(up in the trees)

For the next five or som minutes of yoru ride you get to play in relatively untracked steep powder just riding up and down this line. Its enormously good fun and has some of the best tree riding i've had the pleasure of enjoying. But then it's eventually time to pop back down onto the rest of course b, and this is where you come to the fastest natural halfpipe ive ever ridden.

This thing is huge. Coupled to the gradient of this ride, you will be bombing up and down these walls with no bother at all. These walls are fast, lightning fast, and no matter who you are you're going to have a great time riding up and down them.

The end of the pipe ride is the end of the drop, but only now youre spat back into the valley, only you'll be carrying some serious speed. This makes the last part of the run a really nice bomb down the groomers to the ropeway (and up and down some walls at the side of it), or you can just cruise into the park, then into the air bag (if youre up for it) and finally onto the ropeway to do it all again.
Its about a fifteen to twenty minute run that definitely tests your skills and confidence.

(the two waterfalls cutting through the mountain in the distance are for the ropeway. The furthest one is the one you come under after hitting the trees at skiers right. I didnt have the balls to ride the front one because it looked like it was a definite avi risk :)).

Conclusion:

I love this run. And it's odd talking about a resort as just the one run (well, variations on a theme of one run), but really that's pretty much Ryuoo for me. Even if the place was filled with a stack more terrain it wouldn't matter because i'd probably just spend my time hitting the B line (or the airbag if i was here for a long time).

Outside of that run (well, that and run C i guess), theres not really much else to do on ryuoo, and thats possibly why by the end of day 2 i was feeling like id had my fill a bit. For a really short trip it will blow your head off. You won't honestly know whats hit you, but for a longer trip youd have to start finding ways to keep yourself entertained. And given that theres a lot of pretty gnarly terrain around the area (theres a few ridge lines with some big wild tree lines that you can theoretically follow for instance bringing you out down near the ropeway station), you might be able to stretch it out a bit. Still chances are it'll nevertheless get pretty old fast and you'll be wanting to hit something a little more diverse. Hell, just one morning spent in the valley because i mistakenly thought the gate for B and C didnt open until 12.30 (they close gate c around 12, and open gate b around 12.30 once theyve done the barrier and rope checks), had me tearing my hair out.

Nevertheless, day 1 on Ryuoo was far and away the best day I had this season and the course itself stands as the benchmark by which i complain and whine about every other piste run being dull and uninspiring. Effectively i's single handedly destroyed my ability to look at any isolated run objectively since i can pretty much guarantee i'll be thinking 'its alright, but its not as good as ryuoo'.

If you're in the area, have a day or two to kill, and are starting to get a bit comfortable with your tree riding, you HAVE to hit it. No ifs nor buts. This course is MUST RIDE stuff. Nothing, and i mean nothing was a more challenging exciting ride for me than Ryuoos ropeway area. Out of ten, im giving ryuoo the tufnel award:

m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2011 at 8:03pm
Heres a genuinely awesome review of the place on snowjapan a little less focussed on my preferences and my complete lack of objectivity:

Dyna8800's review on snowjapan

and one more from snow japan with some seriously nice pictures:

ryuoo ski park... a hidden gem?
Screw it, heres a photo i ninjad from blackmountain's post because its awesome :)

This is the run right under the ropeway which i was talking about. To the left of it looking a bit chopped up is the main b course. It rides all the way to just before the ridge. At this point I usually trek through the trees about 50 feet below the ridge line but generally following it. The actual course is the part that then dips back down the mountain. This is where it breaks into the half pipe cutting through the ropeway line and finally dumping you out on the main resort. If you followed the ridge all the way, you can see eventually it brings you out a little bit further down the valley. I didnt want to try my luck, but im pretty sure if i end up there in a few years again, i probably will :)

Its not just me kids. Everyone in japan goes nuts for this dirty little secret.
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 3:41pm
these go up to 11 bump because more people need to ride this place :)
m00m
gamelessx25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 9:36pm
What's the elevation from the top of the run?
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 10:06pm
1930 to 850 (which kinda gives you a sense of that drop since we aint really talking meandering 8km trails gently winding around a mountain). :)

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resortdetail.php?resid=43&rname=Ryuoo%20Ski%20Park

Min-max = 1080m.
m00m
gamelessx25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2011 at 5:39pm
Sweet, looking forward to this if I ever visit Japan... kinda sketch now after the earthquake =(
bugsbunnymydad View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2011 at 6:54pm
Bah, don't let the western media fool you. Life is normal as hell west of Kanagawa(Yokohama). So if you fly in to western Japan (Kansai airport) and go from there, you won't even notice there's even been an earthquake...

Went to Hakuba 47/Goryu 2 weekends ago... usually one of the busier resorts...and it was EMPTY. Granted, this was just a week after the EQ but it was insane how little people there were. None of the lifts were closed and no shortage on supplies or anything.

Went to Yachiho Kogen in Nagano just this last weekend and it was the last day of the season there...not too many people again. Oh if you're wondering, that place sucks... it's got a nice park and that's it. Tiny as hell, no runs to bomb. I'm not a park guy and I have a shoulder injury from my Hakuba 47 trip so I just brought my artifact rocker and screwed around on the greens and reds all day.

But anyway, considering how little effects the EQ had on the Nagano resorts just 2 weeks after the EQ.... I would not be worried AT ALL about heading to Japan to board next year.

Oh and Ryuuoh is pretty cool. But the staff are pretty strict about when they open that piste run ipp is talking about. I've been there a total of 4 days in the last 3 years and I think it was only opened one of them. But I went 2 days in late December Confused I'm sure its probably open everyday in late Jan/Feb.

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2011 at 6:58pm
hey bugs, tell me about your artifact dammit! Glad the shoulder was good enough for you to head back out though for another ride, must have been a killer missing out on an empty hakuba :)
m00m
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 3:39am
Not much to say...I rode 1.5 days on it injured. Only did greens and reds just spinning, pressing, buttering around... It's good for that! That's all I can say haha. Oh and the graphics look ugly as hell online but after looking at it in RL, it's really grown on me and now I really dig it. 
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 3:13pm
i dunnoi what you mean, even online the graphic on it looks fun. :) So basicaly rides like youd expect it to ride with no secret stability locked in anywhere? Well, maybe your shoulder can testify to that :p
m00m
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 4:41pm
Didn't really bomb/charge any blacks... Did some mildly steep reds and it didn't feel too bad. I was taking it really easy though.

Hah, injury had nothing to do with the board. I was just being stupid.

I'm not sure how often I'll bring out the artifact rocker to be honest. I don't really do park that much and spins and butters get kinda old after half a day.Confused
knagao View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 5:22pm
Which parks in Japan are open the latest in the spring? I'm looking to head out to Nagano on 4/16-17 but not sure what's still going to be open then....
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 5:39pm
i think your best bet is shiga kogen. It has a later season than everywhere else. But its park isnt exactly awesome or anything. 47 MIGHT be open still, but i wouldnt bank on it. Nozawa doesnt really have a very good park, so that really only leaves myoko and thats probably closing or closed. Your best bet is to check on snowjapan since the people posting there are based at the actual resorts rather than hazarding a guess like i am from korea :) In truth more than likely most RESORTS will be closed or closing around then, so youll definitely need to check.
m00m
knagao View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 5:47pm
Thanks for the reply; I just downloaded the SJ app for my iphone so I'll keep my eye out for any updates to the lift statuses. Actually went to Shiga Kogen about a month ago and enjoyed it thoroughly (minus a couple encounters with some icy moguls and a lost camera).
Tanuki505 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 6:11pm
Now would be the time to book your trip for next year....
10 Flow Infinite 159, 10 Head I.CT 162, 11 Burton Flying-V 158
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2011 at 2:20am
definitely thinking about planning my trip....i wonder if there will be specials with all that is going on. 
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2011 at 2:59am
i would like to amend my recommendation for shiga kogen. Apparently its mainly the ski only areas they keep open in late season for christ alone knows what reason? Possibly they feel they get too much business and really need to cut their numbers in half or something :?

oh and i also got the hakuba bit entirely wrong. for the middle of april the hakuba park is still IMMACULATE!!!

From this thread:
http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/408311/gonew/1/How_does_Hakuba_47_manage_to_k.html#UNREAD
m00m
 Post Reply Post Reply