1 Staff | 9 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 395,996 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > The Board Room

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Topic ClosedSierra at Tahoe or Kirkwood or...

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Davor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sierra at Tahoe or Kirkwood or...
    Posted: Mar/16/2011 at 12:20pm
I will be in Sacramento on business next week and will be arriving this Friday evening. I want to go riding on Saturday (the meeting starts on Sunday) and am not sure where to go. Sierra at Tahoe, Kirkwood, someplace else, what would you locals recommend?

PS I'm a "mature", intermediate rider from Ontario. The only Tahoe place I've been to  before is Sugar Bowl.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 10:32am
On a Saturday, I wouldn't go to most resorts because of the crowds. Sierra and Northstar are infamous for their weekend crowds and I would avoid them. Kirkwood would be a much better choice. It's a longer drive, but you'll make up the time from the shorter lift lines. It might be snowing over the weekend though, so check for possible road closures to Kirkwood. Also, don't follow online maps or gps directions because they usually take you through a road that's always closed during the winter. Follow the directions on Kirkwood's site.
azngolfur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 11:10am
I like Northstar and Kirkwood for boarding... sierra seemed to be a better place for ski'ers IMO. Kirkwood might be the best bet for you to avoid the crowds... although it's supposed to be snowing this Friday and Saturday so the drive to north* might be a lot easier
leonchang7 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 11:19am
northstar all the way
BananaMonster View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 11:52am
Kirkwood doesnt seem to get as crowded as other resorts, especially Sierra and Northstar since its a bit out of the way and theres not much around it.

They always have nice snow and a variety of terrain, so its my personal favorite place in tahoe to ride.

If the weather is good I'd shoot for kirkwood, if not then Sierra since its easier to access
Dont trip chocolate chip!
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 12:16pm
being from the East coast I truely liked Squaw Valley
very open riding, no slopes you have to follow.

KT22 and Granite Chief were awsome too..
scorcobra View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 12:29pm
HEAVY snow from mid Friday onto Saturday. Need to watch out for road closures from and to Kirkwood, even for Sierra. Either way, commute will be a pain for Saturday.
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by azngolfur

I like Northstar and Kirkwood for boarding... sierra seemed to be a better place for ski'ers IMO. Kirkwood might be the best bet for you to avoid the crowds... although it's supposed to be snowing this Friday and Saturday so the drive to north* might be a lot easier

How is sierra a better place for skiers?  They have a halfpipe, tons of really well-kept-up parks, and amazing tree runs and powder stashes on the right days.  Northstar is better for tourists and annoying crowds.

Yes Sierra does get crowded too, especially on weekends.  But Sundays are worse than saturdays. 

To the OP, I'd REALLY check the road conditions this weekend if you're going to Kirkwood.  They close that highway all the time, and it's supposed to dump 3 feet between fri and sat.  Kirkwood will be absolutely epic if you can GET there, but getting there can be dicey.  Especially if you gotta get back to Sac for work on Sunday.  happy shredding!
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Instructing How to Douglas!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 12:31pm
For the best freeriding hit up Kirkwood for sure.

It has many simulates to Sugar Bowl.

If you want to get the full view of Lake Tahoe hit up Heavenly.
psyccologicc View Drop Down
Local
Local
View of Lake Tahoe from Homewood

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 12:45pm
I love both Sierra and Kirkwood, but I would vote Kirkwood (if 89/88 is open that day)
Davor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by scorcobra

HEAVY snow from mid Friday onto Saturday. Need to watch out for road closures from and to Kirkwood, even for Sierra. Either way, commute will be a pain for Saturday.

I guess I better rent a 4x4, do I need chains, too? Is it easier to drive to North Lake Tahoe when snowing?
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 12:57pm
No, they close the pass on the 80 sometimes when it snows.  They USUALLY don't close the 50, but if there's an accident or something it might be slow getting up there.  But Kirkwood isn't really in either of those places, you don't take the 50 OR the 80, and they DO close that highway when there's a ton of snow (88/89).

If the roads are open, you'll be fine with 4x4 and mud/snow rated tires-no need for chains.  If you're in 2wd, bring chains.  or get 4x4, it's supposed to be DUMPING
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
scorcobra View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 12:59pm
4x4 is a good idea although fwd with chains is sufficient. 4x4 at most times don't require chains/cables, if they do, it's in a condition where it'll end up closing the road anyway or would be too dangerous for any vehicle to drive.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 1:21pm
If it's really dumping as forecasted, just go back to Sugar Bowl. It's a great mountain when there's lots or fresh snow. Plus it a shorter, easier drive than the other resorts.

Overall, I'd recommend Kirkwood, but it is a farther drive and the road (88) closes more often than 80 or 50 going to the other resorts.
No Sig... I'm just not that witty or creative
twinsin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CHOO CHOO

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 1:31pm
I'm planning on hitting up Kirkwood with the GF on Sunday as opposed to other resorts for all the reasons stated here...esp. since Costco has 2 for 1.

Not to threadjack, but if Kirkwood is expected to get dumped on Fri and Sat hard and 6-10" on Sunday, what's the chances of 88 closing? Coming from Sac and don't want to have to turn around because of no road access.
chubbyguy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 1:36pm
If you have a strong car/4x4 I think kirkwood is the place to go. Northstar and sierra get ridiculously crowded on saturdays, really long lift lines. Just watch out for road closures on the way to kirkwood, theres a bigger chance theyll close the road to kirkwood then any of the other resorts
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 1:55pm
Kirkwood is really cool but if it snows you might get stuck on the road from kirkwood back to tahoe.
elmasri90 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 1:58pm
kirkwood for sure. sierra is a nice too, but kirkwood is GREAT for freeriding
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 4:05pm
here are my thoughts:

big storm is going to impact your plans no matter what.  they work like mad to keep I-80 open as its a major artery, but that also means more cars and usually an accident hold or two per day on a big storm. 

US-50 is single lane, usually can make it to Sierra if they close Echo into SLT proper. 

IMO, Sierra at Tahoe should be the "Plan B" as 95% of the time you can make it.

So for Plan A, the obvious name mountains are Kirkwood and Squaw.  of the two I'd hit Kirkwood, Squaw doesn't do it for me, both have slow lifts, Squaw can be on wind hold while CA-88 to K-wood can be closed for days at a time.

I'd aim for either of those two, and use Sierra as a back-up then hang out in the West Bowl all day.
-zakk

Davor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 5:42pm
Thanks all, I appreciate your posts! It looks like road conditions will decide it for me: lots of snow is a mixed blessing, awesome if you can make it, but sucks if you get stuck, especially for me this time as I only have one day to make it. One way or another I'll be happy to get anyplace (safely) and enjoy the snow...
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 7:09pm
One thing to keep in mind is that N* is wind protected which can make for a better day if it is storming hard when you are riding.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 7:47pm
wind's not always a bad thing. I was at kirkwood today, and the wind kept sweeping new snow into tracks, so it was like fresh tracks every hour!
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by getkong

wind's not always a bad thing. I was at kirkwood today, and the wind kept sweeping new snow into tracks, so it was like fresh tracks every hour!

It just sucks driving up there and having them start shutting down lifts because of the wind. Thumbs Down 
kalynn505 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Spenser W.

How is sierra a better place for skiers?  They have a halfpipe, tons of really well-kept-up parks, and amazing tree runs and powder stashes on the right days.  Northstar is better for tourists and annoying crowds. Yes Sierra does get crowded too, especially on weekends.  But Sundays are worse than saturdays. To the OP, I'd REALLY check the road conditions this weekend if you're going to Kirkwood.  They close that highway all the time, and it's supposed to dump 3 feet between fri and sat.  Kirkwood will be absolutely epic if you can GET there, but getting there can be dicey.  Especially if you gotta get back to Sac for work on Sunday.  happy shredding!

I agree with what Spencer said: How is Sierra in any way a skier resort? I will admit there are a few runs like Eastbout that are mogul'd out but pretty much every other run is boarder friendly with nice slopes and very few flat spots & the whole atmosphere is way more relaxed unlike the skier orient resorts I've been too. They have amazing parks and awesome tree runs throughout. Hell, even the stuff they post on the website & on Facebook deal more with boarders than skiers. I would say the exact opposite- that resorts like Heavenly and Kirkwood would cater more to your skiing crowd(although they still rock for snowboarding too, especially for powdered tree runs).

N* gets packed on weekends, more so than Sierra. The only difference is that N* is a larger resort with a lot bigger parking lot & more terrain so they don't fill up as quickly. But even being bigger, the lift lines SUCK. Especially if you like to do park since they are pretty much all off the same lift. And 80 usually has more closures that 50 does from my experience, probably due to the fact that 80 usually gets a little heaver snowfall during a storm. But I wouldn't worry to much about how busy it is. There are no major holidays this weekend & with the consistent snowfall for the last 3 weeks, the resorts seem to be much quieter compared to February. I don't think as many bay area people are rushing up to the mountain to get the fresh pow because there has been so much of it. I would also make your decision off of where in Sac you will be staying seeing as both 50 & 80 run through it on opposite sides. You might be better off heading up 80 if your on that side, or visa versa.

Also keep in mind that Kirkwood will be hard to get too because they usually close during storms, especially since we've been hammered so much already this month. If you get a dry day this next week then definitely check and see if 88/89 have opened(they stay closed longer for avalanche control between storms) and hit up Kirkwood. Love the mountain & its usually pretty empty. At any rate with the conditions the way they will be, you are sure to have fun no matter which mountain you decide to go to so I wouldn't stress about it to much.         :)
Davor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 2:52am
Originally posted by kalynn505

Originally posted by Spenser W.

How is sierra a better place for skiers?  They have a halfpipe, tons of really well-kept-up parks, and amazing tree runs and powder stashes on the right days.  Northstar is better for tourists and annoying crowds. Yes Sierra does get crowded too, especially on weekends.  But Sundays are worse than saturdays. To the OP, I'd REALLY check the road conditions this weekend if you're going to Kirkwood.  They close that highway all the time, and it's supposed to dump 3 feet between fri and sat.  Kirkwood will be absolutely epic if you can GET there, but getting there can be dicey.  Especially if you gotta get back to Sac for work on Sunday.  happy shredding!

I agree with what Spencer said: How is Sierra in any way a skier resort? I will admit there are a few runs like Eastbout that are mogul'd out but pretty much every other run is boarder friendly with nice slopes and very few flat spots & the whole atmosphere is way more relaxed unlike the skier orient resorts I've been too. They have amazing parks and awesome tree runs throughout. Hell, even the stuff they post on the website & on Facebook deal more with boarders than skiers. I would say the exact opposite- that resorts like Heavenly and Kirkwood would cater more to your skiing crowd(although they still rock for snowboarding too, especially for powdered tree runs).

N* gets packed on weekends, more so than Sierra. The only difference is that N* is a larger resort with a lot bigger parking lot & more terrain so they don't fill up as quickly. But even being bigger, the lift lines SUCK. Especially if you like to do park since they are pretty much all off the same lift. And 80 usually has more closures that 50 does from my experience, probably due to the fact that 80 usually gets a little heaver snowfall during a storm. But I wouldn't worry to much about how busy it is. There are no major holidays this weekend & with the consistent snowfall for the last 3 weeks, the resorts seem to be much quieter compared to February. I don't think as many bay area people are rushing up to the mountain to get the fresh pow because there has been so much of it. I would also make your decision off of where in Sac you will be staying seeing as both 50 & 80 run through it on opposite sides. You might be better off heading up 80 if your on that side, or visa versa.

Also keep in mind that Kirkwood will be hard to get too because they usually close during storms, especially since we've been hammered so much already this month. If you get a dry day this next week then definitely check and see if 88/89 have opened(they stay closed longer for avalanche control between storms) and hit up Kirkwood. Love the mountain & its usually pretty empty. At any rate with the conditions the way they will be, you are sure to have fun no matter which mountain you decide to go to so I wouldn't stress about it to much.         :)

I'm staying at J St, so it looks like both  50& 80 are about similar distance from the hotel. I remember driving to Sugar Bowl two years ago was easy, dry most of the way. 
Jaybez View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 4:56am
Of that group, I would say Kirkwood. But heavenly would be a nice choice as well.
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 6:34am

Kirkwood was easily my favorite mountain in that area.  It wasn't even that close.  Squaw Valley was cool too, but the conditions that day weren't great, so I can't give it a fair grade.  Not a big fan of Heavenly, but South Lake is a great place to stay.

twinsin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CHOO CHOO

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 7:41am
Bleh, decided against going to Kirkwood this weekend since I'm not really into driving up in a snowstorm...probably gonna wait till it's a little clearer to go out.

FYI -- Kirkwood will be open at least to the end of April according to their press releases.
ma3lstrom13 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 9:56am
^Thats pretty good news. Kirkwood is always really open. Probably because it is more out of the way. I feel some spring sessions coming Big smile
Brian2127 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 10:02am
I just got back last week from Tahoe. Kirkwood was awesome!! It's in great shape. I wasn't that wild about Sierra though. They had a power outage and part of the mountain was closed.
Bonitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 10:18am
again? i was at sierra two weeks ago, and the westbowl was closed all day b/c of a power outage. sucked.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Bonitis

again? i was at sierra two weeks ago, and the westbowl was closed all day b/c of a power outage. sucked.

Why would there be a power outage?  Isn't there like a back up generator? 
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Bonitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 11:11am
they used a diesel generator to power it long enough to get all the people off. that was it. was talking to some skier who was stuck up there for an hour; they gave him a free lift ticket.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 12:01pm
sierra all the way baby.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Bonitis

well, Kirkwood's power plant caught fire last year, being off grid, in the mountains, etc. etc. does have it's drawbacks. 

if you want to be safe, wrap yourself in bubble wrap and stay home. 
-zakk

dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by twinsin

Not to threadjack, but if Kirkwood is expected to get dumped on Fri and Sat hard and 6-10" on Sunday, what's the chances of 88 closing? Coming from Sac and don't want to have to turn around because of no road access.

They'll do their best to keep 88 clear, but it'll be tough if it snow hard through the night. They can usually get it open in the morning and afternoon when most people will be driving through, but close it in the middle of the day to plow and do avalanche control. Check the CalTrans website in the morning for road conditions and decide from there.

I still think Sugarbowl would be the best "plan B".
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2011 at 12:38pm
From Monday.... a small taste of what you have to look forward to.

Post Reply Post Reply