Extra 10-20% off select Purchases
More Info - Join Now
0 Staff | 18 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 399,988 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > Travel, Resorts & Regional Riders > East Coast Riders

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Topic ClosedApril Break Jay Peak Trip

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: April Break Jay Peak Trip
    Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 2:34pm
Considering a trip with my son April 16/17 weekend and a few days into the week. Looks like Jay should still have some snow left. I've heard the Snowline Lodge is good, does anybody have any suggestions? Looks like we would qualify for slightly cheaper lift tickets as other mountain season pass holders.

Just got back from a nice weekend of spring conditions at Belleayre.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by belleayre

Considering a trip with my son April 16/17 weekend and a few days into the week. Looks like Jay should still have some snow left. I've heard the Snowline Lodge is good, does anybody have any suggestions? Looks like we would qualify for slightly cheaper lift tickets as other mountain season pass holders.

I am sure they will have some snow left at Jay that week but are they planning to be open? Most resorts are shut down by then not only due to the dwindling snow conditions but from lack of interest from those who look out their windows and don't see snow.

We were at Sugarloaf in Maine last year during the the April school vacation week (M-F) and they had the most open terrain open in the Northeast at that time.
vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by snowmen

Originally posted by belleayre

I am sure they will have some snow left at Jay that week but are they planning to be open? Most resorts are shut down by then not only due to the dwindling snow conditions but from lack of interest from those who look out their windows and don't see snow.

We were at Sugarloaf in Maine last year during the the April school vacation week (M-F) and they had the most open terrain open in the Northeast at that time.

Unless they get some very warm/wet weather in the next 3+ weeks you should be fine at Jay.  I will not guarantee fantastic conditions and more than 25 or so trails open (give or take) but they will have the best conditions in VT at that time of the season.  Last year was what I would call a shitty snow season for northern VT and when every other resort had long shut down Jay stayed open (with 1 lift and 3 trails if I remember correctly) and were rewarded with two late season storms, one of which dumped 24" in the last week of April allowing them to stay open on the weekends through the first weekend of May.  This year they have already received some 320"+ and it is snowing as I type this so chances are there will still be some decent coverage in mid April.

I can't give you any info on the Snowline, but I would check out some of the deals at the mountain, my guess is you will be able to get some very good weekend rates including lift tickets in the next few weeks.  Enjoy!
exastronaut View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 7:47pm
Just to give you a little update if you don't see it in the other thread-

Jay is still 100% open, and just got a 12-14" dump this past Saturday. Vandi^^^ and I hit it up on Sunday and conditions were like mid-winter, no springtime slush to be found. They are at 359" on the season, plus more snow is coming tomorrow night through Friday, and again early next week.

If it stays cold next week and the precip falls as snow and not rain, they could still be damn near 100% open in mid April. This is definitely a good season to get some late riding in up in Northern VT.
vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2011 at 6:49am
To follow up on exastro's update, the forecast is calling for at least 10" to 12" starting tonight and continuing through tomorrow and possibly into Saturday so conditions are only about to get better as he mentioned above.  

Below is a link to a great deal currently being offered on Jay's website which includes lodging and lift tiks.

Wkend deal-Lift-lodging in Tram Haus Suite-shot @ a storm $96 pp/pn-GO
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2011 at 6:54am
l'm going with a school excusersion to go this week. is there enough snow there currently to make it worthwhile to bring my board and not damage my base?
vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2011 at 6:57am
Most definitely, you will be sorry if you don't.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2011 at 6:58am
any brown spots or lightly snowed over area? because if l dont bring my board l'll rent, but thats only if the snow is realyl shallow cuz l dont want to risk damage
vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2011 at 7:01am
No, full coverage with more on the way
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2011 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by keljai

any brown spots or lightly snowed over area? because if l dont bring my board l'll rent, but thats only if the snow is realyl shallow cuz l dont want to risk damage

They're reporting a base depth of 45-55" right now, pretty far from being thin cover.

The only way you'll find a brown spot is by bringing a shovel.
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2011 at 3:58pm
I'm stoked. Staying local this weekend and Belleayre may be getting a foot of snow. It's been quite a season and ending it with a week at Jay will be perfect.
Dice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2011 at 7:29pm
They are having great weather. Dump after dump. Wink Our resorts close April 10 and I'm heading to JP the weekend(s) after until they close.

Just for reference, I called and so far they don't have any set days to close and was told they "could" open until May if weather keeps up like it is now.

Cheers...
PEOPLE ARE ALL THE SAMEā€¦ THEY ALL THINK THEY ARE DIFFERENT!!! -------- GEAR: Palmer Timeless 164, Nitro Haze 156, Burton T6 164, Ride Machete 161W (LE), Burton P1.1, Burton C60, Union Force SL, K2 DB T1 (boots)
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2011 at 3:33am
I am looking to head up to Jay for Mon and Tues. Does anyone have a conditions update?
Dsturs View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2011 at 8:21am
Tons of snow still everywhere basically. They got hammered late season. Should hold up for quite some time.
bigbouldersucks
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2011 at 4:48pm
If it wasn't an eight hour trip with uncertain weather I'd head up to Jay. There was plenty of snow last weekend in the Catskills but the conditions were too damn slow, got frustrating after a while. Spent a couple of days cleaning the car and washing some of the aftermath of spring riding out of our gear....
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2011 at 6:04pm
All trails and glades are still open with a few exceptions- The upper mountain chutes are closed, and a few trails through the middle of  the mountain are closed. Basically, the gnarliest stuff at the top where they don't make snow, and the trails that stick out a bit and are more exposed to sun/ wind. Still, 71 of 77 trails and glades open. They're reporting a base depth of 40-50" but I don't know where that measurement comes from exactly.

It's rain/ freezing rain here in S. Burlington right now, probably mixed precip at Jay as well, though I've got my fingers crossed that it's snow. Mixed precip in the forecast for the next few days, so we'll just have to see how it goes. Either way, it's going to stay relatively cold and there shouldn't be much r.a.i.n.

Had a great time there a week ago, still looking to get there sometime this week. Most every other resort closes this weekend, so Jay will be fighting the good fight alone.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2011 at 3:41am
Originally posted by exastronaut

All trails and glades are still open with a few exceptions- The upper mountain chutes are closed, and a few trails through the middle of  the mountain are closed. Basically, the gnarliest stuff at the top where they don't make snow, and the trails that stick out a bit and are more exposed to sun/ wind. Still, 71 of 77 trails and glades open. They're reporting a base depth of 40-50" but I don't know where that measurement comes from exactly.

It's rain/ freezing rain here in S. Burlington right now, probably mixed precip at Jay as well, though I've got my fingers crossed that it's snow. Mixed precip in the forecast for the next few days, so we'll just have to see how it goes. Either way, it's going to stay relatively cold and there shouldn't be much r.a.i.n.

Had a great time there a week ago, still looking to get there sometime this week. Most every other resort closes this weekend, so Jay will be fighting the good fight alone.

Thanks for the info. We are going to head up their and hope for the best. Sorry to hear the Chutes are closed. Saw that the Tram, Bonnie and Flyer were on wind hold yesterday and it is worse today. Hopefully the winds calm for tomorrow and Tues.
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2011 at 4:35am
oh noooes, its 17 today meaning he went already. Rmb to bring some pictures!! hopefully it does snow, snowed like 1/2mm just right now 
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2011 at 4:20pm
There's a storm moving through right now. The winds will hopefully die down when this front moves through, and things will be calmer tomorrow.

They're still calling for snow turning into a wintry mix. It will be a bit messy, but the snow and rain might effectively cancel each other out, so there may not be a net gain or loss of snow.

It's definitely the beginning of spring around here though. 'Wintry mix' might be the best forecast we have for the rest of the season.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 3:43pm
Just got back tonight from Jay. We rode Mon and Tues and they still have lots of snow. The Tram was on wind hold until about Noon on Monday so we stayed Stateside most of the morning. Jay actually got 3" of snow Sunday night so there was 3"-5" of powder on some of the more sheltered trails and in the trees, which was a pleasant surprise. Monday felt more like winter than spring. The groomers like Jet were pretty firm and chunky on Monday. As you know the Chutes are all wind swept, iced and closed. Kitzbuehl is opened with big bumps and a little bit of thin cover. Today they groomed quite a bit and the groomers were in great shape this morning. The sun was out today, the wind was gone and things were turning to slush by 1PM. Both Bonnie and the Flyer are closed mid-week which makes it a bit of pain to get around. Overall we had a great time and Jay is having a great Spring package deal in the Condos at $90 pp/pn for two nights, includes lifts. It is always good to get some decent riding in this late in the season
 Post Reply Post Reply