Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
StayUp916 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Powder Vs. Park Debate - Please Respond
    Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 6:02pm
Ok...so here's the story.  It has been snowing in Tahoe, a lot, for the past month.  Every time in the past month I have ridden with my friend it has been a powder day.  Every time he asks me, "Do you think the parks will be open" "can we ride park".  It's a powder day, and not six inches of powder, 10, 12, 14 and some days we even had 18-24 inch overnight fall.  He says he is tired of riding powder.  I keep telling him he isn't a real snowboarder if he would rather be hitting (medium) park features instead of hitting backcountry gates and sick ass tree runs at Northstar, Sierra, and Heavenly.  Here is the question:

On a powder day would you ride park? 

I keep referring him to this video, the first 15 seconds says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3MJyrLRvHk
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 6:08pm
I would NEVER ride park on a pow day.  Usually parks aren't even OPEN.  I guess I understand being "sick" of powder days-it's really tiring to ride pow every day.  However, no # of awesome park laps could replace one epic pow day.  Especially at Sierra.
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by StayUp916

I keep telling him he isn't a real snowboarder if he would rather be hitting (medium) park features instead of hitting backcountry gates and sick ass tree runs at Northstar, Sierra, and Heavenly.  Here is the question:

And you aren't a real snowboarder for trying to judge someone's preferences when it comes to snowboarding.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Skoojoo View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 6:13pm
I ride park on a powder day when or if its all tracked out in the afternoon. Usually the park blows on most power days anyway. What is more fun than the park when there is powder is all mountain freestyle off of rock drops, cliffs, fallen trees, etc.
'10 Academy Team 152 w/ '10 Flux Super Titan
'10 Rome Pusher 150 w/ '10 Flux Super Emblem
'10 Sierra Stunt 147 w/ '10 Flux Super Emblem
'11 GNU LDT Park Pickle 153 w/ '10 Super Emblems
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 6:14pm
I agree that powder is legit as hell and given the choice I'd take the powder day every time.  At the same time I can see where your friend is coming from.  It's funny that you post Bauvelt because he is an amazing park rider.  Here's the catch though, I don't believe he'd be pro if he didn't have the diversity that riding in the park gives you.  The only reason I started riding park was to develop my riding skills. 

So I can see both sides.  Sometimes riding pow gets old especially in the resorts.  There's nothing to launch off of.  All the landings are variable (some gapper might have side slipped your whole landing).  It's not the greatest for progression. 
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
StayUp916 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 6:16pm
not-ewrx: In Tahoe you can find untouched tracks all day, rock drops, logs, so much natural it's ridiculous :)  It's not just dropping off on the side off groomers. :)
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 6:26pm

not-ewrx: In Tahoe you can find untouched tracks all day, rock drops, logs, so much natural it's ridiculous :)  It's not just dropping off on the side off groomers. :)

I free-rode snowbird all day and while I agree, there's a finite limit to the amount of air you can get.  There's no consistency.  The park stays pretty consistent and lets you progress more. 
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
StayUp916 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 6:36pm
I agree, park is more consistent.  If you want to argue with that approach, riding powder will

A) Make you more aware, you have to constantly be looking changing terrain.
B) Build stronger "snowboard" muscles
C) More confident, if you can hit some rock, lip, wall where you can't see the other side, when you go back to riding park in the spring you can go "oh yeah this jump is easy, I can actually see where I am going to land"
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 6:37pm
dude, dont be a jerk. This isnt even a park v pow question, its a question of how to get along with other people. I hate park, but ill lap it if im with people that like it for half a day or so. If you want to do only what you want to do then ride by yourself. If youre riding with other people (and you want them to carry on riding with you in the future), then you really need to learn to compromise.
m00m
c-money View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sick

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 6:46pm
why don't you ride both? ride powder for a while, ride park for a bit to make him happy. maybe mix up the powder runs, find some natural jumps or something to make him happy. they're fun anyway
StayUp916 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 6:50pm
Half the time the park isn't even set-up on a powder day.  The basis of this post is,

Park Vs Powder  not feelings, friends and all that stuff,  I have given in and hit some park before, it's not an all or nothing thing, but

Park vs Powder
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by ippollite

dude, dont be a jerk. This isnt even a park v pow question, its a question of how to get along with other people. I hate park, but ill lap it if im with people that like it for half a day or so. If you want to do only what you want to do then ride by yourself. If youre riding with other people (and you want them to carry on riding with you in the future), then you really need to learn to compromise.

+1 to that. Isn't boarding supposed to be about having fun with buds?

But normally, pow days happen less often than non-pow days. We're just lucky right now, take advantage. Some places don't get any real pow days. Your bud will have plenty of park days in the coming month or so. Tell him to lighten up and ride the pow while you can.
No Sig... I'm just not that witty or creative
StayUp916 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 6:52pm

But normally, pow days happen less often than non-pow days. We're just lucky right now, take advantage. Some places don't get any real pow days. Your bud will have plenty of park days in the coming month or so. Tell him to lighten up and ride the pow while you can.

This is exactly what I say.
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 6:59pm
sorry, they are not comparable.

The only thing I can agree on is the park is not "maintained" on powder days.
Did you google it?
B1-5G View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 7:05pm
There's nothing wrong with being a little tired of something. I'm sure this can go the other way as well. I would at least go to the park and see what the conditions are like and if it's not working out, at least the snow is still falling.
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by B1-5G

There's nothing wrong with being a little tired of something. I'm sure this can go the other way as well. I would at least go to the park and see what the conditions are like and if it's not working out, at least the snow is still falling.

Sure, there's nothing wrong with being tired of something.  It's not debatable.  One person prefers park and the other prefers powder.  That's it.

It's like saying the all-mtn vs park debate...they aren't comparable.  It's just a preference.

Did you google it?
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 7:17pm
park days when the snow is crap... powder after a storm... in socal we get a lot more park days than powder days make the most of what u got right?
ParkRat530 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 7:39pm
Hi! I'm the dude that rides with StayUp916 and it's true that I've complained about not doing enough park when I'm with him over the last couple of weeks. With all debates, there are substantiative points/facts that aren't brought up so I thought I'd add a couple of items to fatten up the discussion:

1. When the snow started dumping in Feburary 2011, I've been riding backcountry with him for (nearly) the whole month. Over the last couple of weeks, I grew tired of powder and wanted to refocus on park.
2. I'm a lazy person. Although I like riding backcountry with my friend, my laziness catches up to me eventually and provokes me to do easy laps around the park.
3. I really want to lock down simple 180 & 360 spins off medium kickers in the park before the season is over. I started snowboarding 2yrs ago and I broke my ankle Feb. 2010; which cut last year's snowboard session in half so I'm feel I have a little catching up to do.

It's awesome riding with StayUp but at some point, I have to take a break and do what I want. Maybe I'm not a real snowboarder because of this, but if it's powder day and I don't feel up for it... I'm not doing backcountry. Although, I'm going to do backcountry this coming week because ski patrol were being real a-holes at the park today (and another reason).
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 7:47pm
You should make a venn diagram of Park vs. Powder, what they share and what each has that the other doesn't; then report back to us.
StayUp916 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 7:51pm
ParkRat530.....bahahahahaha >:)

You will have aaaaallllllllll of April to ride park.........

dking:
StayUp916 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 7:51pm
And you are a REAL snowboarder, you know I just have to give you crap :)
bonkfisher5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Stepchild Chi Borg

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 7:55pm
Dude: I'm sick of pow
Me: LLOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

Maybe if I was blessed with many many continuous days of pow I would change.
Crushing the whistler bike park! Check it out! http://www.pinkbike.com/video/215809/
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 7:56pm
riding pow is the only part of snowboarding i will never get tired of.

if there were no real terrain then sure, but pow + good terrain...... i'm just gonna go ahead and say anyone that gets "tired" of that is crazy.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 7:57pm
I think they just need a break from each other LOL 

Stayup should find someone who is into powder as he/she is and Parkrat should find a parkrat friend. It's preference and both of you guys are on different pages as to what you want to do while riding.  Find someone who has a more similar riding style.

I can ride both but if there is no challenge or interesting terrain I will get bored...like an ungroomed pow groomer at the bottom of the mountain...where it's flat...and nothing to do. 
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
StayUp916 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 7:59pm
So Hana what you are saying is Powder > Park?

And yeah we have lots of people we ride with....but we are good friends so we have to argue about stuff :)
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 8:04pm
Oh! I definately found a ParkRat to ride with. He's better than me too, which is awesome. I'm sure at some point I'll get tired of park and want to hit backcountry again. I understand there might not be powder when I want backcountry, but I'm willing to live with that regret. I guess I'll know better next year if that happens.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 8:06pm

So Hana what you are saying is Powder > Park?

And yeah we have lots of people we ride with....but we are good friends so we have to argue about stuff :)

I find them both equally fun...I have been known to ride through the park on a pow day since launching off the kickers have less consequences.  I have been scolded from old man migs for doing that LOL

I actually ride both natural terrain and park on a pow day...so....yeah...

My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by spenser

if there were no real terrain then sure, but pow + good terrain...... i'm just gonna go ahead and say anyone that gets "tired" of that is crazy.

Yeah the best park is the natural one.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by BudAshes

I'm a frickin' maniac.
bonkfisher5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Stepchild Chi Borg

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by BudAshes

ughhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnn yes, natural kickers and pillow lines all day in my dream land.
Crushing the whistler bike park! Check it out! http://www.pinkbike.com/video/215809/
caswellmax View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 4:31am
i live in nashville and so getting to ride is a real treat but the past 3 trips ive taken all i get is powder i dont know what is going on but its crazy. i havent ridden park in almost 2 years and its starting to get annoying. but true no amount of park can equal those good powder turns. powder>park
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 4:35am
meh.  who cares?  I personally would rather riding pow on a pow day (and the few days after even) but once it's gone, it's all park for me.  I'll warm up on a few groomers but just lapping corduroy trails all day and riding icy tree lines is not for me.
-zakk

watching-sunset View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 4:38am
no park.. no way! there's nothing better then riding the pow...!

only freeride and backcountry))
Push hard and you'll reach the top
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 4:40am
l guess the 2 riding style is different and he isn't an mountain trail dude, more of a park hitter. but even then, on a pow day, you got to ride it given the opportunity. it also depends how many times u went within that week, cuz if yo u went 10 days and not even 1 day of park, l think your friend got a case going
powpowpirate View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
cheeky

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 4:46am
As I already told your friend... snowboarding is all about having fun. When people are super stuck on progressing a certain skill/new trick within a timeline it can sometimes take away from the enjoyment of living in the moment (which may be riding an amazing powder day)... since Tahoe is getting dumped on and he (like myself) is still really learning to ride the deep stuff, it can be tiring and a person can get really antsy to work on something different.

As Scorer said, we really shouldn't judge others by what they want to ride... Personally I wouldn't give up a pow day to ride park, but sometimes it is hard to resist the gravitational pull of the park!! With that...the park isn't groomed on most pow days so on those days, the magnitism has no effect on me :-) You'll find me in the trees.

To sum it up... in a few clich├ęs:
To each their own...
Sieze the day...
Live fast, die happy Star
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 5:58am
Originally posted by bonkfisher5

i agree.  tired of pow???  wow, someone sounds spoiled.  At my local "mountain", there is no such thing as a pow day.

I pay thousands of dollars to go on trips just for a CHANCE of pow.  $1500 to aspen for 1 pow day, $3500 to japan for 3 pow days, $1300 to whistler for 1 pow day, $2000 to chile no pow, $1200 mammoth no pow.  

$9500 total for 5 pow days.

That's $1900 per pow day.

So, if you ask me... if there's pow, I'm riding it.  

Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 6:09am
Originally posted by mech9t5

i agree.  tired of pow???  wow, someone sounds spoiled.  At my local "mountain", there is no such thing as a pow day.

I pay thousands of dollars to go on trips just for a CHANCE of pow.  $1500 to aspen for 1 pow day, $3500 to japan for 3 pow days, $1300 to whistler for 1 pow day, $2000 to chile no pow, $1200 mammoth no pow.  

So, aside from you boasting about your awesome trips and money spent, basically you have to travel to snowboard and a chance to ride pow, but for many others we live in spots that get pow on the reg. That is where the difference in opinions is going to come in. Its a pretty obvious answer that if your on vacation and get  a snow day you are going to go ride pow.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
jjfreak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 6:26am
So Jealous.....someone getting sick of pow....hahaha
Powder is definitely more fun than park for me, but if you ride powder everyday or everytime you go, it might get tiring.
Maybe 2-3 pow and then 1 park and keep switching it up.
PROCRASTINATION - Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 6:32am
I love the park though i dont have much experince riding backcountry powder and wish i could be like dude from above dropping 10K on trips that living the f ing dream right there
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 6:35am
Originally posted by scuddera

I love the park though i dont have much experince riding backcountry powder and wish i could be like dude from above dropping 10K on trips that living the f ing dream right there

he's just bragging about all the $$$ he can spend.  He lives in BC and if he has to spend all the money finding powder, he's doing it wrong. 
-zakk

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 6:41am
pow - no brainer.

park days around here are hardpack and ice everywhere else...so that and groomers are really your only choice

on powder days, you can ride packed down side hits, powder runs, drop cliffs, etc.  It's 2 for 1, foo
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Scorer099

So, aside from you boasting about your awesome trips and money spent, basically you have to travel to snowboard and a chance to ride pow, but for many others we live in spots that get pow on the reg. That is where the difference in opinions is going to come in. Its a pretty obvious answer that if your on vacation and get  a snow day you are going to go ride pow.

I spend 250 for a season pass to Sierra at Tahoe (plus another 100 bucks to be able to cut all the lines all year).  And I probably have 5 pow days this year.  So...50 bucks per pow day?  This makes me feel very economical, hahahaha. 
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
SnapShot View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 7:04am
If I was experiencing as much weatherly love as you guys are, I might just take a day and hit up the park.  Depends on how I would feel on that day and how nice the freshies look.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 8:02am
I would have to say powder..
just because days without snow or much more plentiful than powder days..

its not like everyday you have the choice to ride powder or park...
usually it is groomers.. (ice in the east coast, or hardpack)
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 8:35am
Originally posted by zakk

he's just bragging about all the $$$ he can spend.  He lives in BC and if he has to spend all the money finding powder, he's doing it wrong.  

if i'm bragging then I guess this guy is "bragging" how many pow days he's getting.  

You say dropping $10k on trips is "living the f'ing dream?", I say doing 30 days a season in the rockies is living the f'ing dream.  Or, "getting tired of a month of pow" is living the f'ing dream.  You think I want to spend that much money just to go ride?  nice to know internet jealously is still thriving...

btw, I think it's pretty obvious I don't live in BC when whistler cost me $1300.  think about it...

dirtysouth View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
cuban in costa rica

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Scorer099

I keep telling him he isn't a real snowboarder if he would rather be hitting (medium) park features instead of hitting backcountry gates and sick ass tree runs at Northstar, Sierra, and Heavenly.  Here is the question:

And you aren't a real snowboarder for trying to judge someone's preferences when it comes to snowboarding.

Thumbs Up

ma3lstrom13 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 8:55am
Well I don't see pow much on the level of what you described so in that case I would take advantage of the pow. 
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 9:08am

Originally posted by zakk

if i'm bragging then I guess this guy is "bragging" how many pow days he's getting.  

You say dropping $10k on trips is "living the f'ing dream?", I say doing 30 days a season in the rockies is living the f'ing dream.  Or, "getting tired of a month of pow" is living the f'ing dream.  You think I want to spend that much money just to go ride?  nice to know internet jealously is still thriving...

btw, I think it's pretty obvious I don't live in BC when whistler cost me $1300.  think about it...

then filling out a profile correctly is too much to ask, I guess. 

http://www.trusnow.com/profile.asp?PF=254252
-zakk

Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 9:10am
Why not practice the spins off of natural features?  Powder means trying new things without hopefully breaking yourself.  I started landing a few new things this weekend in powder that I never would have even tried if the ground wasn't so soft.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 9:18am
Does it matter?  Just get out and ride.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>