Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Just4Qyx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tennis
    Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 1:58pm
I'm a 4.5-5.0 player with long base-line strokes & slow swing speed.
Forehand: Eastern Grip
Backhand: Western Grip/1-handed

I currently have in my bag the Wilson BLX 6.1 Tour, K6.1 95 (18x20) & ProStaff Original 95.

Strings: Wilson Natural Gut 16 gauge main / Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough 16L gauge cross Hybrid

I've demo'd & ruled out:
Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT (Not as good control as 6.1 line, better for fast swings & spin)
Babolat Pure Drive GT (better for fast swings, spin, and semi-western forehands)
Volkl Powerbridge10Mid (butter and great control, but wobbly & atypical grip)

However I highly recommend demoing all these racquets as they cover a good spectrum.

Favorite Tennis players of all time (chronological): Lendl, Edberg, Sampras, Federer

In High School I was 1st Doubles/4th Singles. Now I just play socially from time to time.
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 2:10pm
got a wilson k factor 6, federer. I only play casually with friends. I use to play in comp (doubles) and was ranked 2nd doubles pair in the team. but was at 7 (out of 10) in singles :(
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
New 2012 setup for outerwear

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 4:05pm
well i got a new babalot yesterday in downtown chicago. i got the drive z mid. its really nice and it has vx xcel string. the paint same off most of it in one match i played today.
11 Dc lauri pro tone, 11 Rome s90 bindings

Check out www.wonsnow.com
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2011 at 2:23am
I really like Babolat's and will probably never switch to another brand. And the strings that I have compliment my racquet a lot too.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2011 at 5:03pm
yea im just going to get some black babalot rpm string

skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 1:27am
Yeah that is the kind I have RPM blast and I love it. It is perfect if you have a heavy topspin game and want more RPM's on it along with some power.
Just4Qyx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 10:51am
Babolat racquets IMO are good only for semi-western forehands (spin).  If you have a more traditional Eastern or Continental flat forehand stroke, Babolat racquets don't have the power & control that Wilson ProStaff/Tour racquets have.
mrwookie View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 2:35pm
Babolat rackets have good power (used a 2nd gen pure drive (w/cortex) but i didnt like it becuase i kept framing my shots (the width of the head was too big). Thus i decided to switch to rackets that have a thinner head width (or whatever its called).

I think Babolat RPM is a good string but i felt that it lost tension too quickly.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 4:19pm
i went to my local indoor tennis court and it was 35 dollars for string and labor. i told the expert to put on what string is good for the raquet. also when i get my babalot re strung in a couple days im putting on rpm. they better have it. ohhh yea is $21 a lot for an hour of tennis indoors?

odoyale rules View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 4:41pm
I played a lot in high school, but I will probably start playing a bunch again in summer. I have a babolat aeropro drive (the yellow racket). 

My favorite player would have to be nadal, although I like some of the fancy tricks Roger pulls every once in a while Wink
18 days and counting

I make custom diecuts (stickers). PM me for info
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 4:42pm
^^^ thats thw raquet i was gonna buy but i bought a different one. how can you upload photos on here from google??

LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 4:44pm
I grew up on a racquetball court, tennis didn't come until high school. I still play occasionally if the weather's right. 
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
muddog257 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 5:14pm
Yeah i like nadal too. I want the areodrive but there so expensive. i love babolat. there grip is amazing, its difffernt form all the other companies. It is like a hexagon shape and just fits well in my hand.
daevilbeast View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 5:32pm
grrrrr
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2011 at 1:59am
Lost another match the other day but then we played the other team's like 12 and 13 men and we killed them 10-0 in a ten game set.
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2011 at 1:45am
What kind of grips do you recommend?
monax View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2011 at 1:58am
just wondering if any squash player here?
mrwookie View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by skyfooze

Currently im using wilson pro overgrips which are very tacky. If you sweat a lot in your palms then i suggest looking into tournagrip (the bluish one). If you want something that is tacky and has a soft feel i suggest yonex supergrap overgrips.
tiddles182 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 3:56pm
yeah i use to play squash at uni.
Just4Qyx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 11:17am
Originally posted by mrwookie

Originally posted by skyfooze

Currently im using wilson pro overgrips which are very tacky. If you sweat a lot in your palms then i suggest looking into tournagrip (the bluish one). If you want something that is tacky and has a soft feel i suggest yonex supergrap overgrips.

Definitely agree, Wilson Pro Overgrips FTW.  I used to swear by Pete Sampras Tournagrips during competition, but they would only last 1 match at most, IF that.  For leisure play I don't like the hassle and Wilson Pro Overgrips last MUCH longer than Gamma and just have a nicer feel.
odoyale rules View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 11:23am
Originally posted by luv2shred

^^^ thats thw raquet i was gonna buy but i bought a different one. how can you upload photos on here from google??
Just find the image link?

Oh and Wilson overgrips are definitely the way to go
18 days and counting

I make custom diecuts (stickers). PM me for info
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2011 at 1:31am
My team won another match the other day and I won my second singles match of the year. Now I have to go to the County flight tournament.
krooroo21 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
x games

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2011 at 9:25am
i play currently on my jv highschool team. i'm not very good, in fact i'm ranked around 13th and i just lost my last singles match pretty badly. but i enjoy tennis because it's something that i'll know how to do for the rest of my life. i use wilson rackets.. i've wanted to try heavier ones, but i'm not sure how it'll effect my playing.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2011 at 9:28am
Originally posted by krooroo21

i play currently on my jv highschool team. i'm not very good, in fact i'm ranked around 13th and i just lost my last singles match pretty badly. but i enjoy tennis because it's something that i'll know how to do for the rest of my life. i use wilson rackets.. i've wanted to try heavier ones, but i'm not sure how it'll effect my playing.

heh my buddy coaches high school girls varsity, you'll get there.
Just4Qyx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2011 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by krooroo21

If I could go back in time and give myself tips while I was on the HS varsity team, i'd tell myself to switch to a pro-level racquet sooner than later. 

If you already like your Wilson racquets, and if you aren't using the six.one or ProStaff Tour racquets, you should start demo-ing these ASAP.  If these aren't right for you, try other same level racquets: Babolat Pure Drive or Storm GT, Prince Triple Threat, etc.  If you find control & consistency to be an issue, it means you may have a fast swing coupled with a power racquet.  You may need to switch to a control racquet, one that's heavier like the Tour series.  An economical option if you can't afford new racquets is to slap on some lead tape to your current Wilson frames to see if that helps your control (find them cheap at any sports store).

If you buy, stay away from marketing & hype (ie. Hammer, Liquid Metal, etc.), go with tried and true. http://www.tenniswarehouse.com is the best site i've found for racquet research.  They give you reviews from 4.0-6.0 players, which pros use what, etc. They even strip the paint on what racquets some of the players "market" and tell you what they ACTUALLY use under the paint, direct from their stringers.  Always demo racquets before you buy.  Most places even put the cost of your demos towards the new racquet you buy so essentially, the demos are free.  Otherwise demos cost ~$10.

When i popped a string on my ProKennex during a match my Jr. year and borrowed my teammate's Wilson ProStaff Original, I couldn't believe the difference.  I immediately went out and bought one for myself and have never looked back.  My earlier post on this thread has my current specs & creds if you're interested.

It's hard to believe that a racquet can improve your game that much, but it does, esp. if you find the one that fits your natural stroke.  My only regret was not realizing this sooner in my competitive career.

Control, Consistency, Power, Spin, you name it, I got better at it just from switching to a control racquet.  I'm not gonna get into the pros/cons on paying for lessons, training harder, etc. as that's a whole other debate and that's up to your committment level.  Not everyone can afford all that.  But since you enjoy tennis, have fun with it, and see yourself playing for the rest of your life, invest in a good racquet! I still whip out my trusty ProStaff Original from time to time 15 years later! P.S. use shock absorbers to avoid tennis elbow! I love the Gamma Shockbusters.

Sorry for the long post, prolly belongs in a tennis forum & not a boarding one, but i get passionate about tennis and I hope some of it helps those just getting started Smile
bpak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2011 at 12:45pm
Which brands do you guys think are pretty consistently good? Currently I use babolat, I used to use Price and Wilson when I was a starting player
winze View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2011 at 1:18am
Wilson still make nice rackets I think, and I still prefer them. Use Babolat strings though and liked their Team series racket quite a bit and will consider it when i upgrade again. Never a fan of Prince rackets, just didn't suit my play style and were traditionally priced higher.
rocs View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2011 at 4:30pm
I got a Head PT57A in a 16/18 pattern. Very soft racquet with high spin potential. If you guys are having trouble finding racquets, i say demo the Babolats. They are very solid and each has it's own characteristics. Donnay makes some very good racquets too and will probably be the closest to a "pro" model that you can buy retail.
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2011 at 1:22pm
I would say definitely look at Babolat racquets if you are going to get a racquet. I have one and it is just great.
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2011 at 1:42pm
i use wilson i find i get the best use out of them... federererererer is a god
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2011 at 4:59am
My county flight tournament is coming up this week and I am playing number 2 as a freshman. Hopefully I can do well.
winze View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2011 at 5:16am
Nadal playing for Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell title again :) hoping to kick off his Euro clay court season as normal with his 6th title heh
dy3versity View Drop Down
Local
Local
Fresh Pow!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2011 at 11:01pm
3x Pure Storm GT's

I haven't found any other racquet that I like playing with. LOL
thebigbell View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2011 at 11:09pm
I played tennis in college, but i went boarding for the first time this past winter and I gotta say I don't miss tennis much anymore
winze View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2011 at 12:46am
Originally posted by thebigbell

I played tennis in college, but i went boarding for the first time this past winter and I gotta say I don't miss tennis much anymore

I haven't played for ages as well, but really struggle to find time to do everything I want to, especially once snow season comes around heh
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2011 at 1:40am
You are right there just isn't much time to do stuff any more. Between school and working I barely even have any time on the weekends any more.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2011 at 6:58am
Tennis and boarding are completely different seasons, though, so I like being able to stay active year round. The only sport that suffers for the sake of another is hockey in the winter, when I miss a lot of games to go boarding.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 7:06am
im a freshman starting on varsity and i told my coach that im not going to play next year. he said why. i said that im going to play lacrosse. he said that if i play lacrosse hell break both my legs. haahahahha gotta love coaches

timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 8:31am
french open is getting closer. it's my favorite grand slam on the professional circuit. excited to see if djokovic can keep his winning ways up on clay.
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 1:37am
The French Open is coming up soon this month. Who do you want to win it? I always want Nadal to win.
winze View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 3:22am
I would like to see Nadal win and get back his mojo and take it to Novak for the rest of the year. Want to see a nice 3 way fight for the titles and slams for the rest of the year :P So Federer wake up!!!
NikolaSpee View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 4:30am
nothing can stop Nole this year.
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 5:13am
i played junior tournaments up until 18 in southern california. ranking was tough but i made some good friends when i played at the tennis academy.

I grew up using Wilson tennis racquets but lately I've been using an old Head Ti since my dad had a bunch left over.

I was never particularly into watching tennis but nothing beats matches between Agassi and Sampras.
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2011 at 1:16am
The French Open is starting this weekend and Djokavic is destroying everyone. I hope Nadal can find a way to beat him if the meat up.
winze View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2011 at 11:14pm
Novak is destroying Nadal, first time his been truly challenged on clay for years.... can he step up is the question and hold his title!
Exilent View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2011 at 4:09am
Tennis, really?
RedLego View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2011 at 11:45am

Originally posted by winze

Novak is destroying Nadal, first time his been truly challenged on clay for years.... can he step up is the question and hold his title!

Yes i'm glad to see them going at it. I think in order for Novak to really space himself from the rest, is to beat Nadal again at his best surface. Glad to see this rivalry going since Federer is out of the picture

winze View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2011 at 12:52am
Well the question is if Novak can win the French and stay unbeaten until Wimbledon, is that going to be too much pressure on him to win that too?? Or is he going to have way too much self belief and momentum to be beaten by anyone?
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2011 at 12:56am
i think novak will win the french-he's on fire for sure. that match he had with murray at rome was epic. plus novak has rapha's number right now.
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2011 at 3:31am
Looking forward to the French Open starting it should be a great couple of weeks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>