Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
azngolfur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cell Phone Carrier
    Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 12:59pm
Hi Guys,

Last week I was eating in a restaurant with a group of 5 others... and I got a call on my phone. Reception was terrible, couldn't hear the person on the other end, call ended up dropping a few seconds later. I tried calling back and all I got were voicemails, I looked at my reception and it showed 1 bar. 2 others in the group share the same service as I do, ATT, and they also had crappy reception! However, 2 people in the party had Verizon... they lent me their phone to use and voila... full bars... clear voice... no problem.. I was able to call the person back.

So it got me thinking, after 11 years with ATT, is it time to switch? I've noticed a lot of dropped calls lately via ATT, and my 3g internet seems to be slow (can't compare to other carriers so it might be just in my mind). Anyways, now that my contract is up I'm thinking about switching. Anyone have experience with more than one carrier and can offer an opinion?

It's a business line, so I use the phone a lot, including the internet.. so having 4g capability would be a bonus. Also, I can never get decent reception in Tahoe either... don't know if this is all mobile phones or just ATT.

Thanks for the help!
maskoficarus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 1:03pm
The best carrier would depend on the towers available in the location where you live.

Here in Western New York, Verizon has the best service by a long shot. However, I'd suggest you ask around locally to get an opinion better suited for you.
tomek77pl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

i have At&t and they do suck but i dont think verizon is any better its prob the same and it also depends on the phone i dont like at&t but with the iphone 4 which i have i think at&t is better then verizon
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

4g doesn't actually exist yet...they haven't agreed on a standard yet so everyone's using different protocols.
krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 1:07pm
at&t is the best around me, just depends on where you live, verizon and sprint both suck. alot of my friends have tmobile and have no problems with it.
psyccologicc View Drop Down
Local
Local
View of Lake Tahoe from Homewood

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 1:08pm
I was an AT&T customer for about 12 years, but just recently switched to Sprint... the service for both of them sucks in my area, but with Sprint I pay quite a bit less for my crappy service.
maskoficarus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by psyccologicc

I was an AT&T customer for about 12 years, but just recently switched to Sprint... the service for both of them sucks in my area, but with Sprint I pay quite a bit less for my crappy service.

In a lot of cases, 4g is really just WiMAX with a name people will feel more comfortable about.
tomek77pl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 1:18pm
i guess it just depends on the location cuz i have bars everywhere just not when i go boarding but thats 2 hrs away lol
Borsa View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 2:06pm
I had Cellular One before ATT bought them out.  Since then, I haven't had a problem with them.  They have some great phones and I can get signal mostly everywhere I go.  All cell phone companies has there pluses and minuses.  I hear good and bad things from all providers.  I think Sprint has the best deal for phones and plans anywhere at the moment.
winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 2:07pm
you know whats funny. l'm from canada but whnever l go to my friends place in the states, l get crystal clear reception with whoever l'm roaming with, but sucks balls for my friend. wierd but thought that was interesting
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by fishkur

4g doesn't actually exist yet...they haven't agreed on a standard yet so everyone's using different protocols.

Yea, we were actually talking about this in my digital comm class.  None of the 4G's being marketed by cell companies actually fit the requirements of 4G.  It's all just a marketing ploy to sell more phones/plans.

This article uses 4G to refer to IMT-Advanced (International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced), as defined by ITU-R. An IMT-Advanced cellular system must fulfil the following requirements:
  • Based on an all-IP packet switched network.
  • Peak data rates of up to approximately 100 Mbit/s for high mobility such as mobile access and up to approximately 1 Gbit/s for low mobility such as nomadic/local wireless access, according to the ITU requirements.
  • Dynamically share and utilize the network resources to support more simultaneous users per cell.
  • Scalable channel bandwidth, between 5 and 20 MHz, optionally up to 40 MHz.
  • Peak link spectral efficiency of 15 bit/s/Hz in the downlink, and 6.75 bit/s/Hz in the uplink (meaning that 1 Gbit/s in the downlink should be possible over less than 67 MHz bandwidth).
  • System spectral efficiency of up to 3 bit/s/Hz/cell in the downlink and 2.25 bit/s/Hz/cell for indoor usage.
  • Smooth handovers across heterogeneous networks.
  • Ability to offer high quality of service for next generation multimedia support.
But to answer your actual question, it really just depends on where you are going to be using your phone the most.  AT&T and Verizon are both better than the other in certain areas.  For instance, at school, I get better reception than a lot of my friend's with AT&T.  However, when we go snowboarding up at snowshoe, AT&T is literally the only provider that can get service anywhere near the mountain, with the exception of T-Mobile in a few specific areas.
adhdspazz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Tip slide= P.i.t.A

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 2:54pm
In all honesty it depends on where you live, and what areas you are in. I mean in some places in Cali, with AT&T I get great reception, but my Verizon friends get horrid reception. Also, I am not sure, but I think AT&T is just going through a lot of computer glitches, and the whole reliability of AT&T is just not all there at the moment.
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 3:20pm
I have had Verizon for yeeeears, only carrier I ever had. Only time I ever lost reception was one day in Oregon where I usually can get it, but nobody with any carrier did that day, and in Wisconsin there were a few spots where you could lose reception driving through valleys. Other than that, FL, NV, IN, where ever I've used it I had no problem, so I can see no reason I would ever want to change.
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 6:10pm
they all kind of suck.  I'm waiting for a nationwide wifi carrier and the switch to VOIP with unlimited data.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
tworunningcards View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 3:54am
I've got AT&T on my personal phone and Verizon on my work phone. AT&T is faster but with less coverage and Verizon is slow but everywhere.
TheLuckster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 4:09am
All about verizon. but at&t has 4g
Forgot10 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 4:17am
my verizon phone almost always has good reception and service
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 4:30am
in the DC metro area ATT and Verizon both have good service..
but Verizon is a bit more superior.. ATT has a few areas that calls drop.. Verizon doesnt

djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 4:32am
Ive had them all in the DC area, and I haven't noticed much difference between them.  I'm using Sprint now and I have no complaints.  

It's weird though because for instance in a bar, one carrier will get service while others dont, and vice versa.  But outside, they all work just fine.
my mom says im hardcore
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 4:46am
I used to travel ALL thru out DC, MD ,VA.
I have had Verizon for a long time.. no problems with any kind of connections..
But after I got the iphone with ATT I had many many call drops and times where I dont have reception. (still useable.. but not as good as Verizon's service)
NewCastle4 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 7:58am
Get verizon, haven't had one problem yet
casanovaa0 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 8:18am
My gf and I use to get into arguments cause i could never get in touch with her when she was with T-mobile. She switched to verizon last year and we haven't had any issues yet. i have verizon.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 8:18am
I have had AT&T all along, and plan to stick with em.
kirkalicious View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 8:19am
I have Verizon and my service is decent most places, can't complain too much.
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 8:22am
I personally have Verizon and in the Portland OR area, it's got better phone service than ATT.  The 3G coverage for ATT is better however. 
Since I hardly use my phone for, well, phone calls, I may be switching to ATT and getting their version of the iPhone once my plan is up for Verizon. 
After 11 years with ATT, do you think you'd be able to get as good of a cell phone (cost wise) plan with Verizon if you switched.  You're probably grandfathered into your pricing....
ma3lstrom13 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 8:37am
I personally have never had any problems from AT&T where my friends have. It was always worked great for me.  
azngolfur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 9:05am
I wish they would grandfather my plan in... but as soon as I asked for a data plan and messaging plan they said the old plans are not compatible... SOB's!

I'm still with the blackberry unlimited data plan... does anyone use the new ATT limited data plans? Do you ever find yourself going over the limit?
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 9:15am
The Sprint EPRP is really good.  If anyone wants to check it out, go to:

http://sprint.com/everythingplus

And log in with this information:

russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com

It was originally intended for Sprint employee friends & family only , but it's more or less opened up to the net-savvy public.  The information to get in comes from a Sprint VP who posted it specifically to promote the plan, so there's no funny business.

$59/mo gets you 500 anytime minutes, unlimited any mobile-to-mobile, text, and data.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 10:45am
I just want to know what's going to happen with TMobile and AT&T in a year span because they both suck at my house.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
casanovaa0 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 10:47am
i don;t think anything will change. there will be more advertisements about how they have more coverage now but the service will still suck
steezmastaflex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 10:51am
dude they are all in it for the money none of the carriers have as great of service as they make it sound. However, in mass verizon definitely has the best coverage (which still isnt that great). Everyone I have ever heard of who has AT&T has switched back to verizon...ask around thats gonna be the easiest way to find out who owns the cell towers in your area
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 11:07am
I have ATT through work here in Las Vegas so my wife was on my plan. Service was so horrible that she canceled mid contract. Got Verizon and she is MUCH happier (especially now that V has the iPhone). I'll drop calls on ATT in the most random places, but consistantly in those places...like on the freeway drving home past Sahara blvd I will always drop a call.

What's funny is that even though we have ATT for work here in Las Vegas, their service is even worse up in Reno that for that office we have to have them on Verizon!

Don't know why we can't just have Verizon down here too...
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
Evilives View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Nuclear

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 4:10pm
Like everyone has been saying, it really depends on where you live and how much you want to spend. If you want okay reception and nice 4G speeds for a great price Sprint is good, I have it and while I sometimes hate the the lack of internet availability, not paying an extra $20+ a month I think it is worth it. If you don't mind paying a little more I would definitely recommend Verizon, a lot of my friends have Verizon and the reception is really nice, plus they have the Droid and iPhone.
"Don't think, just do."
Commissar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 4:20pm
I have Sprint, but most places I go people with Verizon have a better signal. This is in the midwest, your mileage may vary!
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 6:27pm
I get better service with AT&T in the mountains of Tahoe than my home in Silicon Valley.  Retarded.
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
Hittnthebz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 7:00pm
I have US Cellular currently and even when I travel I have great signal....I know of one or two places I will lose signal but it is because of the mountains in my area and it is only a quarter mile area at most. They are a great company IMO and have no complaints. I do plan on switching to Verizon as soon as my plan expires since my fiancee gets a discount through her job but that is the only reason I have considered switching providers.
alphaod View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 7:07pm
I'm not a telecommunications expert, but from what I understand, the signal bars on a CDMA phone (ie: Verizon and Sprint) represent the usable bandwidth in the RF signal, so theorectically you can have no bars and still make calls, whereas the sound quality would be abysmal. On the other hand with a GSM phone (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) the bars represent signal reception or strength of the reception signal, so if you have no bars, you cannot make any calls.

So just because a Verizon phone has 5 bars when an AT&T phone has 2 bars doesn't necessarily means the reception on the Verizon phone is better, just means the network capacity and available bandwidth is greater. So really here you have to choose if you want network availably (CDMA) or quality communication (GSM).

Experts in the field, feel free to correct me.

Anyways, I've used both AT&T and Verizon; in some places I get better service with AT&T, in others I get better service with Verizon. Overall it balances out; plus I think AT&T's data feels faster than Verizon.
-= alphaod =-
Current setups~
US: 12 Burton Vapor 159, 12 Burton Fishcuit 150, 12 Burton Diode EST
China: 13 Burton Custom X 158, 14 Cloudsplitter 158.3, 14 Burton Genesis EST
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 7:35pm
That may be, but when I was at big bear at the base of the mountain, not at the resort but closer to the overflow lot, neither me nor my 2 friends with ATT were able to get data or make a call. My wife showed "3G" on her phone, had internet, and was able to make calls.
The ATT phones had no bars but did NOT say no service, while her phone had 4 bars.

AT my hill in Las Vegas, my ATT phone clearly said "No Service". My daughter's verizon phone shown one bar and appeared to be trying to make a call but it never rang on the other end.
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
carlosjj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Bam!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 8:31pm
I have T-Mobile but OMG I have such bad reception in some areas.

I want to switch but why is it that after years and years it seems like cell phone plans really haven't changed much. still mad expensive with so little minutes.

-CJ
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 1:39am
I love Verizon because I can call mostly everyone for free because most of the people I know have Verizon and all of my family members have it. I would say that you should switch.
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 1:52am

I have Sprint and am very pleased I pay on 67 per month for an unlimited everything plan....downloads could be faster but it beats being drained for every nickel of service I wanted with Verizon, my old carrier.

azngolfur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 8:13am
Seems the general consensus is ATT data is faster... Verizon reception (talking wise) is better?
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 9:08am
which one has the least dropped calls?
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Von44

which one has the least dropped calls?

I never really had any drop calls with TMobile and AT&T, but finding reception is a different issue.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 9:59am
in the bay area, sprint is probably the best.
I've got sprint and never had a drop call on my end. With roaming, I got service everywhere, even on the whole way up to tahoe.
AT&T sucks, it works most of the time but have more drop calls and reception is on the lower end.
Verzion is better than AT&T, but is not as good as Sprint.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 10:37am

Verizon works well around Tahoe, on the slopes and basically everywhere else other carriers drop their calls.

C02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 10:40am
verizon is the best but i hear sprint is getting alot better
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 10:47am
I haven't used Sprint since I was in high school, but I don't remember having any complaints with them but that was like over 10 years ago.  Since then I've been with TMobile, AT&T and MetroPCS.  I haven't tried Verizon yet but my bro does testing for all these mobile companies and said Verizon is the best.
MATTSTERBATOR View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2011 at 8:39am
I have Rogers in Canada. The service is pretty good and works on any GSM network in the world, but the cost is high.
M.Bilenki
PICKLES View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Nom, nom, nom.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2011 at 10:42pm
I'm sticking with AT&T for various reasons.  Being on a phone call while browsing the internet on my iPhone is something I refuse to sacrifice.  I also receive a great employee discount.  Reception in Tahoe hasn't been an issue yet.
Weather, comply!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>