Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: snowboarding in august..
    Posted: Apr/22/2011 at 11:34am
hey all,
does anyone know what resorts might be open in the beginning of august? i know windells and high cascade have camps in oregon, but are there any resorts where i can just ride the park, without the expensive coaching?

timberline, maybe?

thanks!

hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2011 at 11:37am
Originally posted by pibimbap

hey all,
does anyone know what resorts might be open in the beginning of august? i know windells and high cascade have camps in oregon, but are there any resorts where i can just ride the park, without the expensive coaching?

timberline, maybe?

thanks!

yes timberline is open to the public and you can ride there without having to pay for the camps.  they have a public park set up too. 

or you can go to the southern hemisphere
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
youngun92 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote youngun92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2011 at 2:28pm
timberline for sure. 
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote SunFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2011 at 3:46pm
If you are going to Timberline anyway, why not just go to High Cascade? You go on your own, you pay $45 for each liift ticket, food housing, rent a car to drive the hour from the airport and up to the hill each day, and you still have to ride the public areas. Camp includes all that (no rental car, they drive you everywhere) plus afternoon activities, all the free next year's demo gear you want, skatepark, a lot of new friends to ride with, plus the coaching and awesome private parks that are for campers only. 7 day camp would average $285 / day versus ?$ for less benefits if you go on your own to the same place.
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
gt4pwa View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gt4pwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2011 at 3:57pm
If you can get to NZ the boarding is awesome @ that time of year. My Wife and I were in Queenstown and it was amazing!
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2011 at 4:31pm
public park at hood is always good. normally a 3 -5 jumpline ranging from 20 to 60ish feet depending on the year.

rails are always good there too. lots of urbans and boxes.

lift tickets are 52 bucks a day, bring your dark lenses!
Camber Is The New Rocker.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2011 at 8:11pm
are there any resorts in Alaska open that long?
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2011 at 9:38pm
Could head over here to the alps....Wink
tomek77pl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote tomek77pl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2011 at 9:52pm
i wish mine would but i like in a crappy state lol
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2011 at 5:23pm
southern hemisphere is the best in august  i did 9 days in chile last year for around 1800$

bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bmorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2011 at 9:15am
The High Cascade Camp sounds like a good deal. It's preety expensive for 7 days, but sounds like you get alot for your money. If I didn't have kids and wasn't married, I'd definitely save up and head to High Cascade.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2011 at 12:22pm
mt. hood should be open.
i know mammoth is open til 7/4
ma3lstrom13 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ma3lstrom13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2011 at 2:01pm
wow, never realized mammoth was open that late. will have to look into that this season.
TGozdor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote TGozdor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2011 at 2:57pm
B.C has some resorts
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2011 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by bmorse

The High Cascade Camp sounds like a good deal. It's preety expensive for 7 days, but sounds like you get alot for your money. If I didn't have kids and wasn't married, I'd definitely save up and head to High Cascade.

Married with kids and planning on going to either High Cascades or Windell's next summer.  In the process of convincing 3 or 4 friends to join me.  My wife understands my obsession and has given me the green light. 
carlosjj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Bam!

Quote carlosjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2011 at 8:35pm
Anyone ever done one of these Camps?

I would love to try one over the summer for an intro to the Park and to learn or have someone with me teaching me about the jumps, boxes and rails.

I was checking these parks and they look awesome.

Chile or Argentina were some of the things I was looking into but might just pay for a camp to learn some tricks and the Park mmmm

-CJJ
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2011 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by ctoma

Originally posted by bmorse

Married with kids and planning on going to either High Cascades or Windell's next summer.  In the process of convincing 3 or 4 friends to join me.  My wife understands my obsession and has given me the green light. 

HAHA your wifey rocks!
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Wilz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2011 at 10:17pm
australia or NZ.. actually don't bother with aus.. go NZ.. haha
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote SunFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2011 at 11:22pm
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2011 at 12:37am
I may have to look into this....I really want to progress alot this coming year.
turbo95sir View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Grand Targhee tree run

Quote turbo95sir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2011 at 12:39am
gotta agree with all the posts about NZ. was there early in their winter last year and had a great effin time. the resorts around christchurch and queenstown are not to be missed. highly suggest you hit the club fields out there for a real local experience. even did my first heliboarding trip out there...won't ever forget that.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2011 at 3:30am
Originally posted by derbytownjoe

HAHA your wifey rocks!

She definitely does.  On top of understanding my obsession she even made the switch from skier to snowboarder late this past season.
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2011 at 5:05am
Timberline is the resort where High Cascades and Windells goes... There is a public section as well during the summer.  If you're interested in parks, go for it.
If you have the funds, however, I would chase the endless "winter" and head to the southern hemisphere for some actual snow.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2011 at 5:33am
Originally posted by EpicFAIL

Timberline is the resort where High Cascades and Windells goes... There is a public section as well during the summer.  If you're interested in parks, go for it.
If you have the funds, however, I would chase the endless "winter" and head to the southern hemisphere for some actual snow.

I agree.  High Cascades isn't cheap unless you live near there.  I'd rather pay the same money to go to the southern hemisphere.  

I just booked a ticket to Argentina yesterday for $1000 Aug 13 - 23.  I think the overall trip will cost around $2500.  

Considering high cascades is $2000 not including airfare, I'd rather be in Ushuaia... 
turbo95sir View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Grand Targhee tree run

Quote turbo95sir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2011 at 7:31am
Originally posted by mech9t5

I agree.  High Cascades isn't cheap unless you live near there.  I'd rather pay the same money to go to the southern hemisphere.  

I just booked a ticket to Argentina yesterday for $1000 Aug 13 - 23.  I think the overall trip will cost around $2500.  

Considering high cascades is $2000 not including airfare, I'd rather be in Ushuaia... 

i was just thinking the same thing. if you live on the west coast, flying to NZ is not really that expensive. you can get tickets for about $1000 and cost of living there is cheaper. i guess i didn't realize how much those camps were, but it's pretty outrageous considering you can be shredding NZ or SA for about the same price. i guess if you wanted to just do park all day and night, one of those camps is the way to go
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2011 at 7:49am
I try to not even think about snowboarding during the off-months. I have plenty of other sports to play, and it just makes me sad when I can't ride in the summer, so I concentrate on hockey & mountain biking.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2011 at 10:22am
Originally posted by turbo95sir

i was just thinking the same thing. if you live on the west coast, flying to NZ is not really that expensive. you can get tickets for about $1000 and cost of living there is cheaper. i guess i didn't realize how much those camps were, but it's pretty outrageous considering you can be shredding NZ or SA for about the same price. i guess if you wanted to just do park all day and night, one of those camps is the way to go

I did Chile last year for 9 days and (5 days shredding) for under $2k

The reason why these camps cost so much is because they have "pro" coaches who help you learn tricks.  They have that stuff down south too though.

There is a thread on the forum where a guy quoted $2700 including flights to Baraloche (Argentina), coaching, lift passes, breakfast/dinner, accommodations for 1 week.  Not including flights is about $1000 a week.  

Definitely a better deal... and there is actual snow not just the glacier.
CharlieZima View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CharlieZima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2011 at 12:51pm
9 days in chile for $1800? thats quite a deal!
CharlieZima View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CharlieZima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2011 at 12:57pm
NZ and Chile both sounds interesting!!!
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2011 at 4:30am
Originally posted by CharlieZima

I stayed at hostels though.  $15 to $25 a night. 
Everything was relatively cheap.

The most expensive thing was the flight.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2011 at 4:34am

Hostels?  Did you wake up one morning in a bathtub of ice missing a kidney?
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2011 at 5:01am

Hostels?  Did you wake up one morning in a bathtub of ice missing a kidney?

I think the movie hostel ruined it for most people!  lol

hostels are the best places to stay.  I actually prefer them over hotels... unless it is a really crappy one.  So much more fun to be able to meet people.

I stayed at one in Las Trancas in Chile and met some people who we rode with and ended up travelling with for a couple days.  It was great cause they spoke spanish and we didnt.

Lachsta View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Lachsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2011 at 7:59pm
In australia august is the best time for snow. I'm going down for the 2nd and 3rd week of august this year to Falls Creek, Victoria.
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 2:30pm
mech9t5- where you headed in argentina? I did bariloche 2 summers ago, besides boarding in summer, can't beat the meat. You stopping at Buenos Aires right? Definitely a great summer boarding trip! The meat is honestly the best, definitely not hype. I actually squeezed Chile in on that trip as well, see that you did that. Its a better experience, in terms of snow and food :)
Its not fun unless its sketchy
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by kirium81

mech9t5- where you headed in argentina? I did bariloche 2 summers ago, besides boarding in summer, can't beat the meat. You stopping at Buenos Aires right? Definitely a great summer boarding trip! The meat is honestly the best, definitely not hype. I actually squeezed Chile in on that trip as well, see that you did that. Its a better experience, in terms of snow and food :)

Why can't you beat your meat in Argentina?  Is that some kind of religious thing?

-b
get bent
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2011 at 11:50am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

Why can't you beat your meat in Argentina?  Is that some kind of religious thing?

-b

I will be going to Ushuaia and BA.  And yes, I will be stuffing my face with meat. 

explanation:  BBQ in Argentina is very famous.  Their steaks are considered the best in the world.
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2011 at 8:29am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

-b

LOL, maybe they don't want their men to go blind or have hairy palms?

I will be going to Ushuaia and BA.  And yes, I will be stuffing my face with meat. 

Nice, you'll have a blast. Get ready to eat dinner at 12a and party until 6a, and repeat!
Its not fun unless its sketchy
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2011 at 9:19am
Lol.
Thanks for all the suggestions lol.

My friend and I decided to pick up some powderpak and ride it with a self-made box :P Cheapest option. Though obviously not as awesome as Argentina...

mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2011 at 11:26am

Nice, you'll have a blast. Get ready to eat dinner at 12a and party until 6a, and repeat!

Ya.  I heard they eat late.  I don't know if I can handle waiting to eat food so late...
 Post Reply Post Reply