Where do all the unsold boards go-

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
markyjas View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote markyjas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where do all the unsold boards go-
    Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 5:12am
This question may have been answered before, but after a quick search I couldn't find it.  What happens to all the old model snowboards (that haven't been bought) after the new models come out.  I can only ever seem to find 2 yr old boards at the oldest anywhere.  Does anyone sell these boards?  I can imagine you could get a pretty good deal.  I guess this goes for anything: bindings, boots, etc.
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 5:25am
I think after a certain period of time they are returned to the manufacturer, but I don't know for sure.  It's a good question though, as even on ebay it's hard to find a lot of boards older than a few years that aren't super beat up.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
  Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 6:06am
Maybe its sold to resorts for rental boards and shit? 
The difference in tech within 2+ years would be pretty big thou wouldn't it? 
If only Queensland had snow...
c0r3yp View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
me and my cousin.. yeah im wearin jeans.. scrub day lol

Quote c0r3yp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 6:12am
well i would think that the rental boards is a pretty good idea because then they arent just tossin them out 
jeremy86 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jeremy86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 6:13am
koji3 you are right about the tech part , but for me I would take a board that is 50%+ off anytime over new tech, so I can go ride more using the money that I saved
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 6:32am
Originally posted by koji3

Maybe its sold to resorts for rental boards and shit? 
The difference in tech within 2+ years would be pretty big thou wouldn't it? 

Yea there could be a difference but rarely is there THAT big of a difference between 2 years unless it's a total redesign.  Most of the time the tech change is a few small things that most riders wouldn't even notice anyways.  Give me a 3 year old board at 50-60% off over a few new carbon fiber rods placed inside the board LOL
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 7:18am
wouldn't they jsut take off the top sheet then reapply a new layer of base, then remold it to a new design? l thought more or less it would be easy to adjust
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 7:45am
It would be great if they are returned to the manufacturer, then the green-thinker in me hopes they would melt down the material and recycle it into new product, but I don't know if that actually happens or even could happen.  The material might be compromised after being recycled.
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 7:51am
they sit in the warehouse......
MOAR powderz plz!
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 7:51am
Who's warehouse?
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 7:56am
The warehouses of stores who don't discount them enough to get them off their shelves. Most places are smart enough to get them out of their inventory by having decent sales.
krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote krisshono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 7:57am
Maybe they donate them to 3rd world countries
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 7:58am
l'm sure they can recycle it because lve seen some ride board that are made with recycle/post consumed goods. but depends if they are willing to braek the board down to the specific components or simply buy it
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mrrorydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 8:04am
They get put out to pasture. The best left over boards are used as stud boards for breeding next years models. Duh! I thought everybody knew this stuff.
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bmorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 2:36pm
Mrrorydigital, that was funny as hell. To the op, this is a good question. Now that I think about it, I too can't find any new /unused boards on eBay that are more than a few years old. We can only hope that we will get in on some of those deals if the older boards do make it back, or stay on the market.
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 3:29pm
I thought they kept them up for sale, but didn't market them with a year. They can keep the price a little higher and just market it as is instead of having to mark it way down (though admittedly it should be marked down quite a bit).
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 3:41pm
it all goes to the-house/trusnow/proboardshop/etc who sell it at as current season model by not showing the year model on their products

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 3:44pm
^ I think you nailed it, nicely played.
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Spenser W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by rye

l'm sure they can recycle it because lve seen some ride board that are made with recycle/post consumed goods. but depends if they are willing to braek the board down to the specific components or simply buy it

Your logic is flawed on this assumption-just because you've seen boards that are made with recycled materials does not mean that you can take an unsold snowboard and recycle those materials to make another snowboard. 

I'm assuming that they use other kinds of recycled materials that they then make a snowboard out of.  For example, on the old Burton EcoNico the edges and base were manufactured out of recycled materials, and they used natural materials such as "green wax" to avoid using chemicals that harm the environment.
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
Flavboarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Capita indoor survival and LTD Union Force canada colors

Quote Flavboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 4:38pm
haha, that might be true.. i could definetly see that
Flavboarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Capita indoor survival and LTD Union Force canada colors

Quote Flavboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 4:39pm
my humdingaling
andrethegiant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote andrethegiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 5:04pm
they all go to my house so i can hang them on my wall and use them for other shenanigans
markyjas View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote markyjas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 5:38pm
My original thought was the isle of misfit toys, but seriously does anyone who works for a boardshop or somewhere else in the industry have any input?  If they are just sitting in warehouses, that's excess inventory that isn't making any money, so you would think they'd get marked down significantly until they are sold.  And this may be the case, however I just can't imagine that the big guys like Burton can possibly get rid of their whole stock of boards within the 2 seasons they are typically marketed.
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 5:43pm
one of the local sports stores here also has a discount store, and while they usually have pretty good deals(though they're seasonal),  the boards ive seen there are at least 5+yrs and still with a pretty penny price tagon em....

a way old vapor for €500+
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by rye

You can't recycle a snowboard at all.  It's pretty much fused permanently when you make it.  You could down-cycle the board into something way less useful, but I've never seen a good use for one.  Most "re-cycled" products are down-cycled.  Once you re-cycle something it's never as good as the original raw material and almost always mixed with a certain amount of raw material.

You'd probably be better off making a bench or a fence with old boards. 
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 6:51pm
case and point

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 7:21pm
wont let me upload from my lappy.....soooo..

i prefer using 4 insead of 2....

but yeah, like said above, you can't recycle a board. i guess you could pull the edges out and sell for scrap metal, but that would be about it.
EdroZ View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote EdroZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 9:34pm
I know here in SoCal they have SnowJam. Sell all the previous few years models. Pretty decent prices, too.
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2011 at 4:05pm
even at snowjam they dont discount as much as they used too. 
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2011 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by EdroZ

I know here in SoCal they have SnowJam. Sell all the previous few years models. Pretty decent prices, too.

they have pretty good prices for beginner gear.. i havent seen awesome prices on premium gear though.. only 20-30% off
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bmorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 2:07pm
I was on line today on another site and saw some 2009 DC boards still listed at a higher price than what some of the 2010 models are being sold for on other sites.  If they sell those 2 year old decks at closeout prices, they will be gone.  Keep them at a price close to the 2010 model, and somebody would be crazy to buy a 2009 when you can get a newer model for a few (literally a few) dollars morre.  I don't understand.  I guess that's why I'm not in retail.
Forgot10 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Forgot10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 2:50pm
Pretty interesting question. Ive wondered about it myself and would love to know the answer
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 3:16pm
4 points 

collectors item - Green Union forces is a good example of that
people just like the recent years colorway/graphics
i love my graphics of the 2008 indoor survival>> 2010 and 2011
since i still ride camber i have no need to move onto FK version of the indoor

newer models aren't always necessarily better
company may actually ditch better quality material for a cheaper alternative follow year
cant think of any examples at the moment but its bound to happen
anecdotally i think this happens more in clothing rather than hardwear 

some people might like what the changes in tech bring
i know people who prefer the Salomon f20 of couple of years ago because the new one is "softer" 

lastly, compare prices of the same goods between different sites is comparing their pricing policy/stock situation/etc. Got nothing to do with the actual product. 

if all these fail...the shop just has no idea on what the current value of the product is worth. It happens

steezmastaflex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote steezmastaflex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 3:20pm
they go on sale for wicked cheap because the stores are looking to get rid of the inventory...i've seen 2 yr old boards in stores many times...many stores hold onto them and then just sell them the following year
vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vandi518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 4:04pm
I know that both Rome and Burton have huge mid summer clearance sales that unload a shit ton of their previous seasons inventory at discounts of 60% or more.  I bought my '08 T6 and a pair of '09 C60's (both new) at the B sale a few years ago for just over $500.  Rome had a bunch of boards, binders and soft goods at their sale last year at similar discounts.  Jones just had some mountain twins on The Clymb a little over a month ago at 50% off so I'm sure other manufacturers do the same.  

Two weeks ago I bought my 9yr old a 2010 custom 140 and an '09 pair of lexa bindings for under $250 from a local resort that had them sitting around and wanted them gone, so you can definitely find good deals and bargin with shops on leftovers after the season is over.
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ddomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 9:28pm
warehouse sales!  
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Quote Marumm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 10:42pm
If it's an old Burton, it will sit in the back of the warehouse forever.  They enforce their 40% max discount regardless of how old the board is. 

For example, here's a board from 1998 that TruSnow is still trying to sell:

Sale: $269.95
      40% OFF $450

Clinton was still president.  Hell, it's probably older than many of the posters here.
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 2:25am
Originally posted by Marumm

If it's an old Burton, it will sit in the back of the warehouse forever.  They enforce their 40% max discount regardless of how old the board is. 

40% OFF $450

Clinton was still president.  Hell, it's probably older than many of the posters here.

I believe the 40% off rule "only" lasts 3 years after the production year.
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 3:04am
I bought a 2006 LTD Moxie snowboard that I retired long ago that you can still buy new on this site.
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 3:07am
After two years they bring them out behind the woodshed and shoot them.  It's very sad.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 1:34pm

40% OFF $450

Almost as old as the internet itself.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 1:38pm
they sit in the store until they sell.  there is no secret or trick about it.  simple as that.
idshredhead View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Quote idshredhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 6:47pm

40% OFF $450

lol. ya this is obviously burtons fault. what about all the 08 unincs that are only 30% off?
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Spenser W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by idshredhead

40% OFF $450

lol. ya this is obviously burtons fault. what about all the 08 unincs that are only 30% off?

at least 08 unincs are valuable because they are totally awesome boards to ride!
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2011 at 1:44pm
2-3 years ago it seemed like it was a whole lot easier to get the previous seasons boards at 40-50 % off .What happened?
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2011 at 1:48pm
Do you mean only here at TruSnow or everywhere?
cruiserbear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote cruiserbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2011 at 1:53pm
I like the bench made our of boards. It looks a lot more comfortable than similar benches I 'd seen before made out of old skis....
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2011 at 3:18pm
Sierra + other sites as well Robnezz
frosty28 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote frosty28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 12:10am
I know from ski shops in Europe (France, Austria..), that they sell the old boards to East Europe (Bulgaria, Czech Republic..)
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bmorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2011 at 8:25pm
I just saw a super steez'y bench seat at a local Tahoe shop that used two snowboards to make a bench.  It was pretty sick.  Not sure if the decks were new or old, but it would be cool if all shops did that.  It would be even better if after 2 seasons of a board just sittig in the shop, if they made some sort of bench seat, or some good ol wall art.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>