0 Staff | 47 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 407,853 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > Gear Talk : Ask other riders

Quick Login: Forgot password?

The Women's Snowboard Buying Guide (supplement)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
acasi18 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote acasi18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Women's Snowboard Buying Guide (supplement)
    Posted: Nov/15/2013 at 5:54pm
thanks for posting! I'm just starting out and this was very helpful :)
zhaodandan View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote zhaodandan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2013 at 1:35am
Many famous and successful Americans had to fail over and over again to achieve what they hoped to in life. Abraham Lincoln failed at war, as a businessman, as a lawyer and even at politics at first. He pushed on through and became president of the United States. Thomas Edison’s teachers called him “stupid” and he was fired multiple times before “failing” 1000 times attempting to invent the lightbulb. Michael Jordan was once cut from his high school basketball team.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Diablo 3 gold | WOW Gold | Runescape Gold
mandapanda View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mandapanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2013 at 5:33am
Needddddd womens decks wtf were smaller n not as strong, even bindings r cut lower for women. I hate when women ride mens gear, stay out of their ish u will ride better!
Grocho View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Grocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 1:55pm
Is this the best thing ever?! YES. I've been riding for about 7 years and wish I could have seen this about 6 years ago! I went from a Forum Aura to a GNU Bstreet because at the time I thought parks were wonderful and I needed a board for that. Maybe not the best choice for the big picture... Oh well

Anyways I'm from the Midwest and unfortunately, it seems we get more ice than snow on most days. While I know dealing with this just takes practice and bruises, is there something you suggest that better copes with the icier parts of the hill?
inutil View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote inutil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 1:43pm
i assume you mean the bitchboards one. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your opinion on the ethos behind it) theyre defunct.
Saimuidan View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Saimuidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 1:05pm
OMG, That is an awesome board in the picture. It gives it personality to the board and the rider. I love it. Is there a maker to it?
KimmyDee View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote KimmyDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2012 at 10:37am
Thanks for taking the time to do this. I'll feel much more knowledgable when I'm ready to by my first board!
azngolfur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote azngolfur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 9:38am
Wow can't believe I just found this thread... I briefly read through it and the information is amazing. Thanks for the hard work! Will definitely come back and re-read everything when I have more time. This is great, especially since I'm trying to buy a board for a girl and have no clue what to get.
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 6:16pm
just want to say i really appreciate you putting together this thread. i helped my friend buy a board a few weeks ago. We've taken it out on two trips and she loves it. Got the rossi temptation because it was one of the lower-priced boards that's directional. I figured directional is important because I'm trying to get her to use both edges and discouraging her from leafing
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by maviles

I just came across this post and found it very helpful. Thank you.

I didn't know this thread existed!  Just as good as Ippy's original thread.  Big smile
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
maviles View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote maviles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 7:46pm
I just came across this post and found it very helpful. Thank you.
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 8:23am
Originally posted by TheHeatherMarie

Are there any women out there that can give a specific suggestion for a board for a beginner?  My husband is a snowboarding fanatic and I keep telling myself that my first time on a board (which ended in a concussion) shouldn't be my last.  I like your guide but I'd like someone to tell me--hey get *this* board. 
Thanks

post this question as a new topic and we'll help you from there.  height, weight, boot size, other preference, etc.
Did you google it?
TheHeatherMarie View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote TheHeatherMarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 8:18am
Are there any women out there that can give a specific suggestion for a board for a beginner?  My husband is a snowboarding fanatic and I keep telling myself that my first time on a board (which ended in a concussion) shouldn't be my last.  I like your guide but I'd like someone to tell me--hey get *this* board. 
Thanks
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2011 at 8:51am
Holy cow what a thread!   

Not buying gear this season (first season - yay!), but this is going to come in super handy as I spend the next year trying to figure out what I want!
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 4:30pm
as with the other one i figured if youre after an alpine board then you likely know way more than this guides going to help you with :) 

If youre all about racing and dont want an alpine board, then likely youre going to want a nice directional stiff deck with a nice quick base. Of course im basing that on no knowledge of racing at all, and just extrapolating from my own experience of shooting down a hill as fast as i can go :p

The fortress looks like its built for the kind of thing of course, but it does come with a pretty hefty price tag :)
m00m
cruiserbear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote cruiserbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2011 at 12:43pm
excellent article. No mention of women's boards suitable for (club) racing??
ArborPow View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote ArborPow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2011 at 12:36pm
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 7:31pm
thank you very much for this guide. over the past few weeks ive been searching around for some deals on women's gear for a friend. i ended up going with the rossi temptation and rossi bindings. got a pretty good deal too, i think board and bindings together were like 230 or something like that
AmyLynne View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AmyLynne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2011 at 2:51pm
Thanks for all the info.  I've only been boarding a couple of years and my brother's given me some advice, but this breaks everything down nicely.  Smile
lettuce View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
lol

Quote lettuce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2011 at 12:59am
Thanks heaps, this really helped me pick a board for my girlfriend!
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2011 at 6:33pm
cant really help you on bindings, but have a look at section 2 (types of deck) for some ideas. I really like the LOOK (what else can i say?) of the lofi and lofi rocker. I also think the fling sounds like a nice mellow fun board, and zoe <3 the smf. Finally theres always the vspot, (but id definitely run the graphics/name past her first - it seems to er, divide opinion a bit. :)

Oh, and just checked out shay and her top pick for a nice soft easy going ride (i mean er, park) was the endevour boyfriend. Her binding pick was the k2 auto agogo. 

Of course these are just ideas for further research on YOUR part (or better yet, your gf's part :)). 

m00m
gamelessx25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote gamelessx25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 12:04pm
Hey all, I'd welcome any suggestions for a board/binding combo for my gf. She's totaly new to the sport and would like to take it up this winter with me.

She's about 110 pounds, 5foot 3ish.

Thx
bagelzzz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bagelzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 3:50pm
Yes. The whole point of that was to let newby's who don't have a lot of money should try women's boards. They're cheaper (especially used ones) and easier to learn on.
I found my true love - a 158 custom flying v with squeezebox and cartels.
That's for good condition days.
For bad conditions I have my burton troop 146 and escapade bindings.
Save money on a nug and get some elevators and a tiny board. I've been riding 146 boards for ten years (as my crappy conditions board)
I'm 6"5'
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2011 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by bagelzzz

Thanks B
I have bought about $2200 worth of gear - hence my hi points and they ban me for leaving reviews on female boards I bought from them. They should've banned me from buying female boards and bindings :).

I finally found my true love - the custom flying v with squeezebox - a late release with next years technology. I feel like I'm cheating - that's how sweet this board is. Paired up with cartels. Driver x boots and all new clothing - it's 85 degrees out and I can't wait for it to snow!!!

haha, imagine that!  after all the womens boards, you finally found a mens board and bindings that you like more.  
bagelzzz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bagelzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 3:31pm
Just double checked - it's closer to $3500. What a way to treat such a repeat customer - eh??
bagelzzz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bagelzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 3:26pm
Thanks B
I have bought about $2200 worth of gear - hence my hi points and they ban me for leaving reviews on female boards I bought from them. They should've banned me from buying female boards and bindings :).

I finally found my true love - the custom flying v with squeezebox - a late release with next years technology. I feel like I'm cheating - that's how sweet this board is. Paired up with cartels. Driver x boots and all new clothing - it's 85 degrees out and I can't wait for it to snow!!!
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2011 at 7:13am
^^^^ ahhh, Bagelzzz, welcome back bud

-b
get bent
bagelzzz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bagelzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2011 at 6:08am
I have ridden close to a hundred boards. 20% being women's. I have a size 10 foot so the width of the board is not effecting the boards I have ridden - if the had, I used elevators. With that being said, women's boards are narrower and have more flex. The narrowness makes it easier to control the board. More flex makes tricks easier to pull off.
With all that being said, I left reviews of female boards. This upset people and they tarted calling me homosexual and mentally challenged Plus all my reviews were spammed and now I can't earn points. I tried explaining the simple physics of the board being narrower makes it perfect for a beginner. But I was bashed and labeled a homosexual
ktown View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ktown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2011 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by EpicFAIL

Originally posted by dougfagel

Ippo, I will make this a Sticky so that you don't have to Spam Bump this great thread that you have created.

Wink
Doug, where do Sticky's get located?  I would like to be able to find this thread later.
Thanks

its called book marking. all browser has it. use it
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2011 at 5:53pm
you can find it exactly right here since a sticky pretty much means its stuck in one place :)

m00m
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2011 at 5:54am

Ippo, I will make this a Sticky so that you don't have to Spam Bump this great thread that you have created.

Wink
Doug, where do Sticky's get located?  I would like to be able to find this thread later.
Thanks
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2011 at 6:25am
This is AMAZING!!!! Clap
Thank you for putting so much time and effort into writing this.  Luckily with snowboarding, I've been using women's specific gear since the inception.  I had to find a boot that was shorter (because women's calves start out lower than mens), a women's board (I did enjoy the graphics as well as the narrower waist Wink), and women's specific clothing. 
The only issue that I've had with any of the above has been women's specific snowboarding/winter clothing is that it's made more fashionable (from what I've tried) than practical.  Although I like the look of low rise pants and short jackets, I loathe snow in between those areas.  I still haven't found a combo that I enjoy, that keeps me warm without sweating... that is comfortable without dragging the pants on the ground... being attractive and practical... I know, so much to ask.

I would also like to put it this way... For all those women out there that buy women's clothing for day to day life because it just looks better (better cut and fit), this is the same thing.

Thanks again for the post IP.  I will definitely come back to this thread whenever I decide to buy gear!!!StarStarStarStarStar
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2011 at 5:40am
yeah its a great thread ippollite. based on your descriptioni or what not, l picked up the flow jewel. never got to test it out yet but l hope l like it :P
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2011 at 5:37am
thank you, i genuinely appreciate feedback on this thread. I hope the info helps, and remember this just covers the issues pertaining to womens boards. If you want to know a bit more about the more general tech inside a snowboard then check out the other sticky. :)

http://www.trusnow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40125

(its slightly longer :})
m00m
laurenkate View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote laurenkate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2011 at 3:26am
wow can't get over how thorough this is! I'm only just starting to look at a board and this has been very helpful! big thankyou
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2011 at 4:40am

Wink
Should sticky his other guide then. 
If only Queensland had snow...
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2011 at 3:56am
this is great. and turns out i bought the right board for what i want to do even without reading this :)
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ddomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2011 at 7:18pm
Such a great thread.  Finally, a guide for women!  

I recommend the Gnu B Pro as an amazing board!!!  It's consistently the Good Wood Winner for women's boards and is filled with all the Mervyn tech.
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 5:32pm
cheers dude, it was getting embarrassing. :)
m00m
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Instructing How to Douglas!!

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 5:00am

Wink
Sh4d0w View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Sh4d0w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 2:42am
Shameless bump here - Great summary. My brother and his girlfriend are learning how to board this coming season and want to buy. This came in very useful tonight trying to explain to them why my brother with size 13 feet and his girlfriend shouldn't use the same board.
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 2:24am
Great summize Ipp.....if this doesn't help what does!

Got my daughter an Artec but wish I'd have gotten her a V-Spot......
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 12:59am
and this'll be bump 3/x :)
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 6:47pm
if you remove the "don't" from that sentence, i hear that almost every day :)

Thanks though for the kind words :) And this is a secret bump because there's no way in hell im letting this drop off the first page. :p
m00m
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 8:25pm
Speaking of walls of text...LOL

Just throw a "Free Slushies on Tuesday" mid-sentence and see what happens. 
Oh, and whatever you do, don't stop writing. Each piece is quite entertaining. 
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 7:53pm
hehe, alas there is no maximum.I could go on for months. I actually put this guide into MSword and realised it was just shy of 10,000 words :)
And as for technique, well I throw out needless paragraphing all the time. In truth i'm a firm believer that a paragraph needs at least three solid points contained by one big point and maybe some form of run on sentence just to throw spanners in the works for the reader, but you try telling the kids that :) WALLOFTEXT!!CritsforOMGwtf!!! So i make some concessions to sanity. But only a few. If i had my way this thing would look like the unnamable by Beckett :p I'll also add a few headings just because i know they're a gigantic tangent (the subheading on flex and comparatively speaking pop to mind), but i cant find a less subtle way of crowbarring them in... whilst at the same time i dont want to leave them out because its nevertheless needs to be mentioned. In a sense then, if i could, i'd muck around with paragraphing because it really lets you know which people are too lazy to follow a sentence or simple thought... but then again if i was a true adherent to this type of grammar subversion id probably do away with all punctuation as well leaving the reader to work out the syntax luckily i did pass english at the second stepactuallynowirealiseitspacingisabitofaconcessiontoyourreaderaswell. :)

Just mucking about :p i know my writing is the biggest barrier to me communicating an idea. So i make some break ups in the text as a means of saying "are you still with me?" rather than the more conventional "is this structurally sound?" :)
m00m
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 7:24pm
The Brits have it all wrong, triple is certainly the better alternative. Wink

Failed English and still writing the longest posts on the forum!? Are we your surrogate professors now? I gotta ask, do you max out on characters or just feel the need to split it up (aside from when necessary)?
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 7:17pm
thanks dude, ive been editing it on the fly today and took out a stack of tangents (though left some other ones in because a board guide without at least 40 superfluous tangents is no board guide i want to put my name to!). I assume you want me to write triple then? :) I'd like to argue, but i failed english at high school, so i'll take your word for it and not run to my default BRITISH ENGLISH!!! excuse that i give to my korean co-teachers every time they ask me a question :)
m00m
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 6:57pm
This is pretty much amazing, it took a couple passes to get thought it but I respect your willingness to be thorough and having the tenacity to take it on. 

Wheres the five star button!?

Oh, small typo in the beginning:
And it is this: 
if my recommended size is 146-156, why shouldn’t I just get on a man’s board and double or even treble my options out there? 

Thank you!
Forgot10 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Forgot10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2011 at 7:40pm
Awesome guide. Im really trying to get my sister into snowboarding and if i can get her to try it out and she likes it then im coming back here to help her buy a board!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>