Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
teggeh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews marked as spam..-
    Posted: Apr/30/2011 at 3:07pm
Hey, 2 of my reviews of my GFs gear have been marked as spam. They're legit reviews of products I've bought from here. I'm unsure how they're marked as spam.

Any chance they can be marked as not spam?
inutil View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2011 at 4:19pm
Pity, they do seem legit. Unfortunately no one to my mind has ever had their flags removed :) You'll just have to carry on somehow.
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2011 at 4:33pm
If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it is because you put in that they were your girlfriend's and not yours.  I think they stated somewhere that reviews are supposed to be of items that you yourself physically own and use, not someone else.  Not saying this should always be the case, but that'd be my guess as to why they were marked as spam.
teggeh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2011 at 6:03pm
Lame :S I bought the gear with my account, it would look weird if most of my purchases are mens gear then I start reviewing womens. That would look more spammy than saying that they are my GFs and these are her opinions :S
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2011 at 9:17pm
yea if I would guess, its because your Gf should be the one writing the review and not you... I know you bought the stuff, but its her gear, and a review from a guys POV isnt quite the same (nor really wanted ) as one from the girl that actually is using or has used the gear.

reviews for the GF, but still from your account, not so much. If you want her to review them, then please, by all means do, but please tell her to come over here and make the review herself.
teggeh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2011 at 9:50pm
It isn't from my POV though. She told me, I typed.

She's a very busy girl doesn't have time to write reviews herself. Me, I have a lot of spare time to write useless shit.

Figured I'd contribute, but instead get told it's spam. Guess I'll be better off lying and pretending I'm her instead of being up front about it from now on.
inutil View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2011 at 10:33pm
dude, theres no point being passive aggressive about it. The system is as the system is. People flag people if they put up a review about a significant others reaction. The reason for this is that MANY MANY reviews in the past have been utter nonsense to score points and often incorporated fake crap about "my friend..." "my girldfriend... "someone i just met..." "the bloke down the pub..." etc etc. It's not against the law or anything to post a review on behalf of someone else, but its often dependant upon the person flagging it whether it trips the flag, so yeah, lie about it if you have to, but do keep the reviews informative. That's all anyone really asks :)

Jack Off View Drop Down
Local
Local
into the box

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2011 at 11:14pm
Don't lie, you don't have a girlfriend.

Prove me wrong with a picture.
if i jumped onto your back, would you beat me off?
teggeh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2011 at 11:48pm
inutil I partially agree.

But I bought the products. I can understand when someone reviews a product they didn't buy from here. But if I bought it from sierrasnowboard as it was at the time, they have it on record I bought the product. Whats the difference? Clearly someone I know has used the product. Otherwise I've wasted a bit of cash so I can get 3 points.
inutil View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 12:24am
I hope you didn't drop the cash just for three points. I hope you got some kind of use out of them too :)

Alas, It doesn't really matter if you bought the product or not, all that really matters is if you can make a good review and not get flagged :) Sounds cynical but thats pretty much the system.

As i said in my first point you probably shouldnt have been flagged because your review was informative and relevant. Alas you have to remember that the people with flagging powers have their own criteria of what is and isn't acceptable, and likley the person that flagged you did so almost entirely on the grounds that you started it off with the phrase "my girlfriend"... (or words to that effect.

This wont change though, there isnt really an appeals system. Even when expert members realise they flagged something unfairly and petition staff to remove the flag nothing ever happens :) So my only advice is just to learn from it and not let it phase you. Six points are diddly squat even in the context of yoru free bindings. It'll still take you about two to three years to get to 3000 points and well, those 6 points are equivalent to a day of not logging in and making 5 points :)

Also don't take it as a sleight on your character. Almost everyone has flags against them, its really not a big deal i promise.
teggeh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 2:37am
Fair enough.

Got plenty of stuff to review anyways.
inutil View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 3:03am
sourgummies View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 10:00pm
wow, there is some serious hate that goes on with these forums/reviews
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 10:12pm
They should probably review the people doing the flagging.  There's most likely a handful of angry trolls doing most of the uncalled for flags.
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2011 at 12:38am
The same thing happened to me and I tried to do another review of the product I got but it just got spammed again.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2011 at 1:27am
Originally posted by screwyvarmint

They should probably review the people doing the flagging.  There's most likely a handful of angry trolls doing most of the uncalled for flags.

Can you please direct me to what you think was an unfair flag? I know for a fact i flagged you in the dubstep thread. Of course maybe i misunderstood your comment, it can happen, but it looks very much like a non sequitur to me. Still, if it was a mistake, not to mind, you have 29 more flags before you dont gain points, and that would require quite the cache of non sequiturs. 

As for sourgummies, go look here for tips on writing reviews in the future. 

If you think its just a pair of socks and theres not much to say about them, very well, but expect the flag. best to avoid things you cant talk about with at least a modicum of detail. Still, you also have another 6 flags to get it right :) As for the other two reviews, jackets and skis are a big piece of kit so warrant a bit more information. Not to dig at you, its early doors, but its just to tell you the kind of review we're hoping for. Indeed, your other reviews are quite extensive. Keep to that level and its unlikely youll get another flag (unless you start reviewing every item that has a webpage). 

Skyfooze... you cant be serious, can you? You complaining about flags just goes to show exactly the kind of silliness that the review system encourages. 

Understand, we do try and look after the reviews system so that there's at least a minor chance that they have some kind of legitimacy in the eyes of prospective customers. We don't flag people because we're trolling you or we're 'full of hate'. We flag you because we're trying to protect the review system from the nonsense of the points system. We want people reading those reviews to feel they have enough genuine detail from other customers to help the potential buyer make a fair decision to purchase the item or not.  Understand though, the threshold of what qualifies as a passable review is VERY low. So if you got a flag, well, you know, maybe you should look at the link posted above for tips. 

Also understand, possession of an item (or its purchase from TruSnow means nothing. The review is judges on its own merits. 

What else? Spam in forums... there are lots of ways to spam forums. Its pretty laissez faire, but we are given the power to flag posts in the forums, and you are given a very high threshold before being locked out. Its not a big deal if you get a flag. Indeed, it gives you the option of getting your fifth point again by posting on this thread to complain you got a spam flag, making honors relatively even (except being the type of person i am, if i flag you and you complain about it i will explain why so it costs me a stack of time. :/). Usually we flag you for standard stuff that moderators on forums would try and clamp down on (to keep the forums ticing along nicely). recently theres been a slew of necro bumping and spam thread titles. These are flagged because theyre not made to foster discussion, but rather to gain a point. Its cynical and most of us get pissed off about it :)  

That being said, the statement: "i understand theyre all good when you properly prepare yourself..." seems utterly tangential to the discussion in the thread... care to explain exactly what you meant and how it related to any comment in the previous 2 or three pages of the thread? 

Seriously, im looking at it, and i feel a bit confused why you think that followed any part of the discussion or related to the thread in any way? I am of course prepared to accept that Ive simply misread it, but you'll understand if it seems unlikely, and thats why you got the flag. I judged it to be a post solely for the point and not an attempt to add to, or further the thread. It seems a very cynical post and personally i find it to be something to be discouraged on the forums. Hope that helps explain things. 

PS. Try not to take flags personally. Its really more a way of discouraging certain posting/reviewing habits. Its only exceptional circumstances that people are actually locked out of the reviews system (i cant even think of someone locked out of the forum points). And people will only get ten flags when it becomes apparent theyre abusing the system for points.  
m00m
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2011 at 4:38am
Originally posted by skyfooze

The same thing happened to me and I tried to do another review of the product I got but it just got spammed again.

stop spamming then. l looked at your spammed reviews, and it looks totally justified
 Post Reply Post Reply