Topic ClosedGetting in to park...

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Klv2ride View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting in to park...
    Posted: May/12/2011 at 7:59am
I've been telling myself that as soon as I think I'm confident enough on the groomers I will head over to the park. I got to that point this season where I wanted to go try it out but don't have a friend that rides the park to go with me and teach me so never did. The goal for next season is just to suck it up and teach myself. Hoping you guys could help me out with some tips, and just some experiences from your first few park runs! Thanks!!
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 8:35am
Learn to ride switch with confidence before going in the park.  Also, you can practice technique outside of the park.  for example riding flat on your board instead of an edge.
Did you google it?
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 8:52am
Keep your base flat and look toward the end of any feature.  I would start with a low to the ground, wide box.  That way you can't miss the box and if you do fall, it won't hurt as much.  Start playing in the baby park. 

Draw an imaginary box in the snow and try to flat base it if you're uncomfortable just trying on a box for the first time.

My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Klv2ride

I've been telling myself that as soon as I think I'm confident enough on the groomers I will head over to the park. I got to that point this season where I wanted to go try it out but don't have a friend that rides the park to go with me and teach me so never did. The goal for next season is just to suck it up and teach myself. Hoping you guys could help me out with some tips, and just some experiences from your first few park runs! Thanks!!

I don't recommend learning park by yourself. Not only will progress be very slow but with higher risk riding it is always good to have someone with you in case of injury.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 9:00am
I forgot to mention to wear a helmet.
Did you google it?
andrethegiant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 9:20am
please dont cut people off i probly landed on 5-6 kids and had to just fall over twenty times because of people transfering from small side left and riding down bigger ramp on right
Klv2ride View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 9:28am
Originally posted by andrethegiant

please dont cut people off i probly landed on 5-6 kids and had to just fall over twenty times because of people transfering from small side left and riding down bigger ramp on right

These type of posts really aggravate me. I didn't ask for a lesson in common courtesy. I'm really just interested in posts that will help me progress and learn to tear up the park!! Hope this doesn't offend anyone!!
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 9:32am

These type of posts really aggravate me. I didn't ask for a lesson in common courtesy. I'm really just interested in posts that will help me progress and learn to tear up the park!! Hope this doesn't offend anyone!!

You'll learn...most posts by andrethegiant will aggravate you.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 9:35am

it's the internetz brah, you'll hear everything from your momma this and that to folks actually answering your question.  Best thing to do is ignore the shiet posts and figure out what's useful and what isn't.

Stay mellow and keep reading grasshopper.Smile

Did you google it?
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 9:37am
rzero screw off thats a helpful posts the ending probly wasnt because i started thinking about it haha but klv i was meaning to say just show respect for the park staff and those kind of guys and they will give you some pointers
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 9:45am

rzero screw off thats a helpful posts the ending probly wasnt because i started thinking about it haha but klv i was meaning to say just show respect for the park staff and those kind of guys and they will give you some pointers

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 9:49am
Haha, clever joke; my friend, Rzero. To be honest, I have been searching for ages!
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 9:50am
Uh oh! Who's gonna post up the gif of MJ eating popcorn.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 9:59am

Haha, clever joke; my friend, Rzero. To be honest, I have been searching for ages!

what are you searching for?
Did you google it?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 10:02am
I volunteer although I'm going old school MJ eating popcorn:

Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 10:06am

I like the use of punctuation in this sentence.  A semicolon, really?

And here is the popcorn gif.

Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 10:10am
What did you want to do in the park?  The general guidelines, in anything, is to start small and have that down solid before you move up to larger features.  Also, Smart Style it.
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Sintexo

I like the use of punctuation in this sentence.  A semicolon, really?

And here is the popcorn gif.

a semicolon.....OH NO HE DI'INNNT!
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 10:21am

l'm a self taught park person. just take it slow dont rush and watch some snowbaording video. dont progress to fast and like others said, riding switch is important.

Klv2ride View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 10:33am
Since i dont have an experienced park rider to cone with me and give me the pointers and notice the mistakes i make I'm looking for ideas on where to start, the easiest things to hit so I can learn on those features, anything I could practice on the hill that would help me in the park, what helped you when you first learned, common mistakes that cause big spills, etc. Whatever you've got that you think I should know really!
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 10:34am
Old school Mike is way more into popcorn than Thriller Mike. They just don't make popcorn like they used to.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 10:47am

Since i dont have an experienced park rider to cone with me and give me the pointers and notice the mistakes i make I'm looking for ideas on where to start, the easiest things to hit so I can learn on those features, anything I could practice on the hill that would help me in the park, what helped you when you first learned, common mistakes that cause big spills, etc. Whatever you've got that you think I should know really!

you might have a tendency to lean back cause your not sure what to do.  Stay balanced, like with your weight above your board.  And ride flat features first before you go for down boxes or rails.  I've had my number of injured tailbones and the healing process is at least a wk or two.
Did you google it?
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 11:16am
Originally posted by RideTimeless

you might have a tendency to lean back cause your not sure what to do.  Stay balanced, like with your weight above your board.  And ride flat features first before you go for down boxes or rails.  I've had my number of injured tailbones and the healing process is at least a wk or two.

Wide, flat, low to the ground features.  There should be a beginner park with a small box that you can familarize yourself with.  Make sure the person in front of you clears out so you don't land on them and don't cut anyone off.  Look where you want to go since that is where you'll end up going so if you want to clear something look to the end of the feature.  That tidbit helps a lot when I'm trying to clear a rail. 

Another thing you can do is strike up a conversation on the chairlift and talk to ppl about the park.  They can sometimes give you pointers like which features are messed up, which ones are easy to take, etc.  Also if you start talking to people on the chairlift they might be like...I can show you real quick or you can ride with us if you're alone (but that could be because I'm a girl and it's a lot easier for me to become friends with people on the lift). 

Also just watch how other ppl are taking the features...see where they do their last speed check before they go onto the feature.  See where they start to just flat base when doing a 50-50.  You don't want to be adjusting yourself too close to the feature or you might be off balance when you go onto a feature. 
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
shredcrazy View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Shred Colorado!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 12:31pm
i just began to get into the community here and it really pisses me off how much spam is on here! off topic post are extremely annoying and clutter the hell out of a forum, please stop this!

Anyways when you start getting into park riding there are some things you need to know!
first of all safety! helmet, wrist guards, and knee pads are your best friends!
also the rules of the park will save you from possible death and utter disgrace, respect gets respect!  andrethegiant's  post was good advice.
If there are people waiting in line wait your turn, but don't be intimidated by other riders, and take your turn when it comes around! to avoid being cut off in line, call next drop, then call dropping when you drop in.  Never ever stop in the landing of a feature, on jibs it just annoys people who want to use that feature, but on jumps with blind landings it can result in death!!! ive almost smashed kids who were in the landing of a jump just because i had no clue they were there!
also some people are to scared to hit the jibs so they just "jump" off the lip, this ruins the shape of the lip, so it throws you off when you actually hit the feature.

Now to the fun stuff:
start small! the best feature to start on is a low wide box, first thing you want to learn is a 50-50, this is where you point your board straight at the feature and ride straight over it.
The best tip i could give for learning park jibs is that you dont use any edge on the feature! keep your board flat against it, if you go onto an edge your gonna fall!
Now to keep you from going on an edge you have to ride up to the feature straight and flat based, alot of beginners tend to slow down right before the feature and this puts them on an egde, not good, dont turn when your aproaching the feauture.  now if you think you might go to fast by pointing it straight, then move closer to the feature before you "drop in".  But something everybody learns is its actually easier to balance when your going faster, just like riding a bicycle, its physics. 
You'll probably want to pick out one feature and hike it, this is the easiest way to progress because you can get way more practice in then if you rode the lift, and hiking one feature is not bad at all.
ok once you got the 50-50 move onto the boardslide, drop in just like you would for a 50-50 then when your on the box twist your body to one side so your facing downhill and your boards sideways on the box, the most important thing to remember when first trying these is lean forward to keep your board flat based on the box! because the natural snowboarder instinct is to lean backwards on the heal edge to stop, and when your boardsliding your in the stopping position so you need to lean forward to keep you from falling on your butt!!!

Ok now jumping, start by learning how to ollie, this is so you can keep your balance in the air, and so you can keep flat based when you take off.  learning how to ollie is mostly just practice, start on a level surface, get flat based, lean backwards and put your weight on the tail of your board, this will act like a spring and help you hop into the air, you gotta do the movement quick though or you wont get any spring off your tail, anyways now for jumping, go to the jump you want to try and watch other people hit it, especially pay attention to how fast they go, you want to go fast enough to clear the "knuckle" of the jump (the flat part) if you land flat, you will most definitely hurt your knees!!! now when you drop in you can make some speed check turns but when you get to the jump make sure your going straight on a flat base, and when your in the air resist the urge to turn sideways into a stopping position, this is what most beginners do its just instinct, to counteract this try to grab your board on the toe side between the bindings this helps keep you balanced and going straight, when you land, lean forward and ride way, don't stop immediately or you'll probably fall over. another thing that helps you keep on top of your board is to make a shallow toe side turn after you land. (always land flat based then turn)

anyways im writing a book so i'll get off of here,

<as you can tell I'm not a spammer or i would have broke this post up into 20 just to get points.  GET A LIFE SPAMMERS

shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 4:32pm
i think it is decent idea to buy a video from Snowboard Addiction as an introduction to park riding.  Probably would be worth the price.
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 5:31pm
check out some of the how to videos on this site.  That's a good start.  From there, youtube is also a good resource.  Confidence and knowing how to fall are the best points of advice I can give. 
x_X
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 7:20pm
Not sure if your local resort offers it, but our mountain offers private lessons specific to park. I too am trying to better my park skills so next year I am going to take a few of these lessons to fine tune a few things. Like others have already said, start small and get comfortable and consistent with the smaller features. I always picture myself, in my head, hitting what ever feature I'm about to hit. I always check out each feature (take off and landing) prior to hitting it. A helmet is a must and I also us "impact short" to save my hips and tailbone. Stick with it, you'll get it.
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 12:42am
Great responses....I appreciate the advice offered here to the OP.  This is something I definitely want to improve upon as well.
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 1:06am
Don't try anything to hard. Just do some boxes and a few wider rails so you don't mess up too bad. If you hit a jump don't go really slow or you wil case and it will hurt really bad.
krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 3:31am
watch alot of youtube lol, how to videos. it will give you a good starting point. all the sierra snowboard how to vids are pretty good. and you have to go out there and just go for you. know that you are gonna fall. it will probably hurt. wear a helmet and just go for it!
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 3:51am
Originally posted by shredcrazy

i just began to get into the community here and it really pisses me off how much spam is on here! off topic post are extremely annoying and clutter the hell out of a forum, please stop this!

<as you can tell I'm not a spammer or i would have broke this post up into 20 just to get points.  GET A LIFE SPAMMERS

Good advice but you need to lighten up a bit.  Many people have been part of this community for a long time and there's a lot of smart-ass comments, joking and heckling.  If you took a minute to look at some of the smart-asses on this thread they are not posting to get points, once you reach 5 posts you do not receive any more "post points" (so breaking your long post into 20 parts would still result in just 5 points).  A lot of the smart-asses are just ripping each other, which if you're as serious as you sound you either need to ignore it, lighten up (Francis) or grow a thicker skin.  Besides, smart-ass posts are not spam.

scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 4:01am
everyone is post wait till ur confidient with this wait till u can ride switch well. dude F that this passed season was my first season and after 4 or 5 times going and figuring stuff out i was over at the park trying stuff. yes u never start like a pro but i was board slidding rails by the end of the season so aka 3 months of actual snowboarding

heres my advice get comfortable on the groomers yes with stopping and speed checking then go nuts. start with easy boxes and move from there. i started with a rainbow box and flat top to build confidence then went to a c box then to rails

i just need to go into it with confidence because if u dont thats when u get hurt. like when i hit an up rail that i was sketchy on.. yup dislocated rib. happy jibbin wear a helmet
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 5:15am
yeah i disagree with having switch down perfect, i feel like it comes and if not just hit park normal and ride to lift switch. i never taught myself to learn switch, and i can do 3's on most jumps and 5's on smaller hits, and a bunch of rail tricks. you'll get better with time, good luck man
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 5:19am
Just go in there and give it a shot.  That's how I learned.  You're gonna fall down a bunch, but that's how you get better.  You can't get into too much trouble on mellow boxes and small jumps.
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 7:11am
helmet~! highly recommend it!

take small jumps.. and you don't need to be very fast into the jump
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 10:48am
Originally posted by shwazy

i think it is decent idea to buy a video from Snowboard Addiction as an introduction to park riding.  Probably would be worth the price.

Agreed.  It's not as useful as a park-certified instructor, but it would be a great starting point for the price.  And you can use TruSnow as a discount code to get 10% off.  After using those as a starting point, maybe check in with an instructor after a few months so they can see if you've developed any bad habits.
Klv2ride View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 11:39am
Thank you for all the advice!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm not so concerned with the falling (It took me a long time to figure out slowing down so I had my fair share of nasty, head over heels, yardsale type falls) but I felt like I should have some kind of pointers before I jumped in to it. You guys are great!! Wish my mountains were still open so I could go NOWW!
And andre excuse my big mouth. I'll keep my opinions about peoples posts to myself.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Marumm

Originally posted by shwazy

Agreed.  It's not as useful as a park-certified instructor, but it would be a great starting point for the price.  And you can use TruSnow as a discount code to get 10% off.  After using those as a starting point, maybe check in with an instructor after a few months so they can see if you've developed any bad habits.

absolutely...getting instruction from someone who knows what they are talking about is hard to put a price on...i do recommend that if you are going to pay for lessons do some research, ask around, and find out who knows there stuff.  All teachers are not made equal!
2zz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2011 at 1:06pm
get a helmet if you haven't done so. learn to ride switch and ollie good. get your grabs in during ollies and/or small lips/features. then learn 180s off flat land and slow speeds. then learn 180s off little lips and hits. start wall riding. then ollie off wall rides. then 180 off walls, then 270s off walls. start hitting boxes. start pressing and buttering. then ollie into 180 and butter out. then press into 180 and butter out. then butter into a 180 and press out. nose/tail press boxes. this should be a full season worth of fun. if you can, incorp. 360s into the mix.    
Spud! View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2011 at 10:56pm
Start off small, learn to ride switch is a huge benefit and will help you progress heaps quicker

Byers View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2011 at 12:38am
I was the same as you man, I've probably got the most experience out of all my mates and wanted to get into park along time before them, if you haven't even rode boxes before I'd definitely reccomend starting there, good practice at approach, speed etc.
All you need to do is get flat and ride the centre of the box, don't try to jump off the end just let yourself cruise off with the speed you have.
After that practice getting little air off bumps in a trail then go to jumps then try grabs, there are some pretty good clips on youtube and on here to give you the basics of each area. Definitely practice riding switch and get really comfortable before you try spins.
Byers - Boarding since '99
inutil View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2011 at 4:21am
went to the indoor slope near me last weekend.

1 step forward, ten steps back.

I was CRUISING. I was KILLING it on all the boxes and rails (by killing it i mean i wasnt falling on my face), and then made the foolish mistake of eating some colonel.

Hit the first box, its just a straight beginners box, so no problem, im getting good at this.
Then thought, should i speed check this next one? Nah! i can do this! Its one of those boxes with a flat part then a downward kink, and out of nowhere the idea came in my head "i reckon i can jump that flat bit and land on the downward bit!!"

BLAM!!

It must have ripped my poor sphincter wide open. I was privy to a snowcold enema.

Anyway, I picked myself up, and thought "hang on, that was a one off based on pure stupidity, what the hell made me think i could land that? Ill be more sensible next time"

So i got on the lift and immediately went to hit them again. Only i must have been shaken a bit because just as i went to hit the straight box, the dude in front of me fell just after landing which completely threw me. I lost my line and ended up off balance. The result was a fall onto my back. Being a guy though, i got up, shook it off and said "get your pride back". So stupidly went to hit the kink only to fall face first, get a mild concussion and knacked my knee :)

The moral of the story is this: If you do take a hit, you probably want to rest a bit. That burst of energy you just got is adrenaline, not excitement. And you got it because your body is very annoyed at you.

The other moral for me (who clearly has no balance) is get some proper padding. Better that than wasting a day of your three day vacation blind drunk till twelve in the afternoon because your knee is too painfu.... actually, id rather have the all nighter in truth :)
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2011 at 6:34pm
WEAR A HELMET WHILE LEARNING.

Pretty easy to slide out and smack the back of your head in particular while learning to boardslide etc
tomek77pl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2011 at 6:50pm
^ agreed i wear a helmet at all times now and will soon wear wrist guards because i messed my wrist last time
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2011 at 9:21pm
If you can afford it, www.highcascade.com  Go to summer snowboard camp and you will be riding park in a week.
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2011 at 1:25am
few people have already said it, but watch out for people around you. last time i was in the park a shtooking skier decided to cut off her jumps and veer onto my line and i ate sh*t pretty hard trying to avoid her.
Skoojoo View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2011 at 2:00am
I have a great idea! Dont be cheap and get an actual lesson in the park instead of getting second hand summer time internet information that you wont be able to compute onto the snow. A live instructor can tell you exactly how to do it right, can watch you, and tell you exactly what you need to fix.
'10 Academy Team 152 w/ '10 Flux Super Titan
'10 Rome Pusher 150 w/ '10 Flux Super Emblem
'10 Sierra Stunt 147 w/ '10 Flux Super Emblem
'11 GNU LDT Park Pickle 153 w/ '10 Super Emblems
thesupaflies View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2011 at 9:20am
start off on wide boxes and like a lot of ppl on here say have your board flat. if you try to turn while on a box or rail you WILL fall. instead if you find your board rotating to one side or another you can swing out or in your back foot to make the board straight again. also dont go too slow. its kind of like riding a bike you cant go so slow or you wont be able to balance. i personally think rails are better than boxes because when you slide off the side of the rail there isnt this 2ft wide box for you to hit your knees on. and when you slide off the side of a rail or box dont fight it, just make sure your board stays flat and just ride away. hope this helps
 Post Reply Post Reply