Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
eschmunk View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why was my thread locked-
    Posted: May/18/2011 at 11:52pm
[RANT]

Didn't want to post a new thread asking this question but didn't know what else to do.

I created a TruSnow Counting Game thread and it was locked in the matter of minutes, why? I would of PM the person who locked it, but it doesn't say who did it.

I figure with all the other useless threads we have, why not make another one that could be fun.

[END RANT]
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 12:31am
not going to happen chief. Ps. Chances are this one will be locked too :)

Your thread was locked because the last thing anyone wants is a free excuse for people to farm their points. If that was the case you'd get 7 points for a login and then nothing for posting. And were that the case, forum activity would probably die on its ass. Now, if you recall your history you'll remember that one of the BIG things that the-house/active sports wanted was the nice cheap inventory, but also the FORUMS. Pretty simple: they want ACTIVITY, but they want relevant activity that has you not running to the same 5 threads (the funny picture thread, the what beer are you drinking now thread, one of the ten thousand music threads, the free giveaway thread and one of the other threads you can comment on some staff announcement made half a year ago with something like "about time!" or "i cant wait!" or "great news!" and the like).

Basically theres more than enough utter shit out there. Adding to it does not help to remove the shit. It simply ADDS to it. Thats basic maths right there:

Shit + Shit = more shit.

This also something of an exponential law, since more shit on the forums means more people claiming that the place is already shit so who cares about a little bit more shit.

(As this thread and the justification clearly demonstrates).

Instead, the model theyre actually trying to achieve is:

Shit - some shit = less shit.

Hence why your thread got locked. Hope that helps.
m00m
eschmunk View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 1:28am
So who determines which useless thread gets to stay and which one doesn't?

Not that it really matters, I agree that there is a lot of shit out there and not much of it or any other thread really pertains to snowboarding.

As for locking this thread, it probably should be, before it turns out to be another one of the utterly useless threads as well.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 1:34am
Originally posted by eschmunk

So who determines which useless thread gets to stay and which one doesn't?

Not that it really matters, I agree that there is a lot of shit out there and not much of it or any other thread really pertains to snowboarding.

As for locking this thread, it probably should be, before it turns out to be another one of the utterly useless threads as well.

whoever is on at that time that has the power to lock a thread.  there's really no set list that someone goes through to determine whether a thread is to be locked or not.

My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 2:12am
any staff and expert can lock your thread. and if you make another duplicate thread thats already stickied or ask multiple times, you will get spammed/locked out.  and if you agree theres alot of shit out there, then stop making them 
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 6:44am
Ha, the locking of his thread is the biggest hypocritical piece of shit. If it were one of OG's that decided to start the thread it would have been fine, but since it wasn't then the thread must be junk and needs to be locked. That thread was no different than the randomness, funny pic, etc, threads which so many people love. Add to the fact it gives point whores another useless place to post those threads help with irrelevant posts in decent threads.

However, the biggest bottom line to it all is this site officially sucks. Anyone worth shot saying has all but left, most threads are garbage, and most of the people who don't know their ass from their face give out awful advice. There is no way that this forum can be profitable to the owners. I would be surprised if it isn't shut down in the near future.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 7:23am
Originally posted by ippollite

Your thread was locked because the last thing anyone wants is a free excuse for people to farm their points. If that was the case you'd get 7 points for a login and then nothing for posting.

Holy crap, Ippy, I think you actually just stumbled upon the answer.  Change the system to 7 points for a login and remove points for posting.  No points for posts = less crap?
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 7:38am
Originally posted by fishkur

Originally posted by ippollite

Your thread was locked because the last thing anyone wants is a free excuse for people to farm their points. If that was the case you'd get 7 points for a login and then nothing for posting.

Holy crap, Ippy, I think you actually just stumbled upon the answer.  Change the system to 7 points for a login and remove points for posting.  No points for posts = less crap?

It wouldn't be just less crap, it would be almost nothing.  It's really not that hard to ignore the crappy threads that are pretty clear by their titles.  I would rather do that then have it be a ghost town.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 7:48am
^ I'm sure eliminating points for posts would result in some people dropping off this forum but personally I think points should be awarded for logging in, valid product reviews and purchases.  No more points for posts.  The people who truly enjoy being part of this online community will continue to do so.  The point whores will fade away.

I don't think this joint will turn into a ghost town if points for posts are eliminated.
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Instructing How to Douglas!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 8:19am
Site moderating is primarily myself and the Expert Members.

Threads get locked and for many reasons.

Sometimes the thread holds little to no merit, there may already be a similar thread that should be used,  and sometimes our site moderators are tired of seeing pointless non-discussions cluttering the forums. 

Whatever the reason, threads at times need to get locked to keep the site from exploding with even more pointless garbage.

AngrySnowboarder, good to see you here contributing to the conversation. Wink

Eschmunk, what is the link the thread that was locked?
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 8:43am

Here lies Horse. He was beat to death. Rest in Peace old friend.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Scorer099

Ha, the locking of his thread is the biggest hypocritical piece of shit. If it were one of OG's that decided to start the thread it would have been fine, but since it wasn't then the thread must be junk and needs to be locked. That thread was no different than the randomness, funny pic, etc, threads which so many people love. Add to the fact it gives point whores another useless place to post those threads help with irrelevant posts in decent threads.

However, the biggest bottom line to it all is this site officially sucks. Anyone worth shot saying has all but left, most threads are garbage, and most of the people who don't know their ass from their face give out awful advice. There is no way that this forum can be profitable to the owners. I would be surprised if it isn't shut down in the near future.

Angry - There you go, point-whoring again.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 10:39am
Originally posted by ctoma

Ya, cuz i reallllllly need the gear...
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 10:58am
Hi Doug, I'm sure you read my post somewhere about why active bought this site and what you need to do to it, but Angry and Ippy is right.  This site and forum is becoming as profitable as any other "the-house" online retail shop.  The community does not bring any added value, IMO, except to get an influx of traffic at 3pm PST for less than 10min.

I know you have a new mission statement and all activity is in the works, but has removing points for posts been proposed?  Who are the moderators anyways?  Cause I don't see many expert members around as before, as Angry said.  And I don't know why you're moderating.  Didn't know that was under your roles and responsibilities.
Did you google it?
psubballfan12 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 11:22am
Points for posting was actually removed for a while too if my memory is correct. Maybe it should go back that way.
Protect your domes
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 11:38am

This is no different from any other forum...  I liken them to police.  They give you tickets for speeding, etc. but when they do it or their friends do it, it is fine.
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 11:55am
Originally posted by dougfagel

Sometimes the thread holds little to no merit, there may already be a similar thread that should be used,  and sometimes our site moderators are tired of seeing pointless non-discussions cluttering the forums. 

Whatever the reason, threads at times need to get locked to keep the site from exploding with even more pointless garbage.

but not all experts have the lock power.....Confused
eschmunk View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 12:27pm

Sometimes the thread holds little to no merit, there may already be a similar thread that should be used, and sometimes our site moderators are tired of seeing pointless non-discussions cluttering the forums.

AngrySnowboarder, good to see you here contributing to the conversation.

http://www.trusnow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47363&PID=1041878

Don't worry about it though, it isn't worth it.
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 12:34pm
SOMETHING IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET OH NO
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 12:43pm

Originally posted by ctoma

Ya, cuz i reallllllly need the gear...

I think you get that I was being sarcastic but just in case you didn't... I was being sarcastic.
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 1:03pm

words like "in before the lock" jump to my head.

but contributing to the a pyramid of shit doesnt really seem to be appropriate since it leads to things like locked threads.

@ctoma- dont you wish they made a "sarcastic" font for such occasions?
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 2:35pm

AngrySnowboarder, good to see you here contributing to the conversation. Wink

You need to make a disclaimer somewhere along the lines of TruSnow reserves the right to delete any thread, post, or account at our discrestion." (To avoid any complications or complaints about points being lost.)
Then delete any useless thread or post on the forum instead of locking them or marking them as spam.
I mean look at this guy/gal, none of their posts are even relevant to snowboarding and you'll notice the pattern that someone is going to have to mark the next 18 posts by them as spam.
Not to mention the hundreds of locked threads makes forum searching that much more difficult for computer iliterate members.
Most other forum boards straight up delete, only thing preventing you to my knowledge is the point accumulation and spam count, disclaimer away.

Just my 2 cents. Lamp
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by nautika96

@ctoma- dont you wish they made a "sarcastic" font for such occasions?

Great idea, I'll get to work on it! 

Seriously, there should be a "sarcastic" font.  The /* sarcasm */ thing isn't good enough.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 5:30pm
hypocrisy assumes a system is in place and that we all moderate according to it. There isnt, and we obviously dont.
m00m
NedHead2 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Grandpa Morstoel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 6:32pm
Bump, because there is nothing more intersting than a pointless thread going on FOREVER!
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by NedHead2

Bump, because there is nothing more intersting than a pointless thread going on FOREVER!

then stop fking posting on this useless thread when its going nowhere. so stop being a hypocrite and stfu
NedHead2 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Grandpa Morstoel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by kel

Originally posted by NedHead2

then stop fking posting on this useless thread when its going nowhere. so stop being a hypocrite and stfu

Ahhhhhhhhh...but that's the point.
 Post Reply Post Reply