VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How is everyone doing-
    Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 5:22am

Hi everyone,

Since we are a community, I would like to see how everyone is doing?
All the lurkers and regulars and of course new comers.

Just to start, I am having fun playing golf nowadays. Trying to get the wife to start.
Still talking about boarding and places I would like to board, trips I would like to go on.
Hoping to go fishing one of these days...
Overall very happy in life right now.
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 5:34am

As good as can be considering I am at work.  Enjoying summer, and getting ready to get hitched in Hawaii in around a month.  Life is good, thank's for asking. Big smile

I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 7:44am
Im okay wish i had a job =/ playing hopefully up to december then i can jump right into boarding!
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
jjfreak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 7:59am
Not too great...stuck at work....need a farking vacation.....
PROCRASTINATION - Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 8:01am
getting prepped for a Sonora pass backcountry camping/partying/shredding weekend . . . .  Anybody been out there yet this year?  Suggestions for lines we should ride?

-b
get bent
gamelessx25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 8:01am
Freaking awesome, 1 week in a sunshine destination and I feel like a million bucks. So if science is right, 1 vacation every 3 month should keep you happy for the whole year =)
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 8:07am
CoMtnRider- Congrats!! is it expensive to get hitched in Hawaii?
bryman- dang envious.. still shredding.. nice

We have the U.S. Open here in DC right now. Dang I wish I could go...
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 8:10am
Originally posted by VTBear

CoMtnRider- Congrats!! is it expensive to get hitched in Hawaii?
bryman- dang envious.. still shredding.. nice

The actual wedding is around 3k, it's the hotel and airfare that adds up going there.  However, when you consider some/most people pay 10k+ just for the wedding site, not to mention the cost of the reception for however many people they invite, it's a damn good deal.  We could have done the wedding for around 1000 but we upgraded so it will be a sick ceremony on the beach, with a super stretch limo too and from for all the wedding party, plus all kinds of extras.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 8:21am
^^^ my wife's partner went to a wedding in Carmel/Pebble beach a couple weeks ago where the parents had to pay $10k to rent a TENT.  That's just awful.  CO make sure that the biggest expense is alcohol, that way everyone has a good time.  Have fun man

-b
get bent
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 8:25am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

^^^ my wife's partner went to a wedding in Carmel/Pebble beach a couple weeks ago where the parents had to pay $10k to rent a TENT.  That's just awful.  CO make sure that the biggest expense is alcohol, that way everyone has a good time.  Have fun man

-b

A bottle of Champagne and Crystal Flutes are included in the package.  Plus I'm taking 2 bottles of crown over with me.  My dad is picking up the wedding night dinner, he has no idea that bill is going to come up to $500+, but that's pretty much all he's paying for so he can deal haha.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 8:27am
^^^ you need to look into that $90k bottle of champagne that Mark Cuban bought Dirk in south beach:

15L Ace of Spades, apparently

-b
get bent
Stanky13 View Drop Down
Local
Local
day one of my new addiction

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 8:38am
stressing....
dealing with buying a new house, getting ready to get married and putting too many hours into work. i need a vacation...
not to mention i am depressed the snow is gone.

but it will be nice when it is all said and done and i can call myself a home owner :)
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Stanky13

stressing....
dealing with buying a new house, getting ready to get married and putting too many hours into work. i need a vacation...
not to mention i am depressed the snow is gone.

but it will be nice when it is all said and done and i can call myself a home owner :)

Hopefully you are shopping around like crazy for a loan officer.  They are seriously hurting right now and will take anything.  I got one to give me an amazing rate and basically pay my closing costs for me.  He wanted to roll them into the loan and I said "That's cool, I have another broker who said they will eat those costs to have my loan".  He changed his tune pretty quickly.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 8:55am
smart.. very smart..

for some reason I have never been able to shop for loan officers... weird. Next time I will definitely do it. I have always had someone refer loan officers.

I'm very glad that I got a townhouse instead of a single home. My place would have become a jungle, guaranteed! I never go out to our back yard as it is.. I think in the 3 years I've lived here I have been out in the backyard maybe 4 times. (every time was to fix something or take a look at something) lol
pheonix View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 8:57am
im in desperate need of a job but i think im getting one monday so im very optimistic
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 9:19am

smart.. very smart..

for some reason I have never been able to shop for loan officers... weird. Next time I will definitely do it. I have always had someone refer loan officers.

I'm very glad that I got a townhouse instead of a single home. My place would have become a jungle, guaranteed! I never go out to our back yard as it is.. I think in the 3 years I've lived here I have been out in the backyard maybe 4 times. (every time was to fix something or take a look at something) lol

Funny, we are constantly in the backyard.  We basically live back there once the weather gets nice.  I just put in two trees this past weekend, and got the fountain all setup.  I love chillin on the deck having a brew.
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 9:26am
Doing Ok. I'm excited to be goin boarding tomorrow. I am looking for a job. I have a job offer on the table but it is probably one of the worst jobs out there. The hours are from 3am to 6am every day. No days off ever. I'm broke so I might just have to take it..
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 9:26am
Ah, see mine is small.. dinky.. tiny.
The deck is nice, but I like going out and having a drink when the weather is nice and not humid.. but dont't do much out there.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 9:34am

Ah, see mine is small.. dinky.. tiny.
The deck is nice, but I like going out and having a drink when the weather is nice and not humid.. but dont't do much out there.

I so read this out of context...good stuff.
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 9:46am
Hey Co and Stanky congrats!

I'm still in class and looking at a home close by to upgrade to. It's a pretty exciting change. No more stacking gear on gear on gear in a corner for each season. 
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 10:10am
life is good. i've come to that point where i've accepted summer and have been able to mentally put winter out of my mind. time to backpack and golf
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 11:03am
Meh, over all I am having a pretty decent week. Been stressing lately about not having a job (been since last Nov.) but it seems I am not alone!

been getting out and skateboarding again, so that is fixing some of my want to ride. Been riding my bike a lot lately too, (bicycle) and been shedding some weight!! YEAH! Really happy about that, and i know the wifey is too.. little bummed though, need to get a re-build kit for my pedals and rear wheel.
krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 11:30am
So far my summer is going good, playing golf almost everyday.. Working all week, building up my car to somerhing crazy fast, and i just ordered a sierra stunt! Hell yea!
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 11:33am
Me, well, other than working my normal job, I've been working around the house and getting some yard work done since the rain is gone.  Getting ready for a few camping trips this year, and enjoying the time with my family while my boys are off for summer break.  It's just tough keeping them occupied.Confused
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 11:43am
I'm still struggling to grasp why so many people don't have jobs that actually try to get jobs. 98% of the people I know that aren't working aren't looking.
Evilives View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Nuclear

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 12:05pm
Pretty good, its my day off and its raining outside so I didn't have to mow the lawn like I thought I would have to. Probably will get bitched at none the less but oh well, been playing video games and watching tv all day. 
"Don't think, just do."
Stanky13 View Drop Down
Local
Local
day one of my new addiction

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by rzero

I'm still struggling to grasp why so many people don't have jobs that actually try to get jobs. 98% of the people I know that aren't working aren't looking.

i am not sure about you, but where i live, times are tough out there. unemployment is starting to go down a little, but have reached record highs. 

a broke state means a bunch of bankrupt cities. when i first got out of college i was looking for a job at a local police department or county sheriff department. it goes without saying that didnt work out since there was a state wide, city wide, county wide hiring freeze due to the budget. 

but i will agree that many people dont look for jobs and live off of unemployment. i was surprised when my friend told me how much he gets in unemployment.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 12:17pm

I would freakin love to have a summer vacation like back in school.. 3 months..

damn.. but then again, that would be ALOT of money.
Playing golf 4-5 times a week, going fishing once a week, watching movies paying matinee.
Having a 2-3 day poker fest at Charlestown or AC...
go on a few Charter boats..
Maybe go down to Myrtle beach and play some golf.
Definitely goto Cali and golf, fish, beach and In-and-Out.
Travel to other countries.

ah.. besides the money, the other problem would be someone to do all that with. My wife doesnt play golf or poker, she kinda likes fishing..

rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Stanky13

i am not sure about you, but where i live, times are tough out there. unemployment is starting to go down a little, but have reached record highs. 

a broke state means a bunch of bankrupt cities. when i first got out of college i was looking for a job at a local police department or county sheriff department. it goes without saying that didnt work out since there was a state wide, city wide, county wide hiring freeze due to the budget. 

but i will agree that many people dont look for jobs and live off of unemployment. i was surprised when my friend told me how much he gets in unemployment.

Only makes those rates grow higher and higher. Don't get me wrong, I think it is great we have a system in place to help those in need when they are in hard times. I struggle  plenty being 26 single living alone with no car. I don't know how people support whole families on a single income that isn't over 100k
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 12:20pm
Yeah, I will admit, I have not looked as much as I should, or could. BUT one part about my unemployment has been purposeful, at least the first few months. My past job the stress was literally killing me. Started getting sick, fevers, cold sweats, dizziness and so on. The job was insane, and got paid pennies for what I actually did. I took the first few months off everything responsible in my life. I got fired in Nov. so i just took the time to hit the slopes as many times as i possibly could, see as many bands as i could, and travel to places that actually had mountains and real snow (live in ohio..) I had a good amount of money saved up before i got fired, and have an amazing wife with a killer job that didn't mind paying some of my bills so i could get on my board more.
I have been looking a lot lately, and find most jobs i would want to do/can do require more experience, or certification than i have. Also, there are a few jobs i passed up because i did not want to be back in a fast paced/high profile "office" situation anymore.
Also my unemployment checks ran out about 2 months ago, so it's time to really hammer down. Have a phone interview in about an hour so we will see....we will see.

on a side note, i was also surprised to learn how much a friend of mine gets a week for his, $540!!

i used to get 312 a week.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by batmanwest

Yeah, I will admit, I have not looked as much as I should, or could. BUT one part about my unemployment has been purposeful, at least the first few months. My past job the stress was literally killing me. Started getting sick, fevers, cold sweats, dizziness and so on. The job was insane, and got paid pennies for what I actually did. I took the first few months off everything responsible in my life. I got fired in Nov. so i just took the time to hit the slopes as many times as i possibly could, see as many bands as i could, and travel to places that actually had mountains and real snow (live in ohio..) I had a good amount of money saved up before i got fired, and have an amazing wife with a killer job that didn't mind paying some of my bills so i could get on my board more.
I have been looking a lot lately, and find most jobs i would want to do/can do require more experience, or certification than i have. Also, there are a few jobs i passed up because i did not want to be back in a fast paced/high profile "office" situation anymore.
Also my unemployment checks ran out about 2 months ago, so it's time to really hammer down. Have a phone interview in about an hour so we will see....we will see.

on a side note, i was also surprised to learn how much a friend of mine gets a week for his, $540!!

i used to get 312 a week.

scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 12:45pm
Im rolling along summer blows for me cuz its full of summer classes but in my off time im working out a lot and freebording here and there when i can. im just trying to keep the jitters down while i wait for the snow to come back. be nice if i could win a board on one of these give aways
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 12:56pm
That's pretty cool. Going to have to check that out. Interesting.

Just so you all know, I worked this past job for almost 5 years, and the last 2 1/2 of those years without a raise, compensation, bonus and such, even after they made me the administrator on 2 different projects, and almost doubling my hours, my pay did not change. I asked for a raise, and within 5 hours I was told to turn in my key, my security codes, and hit the road. THEN they fought my unemployment claim for a month and a half. I finally won, those bastards....but...uhh...yeah, i guess for the better.

I have had the time to try my hand at a bunch of things i normally would not of had the time for. One of which is wood working (mainly table making and frame building) out of old reclaimed ohio barn wood. DAMN fun, but trying to start that up as a main source of income is a bitch.

Got a bunch of applications in at a few interior/exterior house painting firms, and a few for driving forklifts and heavy equip. at different warehouses in town. crossing fingers. At this point in my life i just want something basic. simple, easy to do, with my hands, and is NOT in the electrical refurbishment/film field.

I gotta tell you, and it sounds corny, but i am not sure what i would do with out the support of my wife these past few months.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 1:01pm
^^^ hang in there homie, I'm confident things will be looking up shortly.  And remember, you always have the support of the TS forum/chatroom (hopefully . . . .)

-b
get bent
K8sgotgame View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 1:22pm

I'm going Sunday with pavillion tickets on the 18th!!
Borsa View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 4:01pm
I'm just working and living for the most part.  Now that the snow has all melted, I've been keeping myself busy by running at the park and joined a softball team that plays on the weekend and practices regularly.  Just trying to keep in shape for the next season.  I also am always looking for good deals on new gear, not that I need anything new.  Looking forward to going to Pittsburgh Pirates games.  Its going to a long but very good summer!
Magulley View Drop Down
Local
Local
Nananananana!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 4:08pm

Stressing.

So far my summer break has consisted of moving halfway across the country. Dealing with movers messing things up in both locations (shipment was nearly 3 weeks late on delivery and missing a box). Starting my DPT program in a week and I haven't started studying nearly enough. Starting next Monday I will be in class 7 days a week for 8 weeks with no breaks, not even July 4th. Kinda upset I bough a wakeboard now that I live on the ocean and got to use it a few times but my buddy is selling his boat. Not that it matters due to the aforementioned 7 days a week for class.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent. aaaaaaahh.....
Danny1Boy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 4:46pm
Just got done snowboarding and im feeln pretty good! Put on a good song, do a bowl, and try my hand at call of dutyBig smile
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 8:04pm

I'm still struggling to grasp why so many people don't have jobs that actually try to get jobs. 98% of the people I know that aren't working aren't looking.

I am looking every day. The problem is that the types of jobs I can get I don't want. That probably won't change until I graduate college. The only places that seem to have any interest in me working for them are jobs like pizza delivery, newspaper delivery, overnight warehouse jobs ect. I have gotten sick of these jobs but it seems I'm going to have to take one of them again this summer. Sigh.
odoyale rules View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by robsta

I'm still struggling to grasp why so many people don't have jobs that actually try to get jobs. 98% of the people I know that aren't working aren't looking.

I am looking every day. The problem is that the types of jobs I can get I don't want. That probably won't change until I graduate college. The only places that seem to have any interest in me working for them are jobs like pizza delivery, newspaper delivery, overnight warehouse jobs ect. I have gotten sick of these jobs but it seems I'm going to have to take one of them again this summer. Sigh.
Honestly just go for whatever you can if it's just for summer. Then look for a real internship or something during the school year.

I am in the same boat and got a job at bestbuy but quit just as I found out I got an internship. As long as you are looking something will come up.

And I agree with robsta's comment. All my friends that wanted jobs (even just for the summer) have found them. They may not be the ideal job but they are still getting paid.

18 days and counting

I make custom diecuts (stickers). PM me for info
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 9:26pm
doing alright over here...I have an unpaid internship all summer, working 40 hours a week and gotta wear a suit every day.  oh well, that's just the way it is...good experience at least.  Starting to get really hot here in Davis/Sac, I can't stand the summers up here-more of a cold weather person.  Trying to stay on the ice, playing in an adult league every thursday night in Roseville.  Besides that, just kickin it and drinking burrrs.  My GF is in Vegas right now with her sister, super jelly about that one.  Oh well, NBD.
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
Breadie View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 9:46pm
Currently working as a volunteer for migration firm, all the while trying to score myself a grad spot.

All about experience these days, which makes it hard for fresh grads. Guess people are still holding back a bit after the gfc. They just want people who can get in and start helping them make money rather than to train them up

hmm in time i guess ><
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 9:59pm
I'm starting to stress a bit with July approaching. I've got an event booked (wedding/event photography) every weekend that month and I'll be working crazy hours to keep up. Besides that, I can't really complain. My ankle has been healing and now going to physio for some treatment/rehab. I'm thinking it's time for me to start buying lotto tickets again too.
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
surgyon View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 10:32pm
Studying and staying in shape got to take USMLE STEP 3 a 2 day 18 hour event and be done with boards forever...
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 11:46pm
Well, these 12 - 14 hrs a day are killing me now that I've gotten older.  A great job but one for youth.  Am looking far and wide for something overseas but no luck.  Kicking myself for declining a job in Bridgeport, CA....45 mins south of Tahow and 45 mins north of Mammoth.
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 12:33am
getting through study and 2 more law exams next week then i'm off to europe for 7 weeks! once these two exams are done, i'll be very happy indeed!
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 8:41am
sweet, where in Europe are you going?

I am going to Philly for the weekend to eat some cheesesteaks and chill with my wife.
Next week I'll be going fishing.
The week after probably some golf.
The week after going to Niagara Falls and Toronto with Mom and Sis's family.
No plans after that
beunknown View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 9:09am
Things are great for me. It's summer, I finally found a job (to all of you complaining, I would have gladly taken yours), and I'm moving to Idaho in the late summer, so next winter will be amazing. Congrats CO, I'm pretty jealous about the whole wedding in Hawaii. Sounds like you got a deal!
idshredhead View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 9:11am
what part of idaho?
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 9:24am
Originally posted by batmanwest

That's pretty cool. Going to have to check that out. Interesting.

Just so you all know, I worked this past job for almost 5 years, and the last 2 1/2 of those years without a raise, compensation, bonus and such, even after they made me the administrator on 2 different projects, and almost doubling my hours, my pay did not change. I asked for a raise, and within 5 hours I was told to turn in my key, my security codes, and hit the road. THEN they fought my unemployment claim for a month and a half. I finally won, those bastards....but...uhh...yeah, i guess for the better.

I have had the time to try my hand at a bunch of things i normally would not of had the time for. One of which is wood working (mainly table making and frame building) out of old reclaimed ohio barn wood. DAMN fun, but trying to start that up as a main source of income is a bitch.

Got a bunch of applications in at a few interior/exterior house painting firms, and a few for driving forklifts and heavy equip. at different warehouses in town. crossing fingers. At this point in my life i just want something basic. simple, easy to do, with my hands, and is NOT in the electrical refurbishment/film field.

I gotta tell you, and it sounds corny, but i am not sure what i would do with out the support of my wife these past few months.

That blows man, I'm lucky I have a company that appreciates my work, but I think stories like yours are way more common sadly.  Don't underestimate the power of emotional support, it can keep you from becomming a train wreck during those hard times.  Obviously being single has it's perks, but having someone there when you really need them can make all the difference sometimes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>