Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AndrewCoxx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: extruded or sintered-
    Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 2:38pm
im looking at the choices i have and im wondering if have a sintered base makes that much of a difference? what are the pros and cons? does extruded have more durabilty? i dont want to be buying another board after i get a stairmaster so i hope it will last at least 4 seasons...
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 2:42pm
There is a whole section for questions like these under articles

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 2:56pm
a lot of that info is wrong, like that extruded is more durable.  it's less dense and is more prone to impact damage.  the plus side though is that if you DO get a gouge it's easier to fix than sintered.

also, extruded is not pressed together like it sounds like they're saying, the pellets are melted and the liquid state pellets are extruded through an opening into their shape.  that's literally what extrusion is, like when you make spaghetti noodles or whatever.

it also makes it sound like an extruded base is always "much" slower than a waxed sintered base.  this is simply not true.  you can have very fast extruded bases, but sintered bases CAN be faster at times depending on the conditions, and you can also fine tune your waxing to the specific conditions to gain a slight edge, but it's not nearly as big of a difference as they make it seem.

for sintered, they don't just force the pellets together.  they grind them up into a powder and then do it.  that's literally what sintering means.  they also use a more dense plastic, it's not just the same material as extruded.

there are also NO PORES IN SINTERED BASES.  that is a metaphor for base structure.  there are microscopic nooks, crannies, vallies, etc in the base, because of the way they're made and finished.  that's what the wax adheres to, but it does not go INSIDE the base.  that's also why a sintered base with NO wax is so painfully slow.. the structure basically grips the snow.

my general opinion is that if you have the time to take care of your base and prefer to fine tune and wax regularly, always go sintered.  if you want to not care and just go ride, go extruded.  i know a handful of guys who have been riding for 20+ years, old gnar dog shredders, who still prefer extruded cause they just want to go snowboard and not care so much.
tomek77pl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 4:09pm
great info ^ I never knew that but i always heard sintered was better
gamelessx25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 5:33pm
Go with extruded, it's less maintainence and cheaper overall to buy. Sintered bases need more TLC and are more suited for racing. You gotta know your stuff to properly wax it to the snow conditions of the day you're riding to notice any significant difference.

My 2cp, extruded base with an all temp wax and have fun! If you want to spent more money and go a bit faster, sintered.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 5:45pm
extruded doesn't hold wax.  a sintered base with all temp wax will do/be what you said.

and it's not that sintered bases cost more, you just find them on more "advanced" boards that happen to be more expensive.  whether that slab of base material cost a little more is irrelevant, cause they can put them on any board they want, they just go on higher end boards far more often than not.  once you hit about $400 retail you're going to almost positively have a sintered base, save for a lot of mervin boards with their TNT base.. which is extruded technically, but does have some structure i think and it's sorta built with fluoro infused in the material.  i forget how exactly they put it.

years ago it was common to see sintered bases on the cheap boards (i remember a story regarding forum [the snowboard company] about this) but they stopped doing it cause it didn't make sense really, considering a person who buys a "beginner" or cheap, basic board is usually also someone that doesn't do a lot of work on their gear, thus giving them a base that they can just ride and not worry about.

waxing is not difficult.
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 5:50pm
waxing isn't difficult but if you are a lazy individual extruded requires less work from what lve been told. 
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 5:54pm
funny i heard the same thing about sintered costing more. it was during a maintenance class at REI but maybe the tech was referencing repair-wise. I also learned that if you leave the iron on your board in a single place for too long your base is pretty much toast regardless of what it was before.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 5:57pm
i know, i was just saying that the way he said it made it sound like a big deal, and also that an extruded base with easy all temp wax is fine... but that's what can be said about sintered, not extruded.  if you can spare the time/effort to wax, sintered is worth it, but if you are lazy and don't wanna do it then extruded is the way to go.  otherwise with no wax, you will literally not slide down the slope.  i had a fully dry base the day i rode a new (used) board and had no time to wax first.. basically couldn't move at all.  it honestly felt like sandpaper or something.  hotwaxed it and it happened to be one of the fastest boards i've ever owned (07 cambered malolo)
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by nautika96

funny i heard the same thing about sintered costing more. it was during a maintenance class at REI but maybe the tech was referencing repair-wise. I also learned that if you leave the iron on your board in a single place for too long your base is pretty much toast regardless of what it was before.

yep thats true cuz your causing the pores to shrivel up and wont hold the wax as good as before
Lachsta View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 6:29pm
For waxing my snowboard would i need to buy a special snowboard iron or can i use a normal iron?
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 6:31pm
ive witnessed that "stuck" feeling with a friends board. the snow pretty much froze on their base and they couldnt glide. I've had the same feeling when my brother was beating down slopes in his hero. next time out, I had a chance to wax and there wasnt even a contest. honestly the benefits of waxing are worth it for me. but extruded bases do have their benefits.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by kel

yep thats true cuz your causing the pores to shrivel up and wont hold the wax as good as before
just to be technical... again, there are no pores.  what happens is the iron basically burns the base and kills/melts the microscopic structure which is what the wax adheres to.
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Lachsta

For waxing my snowboard would i need to buy a special snowboard iron or can i use a normal iron?

you can get away with a normal iron, just try to use it on the lowest setting necessary to melt the wax. oh and dont use the iron on clothes afterwards.
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 7:05pm

you can get away with a normal iron, just try to use it on the lowest setting necessary to melt the wax. oh and dont use the iron on clothes afterwards.

+1 and remember to not put water into the feed mechinism. did that once, the base looked bubbly, literally
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by rye

+1 and remember to not put water into the feed mechinism. did that once, the base looked bubbly, literally

I've always heard that you want to have the iron hot enough that it leaves a 1-2 inch trail of melted wax (which really helps when you're spreading it around) but not so hot that the wax SMOKES when you melt it.  I've used those criteria for years to find the sweet spot with my $10 clothes iron and have been pretty happy with the results. 

Am I doing it right spenser?

-b
get bent
Lachsta View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 7:20pm
So would it be better to just buy a fairly cheap iron for waxing my board? I also read somewhere that you can put foil over the end of the iron so not to wreck it with wax.
tomek77pl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 7:23pm
I use a 7 dollar walmart iron and it works great!! but i might upgrade to a snowboarding iron if i find a good deal otherwise there is no point in wasting money, but thats just me :)
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 7:24pm
One more thing: 

remember when burton really tried to play up the difference between bases?  My 2003 se7en (with the best topsheet EVER) has extruded on the sides -- supposedly to be tougher on rails, bonks, jibs and whatnot, although I still haven't spent much time doing that -- and sintered in the middle to go faster

Or at least that's what I remember the visible difference to be.  But whatever:  Tell me that's not the best topsheet ever peeps

-b
get bent
ConDominantOne View Drop Down
Local
Local
Con

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 7:52pm
Don't be cheap... the last thing you want to do is damage a boards base... wax absorbtion will get all effed up, edges could tear the shit outta your iron... basically, get a waxing iron and do it professionally or watch a tech like myself do it and then you're set.

Bryman: That's the most ridiculous shit ever bro haha... Extruded bases surrounding sintered? haha bunch of bologna! And to think I ride Burtons crap!
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 7:55pm
wouldn't it make more sense for them to use extruded on the sides, as more gouges would be in those areas anyways from jibbing/rails=easyer to fix, and sintered in the center so you can change waxes for diff temp and speed, and durability as less gouges happen in the middle?

i dunno, most deep gouges i have ever had with boards happened on the edges..so when growning up and jibbing anything i could and being a jackass with my board it would of been easier/cheaper to fix and last longer. interesting idea, honestly, i do not ever remember seeing any mixed bases before.
Local
Local
Con

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 7:59pm
the extruded is on the sides....
gamelessx25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 8:03pm
^^ You're carving edge to edge, having sintered on the sides will give you more speed.   Ofcourse if you're a park rat, I'd stick with a extruded board, especially during the learning stages.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by spenser

a lot of that info is wrong, like that extruded is more durable. it's less dense and is more prone to impact damage. the plus side though is that if you DO get a gouge it's easier to fix than sintered.

also, extruded is not pressed together like it sounds like they're saying, the pellets are melted and the liquid state pellets are extruded through an opening into their shape. that's literally what extrusion is, like when you make spaghetti noodles or whatever.

it also makes it sound like an extruded base is always "much" slower than a waxed sintered base. this is simply not true. you can have very fast extruded bases, but sintered bases CAN be faster at times depending on the conditions, and you can also fine tune your waxing to the specific conditions to gain a slight edge, but it's not nearly as big of a difference as they make it seem.

for sintered, they don't just force the pellets together. they grind them up into a powder and then do it. that's literally what sintering means. they also use a more dense plastic, it's not just the same material as extruded.

there are also NO PORES IN SINTERED BASES. that is a metaphor for base structure. there are microscopic nooks, crannies, vallies, etc in the base, because of the way they're made and finished. that's what the wax adheres to, but it does not go INSIDE the base. that's also why a sintered base with NO wax is so painfully slow.. the structure basically grips the snow.

my general opinion is that if you have the time to take care of your base and prefer to fine tune and wax regularly, always go sintered. if you want to not care and just go ride, go extruded. i know a handful of guys who have been riding for 20+ years, old gnar dog shredders, who still prefer extruded cause they just want to go snowboard and not care so much.

Spenser, THANK YOU! This is the absolute most informative post I've ever read about bases. I had no idea how inaccurate all my other readings were.
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
Lachsta View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by fj5

Originally posted by spenser

a lot of that info is wrong, like that extruded is more durable. it's less dense and is more prone to impact damage. the plus side though is that if you DO get a gouge it's easier to fix than sintered.

also, extruded is not pressed together like it sounds like they're saying, the pellets are melted and the liquid state pellets are extruded through an opening into their shape. that's literally what extrusion is, like when you make spaghetti noodles or whatever.

it also makes it sound like an extruded base is always "much" slower than a waxed sintered base. this is simply not true. you can have very fast extruded bases, but sintered bases CAN be faster at times depending on the conditions, and you can also fine tune your waxing to the specific conditions to gain a slight edge, but it's not nearly as big of a difference as they make it seem.

for sintered, they don't just force the pellets together. they grind them up into a powder and then do it. that's literally what sintering means. they also use a more dense plastic, it's not just the same material as extruded.

there are also NO PORES IN SINTERED BASES. that is a metaphor for base structure. there are microscopic nooks, crannies, vallies, etc in the base, because of the way they're made and finished. that's what the wax adheres to, but it does not go INSIDE the base. that's also why a sintered base with NO wax is so painfully slow.. the structure basically grips the snow.

my general opinion is that if you have the time to take care of your base and prefer to fine tune and wax regularly, always go sintered. if you want to not care and just go ride, go extruded. i know a handful of guys who have been riding for 20+ years, old gnar dog shredders, who still prefer extruded cause they just want to go snowboard and not care so much.

Spenser, THANK YOU! This is the absolute most informative post I've ever read about bases. I had no idea how inaccurate all my other readings were.

I agree but its not only this post, i've found that all of spencers post are in depth and greatly helpful. Great work and thankyou Spencer.
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2011 at 11:04pm
One thing I have found not all bases are created equal. I use to think it was just a sintered or extruded that matter. The bases vary a lot as sintered or extruded. I have had sintered that need to be waxed every other time was best and others every 4-5 times was best.  
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2011 at 1:36am
Sintered snowboards are usually quicker and I find them easier to wax. The base is generally harder so they dont get as much damage.
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2011 at 12:19pm
Spenser, you pretty much summed it up in a nut shell.  Thanks for posting all that info.  I've read the thread that was posted in the second post of this thread.  Thanks for clearing all that up.  That thread is a little mis-leading, but thanks for stepping in and setting us straight.  4 of my boards are sintered and only 1 is extruded (Sierra Stunt)  Haven't ridden the stunt yet so can't really comment on the difference between the two, but I enjoy waxing my boards and tuning them so I'll stick with sintered when I can.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2011 at 4:22pm
I recommend sintered boards to most people.  I found extruded to just be too slow.  I had one in the past, and it just always seemed sluggish to me.  True, there are good extruded boards, but in general, they are slower than sintered boards.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2011 at 4:30pm
the only time i've had issues with slow extruded bases was on a super wet day on my charlie, it was getting gripped on the lower half of the mountain that was preeeeetty damn wet "pow."  i think if it were sintered and i waxed right i could have been better off but it took a pretty extreme and not very common condition for it to actually feel slow like that.  the rest of the time it was always as fast as anything else i rode.  that being said, i always go sintered if i can..
AndrewCoxx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2011 at 8:47am
thanks everyone for commenting, spenser that helped alot:) im planning on dinging it up a bit, so extruded is probably the way to go, but i just dont want it to fall apart on me, i want it to last through highschool
cucubing View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
ROME AGENT

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2011 at 8:58am
What's fusion base?
Is it a hybrid or something in between?
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2011 at 1:07pm
It also depends on what you're going to be doing with the board, and where you're taking it.  For example, Mt. Hood gets super-slushy a lot of the year, and a good wax will keep you from needing to skate down cat tracks.  On the other hand, if you're a jibmonster that's constantly hitting rails, the extruded might be better due to the greater ease of repair and lower overall replacement cost.

Spencer- What year is your CS?  I thought Capita switched to sintered for 2010; that's at least what they told me when I asked.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2011 at 9:17pm
that was my 2010 charlie.  2011 is when it got a sintered base.  a lot of the time the capita dudes refer to boards by the actual release year for some reason, which is technically the year before most of the actual winter happens.  so a 2010 means released fall of 2010 but it's a 2010/11 model, ie what everyone just calls 2011.
youngun92 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2011 at 1:37am
pretty much what spenser said. i do know that for jib/park board go with extruded, go speed go sintered. 
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2011 at 3:15am
I like sintered basis, they are usually faster, more scratch resistance and are easier to wax.
cucubing View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
ROME AGENT

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2011 at 3:21am
Originally posted by Shaz

I like sintered basis, they are usually faster, more scratch resistance and are easier to wax.

So does people usually have more than one boards?
Considering people are greedy and want more
Custom09 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2011 at 4:46am
I heard that extruded bases seem to make your graphic pop out more, if that even matters
Local
Local
Con

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2011 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Custom09

I heard that extruded bases seem to make your graphic pop out more, if that even matters

That's debatable... just the thickness and depth of the material determines visibility. i've owned boards that were extruded and the graphics practically sung to you. On the other hand i've had extudeds that looked like a cloud on top of the graphic. Same with sintered.
 Post Reply Post Reply