park board

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 4>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dalper2197 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dalper2197 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: park board
    Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 5:24am
how do you choose a park board?
dalper2197 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote dalper2197 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 5:24am
help please im new to this
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 6:26am
usually a softer flex is good for a park board, especially if you'll be jibbing.  some like reverse camber for park boards, it can be more forgiving, easier to press, and harder to catch an edge. 
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Instructing How to Douglas!!

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 6:29am
This guy really needs some help!!

We all need to post here to give Dalper some assistance.
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote skyfooze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 6:58am
You need a board with good flex and that is very soft and forgiving.
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 7:03am
softer= easier to jib. stiffer= better for bigger jumps to stick your landing
pheonix View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote pheonix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 7:05am
well its all preference, but usually people go for a soft reverse camber board. acouple good park boards are capita horrorscope, rome arftifact, burton hero, and k2 www
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bmorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 7:11am
Since you said you are new to this, I'm not sure how much you already know about snowboarding, but you've come to the right site to get helpful info. As panther already stated, most park specific boards have a softer flex. Depending on what you plan to do with the board, you can size down a little for a park board since you will most likely be throwing the board around either on rails, boxes, jibs or jumps. Park boards tend to be freestyle twins meaning the tip and tail are the same. There are a few different types of camber / reverse camber and two different types of bases (sintered and extruded). Use the search function at the top and I guarantee you'll find everything you need to know about what you're looking for. Welcome to the site.
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote SunFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 7:25am
There are a lot of videos on this site with a lot of information. Watch them all and you will know what gear you need, what size, and how to ride it once you get it.
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
RedLego View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote RedLego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 11:52am
I thought you were planning to get the crew, why are you looking into park boards already if your new?
theshizz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote theshizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 12:14pm
Find a board that has alot of flex. Rocker boards are great for the park. If you don't know what rocker is, it's just the shape of the board. It will give you lots of pop and are nice and buttery. Rockers aren't the best for jumps but they still work. Demo a few boards, it's the easiest way to find a good park board.
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Wilz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 12:57pm
usually more flex and shorter easier to manuvour around but not very stable at high speeds.. something like the k2 WWW... that's very flexible.. but it depends on preference as to how much flex you like.
krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote krisshono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 1:04pm
Soft and flexible for sure, reverse camber as well.
jstgermain View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jstgermain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2011 at 10:48am
Shorter, more flex, jib/all mountain rocker, twin shape
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2011 at 1:12pm
I must say I love all the statements of softer being better for the park. Since when does a boards flex and rocker design automatically make it better for doing a certain type of riding? It's all subjective, and varies from person to person. Me, I'm fine using stiffer decks any day in the park. In fact, I enjoy using stiff snowboards more than soft ones in the park.

Demo everything you can, and just decide based on what feels best, because if one type of snowboard was best for a style of riding, we all would be using that snowboard. Everyone's different, and has different preferences.
muddog257 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote muddog257 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2011 at 2:58pm
Look for a that fits your needs. If you want a flexy board or a still one. typically you want a flexy board for park.
Alkasquawlik View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Alkasquawlik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2011 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by JBburton 18

I must say I love all the statements of softer being better for the park. Since when does a boards flex and rocker design automatically make it better for doing a certain type of riding? It's all subjective, and varies from person to person. Me, I'm fine using stiffer decks any day in the park. In fact, I enjoy using stiff snowboards more than soft ones in the park.

Thank you for saying it, so I didn't have to.

I guess my ideal "park" board (Capita Midlife) doesn't work well in the park, according to everyone's suggestions.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2011 at 4:18pm
floppy boards cater to undeveloped skills, stiffer boards support developed skills.

*unless you're johnny lazz, LNP, scott stevens, etc.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2011 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Alkasquawlik

Thank you for saying it, so I didn't have to.

I guess my ideal "park" board (Capita Midlife) doesn't work well in the park, according to everyone's suggestions.

I hear ya I have a midlife and love it in the park and no everyone it is not a super soft board.

I think you can generalize to some extent and say if you are a beginner rider you probably do not want to take a stiff board into the park.  I think for beginners you are best off getting a mid flex board first and then go from there as you hone in your preferences.
allmt123 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote allmt123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2011 at 3:01am
ya a soft flexing board would be great and camber or reverse camber is usually preference. try the forum destroyer, its good for park and other places on the mt.
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2011 at 5:10am
1.depending on how much u wanna spend gonna determine ur brands
2. I would definitly go shorter on a park board
3. camber vs reverse camber? I would go reverse camber because more flex and harder presses
4. recommendations: burton hero, whammy bar, DC BDR, PBJ, Sierra Stunt, Reverse crew, Lib tech skate banana, Ride garage
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2011 at 4:43pm
Reverse camber doesn't make a board more flexable. It also doesn't make a board 'press.' It may seem more flexible but all it does is that it makes the board pre-positioned in a banana or v shape, or whatever you want to call it. Basically, since it is pre-positioned in that way, you don't always have to put 'so much' effort to put it in the press position. Also, if you cannot press on stiffer snowboards or cambered snowboards, you have a really long way to go. Guys like Nico Muller, Mark Landvik, and T.Rice all use fairly stiff set ups, and they can butter the shit out of a snowboard. Nico Muller in my mind is the best at it, and he used a T6 for years, and the T6 is very stiff.
Marnz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Me

Quote Marnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2011 at 10:16pm
I reackon a park board is all personal preference. I use a Rome Slash and Agent, the Slash being a wide version of the agent brought out in 2010. I use both on the park and theyre both an all mountain board. Im yet to try a park noodle sort of a board. Shop around and do plenty of demo-ing and question asking in shops
Keep on Shreddin
ErbStock View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ErbStock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2011 at 1:19pm
CAMBER dont listen to all these people telling you to get reverse camber! 
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Wilz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2011 at 2:16pm

i'm going to throw this out there and you guys can correct me if i'm wrong. but i think reverse camber is more catch free than camber boards.. but camber boards have more pop...

don't think it actually matters if its R camber or camber..

or if you can't decide.. just get a flatline..LOL
grunge View Drop Down
Local
Local
Thinkingman

Quote grunge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2011 at 1:08am
Go to shop have a look and see what they have under park boards.
Or ask the guy's opinions.

With more research, you'll eventually settle on something you like. 
Custom09 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Custom09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2011 at 12:36pm
Softer flex and a smaller size for more control
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2011 at 12:41pm
Flex and size have almost nothing to do with control. Control is all technique and based on the person who is riding the snowboard. I have seen hundreds of 'park rats' who just slide down the hill on smaller, noodle snowboards. And I can guarantee that I can control a snowboard better than them when I am using a 164.5 cm Jones Flagship, which is stiff as a sheet of steel. In the end, flex and size don't change how a rider controls the snowboard, it's all stoping/turning techniques, skid vs carve turning, rear leg steering vs proper steering, all that stuff.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2011 at 12:50pm

Flex and size have almost nothing to do with control. Control is all technique and based on the person who is riding the snowboard. I have seen hundreds of 'park rats' who just slide down the hill on smaller, noodle snowboards. And I can guarantee that I can control a snowboard better than them when I am using a 164.5 cm Jones Flagship, which is stiff as a sheet of steel. In the end, flex and size don't change how a rider controls the snowboard, it's all stoping/turning techniques, skid vs carve turning, rear leg steering vs proper steering, all that stuff.

what are you talking about it's 99% equipment and 1% rider...duh, I thought everyone knew this
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2011 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by hana24

what are you talking about it's 99% equipment and 1% rider...duh, I thought everyone knew this

This is crazy talk... I thought that there was one board that was best for each type of riding, since I see everyone using the same exact gear on the mountain.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2011 at 1:10pm

Originally posted by hana24

This is crazy talk... I thought that there was one board that was best for each type of riding, since I see everyone using the same exact gear on the mountain.

well yeah...why else would you get something different?  the board does all the turning for you and you don't have to do anything...

what is this techniques you speak of?
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2011 at 1:19pm
I think its a german word for a whale's... you know
allmt123 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote allmt123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2011 at 8:14am
i think a reverse camber soft shorter board will be good(try the reverse crew im getting it soon.
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2011 at 9:02am
Originally posted by allmt123

i think a reverse camber soft shorter board will be good(try the reverse crew im getting it soon.

That's right... Everyone get a reverse crew for the park because he is getting his.
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2011 at 9:16am
no way, i'm getting smokin buck furton instead. much better board :D
hmmm... Now What???   
thesupaflies View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thesupaflies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2011 at 8:35am
you are going to want to look for a twin tip board so you can ride it both ways if you ever land switch. if you will be jibbing on rails you want a softer flex board like a 2 or 3 so you can press and butter and things like that. if you are going to be hitting the kickers you will want a stiffer board like a 6 or 7 depending on how big the kickers are. if you like jumping and jibbing and you arent hitting too big of jumps, go for something in between like a 4 or 5. that way you will still be able to press and butter but it wont be so soft that it just snaps landing a jump. i have a park board with a flex of 4 and it is a great all around board for the park. hope this helps
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2011 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by thesupaflies

you are going to want to look for a twin tip board so you can ride it both ways if you ever land switch. if you will be jibbing on rails you want a softer flex board like a 2 or 3 so you can press and butter and things like that. if you are going to be hitting the kickers you will want a stiffer board like a 6 or 7 depending on how big the kickers are. if you like jumping and jibbing and you arent hitting too big of jumps, go for something in between like a 4 or 5. that way you will still be able to press and butter but it wont be so soft that it just snaps landing a jump. i have a park board with a flex of 4 and it is a great all around board for the park. hope this helps

first of all, why would you need twin for park riding? what makes a board that has flex 2-3 the best option for jibs? on the contrary, what makes a board flexed 6-7 best for big jumps? how big are the jumps you are talking about? are you saying that a jump over 30 feet i cannot hit unless i am using a stiff deck? are you saying that when jumps get to 100+ feet, you will need a sheet of steel to be able to clear? also, why can't i do jibs with a stiffer snowboard?

i have used directional boards everywhere on the mountain, both switch and regular, my whole life. also, i have done several jibs, presses, and butters with my t.rice and the custom x i used to have. hell, pow buttering is a piece of cake with both for me. if you want to watch a guy that basically nullifies your jib theory, watch nicolas muller butter the shit out of a t6 (flex 8).

with jumps, it doesn't really matter how stiff the snowboard is, it all comes down to the rider. the only option for this guy is to demo endless boards in the park and who knows, he may (although unlikely) find that a fish is the best option for him.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2011 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by bataleon155

no way, i'm getting smokin buck furton instead. much better board :D

buck ferton rules.  Now available in sizes from 147 to 158!
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
woohoo123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woohoo123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2011 at 12:21pm
id just go little shorter and softer

if all else fails, just pick the best looking one and youll look awesome owning yourself
WOOHOO
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote SunFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2011 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by woohoo123

if all else fails, just pick the best looking one and youll look awesome owning yourself
Yeah, that's what I did on a first board, picked one I liked the looks of on ebay, brand new, got one that was way too stiff to flex and way too long to control.
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2011 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by SunFish

Originally posted by woohoo123

Yeah, that's what I did on a first board, picked one I liked the looks of on ebay, brand new, got one that was way too stiff to flex and way too long to control.

Gotta love some of the "advice" that goes on these threads. I think that if you have no idea what you are talking about there is no need to bust in with complete nonsense. If all else fails and you can't find a board that works for you in the park (or any terrain for that matter), learn how to snowboard, or just don't do it. I could use any board I owned in the past pretty much wherever I took it. I have taken a fish into the park, taken my burton punch in the pow, and have done jibs with a jones flagship. Theres gotta be something that works.
grunge View Drop Down
Local
Local
Thinkingman

Quote grunge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2011 at 6:12pm

Gotta love some of the "advice" that goes on these threads. I think that if you have no idea what you are talking about there is no need to bust in with complete nonsense. If all else fails and you can't find a board that works for you in the park (or any terrain for that matter), learn how to snowboard, or just don't do it. I could use any board I owned in the past pretty much wherever I took it. I have taken a fish into the park, taken my burton punch in the pow, and have done jibs with a jones flagship. Theres gotta be something that works.

You're WRONG. 
It's all about the more choice, the more choice there is the better someone will get at their specialized area. That's what it's all about, that's what everyone in marketing is selling. 
Clearly they're right.
So never use a powder board for park. I say bull you can't do it... 
It's not about user skill, it's about the right board for the right person.

BTW I was being sarcastic. 
;) 
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2011 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by grunge

You're WRONG. 
It's all about the more choice, the more choice there is the better someone will get at their specialized area. That's what it's all about, that's what everyone in marketing is selling. 
Clearly they're right.
So never use a powder board for park. I say bull you can't do it... 
It's not about user skill, it's about the right board for the right person.
;) 

What??? Its not about skill??? shit, guess that means when i buy a jones split i will be able to hike those 7000 foot tall peaks and just ride down then. better come up with a few thousand dollars. /s

EDIT: fixed
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2011 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by grunge

;) 

Which part of this line did you not understand?

if you adding to his sarcasm you forgot to put the  /s 

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
DrUnKChIcKeN View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote DrUnKChIcKeN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2011 at 11:46am
JB i totally agree with you that skilled riders should be able to ride any board in any condition. However, i also do believe that certain boards do assist with certain types of riding, especially when starting out as a new rider, dalper may want something thats more forgiving and will allow him to grow as a rider instead of something that will get him frustrated. In the end its all about having fun, right? Disapprove
Grinch View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2011 at 7:29am
You need to find a board that is pretty forgiving with a softer flex. I don't like to ride to soft of a flex though. Certain boards are made strictly for park riding. If you read some of the reviews here on this site it well help teach you what are some good park boards.
Mortoni View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Mortoni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2011 at 7:41am
As everyone has been saying, probably a softer flex, reverse camber board is what I would reccommend. The soft flex will be good for jibbing and just playing around doing presses and butters and the reverse camber will make it a bit more forgiving on jumps and harder to catch an edge which will definitely be easier on a beginning park rider. I would reccommend the Capita Indoor Survival FK for you here because, although the Horrorscope FK is a great park board as well, the Indoor Survival FK will hold up better on jumps due to the fact that it's slightly stiffer while still be soft enough to make jibbing fun. That's just my choice for you though.
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2011 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Mortoni

As everyone has been saying, probably a softer flex, reverse camber board is what I would reccommend. The soft flex will be good for jibbing and just playing around doing presses and butters and the reverse camber will make it a bit more forgiving on jumps and harder to catch an edge which will definitely be easier on a beginning park rider. I would reccommend the Capita Indoor Survival FK for you here because, although the Horrorscope FK is a great park board as well, the Indoor Survival FK will hold up better on jumps due to the fact that it's slightly stiffer while still be soft enough to make jibbing fun. That's just my choice for you though.

I happen to have a never-used Sierra Reverse Crew 155 for sale if interested.  PM me if you want an awesome deal.
GnarShredder420 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote GnarShredder420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2011 at 12:32pm
Its easy as shit bro

Step 1) Google search for "Never Summer Revolver"
Step 2) Buy it
Step 3) Shred Gnar like a champ
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2011 at 12:34pm
I heard K2 and Burton Hero are nice boards
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>