park board

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
freddie_joe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote freddie_joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: park board
    Posted: Aug/07/2011 at 10:24pm
sorry to cut in on this guys thread but i have a quick question.
im lookin at gnu street series for a jib board.
currently have ns sl 155 but its a bit too stiff for me.
im just unsure about if i shld get a 154 or 152, i saw on king of jib they said u cld downsize on this board quite easily and i was thinking 152 because im size 9 boot and the street series is mid wide.
oh im also 5'11 and 170lbs.
thanks
CriminalRabbit View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
LOVED IT!

Quote CriminalRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2011 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by freddie_joe

im just unsure about if i shld get a 154 or 152, i saw on king of jib they said u cld downsize on this board quite easily and i was thinking 152 because im size 9 boot and the street series is mid wide.
thanks

I would recommend you to get the 152 board, 155 is not that much different from 154, and if 155 is a bit too stiff for you, you probably should downsize a bit too. You can have more control with shorter board, so I say get 152.
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2011 at 2:24am
L would say 152 so that it's a bit more playful and easier To manuver. Just dont make a "split board" and you'll be fine
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2011 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by CriminalRabbit

thanks

I would recommend you to get the 152 board, 155 is not that much different from 154, and if 155 is a bit too stiff for you, you probably should downsize a bit too. You can have more control with shorter board, so I say get 152.

Huh?  You do realize he is talking about two different boards right?  If the NS 155 feels to stiff, why should he size down with the different board?  I forgot that the Never Summer SL 155 and the Gnu SS 154 were the same exact board with the same exact overall feel.  If the 155 feels comfortable in length, don't change it, whereas if you feel it is too big, maybe you should size down.  I would go to a demo, and try several snowboards including the Gnu at the 154 and 152, just to get a feel for both.  You may find that there is something else you like over the Gnu.
goofy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote goofy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2011 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by JBburton 18

thanks

Huh?  You do realize he is talking about two different boards right?  If the NS 155 feels to stiff, why should he size down with the different board?  I forgot that the Never Summer SL 155 and the Gnu SS 154 were the same exact board with the same exact overall feel.  If the 155 feels comfortable in length, don't change it, whereas if you feel it is too big, maybe you should size down.  I would go to a demo, and try several snowboards including the Gnu at the 154 and 152, just to get a feel for both.  You may find that there is something else you like over the Gnu.

i think what he was trying to say is that the 155 is too stiff because he can't manuever it because it is a little too big.  If he gets a new board then he could have the same problem if its the same size.  if you downsize then the board becomes easier to flex and control.  i understand that downsizing may not make a difference if you get a different board but a shorter size could just be all around better for the new board.  i suggest the 152
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2011 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by goofy

thanks

i think what he was trying to say is that the 155 is too stiff because he can't manuever it because it is a little too big.  If he gets a new board then he could have the same problem if its the same size.  if you downsize then the board becomes easier to flex and control.  i understand that downsizing may not make a difference if you get a different board but a shorter size could just be all around better for the new board.  i suggest the 152

He is talking about 2 DIFFERENT boards.  He said nothing about the SL being too big, only about the flex.  So if the length doesn't bother him, stay with something that has a similar size.  Also, a lot of factors affect maneuverability besides flex and length.  Sidecut, effective edge, board shape, width at the different sections, distance between the contact points, camber patterns, edge patterns (MTX, mellow MTX, PDE, etc...) and so on.  I would say the biggest factor of maneuverability is the sidecut.  For example, if I have two boards of the same flex and length, but one has a 7.5 sidecut and the other has a 9.5 sidecut, the maneuverability of the snowboards will differ greatly.  Some people may feel more comfortable with larger arcing turns, whereas others like doing quick turns on a dime.  A sidecut will affect all of that, whereas length and flex do as well, but not nearly to the same degree IMO.

In my own experience, I have owned both a supermodel X 164 and a Flagship 164.  The Flagship is stiffer, but they both have similar flex.  The Supermodel X had a sidecut around 8.3 whereas the flagship is a 9.3, and because of this, they felt completely different on snow.  The flagship wanted me to go straight down the hill most of the time, whereas the Supermodel X was definately less energy consuming to make quick turns. 
Alkasquawlik View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Alkasquawlik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2011 at 1:26pm
^^^^^

You're looking way too much into it.

The dude wants a jib board anyway, so size down to the 152.
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2011 at 9:32am
Couple questions since this thread started:
1. Why is it stickied?
2. OP hasn't responded.

Has this just become a discussion on what's the definition of a park board?
Did you google it?
freddie_joe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote freddie_joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2011 at 12:20pm
yea i was thinkin that coz of my shoes size and the width of the 154 is pretty wide,
but u reckon my weight will be ok for the 152?
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2011 at 12:40pm
The Sierra Reverse Crew is a major hot one for a park board.  Typically, folks say to shoot a little shorter for a newer rider.
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote wpiass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2011 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by carebear

The Sierra Reverse Crew is a major hot one for a park board.  Typically, folks say to shoot a little shorter for a newer rider.

i just won one from last week's giveaway!!!  i couldn't believe it...after all these years.  Big smile
be talkin to ya
thesupaflies View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thesupaflies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2011 at 12:23pm
a lot of people use shorter boards for the park. if you will be jibbing go for a board with a flex around a 2 or 3. if you will be doing jumps go for a 6 or 7 which will be stiffer for those landings so the board doesnt snap. if you are like me and do a little bit of both get a board with a 4 or 5 flex. this way you will still be able to press and butter because the board will be soft enough, but it will still be stiff enough to land the jumps. as long as you arent going off kickers 40ft+ a 4 or 5 would be fine. if you will be riding the rest of the mountain too i would look into hybrid camber boards. the camber underneath the bindings is supposed to help you with edge controll and pop, while the rest of the board is rockered for that playful feel in rocker boards.
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2011 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by thesupaflies

a lot of people use shorter boards for the park. if you will be jibbing go for a board with a flex around a 2 or 3. if you will be doing jumps go for a 6 or 7 which will be stiffer for those landings so the board doesnt snap. if you are like me and do a little bit of both get a board with a 4 or 5 flex. this way you will still be able to press and butter because the board will be soft enough, but it will still be stiff enough to land the jumps. as long as you arent going off kickers 40ft+ a 4 or 5 would be fine. if you will be riding the rest of the mountain too i would look into hybrid camber boards. the camber underneath the bindings is supposed to help you with edge controll and pop, while the rest of the board is rockered for that playful feel in rocker boards.

Some people out there, I being one of them, find no problem buttering and pressing on stiff/"7 flex" snowboards.  If you can't butter on a semi stiff snowboard, you have a long way to go.  I found that with the Custom X and T.Rice, it was very easy to do jibs, presses, and especially pow butters.  It was just as easy to do those things on those boards as it was on the X8.  On the other hand, I had no problem going off of 30-40 footers with an X8 when I still had it, which is a flex of 3 (according to Burton of course).  You should watch Blair do the gnarly terrain he does with a skate banana, then watch Nicolas Muller butter the shit out of a T6.  Might change your perspective on board flex and usability in various terrain/features.

To the guy who said the NS SL was too stiff, I believe that is a mid flex, around 5ish if I am not mistaken.  If that is the case, try something with a flex of a 3 or 4 and see how that feels.
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2011 at 1:37pm
^ for the most part up to 6 l have no problem flexing and l guess the flex amount decrease as the stiffness increase but either way if you practice enough you'll find your balance and should be still able to do it
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2011 at 1:48pm
Flex only makes it take more effort to press it to extreme points.  For me, I butter more of a way where it's not a lean back and pull up like crazy with the front foot, its more of a distribute the weight more towards the pressing end of the snowboard and then raise the other foot slightly, most likely due to the weight distribution.  I believe that a proper press technique doesn't involve leaning back all the way and yanking the board up with the front foot.  It takes no effort to do it with weight distribution on the pressing foot, and can be especially fun in the pow, just because the board can dip like crazy.

Think of it this way; its called a press, not a lift.  You aren't lifting the board.
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Wilz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2011 at 2:11pm

ahh make it easier... go demo it! LOL

BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2011 at 10:19am

Flex only makes it take more effort to press it to extreme points.  For me, I butter more of a way where it's not a lean back and pull up like crazy with the front foot, its more of a distribute the weight more towards the pressing end of the snowboard and then raise the other foot slightly, most likely due to the weight distribution.  I believe that a proper press technique doesn't involve leaning back all the way and yanking the board up with the front foot.  It takes no effort to do it with weight distribution on the pressing foot, and can be especially fun in the pow, just because the board can dip like crazy.

Think of it this way; its called a press, not a lift.  You aren't lifting the board.

very well put my man.  i totally agree. i see too many people yanking their front foot up when learning to press.

and on the subject of flex rating.  its 90% rider.  heck when i first got into park i was riding a horrorscope (flex 3) AND it was also rocker and i still couldnt do presses.  then when i finally figured out about weight distribution, everything became easier.  i can press and butter on my ultrafear (flex 6) now.
dance like no one's watching
alphaod View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote alphaod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2011 at 11:45am
I think whatever makes you feel comfortable hitting features is a good park board. For example, I picked up a Burton Love last year and I love it. And I can go fast on it.
-= alphaod =-
Current setups~
US: 12 Burton Vapor 159, 12 Burton Fishcuit 150, 12 Burton Diode EST
China: 13 Burton Custom X 158, 14 Cloudsplitter 158.3, 14 Burton Genesis EST
alphaod View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote alphaod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2011 at 12:46pm
<Sorry double post> 
-= alphaod =-
Current setups~
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2011 at 1:34pm
how do u like the diode est alpha?
Eatmysnow80 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Eatmysnow80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2011 at 1:49pm
Ask Hellen Keller
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2011 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Eatmysnow80

Ask Hellen Keller

If you read this closely, it translates to "I just wanted to get one of my free points for the day."
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2011 at 6:06pm

Originally posted by Eatmysnow80

Ask Hellen Keller

If you read this closely, it translates to "I just wanted to get one of my free points for the day."

hahaha, ure probably right.  oh these kids.  on another note, i cant get my frontside boardslides down. my board doesnt go 90 degree with the box when sliding.  only like 75.  any tips?
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 8:43pm
soft flexing board with twin shape and flex. usually downsize a few cm from your reg. recommended size for your weight. camber or reverse camber is your perference.  
it also depends if you want it for big features or more for jibs and butters.

^freddie_joe
get a 152. you'll be fine and it'll be more playfull.
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2011 at 2:04pm
Everyone should just read this...

http://www.trusnow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40125

I also find it sad that this topic is stickied right above the sticky for Ippy's guide...

Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2011 at 4:37pm
^^^ Regardless of what the guides say, it really is only generalizing with what is "recommended" for use somewhere.  For example, I ride only boards that I would put at 7+ on the 10 level flex scale.  It works for me, and I don't need a different board for everything.  I mainly get boards not for riding different terrain, but just to have fun on something that has a different feel everytime I use it.  I have a T.Rice and a Flagship, both of which feel ENTIRELY different.  I mainly use them for fun, and will switch between the two based on how I want to ride, not where.  Sure they have their benefits in certain areas to my preferences, but I can still have fun riding on both anywhere I ride.
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 2:47am
JBBurton:  That is exactly how I feel about the Capita Mid-Life.....not the softest board on the market yet it's a do all, be all type of board for me.  Certainly can bomb yet subtle enough for the park.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 6:37am
This is a clusterfucked thread of people's "opinions", and JBBurton is right there in the middle giving his "opinion" like it is the gospel. I think everyone understands that once you have experience board selection for various terrain comes down to preference...
The OP asked for advice on what HE should look for, not what type you think he should get because YOU ride it. If he really needs to come on and ask a vague question like this then chances are this guy is a newer rider and may not know what works for him. In that case, softer is always going to be a little "better" than stiffer.

Bottom line to this thread: Park boards (which the OP asked for) are GENERALLY going to have a  softer flex, both lengthwise and torsionally, and be twin or "twin-like" shape.
Soft boards "lock" into rails better (fact) because the can flex around the feature more, in essence "locking" the board into a position for the slide.
Softer boards are more forgiving due to the ability to manipulate the board in order to "save it". So why tell this guy, who obviously has no clue in the park" to go buy a stiffer board? That is doing nothing but setting him up for even harder slams. Maybe once he gets a grasp on what he is doing and what he prefers then he can go on and try something stiffer if he feels he needs it.

I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 10:17am
I guess I made a mistake all those years ago by randomly picking up a custom x out of nowhere...  Gave it a try, and improved my technique a ton on it...  I could have settled like a bunch of other people I see on the hill with something forgiving that I could just slide and skid all over the place with...  Getting the more unforgiving option is what made me better, and forced me to improve my technique, yet I guess I did it all wrong...

Oh and if you read up a bit, he did say the NS SL was too stiff so I did say look for something softer flexing...  The other opinions on stiff boards came in reply to other comments throughout...  read the entire thread before making assumptions...

Originally posted by STRICK-9

JBBurton:  That is exactly how I feel about the Capita Mid-Life.....not the softest board on the market yet it's a do all, be all type of board for me.  Certainly can bomb yet subtle enough for the park.

pretty much my point exactly... for you something with the mid-life's feel does it, whereas for me, something with a flex of 7 or 8 does the trick...
alphaod View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote alphaod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2011 at 8:45pm
OP, I realized I didn't really answer you question with my previous reply…

I picked up a Love because it was advertised as softer type camber board; I enjoy camber boards, so that was why I pick the shape; the graphics I was happy with and it worked with bindings I had, so as an over combination I felt good about it.

Originally posted by BboyTommy

how do u like the diode est alpha?

I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet; it's mounted and ready to go; just waiting for snow.

Now if you want my first impressions before having tried it: High back is stiff as hell—it took a lot effort to twist the highback to adjust it the angle I wanted (I use 21º in the front); base plate looks pretty solid and it's stiff; the "Hinge" tech I could see useful, but can't really comment on it; footbeds are thin and cushioned, not to mention the bed is very simple in construction [which is good in my opinion]; ratchets and ladders are excellent Burton quality as always; straps are pretty confortable, but I only tried them a few minutes—I think pairing them with good boots will probably make more of a difference in terms of comfort; the highback padding is the only part I can forsee a problem with—the foam padding is glued onto the carbon highback so i see with a lot of movement and use it will cause the glue to separate (I had this problem with last year's C60 EST, where the footbed separated 4 times in one season; the last time Burton told me not to send it back to them anymore and instead promised to send me new bindings this year—which they kind of did make do on by sending me a gift card of equivalent value, which I spent on the Vapor)

I guess I made a mistake all those years ago by randomly picking up a custom x out of nowhere...  Gave it a try, and improved my technique a ton on it...  I could have settled like a bunch of other people I see on the hill with something forgiving that I could just slide and skid all over the place with...  Getting the more unforgiving option is what made me better, and forced me to improve my technique, yet I guess I did it all wrong...

I made the same mistake you did; I got the Custom X the first time I snowboarded (yes I bought the board). It was really unforgiving, but did force me to improve my techinique. This is definitely the wrong way to go.
-= alphaod =-
Current setups~
Squints View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Leggo

Quote Squints Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2011 at 12:53pm
GO WITH THE CAPITA HORRORSCOPE. BEST WOOD BOARD FK. IT HAS A 3 FROM THE 1 TO 10 SCALE. 10 BEING STIFF. IT'S PERFECT FOR JIBBING AND YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED. THE OTHER THING IS. YOU NEED TO HAVE THE RIGHT BINDINGS AND BOOTS TO MAKE IT A COMPLETE LEGIT SET UP FOR THE PARK. I WOULD RECOMMEND THE UNION CONTACT BINDINGS. I HAVE THE DC PARK BOOTS TO GO WITH. NOT ONLY IS THE BOARD A LEGIT SET UP ITS COST EFFICIENT COMPARED TO THE OTHER BOARDS. GO WITH THE 2011 SERIES. LOOKS BETTER AND ALSO YOU CAN FIND A BETTER DEAL WITH IT. THE 2012 AND 2011 BOARDS ARE PRETTY MUCH IDENTICAL. YOU CAN FIND THAT BOARD FOR AROUND 290 NEW (2011) AND THE UNION CONTACT BINDINGS FOR AROUND 180 NEW (GO ON TO THEIR WEBSITE AND YOU CAN GET THEM FOR AROUND 100 BUCKS:USED) IF YOU WANT TO OCCASIONALLY GO TO THE TREES AFTER SHREDDING THE PARK FOR A LITTLE BREAK THE REVERSE CAMBER IS PERFECT FOR THE POWDER AND POPS UP AND SAVING YOUR BACK LEG FROM THE BURNING. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PURCHASES. BEST BET WOULD GO TO A LOCAL SHOP AND RENT OUT THE DEMO BOARDS TO GET A FEEL FOR WHAT YOU LIKE BEST. ONCE YOU FIND IT.. BUY IT. SO YOU DONT KEEP SETTING YOURSELF BACK BY NOT GETTING THE FEEL FOR YOUR OWN BOARD.
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2011 at 1:26pm
My husband just got a 155 Sierra Reverse Crew with Burton P1.1 bindings for this exact purpose.  Hasn't used yet, but I know he's pretty excited.
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2011 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by carebear

My husband just got a 155 Sierra Reverse Crew with Burton P1.1 bindings for this exact purpose. Hasn't used yet, but I know he's pretty excited.
It doesn't matter what anyone else uses, everybody is different.  Sure the Reverse Crew can be a very solid choice for all sorts of riders, but there are so many more options.  Bindings are preference, so it depends on whether someone is looking for something stiff and responsive, or something flexible.  Just think of it this way.  If there was one right answer, then everybody would be using the same exact gear.
Originally posted by Squints

GO WITH THE CAPITA HORRORSCOPE. BEST WOOD BOARD FK. IT HAS A 3 FROM THE 1 TO 10 SCALE. 10 BEING STIFF. IT'S PERFECT FOR JIBBING AND YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED. THE OTHER THING IS. YOU NEED TO HAVE THE RIGHT BINDINGS AND BOOTS TO MAKE IT A COMPLETE LEGIT SET UP FOR THE PARK. I WOULD RECOMMEND THE UNION CONTACT BINDINGS. I HAVE THE DC PARK BOOTS TO GO WITH. NOT ONLY IS THE BOARD A LEGIT SET UP ITS COST EFFICIENT COMPARED TO THE OTHER BOARDS. GO WITH THE 2011 SERIES. LOOKS BETTER AND ALSO YOU CAN FIND A BETTER DEAL WITH IT. THE 2012 AND 2011 BOARDS ARE PRETTY MUCH IDENTICAL. YOU CAN FIND THAT BOARD FOR AROUND 290 NEW (2011) AND THE UNION CONTACT BINDINGS FOR AROUND 180 NEW (GO ON TO THEIR WEBSITE AND YOU CAN GET THEM FOR AROUND 100 BUCKS:USED) IF YOU WANT TO OCCASIONALLY GO TO THE TREES AFTER SHREDDING THE PARK FOR A LITTLE BREAK THE REVERSE CAMBER IS PERFECT FOR THE POWDER AND POPS UP AND SAVING YOUR BACK LEG FROM THE BURNING. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PURCHASES. BEST BET WOULD GO TO A LOCAL SHOP AND RENT OUT THE DEMO BOARDS TO GET A FEEL FOR WHAT YOU LIKE BEST. ONCE YOU FIND IT.. BUY IT. SO YOU DONT KEEP SETTING YOURSELF BACK BY NOT GETTING THE FEEL FOR YOUR OWN BOARD.

First of all, a park board comes down to preference, as does any piece of gear no matter where you are riding.  Also, park riding ranges from jibs to huge kickers and other random features, so when looking for a park specific snowboard, you shouldn't be looking for something that only satisfies your jibbing preferences.  On top of that, bindings are not terrain specific, and niether are boots.  For example, I use a Burton C60 (Flex 9, so pretty eff'n stiff) for everything I do.  Whether it is a couple laps in the park, cruising around, working on technique, or just one of those balls out hit the gnarliest shit possible days.  As for boots, a "park boot" is one of the most rediculous concepts I have ever heard in my life.  I mean really, just because a boot says park boot doesn't make it the best option for the park.  Otherwise, EVERYBODY would be using the same exact stuff.  For the last time, boots come down to fit and feel.  I want extra ankle support, so I look for a mid-stiff to very stiff boot when buying boots.  I also try to find something that fits my foot the way I want, and don't just buy something that advertises itself for a certain terrain.

Sure there can be general trends of people liking softer gear for park and stiffer gear for big mountain riding, but there are those who are on the other end of the spectrum.  Gigi if I'm not mistaken was ripping it in the backcountry on an Uninc.  Blair can just destroy the backcountry on his skate banana.  And I have seen several winning slopestyle runs by people using things like the custom x, which is pretty damn stiff.

As for the all caps, ask yourself.  Was it really necessary?
smowboarder84 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote smowboarder84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2011 at 9:30am
i always look for cheaper boards with a good brand that have good flex
ra_redsox View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote ra_redsox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2011 at 9:40am
Park boards are generally shorter, wider, have good flex, are twin shaped, and a lot of times are reverse camber (or rocker).
jibtastic66 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jibtastic66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2011 at 2:47pm

I hit every feature in the park so when im looking for a board i look for something in the 4 flex range typically a camber board. i look for something like this because its stiff enough for jumps yet soft enough for jibs!

jibtastic66 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jibtastic66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2011 at 2:47pm

I hit every feature in the park so when im looking for a board i look for something in the 4 flex range typically a camber board. i look for something like this because its stiff enough for jumps yet soft enough for jibs!

jdoggbrahh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jdoggbrahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2011 at 3:53pm
can someone give me some insight on the 2012 skate banana btx? please message me, thinking of buying one!!
caroeder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote caroeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2011 at 7:00pm
Park Boards have softer flex with reverse camber for jibbing a stiffer flex for bigger jumps
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 9:05am
Originally posted by caroeder

Park Boards have softer flex with reverse camber for jibbing a stiffer flex for bigger jumps

Someone makes this generalization again. So I guess if I want to jib, I can only do it well with a softer reverse camber deck, but as soon as I add kickers to the mix, the soft reverse camber board doesn't work (and vise versa). Maybe some people prefer to use a fish or banana hammock when jibbing (although the latter may be near impossible simply due to the sidecut). It DOESN'T matter. A lot of people like me will use a stiff set up no matter where they go because it works. Then there are those on the other end of the spectrum, who will use soft. Think of it this way. If there was a best option, EVERYONE would be using it.
dizzy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2011 at 11:20am
Is Sierra Stunt a good park board?
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2011 at 11:24am
Originally posted by dizzy

Is Sierra Stunt a good park board?

i've got a 153w stunt thats still new in the box if you are interested... shoot me a pm and we can discuss
MOAR powderz plz!
dizzy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2011 at 1:18pm
I have exactly this board..im courious if i made the right decision with this board..thanks
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Wilz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2011 at 1:33pm
well if you've already got the board... just use it and you will see...
caroeder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote caroeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2011 at 8:27pm
Park Board? What is the best park board? I have used tons of boards in the park. The best park board is the one you feel most comfortable in the park with. Everyone is different, you are in control not the board. Companies tag their models with "park board" so they can target unexperienced riders who see this and think that a board can magically make them talented. Demo boards and find your board! Its not the board, its the rider. Best of luck
ABrad25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Play hard or look good

Quote ABrad25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2011 at 9:02pm
Generally park boards are shorter but like said above its what you feel most comfortable with. I ride a smaller board but i dont ride park and i just hit trails
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2011 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by caroeder

Park Board? What is the best park board? I have used tons of boards in the park. The best park board is the one you feel most comfortable in the park with. Everyone is different, you are in control not the board. Companies tag their models with "park board" so they can target unexperienced riders who see this and think that a board can magically make them talented. Demo boards and find your board! Its not the board, its the rider. Best of luck

Absolutely correct.  I personally use two snowboards.  A Lib Tech T.Rice 161 and a Jones Flagship 164, both of which I will take into the park.  Now, if you use the basic assumptions that people make about park boards, I am way off.  I size up a bit on the T.Rice, and size up to the extreme on the Flagship.  Both are stiff, the T.Rice at a 7, the Flag at what I would guess an 8.5-9.  And, the Flag is directional tapered.  Interesting huh.  Yet I enjoy taking laps in the park with both and isn't that what matters most?  If you ask whether or not I would enjoy a softer snowboard more, I would say no.  My preferences are based toward a bigger snowboard that has a flex rating of around 7-8.  Remember too that as stated above, the rider is in control, not the board.  If the board is in control, then your technique is f*cked, and you are likely going to take several nasty spills.  Everyone is different, and everyone has different preferences.  Period.
cyberace View Drop Down
Local
Local
yep

Quote cyberace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2011 at 6:52am
park board is Custom or custom x
i used this boards more 5 years
i have one more thing...
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2011 at 7:23am
Custom can be used in park. Custom X is not a park board. It's a freestyle stiff deck.
carlosjj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Bam!

Quote carlosjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2011 at 11:56pm
A stiffer board would also be great for high speed runs not really a park thing.

I recently got the Never summer proto ct but I have noooooo clue how I will do with it since is my first preformance rocker board and is more of an all mountain board.

when getting a board you always have to some what compromise a little either really flexible for tricks and parks but not so good for all mountain speed runs or stiff for the icy, fast, all mountain but no so good for the park.

I would say try, rent different boards until you find one that matches your own style and that feels right. Look for demos in your area and go from there.

-CJJ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>