Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Site for rider progression... Comments-
    Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 1:01pm
Hey all,

My friend and I are planning on starting a snowboarding site and wanted to see if it would generate any interest among riders. Basically, we started to realize that there are very few sites out there that actually give you useful tips on how to do different tricks. The best tutorials out there were the sierra videos, but even then, it felt like the help that they provided was marginal at best, and it all came down to practice.

But over the last season, we started hitting up the park for the first time. We started dropping our first 3's, and realized that for every trick, there's always that point where it just clicks - and there's always some way you're twisting differently, or some way you're moving differently that helps you get over that learning hurdle that's in the way. For example, when I first started doing frontside 3's, a huge moment in my understanding was realizing that you have to look backwards to spot your landing because your head won't have time to whip around.

In any case, we realize that there are already a lot of resources out there - e.g. Snowboard Addiction (which is, in fact, pretty phenomenal), transworld DVD's, etc, but as riders just starting out, it felt like the instructors had long since passed the point where they remembered what it actually felt like to learn the trick.

So yeah - we're basically planning on starting a site in a few weeks to kind of cover this kind of ground. To teach people how to learn tricks as WE learn them to give a really in-depth step by step instructional resource for bored riders on the internet (no pun intended).

We're also planning on devoting parts of the site to really understanding new board tech's, and learning how to do some DIY things - e.g. more comprehensive waxing guides, detuning guides, building summer snowboarding setups, etc.

Anyways, it's at http://jib.by, if you guys want to check it out (there's nothing there yet, so just leave a comment if you're interested so we know). Or give us feedback on the layout, or whatever would be awesome. Thanks TruSnow

scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 1:32pm
honest opinion

I think its great that u guys wanna try throwing everything together as far as tricks, maintence and gear but bottom line is if theres anything i ever wanna know i hit up youtube. so unless u guys have youtube vids up with 100K hits your probably not going to see a lot of visits. but if ur stuff is that good put it on youtube with a like to ur site is the best thing i could tell u to do.

so to bring u down im just being blunt
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 1:38pm
l personally, will take a look at it, but depending on how the production and cost (if any) would be taking into consideration if l view more. like snowboardingprofessor isn't a big time site, but have great videos, l always take a look at them. but if your production is going to be like the expert village, l wouln'dt view it again 
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 2:09pm
Thanks scuddera - yeah we're definitely planning on using youtube/vimeo as ways to attract more readers. I always just refer to youtube too, but sometimes I find sites like sierra or shayboarder that I like, and if they have consistently decent quality, I'll check up every now and again to see if they post anything interesting, you know? But yeah - we'll definitely take that into account.

And kel - it'll definitely be better than those stupid expert village videos. We actually are planning on making something a bit more entertaining than the snowprofessor vids too. We're trying to keep it a bit more simple, but without under-emphasizing the most important key points.

Alkasquawlik View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Alkasquawlik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 2:15pm
honest question too, not being a dick, if you just got into park this past year, what makes you think you have the skill/knowledge to put out instructive videos for other riders?
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 2:25pm
Haha yeah - I felt like that was gonna be the biggest complaint.

But the reason we're starting this now, at the skill level we're at, is because we know we're going to start progressing more quickly, and we want to be able to explain what it felt like to actually learn the trick, and what key ideas helped us along, you know?

I feel like the more riding I do, the more I forget how hard it was to land my first grab, even though it seems like second nature now. So I want to begin writing guides and making videos ASAP, and I'll append them as we get better and think of new ways to perform that trick better. It's really to help those riders to learn from us when the learning experience is fresh in our minds, you know?

Also, we'll include in our videos footage of what it looked like when we first started the trick - our crappy attempts, all the way through to our successful, finished product. All videos out there now just show what the finished product looks like, and at most, they break that down. But we're going to try to break down common mistakes, and the learning process as a whole.

theshizz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote theshizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 2:33pm
Teaching tricks when your learning them is a super cool idea. It reminds me of riding with friends and learning from each other. Good luck with your site!
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Alkasquawlik

honest question too, not being a dick, if you just got into park this past year, what makes you think you have the skill/knowledge to put out instructive videos for other riders?

and to add to that...what makes you think that the way that you learned it was the correct way and not setting people up to have to break a bad habit later on when they want to progress?

I got corrected on my form a lot this last week when I thought I was an ok rider because I've picked up all of these bad habits which I would've taught someone because I didn't know any better. 
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 3:01pm
First of all, big ups for being proactive and wanting to development something around what you love. I think most of us here have thought about an idea or 2 related to boarding but never explored it, so kudos to you guys. Having said that, if you are doing this website from what you and your homie learns, then that's a big ceiling right there. Right out the gate, most of the community will not benefit from your site because they are past your skill set. And you could theoretically never surpass their level and tap into that demographic. So I don't see much growth in this website. Will it help newbies, yes. Is it likely to have a far reach or become commercial, probably not. Sounds more like you guys want to have a public journal of how you learned tricks, so that other people can learn faster from your triumphs. And you'll probably throw in there gear reviews and other things that come along your boarding experience. Best formula for success would be for you guys to progressive rapidly and have great breakthrough tips, but I would have to say growth would still be pretty limited. There's just too many other resources as you mentioned already out there. Plus, boarding is not so cerebral when you are first start out park. You just go out, get past your fear and just practice, practice, practice. good luck though, I'm sure it will help people!
Its not fun unless its sketchy
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 3:56pm
Haha thanks theshizz!

hana24 - good point. We kind of just assumed our way was the right way, but yeah. We'll have to think about this a bit more...

And kirium81 - thanks for the kudos, and yeah I agree. It's definitely going to be difficult, but we are hoping that this will at least help someone. For at least a year or so, we're not going to be doing this for any sort of monetary gain - we'll just be documenting our own skills as you say. But hopefully, by hitting up the park every other day, we'll be able to progress fast enough to be able to help a larger fraction of the snowboarding community.

One of the ideas that's kind of been in the works is to develop the site in conjunction with a very small trick-only discussion board, so people can give their own suggestions.

ktown View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ktown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 4:05pm
wait so are you making a free rider progression video or paid video? because free= good, but paid, then you have to be in competition with Snowboard addiction and such videos which l'm not sure your able to beat
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 4:19pm
Oh definitely free, ktown. It's just for fun, and I'm trying to see if people will be interested :P

ktown View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ktown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 4:28pm
just confirming, cuz if theres a cost, l'm not interested. just being frank here LOL
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bmorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 6:49pm
I'd check out your videos, but I'm of the opinion of everyone else whose posted above me, so no need to repeat everything.  I'd mostly be worried about learing a trick or taking advice on techniche from someone who has only been riding park for 1 year.  I read all the posts and completely understand why you and your friend would like to teach others as you guys progress, so as not to forget the little helpful hints along the way.  I applaud both of you for wanting to be innovative and teach others.  We need more people like you guys with a positive attitude who enjoy teaching others as oppose to breaking them down and ragging on them becasue they are not as skilled as others.  Personally, I'm much more inclined to listen to a rider who has multiple years of experience in both park and back country, who is very well versed in the mountain, and who can break it down from start to finish as to why you do it this certain way, or why not to do it a certain way.  It will be a lot of hard work for you and your friend, but I say go for it and I'm sure some of us will check them out.  Good luck.
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2011 at 5:28am
Haha thanks bmorse.

But yeah definitely. I think the reason why we feel relatively confident about this is that we have both been riding for about 4 years, and before we started hitting up the park, we spent a lot of time in the backcountry. I also had a few lessons back in the day, so I'm pretty sure my basic technique is correct.

scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2011 at 6:13am
BTW I had a chance to check out the site yesterday and it looked pretty good ill have to check it out when u launch
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bmorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2011 at 6:45pm
Just watched your "buttering" video.  Looks like you guys had a good time at Northstar.  I'll check back August 1st when you guys have your official opening date (i think that's what you call it).  Anyways, just make sure you guys have fun with it and don't stress about it.  Streesing wil only take the fun out of it.
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2011 at 5:33am
Thanks guys - yeah we're definitely planning on having fun with it. I feel like that's our main focus more than anything. Put our love for snowboarding into something creative.

Our opening date won't really be anything special, just a first initial blog post to tell what the site's gonna be about, and what to expect, and maybe another video edit. But we'll be releasing content pretty frequently after that.

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2011 at 5:53am
My 2 cents, I really like what you're doing with your web site.  The fact that you are documenting and sharing your failures, successes and tips for success is really cool. 

For the detractors who question your ability to teach a trick the "correct way", you have to take the advice for what it is.  The OP doesn't claim to be a pro or instructor, he is merely a fellow snowboarder who is learning and sharing his knowledge.  +1 for that.

When I first started riding not too long ago I asked for and received a lot of advice and tips from a couple of my buddies, one who has been riding for almost 20 years.  That advice helped me a lot.

Good luck and have fun with it.
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2011 at 9:22am
Thanks ctoma - your 2 cents is greatly appreciated.

Yeah that's basically what we're aiming for. We only rarely really rode with more experienced riders, but when we did we thought it was super helpful. We just want to bring that experience to other riders. Haha

youngun92 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote youngun92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2011 at 12:22pm
I gotta admit doug's youtube (sierra channel) helped me out a lot with some of the tricks. 
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2011 at 11:33am
Yeah. That and snowboard addiction was really the basis of a lot of my learning. Hopefully we can add to that kind of stuff, and just improve the knowledge base out there. :P

As a side note, we also decided we'd go ahead and build a summer setup with powderpak, so I'll keep you guys posted on how that goes. Hahah

Post Reply Post Reply