Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breckenridge in April
    Posted: Aug/03/2011 at 9:21am
We are looking into planning a family ski/snowboard trip in early April, working around our sons' school vacation schedule and my in-laws time-share availability.  Based on that the week of 4/7-4/14 is open.  

My riding experience is limited to the wondrous hills of MI (my wife, her parents and sister have skied/snowboarded in CO before but it was several years ago), so I would appreciate all tips/advice anyone has to share.

Typically, how is Breckenridge in early April?  The February week my kids have off from school is already booked at the time share although we can call regularly to see if someone cancels. 

Thanks. 
killclimbz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 5:23am
Let's see.  The snow pack is at it's greatest depth for the entire season.  Storms are typically frequent.  When it's not snowing the temps are usually warmer and decent spring corn riding to be had. 

Powder days do only tend to last for the day.  After it quits storming it usually warms up turning the snow into mank after a few hours.  So if you don't like storm riding then it may not be great.

Otherwise the only other worry is the days where the days are cold and it's been windy and hasn't snowed in a few days or only an inch or two came down.  Dust on crust.  These are the only days I don't really enjoy riding in April.  Then again, I don't care for middle of February boilerplate either. 

Since the long range (and I wouldn't put a lot of stock in it but...) is basically calling for a repeat of the set up for weather we had last year, I'd chance it.  April and May were two of the snowiest months we had all season, and we had a ton of snow every month.  April and May conditions were more like February.  It was fantastic.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 5:32am
Thanks killclimbz, I appreciate the information.

What about getting acclimated to the higher altitude/thinner air?  Do you suggest a day of not riding to get used to the climate?
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 5:52am
Originally posted by ctoma

What about getting acclimated to the higher altitude/thinner air?  Do you suggest a day of not riding to get used to the climate?

The altitude thing is overblown IMO.  Yes you may feel a little more tired than you usually would towards the end of the day, but it's not like you are going to be struggling to breathe after your first run.  As long as you are in relatively good shape the altitude shouldn't affect you too much.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 6:09am
Originally posted by CoMtnRider

The altitude thing is overblown IMO.  Yes you may feel a little more tired than you usually would towards the end of the day, but it's not like you are going to be struggling to breathe after your first run.  As long as you are in relatively good shape the altitude shouldn't affect you too much.

What he said.  I'm from CT and living in VA for school.  I've been out to breck the last two Januarys, and I would not recommend missing a day of riding for altitude purposes.  I didn't notice a difference, except for when I was hiking the top of peak 8.  My friends and I are in pretty good shape, and we were struggling to get up there.  The locals blew passed us on the side haha.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just before descending into the Waipio Valley Hawai'i

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 6:16am
I too make a trip to Breck every Feb.  First time out I didn't pay much attention to the altitude sickness thing... i was effected a little on day 4 (believe it or not) with shortness of breath  and a little nausea while walking/skating.  But I have asthma, so i kinda expected it.

I met up with a couple friends that live in the area (one who also has asthma), and they suggested that I just drink a ton of water.  For whatever reason, it seemed to work.... so since then, i just ride w a camelbak and I haven't had a problem.

I just booked my flights for our annual trip... I'll be there Feb 18th thru the 25th of 2012.   If anyone is going to be in the area, send me a PM.

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 8:58am
Thanks to all for the info.

Shift4200 - Our target week was 2/18 - 2/25 but the timeshare is booked.  My sister-in-law is on a waiting list in case there's a cancellation.  Good tip on staying hydrated, too, my sister-in-law said the same thing.

CoMtnRider - "relatively good shape", that's the part that scares me...

Going to start looking for airfare and transportation deals (maybe convert some Hilton Honors points), really getting excited about this and it's frickin' 8 months away!!!
kyavo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 9:02am
I'm going there I think for turkey day weekend so I. Hoping it's nice then. Also going back the week before Xmas. So I'm hoping for some good weather.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 9:11am

If you can't go up a flight up stairs without losing your breathe where you live you may want to start doing a little cardio before you come out here LOL
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 9:17am

Shift4200 - Our target week was 2/18 - 2/25 but the timeshare is booked.  My sister-in-law is on a waiting list in case there's a cancellation.  Good tip on staying hydrated, too, my sister-in-law said the same thing.

Going to start looking for airfare and transportation deals (maybe convert some Hilton Honors points), really getting excited about this and it's frickin' 8 months away!!!

I am a HGVC member and I stay at Valdoro.... if you've never stayed there before they hold all available rooms until about September, then they release them.  We had the same trouble when we went our first time.... but since then they offer it to us as soon as we're checking out.

Keep at it.... a room will open up that week, if that's where you plan to stay.  Tell the sister in law that i had better luck with the HGVC website for booking.

Valdoro is really nice... but just be prepared for the rooms to be smaller than other HGVC or HHonors destinations.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 9:28am
^ Yep, that's where we're staying.  The rooms look pretty nice (as you would expect for the HGVC) on the Valdoro web site, we are getting a 3BR unit and a 1BR unit (for my father-in-law and mother-in-law, give them their own space).  According to the map it looks like you can walk out of the resort and take the Quickstar Superchair.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 9:39am

^ Yep, that's where we're staying.  The rooms look pretty nice (as you would expect for the HGVC) on the Valdoro web site, we are getting a 3BR unit and a 1BR unit (for my father-in-law and mother-in-law, give them their own space).  According to the map it looks like you can walk out of the resort and take the Quickstar Superchair.

The rooms are nice... but smaller than other HGVC's that I've stayed at... significantly.

You CAN walk to the lifts, but not the Quickstar.  The Beaver Run base area is about 100yrds from the main entrance to the hotel.  Great bar, restaurants and High speed quad.  The resort has it's own shuttle that will take you anywhere at breck, so a car really isn't necessary.  With that said, all of the dining and the "village" of Breck is within walking distance.

The hotel has a decent bar, but closes early @ 10pm.  There's a gym.... some hot tubs and an indoor/outdoor pool (swim from in to out).  They have a small ski shop in the hotel that has all your basic needs.... and they will do an overnight tune for you if you like.  Ski storage is available and REQUIRED.  No boots, boards or skis are allowed in the rooms.

One thing I would strongly suggest when staying here.... especially if your coming from the east.  Stop at a drug store once u land and buy yourself a cheap humidifier, one of the el cheapo Vick's ones.  The air in that hotel is so dry that it effected everyone's sleep patterns.  After spending the 25$ on the humidifier... problem solved, and being only 25$ tossing it before leaving wasn't a heart breaker.

I hope you can get your desired week... it'd be fun to hook up for a few beers and war stories after the day of riding.  (and I can show you where the "Mansion" is)
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 9:49am
Excellent, thanks again, it's so helpful when discussing this with someone who has stayed at the same place.  I'll make a note to remind myself to pick up a couple of cheap humidifiers after arriving (one for my room, one for my kids' room), great tip.

Ski storage is required, good to know. 

Yeah, that would be cool if we get the February week.  My wife and I can leave the kids with her parents and meet up with you for a couple of beers.  Her sister and sister's boyfriend are fun to hang with, too.
romerider13 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 9:57am
Breckenridge I think has a good family feel to it and not many slopes are hard
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 9:58am
That would be a great time..... I hope it all works out.  The 4 of us that are going are all pretty laid back yet social and love a good time.  No worries about leaving the kids (unless u just want to) the hotel bar is well equipped with stuff for the lil ones to do while mom and dad get their drink on... .and if that's not enough, the full arcade is less than 10 feet from the entrance to the bar.  (all on the first level of the hotel, in the same building as the rooms)

I just bought my airfare for the feb trip.  Direct flights, from Providence to Denver, 400ish each.  So not bad.  Shuttles to and from the airport vary in price, but having such a large party, you would save money by reserving a private coach.  I want to say up to 8 people for 550ish each way.  We rented a TINY SUV last year and used it once (other than to and from airport) and we paid over 1000$ for it.

There's a bus system that will take you to other mountains if you feel the need to explore.... and as far as shopping for food and what not, the hotel shuttle is top notch.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Breck HAS to close on April 28th (don't quote me) due to being on a state forest.  If your planning on going later in the month, please be sure to confirm those dates so you don't show up and find closed lifts.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Shift4200

That would be a great time..... I hope it all works out.  The 4 of us that are going are all pretty laid back yet social and love a good time.  No worries about leaving the kids (unless u just want to) the hotel bar is well equipped with stuff for the lil ones to do while mom and dad get their drink on... .and if that's not enough, the full arcade is less than 10 feet from the entrance to the bar.  (all on the first level of the hotel, in the same building as the rooms)

I just bought my airfare for the feb trip.  Direct flights, from Providence to Denver, 400ish each.  So not bad.  Shuttles to and from the airport vary in price, but having such a large party, you would save money by reserving a private coach.  I want to say up to 8 people for 550ish each way.  We rented a TINY SUV last year and used it once (other than to and from airport) and we paid over 1000$ for it.

There's a bus system that will take you to other mountains if you feel the need to explore.... and as far as shopping for food and what not, the hotel shuttle is top notch.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Breck HAS to close on April 28th (don't quote me) due to being on a state forest.  If your planning on going later in the month, please be sure to confirm those dates so you don't show up and find closed lifts.

The dates should be on the website.  Definitely confirm that before you plan your trip.  We had an insane amount of snow this year, enough for a good few weeks left of riding but they still had to close. 
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 10:08am
^^ that blew my mind.  Huge dumps and the only riders are people skinning up.  
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 12:11pm
To the op.

On altitude sickness.  Just don't party your brains out and skip meals.  Drink plenty of water and you should be fine.  Those are the usual culprits for people having problems with altitude sickness.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by killclimbz

To the op.

On altitude sickness.  Just don't party your brains out and skip meals.  Drink plenty of water and you should be fine.  Those are the usual culprits for people having problems with altitude sickness.

I found that fairly difficult to avoid the last time I was in Breck.  You still hiking for turns killclimbz or did you hang up the board for august ?

-b
get bent
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 12:20pm
My last day was June 19th on Independence Pass this season.  I thought about going for TAY, but bagged July to get other things done.  So yeah I did hang up the board.  I'll be back at it when the snow starts flying again.  Hopefully November, maybe October.  A repeat of last (since they are calling for it) season would be just fine with me.  
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 12:40pm
yeah last year worked.  I'm going to find at least one more day to slide on snow somewhere so I can say I rode in august and then get ready for next year.  Wasn't aware of TAY but thanks to you dropping the name and me using google I see the light -- will get there someday

-b
get bent
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 4:07am

To the op.

I'm too old for that ish.  I'm sure we will enjoy a few pops after riding but my days of excessive drinking are long behind me.  Looking forward to trying some of the CO microbrews, hope I can find some good hoppy IPAs.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 4:21am
I had a few local brews when i was there last.... MOJO from Boulder CO is a strong IPA, and delicious.

Another fav of mine from the area is called Fat Tire.... i guess the locals call it Flat Tire. 

Good stuff, 9:20 am and my mouth is already watering.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 4:30am
Originally posted by Shift4200

I had a few local brews when i was there last.... MOJO from Boulder CO is a strong IPA, and delicious.

Another fav of mine from the area is called Fat Tire.... i guess the locals call it Flat Tire. 

Good stuff, 9:20 am and my mouth is already watering.

You MUST try Sunshine Wheat while you are here.  Fat Tire and Sunshine are both New Belgium(brewery in Fort Collins) brews, and Fat Tire is the more common, but Sunshine is the tastiest Big smile  Best beer ever!

Oh and Dazed and Confused, not the actual name i dont think, there is some kind of wordplay on it, is super hoppy.  Very flavorful.  It's in a psycadelic looking bottle.
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 4:34am
I went to the happy hour at Breck Brewery when I was there last time.  Eight of us went and just split the cost, got a bunch of pitchers.  Most of them were pretty good.  I did really like their seasonal IPA, but they would only serve it in 12 oz glasses because it was something like 10% alcohol.

Oh and Dazed and Confused, not the actual name i dont think, there is some kind of wordplay on it, is super hoppy.  Very flavorful.  It's in a psycadelic looking bottle.

Hazed and infused?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 4:40am
Originally posted by Sintexo

I went to the happy hour at Breck Brewery when I was there last time.  Eight of us went and just split the cost, got a bunch of pitchers.  Most of them were pretty good.  I did really like their seasonal IPA, but they would only serve it in 12 oz glasses because it was something like 10% alcohol.

Hazed and infused?

Good find, Sintexo.

Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 4:45am
I consider New Belgium beers to be like training wheels.  You like them when you first try a craft beer.  Then you explore all the other options and rarely go back.  Sunshine wheat is a decent summer beer though.  I won't argue that.  Fat Tire, meh...

Hazed and Infused by the Boulder Brewery is what you are thinking of.  Avery, Odell's, Steamworks, Ska, Oskar Blues and many other guys are worth checking out their beers in the store. 

Since you are talking Breck though, I'd recommend visiting the Dam Brewery in Silverthorne and Backcountry Brewery in Frisco.  You won't find them in stores and they have some decent brews there.  Breck brewery in Breck (duh) ain't bad either.  I think there may be another brewer or two around that I haven't visited.  Those are just the ones that come to mind.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 5:18am
I also went to several happy hours at the breck brewery.  I had a few pints of whatever brew it was that was cresting 13%.  Not sure the brew or the name, but we nicknamed it firewater.  Hoppy, rich and delicious....  Along with that the burgers and wings at the brewery were exceptional.

Killclimbz- Thanks for the suggestion, i'm always in the mood for a good brewery.  We'll be sure to head over to that Dam Brewery during our next visit.

Sintexo/CoMtnRider- I did try the hazed and confused.... LOVED it.  I just couldn't remember the name and didn't want to sound like a dink trying to guess at it.  I'll keep an eye out for that Sunshine Wheat, but with a name like that, i get the feeling that might be seasonal.

Ctoma- that link did bring me to the exact been i was swilling at the Valdoro bar.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 5:24am
Yep Hazed and Infused is it, good call.

I see what you are saying kill and I agree on Fat Tire, not a fan.  However, when it comes to Sunshine, I am a true Micro Brew lover and have probably tried hundreds of different kinds but I always go back to Sunshine.

Odells has good beers, their Easy Street is good and Levity is a really good one as well.

Also, Sunshine Wheat isn't seasonal, it's all year round.  New Belgium does have seasonal brews, but most of which I'm not usually a fan.  Skinny dip was good though, but I haven't seen it this summer.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 5:32am

Yep Hazed and Infused is it, good call.

I see what you are saying kill and I agree on Fat Tire, not a fan.  However, when it comes to Sunshine, I am a true Micro Brew lover and have probably tried hundreds of different kinds but I always go back to Sunshine.

Odells has good beers, their Easy Street is good and Levity is a really good one as well.

Also, Sunshine Wheat isn't seasonal, it's all year round.  New Belgium does have seasonal brews, but most of which I'm not usually a fan.  Skinny dip was good though, but I haven't seen it this summer.

Good to know... I'll be on the lookout for this brew.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 7:25am
I didn't say it was a seasonal beer.  A wheat beer is a summer beer.  Same with a pils.  Stouts are a winter beer for example.  Come on man, if you drink beer you know that there is a season for every type of beer.  Sunshine wheat is decent enough, but not something I think about when it's snowing out.  Sitting on a warm patio it's pretty good.

*I guess re-reading my post I can see where people would think it's a summer only brew.  I was going for the best season for drinking it vs saying it was actually brewed only doing certain periods.*

Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 7:27am
Oh yeah, Upslope is another beer company worth checking.  Their Ale and IPA are pretty hoppy if you like that.  The Brown is good too.  I haven't had their Pils yet, haven't been able to find it locally.  They also support Friends of Berthoud Pass which makes them legit.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 7:31am

I didn't say it was a seasonal beer.  A wheat beer is a summer beer.  Same with a pils.  Stouts are a winter beer for example.  Come on man, if you drink beer you know that there is a season for every type of beer.  Sunshine wheat is decent enough, but not something I think about when it's snowing out.  Sitting on a warm patio it's pretty good.

I think my philosophy is:  "A tasty beer is a tasty beer, no matter the time of year"

Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 7:32am
Oh I'll drink a wheat in winter here or there, it's just not my preference.  There is a tasty beer of all types to meet all seasons. 

You're in the Denver area right?  Have you checked out the Dry Dock or Copper Kettle yet?  Dry Dock especially makes some just amazing beers.  Copper Kettle is not that far behind.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 7:36am

Oh I'll drink a wheat in winter here or there, it's just not my preference.  There is a tasty beer of all types to meet all seasons. 

You're in the Denver area right?  Have you checked out the Dry Dock or Copper Kettle yet?  Dry Dock especially makes some just amazing beers.  Copper Kettle is not that far behind.

Never heard of either of them.  What specific brews from them do you suggest, I'm always down to try something new.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 9:45am
Dry Dock won best small brewer in America at the GABF two or three years ago.  They always grab some awards.  They also own the Brew Hut next door, which sells home brewer supplies.  The sweet thing is that they'll give you their exact recipes for their beer so you can try to brew your own if you like.  Of course all the ingredients are sold at the brew hut.  They also encourage you to bring in brews you came up with to taste with the brewers.  I have a couple of friends who do this all the time. They are located at the corner of Hampden and Chambers in Aurora.  The Vanilla Porter(I wassuprised by this one actually), IPA, Hefe, and Double IPA are good ones.  They are popular so they are always rotating in different beers all the time.

The Copper Kettle just opened three of four months ago.  I just got keyed into it when I was at the Boulder Brewery Tap Room at DIA waiting for my shuttle home.  The bartender there recommended it to me.  It's located on Valentia in between Mississippi and Parker Road.  There is a little side road that cuts between the two.  One of their Dark beers the Black Oynx is actually a great easy drinking summer (not seasonal) brew.  I was pretty impressed.  Being that when it's hot out I generally think Wheats, Kolsch, and Pils.  The Mexican Chocolate Stout was pretty damn good too.

Both places are just tasting rooms, but they have a binder full of local places that deliver you can order food from if you like.

rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 10:00am
Dry Dock is such a hole in the wall place too hah small tasting room in a shopping center
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2011 at 5:18am
Originally posted by rzero

Dry Dock is such a hole in the wall place too hah small tasting room in a shopping center

They've expanded a few times since the "small" tasting room.  Ain't so small now.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2011 at 5:29am

Couldn't find any of the brews listed at the local stores by my house this weekend, but did try a new New Belgium brew, their summer seasonal Sommersault.  Not too bad.

CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2011 at 5:59am

Couldn't find any of the brews listed at the local stores by my house this weekend, but did try a new New Belgium brew, their summer seasonal Sommersault.  Not too bad.

I love Somersault!  It is so much better than their old summer seasonal - Skinnydip.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2011 at 6:25am
Originally posted by CO_champagne

I love Somersault!  It is so much better than their old summer seasonal - Skinnydip.

I kind of feel like its the same brew with a different name lol.  They taste fairly similar to what I remember Skinny Dip tasting like.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2011 at 6:27am
Sorry, you have to go to Dry Dock or Copper Kettle in person.  They are not sold at liquor stores.  Well I think Dry Dock does sell bombers at some of the bigger liquor warehouses.  I know they have them at Chambers liquors, not sure who else will carry them.  These are small guys who do their business out of their tasting rooms for the most part.  Doesn't seem to be hurting them. 
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2011 at 9:58am

Originally posted by CO_champagne

I kind of feel like its the same brew with a different name lol.  They taste fairly similar to what I remember Skinny Dip tasting like.

No, I don't agree.  Skinny dip was much more bitter beer face.  On a hot summer day a smooth somersault is better.
jribeirojrrj View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2011 at 1:16pm
yes, breck in april. snow perfect
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 6:03am
Shift4200 - We are locked in for April, no chance for going the week in February when you will be there.  My brother-in-law is a teacher in Chicago and is able to take some time off in April but not February, so in order to make this a true family vacation and have him join us we are sticking with April.

Right now my in-laws are making me crazy, depending on me to find a vehicle to hold 8 people and all of our gear.  No chance.  I keep telling them we are going to need 2 vehicles, they refuse to acknowledge it.  If they keep it up we are going to need a vehicle that holds 6 people instead of 8...

Also, we are going to try to catch a Rockies game.  My 8 year old is baseball-obsessed and keeps asking if we can go to a game while we're in Colorado.  Does anyone have any advice or tips on taking in a game at Coors Field?  The Rockies are hosting the Giants and D-Backs the week we will be there.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 7:08am
Yeah, 8 people, you are definitely going to need two vehicles.  I'd just tell them that is how it is.  Even with six, that is asking an awful lot for one vehicle. 

As far as a game goes at Coors Field goes.  It's pretty easy.  There is parking close to the field off of 38th.  I'm sure Coors field guys will guide you right in.  Not sure what the cost is.  Less than $20 I am sure.  Watch the weather.  It could be very nice or you cold need your down jackets and beanies.  Colorado weather changes daily if not by the minute.  If you need a place to stay you might find a decent deal at the Sheraton Hotel on the 16th street mall.  It's on the opposite side of the mall as the ball park, but there is a free shuttle that runs up and down the mall.  You could just take that to Blake and walk over to the park if you went that route.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 7:14am

Yeah, 8 people, you are definitely going to need two vehicles.  I'd just tell them that is how it is.  Even with six, that is asking an awful lot for one vehicle. 

As far as a game goes at Coors Field goes.  It's pretty easy.  There is parking close to the field off of 38th.  I'm sure Coors field guys will guide you right in.  Not sure what the cost is.  Less than $20 I am sure.  Watch the weather.  It could be very nice or you cold need your down jackets and beanies.  Colorado weather changes daily if not by the minute.  If you need a place to stay you might find a decent deal at the Sheraton Hotel on the 16th street mall.  It's on the opposite side of the mall as the ball park, but there is a free shuttle that runs up and down the mall.  You could just take that to Blake and walk over to the park if you went that route.

Plenty of cheaper places to park and yes if you are staying downtown....walk to a game. If not, light rail it. no good reason to pay to park near the ballpark. Anywhere past Larimar south won't be over $10 bucks
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 7:23am
The only reason I suggested the Coors Field parking lot is that it sounds like he might just be coming down from Summit County for the day.  Being that he's probably not familiar with the downtown area, that is pretty easy to find.  Sometimes it's worth to pay a little extra so that you don't have to hassle.  Being an out of towner would be a great example of this. 
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 8:08am

The only reason I suggested the Coors Field parking lot is that it sounds like he might just be coming down from Summit County for the day.  Being that he's probably not familiar with the downtown area, that is pretty easy to find.  Sometimes it's worth to pay a little extra so that you don't have to hassle.  Being an out of towner would be a great example of this. 

Yep, you nailed it.  We are staying in Breckenridge and are considering a trip into the city to catch a game and then return to Breckenridge after the game.  I was in Denver for a conference about 7 or 8 years ago but being that long ago I would not be able to get around based on memory so I'm willing to pay a little extra for convenience.

Thanks to both for the tips.
 Post Reply Post Reply