Online Status: Offline
  Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biking
    Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by rzero

Originally posted by MTpow

Back in action!

Thanks boss?

Thanks guy who hit me, i'm sure the boss will like it though!

yah i posted that prior to reading up in the thread and was too lazy to come back and edit... glad YOU didn't get fk'd up in that little encounter!  Pretty slick lookin wheels!
MOAR powderz plz!
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 9:55pm

Back in action!

Thanks boss?

wow that was pretty quick! insurance or outta his pocket?
what you gonna do with your old one? fix it?
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2012 at 6:26am
Originally posted by derbytownjoe

Back in action!

Thanks boss?

wow that was pretty quick! insurance or outta his pocket?
what you gonna do with your old one? fix it?

out of pocket, nah...it's wall art at this point. frame is a little tweaked so i'm not risking it.
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2012 at 7:38pm

out of pocket, nah...it's wall art at this point. frame is a little tweaked so i'm not risking it.

Don't retire that sweet thing! It's got a decade worth of bike jousting in it! Just throw on a new wheel, bend some of the spokes out of the way and whammo.. perfect jousting bike. 
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2012 at 7:56pm

]

Did a quick 15 or so miles this weekend...my ass is killing me adjusting to the new saddle.

overall, I love it.

the ride itself is a bit rough compared to the old ride, tires are thinner and more road oriented but that's a small adjust I need to make.

You know, I never did get around to asking why you don't just take the saddle from your old bike, and transplant it to your new bike?

Also, as far as the "bit rough" comparison, you are now riding an aluminum frame rather than steel. While aluminum is more rigid, I love the "sporty" bare bones type feel you get with it. Steel is amazing, don't get me wrong (and so is carbon, as I am learning) but alum. just feels peppy if that makes any sense.

As the days go on, I get more and more interested in belt drive bikes. I have a "Motobecane Le Champion" sitting around the basement just waiting to get repainted and built up. Got a decent cane creek headset and an okay FSR full carbon fork for it. Now all I need is EVERYTHING else LOL But I have been doing a little research on belt driven internal 3 and 5 hubs, and that just sounds like a really cool thing to do with this frame. I mean, I work at a bike shop now..so while I'm not going to go full on with it, I do want to build up one really cool bike for this summer.

If you wouldn't mind, rzero, keeping me/us all posted on any issues that come up (mainly wondering about belt wear) it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and Epic, here is what I was talking about a few days ago. You know, about not worrying about making me want yet another bike...LOL
Here is the basement of our shop. This is just the MTN. and TriCross side. There is a mirror side of road and "comfort/commuter" bikes. I wants them all. So much cool shit laying around. While the pay isn't the greatest, I am an heaven. Such a cool job.

EDIT:hahahahah..LOL Shooey for the win with the bike jousting comment!

EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2012 at 9:35am
Originally posted by batmanwest

Oh, and Epic, here is what I was talking about a few days ago. You know, about not worrying about making me want yet another bike...LOL
Here is the basement of our shop. This is just the MTN. and TriCross side. There is a mirror side of road and "comfort/commuter" bikes. I wants them all. So much cool shit laying around. While the pay isn't the greatest, I am an heaven. Such a cool job.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  That's why I never got a job at a place I like and get a discount at their stuff.  I wouldn't know how to turn the other direction.  Although looking at that place, it looks like you could walk away with a bike pretty easily LOL
Well, except for the fact that they're probably betting on that and have cameras set up everywhere.  Pretty sweet that you were able to get the commission on working on your bike though.  That's kind of funny.
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 6:48am
Heading out for a bike ride today... 20-30 miles at an easy pace.  Looking forward to getting outside, but it snowed here yesterday.  It's going to be CHILLY!!!
Layers, Layers, Layers!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by EpicFAIL

Yeah, I know what you mean.  That's why I never got a job at a place I like and get a discount at their stuff.  I wouldn't know how to turn the other direction.  Although looking at that place, it looks like you could walk away with a bike pretty easily LOL

Yeeeaaahhh...we have a few bikes in our stock that are just bad-farking-ass. Although, my current project isn't a new bike, it's to take a frame I currently have and build it up to be a mean commuting slayer.

I went and got my hopes up without thinking. Went and priced out and sourced everything I would need for a belt driven 8 speed internal hub, and totally forgot I can't convert my bike to belt. There is no inlet for the belt to get around the frame. Not only do I feel like a fool for forgetting this fact, but my bubble is totally burst... :( Now to rethink this entire project. I really wanted an internal hub, but if it's going to be chain I think I might go with a normal cassette. I dunno. Maybe with the few dollars I will save with not being belt drive, I could dump into the wheel set and get something REAL sexy in carbon...who knows.

Oh, and our spring sale at the shop is going to shit. Crappy weather forecasted for the next few days. It was DEAD today. We sold 3 bikes for the day. Just pathetic. Really hope things pick up next week, I wants those monies!!! LOL
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 5:17pm
I don't think you're going to have an issue selling bikes once the weather warms up. 

Oh, riding back from the grocery store I had a little surprise. Just as I was closing in on home I hear a pop pop crack.. rear brake cable. Lucky I practice my panic stops, right? :) We're forecasted to have some heavy downpours until the end of the month, so I won't be missing out too much while I'm replacing the cable. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by LittleShooey

I don't think you're going to have an issue selling bikes once the weather warms up. 

Not at all, our shop does a TON of business in the warm months here. But honestly, if it's not sunny people don't shop around for bikes here. It was raining for most of my shift today though, and when it comes down to it, we all would rather people didn't come in for test rides when it's wet out. Real pain in the ass for the service/mech. dudes. Mix that with me working both sales and mech. every shift, it just adds to our work load.

It's just we are in "full swing" of our Spring Sale event, where our store is kind of expected to have really high numbers. For instance, in years past, the store averaged around 30-50 grand a day during the Spring Sale. Hell, I have heard of days they did over 60k in sales/service in one day. Today we apparently did around 20 thousand. Just a bummer and since we all work on commission, even more of a bummer. 

Oh, riding back from the grocery store I had a little surprise. Just as I was closing in on home I hear a pop pop crack.. rear brake cable. Lucky I practice my panic stops, right? :) We're forecasted to have some heavy downpours until the end of the month, so I won't be missing out too much while I'm replacing the cable. 

That's an easy and cheap fix girl! Wink What kind of brake system do you run? When it comes down to it you really only need a front break on a bike.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 5:54pm
Three bikes and 20K in sales? I know that you have to factor in the merch inv price and the like, but holy hell. Wayy better than making and selling 200 sandwich orders a shift to just break 2K.LOL 

Cantilevers, easy fix. No mechanism issues so I just need to restring the brake line. Thumbs Up I just have two bikes now (one a bare frame) out of commission. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 7:41pm

Three bikes and 20K in sales? I know that you have to factor in the merch inv price and the like, but holy hell. Wayy better than making and selling 200 sandwich orders a shift to just break 2K.LOL 

Cantilevers, easy fix. No mechanism issues so I just need to restring the brake line. Thumbs Up I just have two bikes now (one a bare frame) out of commission. 

nah, the 3 bike sales accounted for about 2700 of the sales for the day. we sell a whole hell of a lot of other random shit.
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 4:37am
So Im doing a half iron man this summer and Im debating on tri bars. Im riding my dads trek from like 1990. its an all aluminum roda bike so I definitely not having to buy one but ive been told tri bars help a alot. does anyone have any recommendations
Weymaro View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Weymaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 7:02am
I've got 2 bikes. A Giant (it's a Taiwanese company) road bike which is very light and fast although the brakes don't work too well. I got it mega cheap to. I also have a mountain bike. I think it's either a trek or a mongoose
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 10:48am
Originally posted by scuddera

So Im doing a half iron man this summer and Im debating on tri bars. Im riding my dads trek from like 1990. its an all aluminum roda bike so I definitely not having to buy one but ive been told tri bars help a alot. does anyone have any recommendations

Sooo...1/2 ironman bike segment is what..around 55 miles or something like that?

Yeah, I would get some tri bars. Anything made by Profile or Easton are top notch choices, and both companies offer budget options. I wouldn't get the ones that incorporate shifting into the bars though. You can save a lot of money there. What kind of bike is it? What components are on it? How is the wheel set? Wheels and rubber are usually the first things I upgrade on all my bikes. A deep V Velocity set would probably be my first suggestion for wheels. They make a damn fine wheel, at a good price. The deep V will help a little with wind resistance, and if you have old steel wheels, upgrading will help a little with your spin resistance.

Originally posted by Weymaro

I've got 2 bikes. A Giant (it's a Taiwanese company) road bike which is very light and fast although the brakes don't work too well. I got it mega cheap to. I also have a mountain bike. I think it's either a trek or a mongoose

What type of Giant is it? How much ya pay? Brakes are an easy, cheap fix. Takes 30 minutes top even if you have to replace housing, cables, or even tension springs.

Same goes for the MTN. bike. What cha got! You kids are killing me with just saying who the maker is, but not the model! LOL
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 11:15am
So yesterday a local skateboard legend had a run in with a cable on his mt. bike.  Be careful out there kiddies.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 11:22am
Originally posted by snowj720

So yesterday a local skateboard legend had a run in with a cable on his mt. bike.  Be careful out there kiddies.

Wait..as in he was riding his mtn bike on a trail or something, and snagged a cable with his face? I want to know more about this story! LOL Shit that looks painful.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 11:31am
I'll have to get more details on it.  All he said was he was mt. biking (more than likely on a trail knowing him) and hit a cable.  I'm pretty sure he was riding at in the evening (at least while it was getting dark) cause he said he went to the ER at midnight. 
Dude is one of my heros.  He's been a semi-pro skater for years, he's good at wake/snowboarding, plays hockey, rides mt. bikes, and lives life to the fullest.  With this latest accident he's now had over 500 stitches (lifetime) and he'll be getting plastic surgery (not like rich bitch surgery, but something to try and fix his face).
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 2:36pm
Dang, that's an ugly accident...  Always be careful out there.

I got a 30 mile ride yesterday at a pretty easy pace, but it was totally flat and averaged about 18 miles/hour.  One of my biking buddies was trying to keep his heart rate down, so he was keeping the pace.

Got another 15 mile ride in today.  That one was high intensity with some hills and some weight.  I was pulling my two kids in the trailer to a park about 7.5 miles away, rest, and then back.  The hills and the wind were that much harder pulling 80-90 lbs behind my bike.  

I have them trained to say "GO MOMMY GO! GO MOMMY GO!" when we're going uphill or into the wind.  It may annoy other bikers and runners, but it is cute and sometimes it helps me...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 12:54pm

I have them trained to say "GO MOMMY GO! GO MOMMY GO!" when we're going uphill or into the wind.  It may annoy other bikers and runners, but it is cute and sometimes it helps me...

Hella cute! Other riders are just jealous they don't have an awesome on the go support team like you do. 

So I'm working on a graduated diamond [90% black -> white] pattern for my frame. It's a little crazy and hella time consuming, but it's a nice break from the homework and home stuff. Here's my rough sketch:

In progress. Only some of the outer diamonds for now. Planning and keeping everything square was a mini nightmare. Pattern will extend up a majority of the seat tube, and maybe halfway up the downtube (fully graduated), I'll just have to see how it looks Oh, script reads "Panasonic", was looking for something kinda 80s that would contrast nicely with the diamonds. 

kikko View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kikko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 2:09pm
that diamond pattern looks dope with just the outer diamonds...
Fear does not stop death, it stops life...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by kikko

that diamond pattern looks dope with just the outer diamonds...

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I have to finish all the outers before moving to the inners (which is going to be hell on it's own), if it keeps up the way it is, I'll just keep the outer diamonds. 
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 2:39pm
I expect the answer to this to be no.
However, I will go ahead and ask.

Are there any bike trainers compatible with knobby tires?
(ie you don't have to switch out your back tire for a slick).
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 2:47pm
I have limited experience with it, but:

A lot of trainers should be compatible, but you'll just be wiping the tread right off of that back tire. It'd be worth it to get a cheapy rear, if that's the way you want to go. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by gunda pickle

I expect the answer to this to be no.
However, I will go ahead and ask.

Are there any bike trainers compatible with knobby tires?
(ie you don't have to switch out your back tire for a slick).

Any trainer will be compatible, if you will. As in, you will be able to ride a knobby on it, and things will spin, and miles will tally up, and sweat will pour......but tread will fly. I know it can suck having to swap out a tire every time you want to train. Add to that the price of said "slick". But it is well worth it. Best route would be to just go to your local bike store, tell them the situation, and ask for the cheapest non-knobby road tire for a mtn. bike they have. If you don't already know how to change a flat/tire, now is a great time to learn!. 

But really, if you ride a knobby on a trainer, expect that tire to experience failure around the 100 mile mark. Oh, and it will be loud/bumpy as hell....  
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 7:48pm
 Oh, and Shooey, what are you using to apply the pattern to the frame? looks great by the way. Lovin the throw back script for the Panasonic logo. Keep at it. Doing patterns like that on a rounded surface sucks. Been there, done it, wanted to quit on it every half hour. Keep at it girl! LOL

Can't wait for the final product. 

Starting a build myself right now...
As I stated in an above post, I have a Motobecane LeChampion (2008 I think. A few years after their last good frame) frame to work with. It originally was a chrome finish, with red badges. Stripped it down to bare metal, put a few thick layers of black down to fill in any small scratches/surface imperfections. That/here is where I stand....

It came with a full carbon FSA areo fork, and a cane creek head set. The fork is okay. Not the best, but it's light as hell, durable, and came "free" with the bike. Head set is decent, about mid level in its family. 

Head Set. 

And there is where I stand. Going to try and get the frame prepped for color by this weekend. There is about another hour or so of sanding left on the frame. Not totally sure what direction I want to go color wise, but I do want to re-use the free hand design I used on my Allez (black and teal bike I have posted before. My primary bike). I have always wanted to do this cloud/psychedelic pattern with free hand laid over it. Thinking darker colors, black. dark orange, crimson for the cloud pattern, then black overlay. We will see.

As for components, I think I am either going to do full campy and skimp on the wheel set, or mid level SRAM, and get a set of deep dish ZIPP's for a wheel set. Can't do a belt drive as I wanted too (I still can't believe I thought I could LOL  ) So might go with a 9 speed chain driven. Oh, and top everything off with red or orange anodized accents where I can (bolts, pulleys, nipples, and so on) .  Can't wait for 2 weeks from now! I will finally have the money to get started on sourcing all the parts!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 8:10pm

Oh, and Shooey, what are you using to apply the pattern to the frame? looks great by the way. Lovin the throw back script for the Panasonic logo. Keep at it. Doing patterns like that on a rounded surface sucks. Been there, done it, wanted to quit on it every half hour. Keep at it girl! LOL
Thanks,

It's ink! Sharpie to be exact. All those lines are freehand, no masking. The original plan was to do paint and tape. The graduated black fill was going to make taping a disaster I'd be hell bent on perfecting, why not just do it by hand? 
A decent math background and a protractor made starting a little easier but holy hell does it keep you on your toes. I've quit three or four times already, you know what I mean. 

I might be a little insane. 

That's one hell of a project you've got going! Stalker bike count says this one makes four? Five? Meh, n+1. 
I like the cloud idea. Makes me think of this.  It's going to be exciting once the components start rolling in!  

You can do a belt drive, just cut into the food budget! Who needs food!?

Also: Do the deep dishes.
Why did you prime with black? Powdercoating or spray canning? With a can the black will just suck the life out of any colors on top of it. 

______
Off topic, but I don't want to start a new post.
I just weighed my "resistance bike", 41 lbs on the dot! Beat that!
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 8:45pm
what kind of bike is in the movie Ghost Rider?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 6:43am
Originally posted by rurchan

what kind of bike is in the movie Ghost Rider?

Dude...it was a motorcycle. Wrong thread. Please don't use this thread for your 5 points, just use one of the other ones that you use every other night when no one is looking. Thanks.

It's ink! Sharpie to be exact. All those lines are freehand, no masking. 
I might be a little insane. 

Holy shit yeah you are insane!!! Damn, those lines look nice for free hand. Keep at it!. Just shit, I honestly can't believe that is free hand. Very impressive. 

That's one hell of a project you've got going! Stalker bike count says this one makes four? Five? Meh, n+1. 
I like the cloud idea. Makes me think of this.  It's going to be exciting once the components start rolling in!  

You can do a belt drive, just cut into the food budget! Who needs food!?

Count wise? It is constantly rotating. LOL But yes, this will make four....for now. Sold some, picked up a random shitty mtn. bike...so on and so on. 
As for that link, that isn't far off from what I was thinking. You'll see, kind of hard to explain what it will look like other than with pictures...

Oh, and I can't do a belt drive with this frame. The belts are solid, just like a cars. You need a gap in the rear triangle to pass the belt through. No way in hell I am going to cut this frame up and try to make my own, hahaha. It's cool. I'm over it. One day I'll find a belt drive frame on the cheap. One day. 

For now, I think I sold myself on decking the bike out with SRAM Red series components. 

Also: Do the deep dishes.
Why did you prime with black? Powdercoating or spray canning? With a can the black will just suck the life out of any colors on top of it. 

______
Off topic, but I don't want to start a new post.
I just weighed my "resistance bike", 41 lbs on the dot! Beat that!

Yeah, like I said above with the SRAM choice, Deep Vs will be the way to go. Almost want to see if I can get a "Spinergy" wheel for the rear. Think that would look sick. 
I went with black for that exact reason you stated. I want any color I put on it to have the life sucked out of it. I don't want any sharp, vibrant colors on the frame, just little accents on the components. That way it will keep the "in your face" level down on the colors I use for the frame. 
Also, a very large chunk of that black will be gone before I put my color coats on. I have a very thought out method for this paint job. You'll see Wink (Oh, and rattle cans all the way! :)

Oh, and 41 lbs!!? Oh shit! I just can't beat that at all. That is insanely heavy LOL
Maybe I'll ride to work today and weigh my bike there. I forget what it is running, but I think around the 23 range..
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 5:18pm
Geeked out for a minute at work tonight. This was on my docket for repairs today, and thought it was pretty cool. Don't think I would ever do it, but cool non the less. Super heavy though....

EDIT: Oh, and shooey, weighed my bike last night, sitting at 20.72 lbs with everything on it. Big smileTongue

Rear view so you can see it better. Dude had an internal three hub, and a 9 speed chained cassette. Two rear derailleurs. Basically what it does is replace a three front chain ring, and puts it into an internal hub. You have two shifters  on the right hand. He had the 9 speed on a "grip shift", and the three internal on a thumb leaver directly below the grip shift. Rode it around for a little bit. Kinda cool, but much prefer just a double up front. It also made a pretty crazy sound. Two cassettes clicking at different pitches slightly off sync from each other. 

Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 6:55pm
I didn't even think about what infrastructure was needed for a belt. New territory. Smile Speaking of new territory, I don't think I'd be a big fan of the dual rear shifters, either!

20lbs would be a dream. Not that I really care, the bike (read: BSO) I'm on now is making me hella strong. With this custom I'm building, what blew me away was that the frame only weighed as much as the (1980s) crank set. That was my mind=blown moment as I was stripping it down. Shooting for about 25 with bags and full gear.  
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2012 at 7:56am
 A little better detail, definitely hand drawn:
http://i.imgur.com/CGENw.jpg

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2012 at 8:04am
Originally posted by snowj720

I'll have to get more details on it.  All he said was he was mt. biking (more than likely on a trail knowing him) and hit a cable.  I'm pretty sure he was riding at in the evening (at least while it was getting dark) cause he said he went to the ER at midnight. 
Dude is one of my heros.  He's been a semi-pro skater for years, he's good at wake/snowboarding, plays hockey, rides mt. bikes, and lives life to the fullest.  With this latest accident he's now had over 500 stitches (lifetime) and he'll be getting plastic surgery (not like rich bitch surgery, but something to try and fix his face).

Who is that, Bill Fergusson?  80's Endless Summer team skater?
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2012 at 3:35pm
Nice detail Shooey!  I cannot imagine having the creativity to do that!  Keep at it.

derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2012 at 5:51pm
ok, so i rebuilt my recon solo air today.....
rebuilt cuz the moco lock-out didnt lock out any more.......

nice new oil, nice new seals..... 

but still wont lock out.... :-(

hopefully its not the MOCO itself.... THAT would suxors!!!!!!
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2012 at 6:36pm

Nice detail Shooey!  I cannot imagine having the creativity to do that!  Keep at it.

Thanks!

I did myself in today though. I was about three miles out and I thought my rear derailleur was having some troubles. We pulled into a parking lot did a few laps and right then and there my rear hub just started blowing out bearings. Oh hell. The walk of shame, man. 

Not too worried about the replacement/repair costs, it just sucks to be bikeless. Well, technically bikeless. I took hubby's Specialized out to run errands later in the day. Smooth riding, easy shifting, life is looking up. I get ready to head back home and, well shit. Chain's off the front ring. What am I doing wrong!? Popped it back on, rode home. 

Strange day, I gotta get that roadie going so I can break that one too! LOL
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2012 at 5:21am
I have a EAI Bareknuckle (fixed)

I also am finishing up a Specalized RockHopper (single speed)
Pictures to come
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2012 at 6:56am

I did myself in today though. I was about three miles out and I thought my rear derailleur was having some troubles. We pulled into a parking lot did a few laps and right then and there my rear hub just started blowing out bearings. Oh hell. The walk of shame, man. 

Not too worried about the replacement/repair costs, it just sucks to be bikeless. Well, technically bikeless. I took hubby's Specialized out to run errands later in the day. Smooth riding, easy shifting, life is looking up. I get ready to head back home and, well shit. Chain's off the front ring. What am I doing wrong!? Popped it back on, rode home. 

Strange day, I gotta get that roadie going so I can break that one too! LOL

That sucks about your hub dude. But you are right, at least it's a reasonably cheap fix. 

As for the hubby's bike, and the chain falling off. Sounds like the limits on the front are out of wack. Easy fix (as long as you know what you are doing) but really...it's pretty simple. Give a shout if you need some help figuring it out. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2012 at 8:43am
I'm loving the pink bike, thanks for having a front brake!

Beemer:
For the chain, there's a half chance that a batch of kids coming out of the high school gave it a yank too. It just... undid itself while it was parked. BMX'ers.Wacko No shifting/loosening issues on the ride. 

Thanks for the support!

Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2012 at 8:51am

I'm loving the pink bike, thanks for having a front brake!

Thanks, it was a gift from my best man. I rode for a while with out a brake but it is just safer to have one, just incase
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2012 at 12:26pm

Beemer:
For the chain, there's a half chance that a batch of kids coming out of the high school gave it a yank too. It just... undid itself while it was parked. BMX'ers.Wacko No shifting/loosening issues on the ride. 

Thanks for the support!

Beemer? Word, never heard that one before..LOL
That sucks that someone probably pulled your chain off. I would blame the bmx'ers too. What kind of specialized is it? That's good you didn't have any issues while riding. 

woodhomie: I will also throw out a thanks for rocking a brake. :) Can't stand all the kids in my town that don't. Then they hit a car or person or another rider and it makes the rest of us look bad. 

Soooo...I think I may have pulled the trigger on yet another road bike today. Honestly, I am not even sure how it happened. Had some friends over, one was talking about how he wants to sell his bike...next thing I knew I was handing him dollars. Damn being hungover, then drinking mimosas! LOL I think I have a problem. I need help. 
It's cool, I think I am just going to ride it this week, then sell it to a friend when he gets paid next Friday. I'll load some pics up later, it still is a pretty cool old steel frame, with modern components. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 5:51am
New bike. Pretty cool little whip. It's a Austro-Daimler A-D, which was the higher end model of their line back in the late 70's. The friend I bought it from did a decent amount of upgrades to it. New wheel set, took off the frame mounted shifting to shimano Tiagra paddle lever shifting, Tiagra brakes, and a low-mid range FSA crank arms. The result is a fairly solid little bike with modern drive train and braking. The thing rides like a dream. Very smooth steel, fast shifting. Although the frame is a tad small for me, but as I mentioned in my above post, I don't think I am going to keep this one. I have a friend that wants to get into biking, and ride with my crew, so going to sell it to him (hopefully by next friday) but totally going to ride the piss out of this thing while it's still mine.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 7:38am
This is my seconded fixed and I have had a front brake on both, it just makes sense.

My almost finished Specialized Rockhopper Single speed
I have a shorter stem coming in and shorter cranks
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by woodhomie1996

My almost finished Specialized Rockhopper Single speed
I have a shorter stem coming in and shorter cranks

Rock on man. I see you have a pretty "slick" tire on there. Mainly just ride it on the street then?
I think it would be fun to have a flip-flop hub on a mtn. bike. Single speed is cool though, you should use that thing for some trail riding sometime. Big smile

Either way, cool build, have fun on that thing mate!
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by woodhomie1996

I have a EAI Bareknuckle (fixed)

I also am finishing up a Specalized RockHopper (single speed)
Pictures to come

i'm loving the pink bike! 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 12:48pm
Thanks guys that's actually an old picture on "pinky" I'll snap a new picture soon. I do want to put a flip flop hub when I get some extra time and money.

Edit: yes I mostly ride on the street.
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 3:30pm

Soooo...I think I may have pulled the trigger on yet another road bike today. Honestly, I am not even sure how it happened. Had some friends over, one was talking about how he wants to sell his bike...next thing I knew I was handing him dollars. Damn being hungover, then drinking mimosas! LOL I think I have a problem. I need help. 
It's cool, I think I am just going to ride it this week, then sell it to a friend when he gets paid next Friday. I'll load some pics up later, it still is a pretty cool old steel frame, with modern components. 
I think you've officially lost it, although if I knew more about bikes, that'd be a great business here in Portland.  Bikes are always going for much more than they're worth.  I have two bikes to sell right now, but got to strip it first.  Want to take all the good parts and put it on the new bike.  
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 6:22pm

I think you've officially lost it, although if I knew more about bikes, that'd be a great business here in Portland.  Bikes are always going for much more than they're worth.  I have two bikes to sell right now, but got to strip it first.  Want to take all the good parts and put it on the new bike.  

I dunno about lost it. Having a problem, yes. But probably not lost it Wink
Also not really making any money off selling it to a friend. 15 bucks is what I think I will take out of it. Kid just really wants a bike, other friend had a few offers already on it, so I jumped on it. Actually, it's turning out to be a great way to save money. If I wouldn't of done this for my friend, I would of spent close to 400 bucks on new parts for a frame I still have yet to paint. What good does that do for me? Hahah.

On a side note, had to break down and buy a new tire for my daily. I decided I should stop riding a tire with cord showing. You never know when that could blow out, and I usually ride like an asshole (with no tools or supplies to fix/change a flat) anyways. Great example I am setting working at a bike shop, eh? LOLLOL
Not bad though, another 58% sale strikes again Wink
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ianbejamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 6:52pm
i just learned how to repair a tube in my mountain bike's tire today. Ohhhh yea. I thought yall would be impressed haha. I can't even imagine what it would be like on a road bike. Than again, i'm definitely not an expert.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 6:57pm
how did u learn how to repair the tube. did u watch youtube vids or did someone show you and how long did it take you to repair it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>