Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biking
    Posted: Jul/04/2012 at 9:35pm
The benefits of being in southern california allowed me to do a sicki ride from silverado canyon to some cool road trail parts to laguna canyon to the beach-and back
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2012 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by batmanwest

Panther, they are Ritchey Carbon Bullhorn's. EDIT: Pretty sure they are labeled under the TT/Tri bar class btw. Almost 100% sure they are these... : http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prod.php?p=30-261-814&k=451135

Well...the storms totally shtooked up the trails around here. Going to be another few weeks before the major trails are cleaned and cleared. As for the 20 mile loop my co-workers and I were working on..we might have to just scrap the idea. Rode a mile section of them tonight on our way to fireworks...not so good. In about a mile stretch there were 10 trees (all over foot wide) down directly over the trail. Kinda bummed right now.

thanks, they're sick.  wish i had that type of cash for a set of them.  or if only they had the same bar in aluminum...
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2012 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by panther

thanks, they're sick.  wish i had that type of cash for a set of them.  or if only they had the same bar in aluminum...

They ARE sick. Big smile But, there are many companies out there that make that style of TT bullhorn bar in aluminum. Look at the Nitto Pursuit bars. Not exactly what the Ritcheys are, but close enough as long as you sawed off about 4 inches each side. Amazon's gots them...Ermm or if you have a good LBS in your area, just go to them and have them special order the bars. Just might have to do a little cutting with the Aluminum bars, but they will still look dope.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2012 at 2:41pm
Whiting ranch, a well known mtn biking trail in orange county is so f-ing crowded all the time-doesnt anybody work?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2012 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by timpiper

Whiting ranch, a well known mtn biking trail in orange county is so f-ing crowded all the time-doesnt anybody work?

I would take crowded over closed any day....which is what I am dealing with right now. Most of the MTN bike trails in Ohio are closed due to so many trees down over the trail. One of the best trails in central Ohio is un-rideable due to over 100 trees down over the 9 mile trail. Ouch

There is a trail building/cleaning day tomorrow morning, might go. Not sure though as it's going to be 104 here tomorrow. Too hot to be running a chain saw and moving logs.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2012 at 4:50pm
Bought a bike helmet mirror yesterday. Many of the "bike" lanes around here are far too narrow, and not having to lean around to look behind me is gonna be nice :)
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2012 at 8:10pm
Spent the day today on Beech Mountain Ski Resort helping with cleanup and trail setup (cuts/berms/etc) for the US Cycling Mountain Bike Gravity National Championship in 2 weeks. This place was sick -- especially the area they called The Rock Garden -- and I cannot wait to go back to watch the comps!

j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2012 at 9:27pm
That looks like a brutal course! I do miss mountain biking... but i've never attempted a trail like that. Crazy! Definitely sounds cool that you'll get to see some pros tear up the course ya put together for em :)
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 7:35am
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2012 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by mommehK

In case anyone is interested:

http://www.usacycling.org/2012/mtb-gravity-nationals

Looks like it would be a rad time mommehK. Any mtn. bike race is a blast to go to. So much more fun and laid back than road racing. I have never been to a DH event, but I could only imagine how sweet it would be.

So...saw this trailer yesterday. I know...I know...a bunch of dirty hipster douche-bags blowing lights, complaining about the "man", and moving legit riding back a step..but it looks like a good watch non the less. Probably one of the best shot film of it's kind. Count me in for watching it when it comes out, and feeling dirty about it. LOL

Full screen/HQ.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGlZrK9WYpo

mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2012 at 4:19pm
....AND I just found out they still need volunteers for the gravity nationals so WINNING again on my part! YES!
Volunteers will receive lunch, a t shirt and with enough volunteer hours, ski incentives.

Finally pulled the trigger...I LOVE THIS RIDE already!!! :D

Specialized HardRock Disc 29

Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2012 at 6:57am

Finally pulled the trigger...I LOVE THIS RIDE already!!! :D

Specialized HardRock Disc 29

Congrats! Those frames are bomb proof. Not trying to rain or anything, but if you start doing rougher trails, keep an eye on the wheel set. The wheels seem to be the only thing that wear out on that model. Although, most of the people we have come into our shop with issues with that wheel set are fatties, so you should be fine being...you know..a normal person and all. LOL

Now remember, never touch the rotors! Oh, and don't bump the rotors/set them face down on anything. Other than that you should be able to ride the piss out of that bike and have no issues. Welcome to the sweet, sweet world of 9er ownership Big smile. I will never go back to a 26 inch wheel. Never.

Now, go out and get that thing durrrty! Have fun mommehK!
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2012 at 10:17am
heheheh thanks bmw!!! :D   The only thing I'm having to get used to is the saddle height so far. I spent about 30-40mins on it yesterday. Gonna have to probably get another saddle that's a little more gel squishy.

The bike shop I used really made sure I wanted what I was going to buy -- they let me ride around for about 10-15min on each bike I rode (I also rode the women's Myka HT in a Medium & Large).

I changed up the grips on it to some Body Geometry on it that have the extra wide rest piece that are more like the Myka grips.

I was planning to go ride this afternoon - hit a 7.3mi, figure 8, mostly single track, with only about a 1k elevation gain. But it's been storming like a bish here with some of the worst thunder I've ever heard in my life.

I also need to prep the Bimmer with a cargo liner to haul it dirty...or go get a hitch mounted on it so I can use that instead.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2012 at 5:27pm
What do you mean getting used to the seat height? Have you always ridden bikes with the seat low or something.? As for a new saddle...yeah. Those seats are pretty bad. Normally I would tell someone to ride it out for a month and get used to it, but as for the seats on the hardrocks and rockhoppers) they suck. If you DO get a new seat, take a look at the Reba. It's the seat that comes on the Myka's and are one of the most popular woman specific saddles Specialized makes. My wife LOVES hers.

Any reason why you didn't go with the myka btw?

As for transportation of the bike. A rack is the way to go. Yeah they are more expensive than just putting the bike in the back of the car, but it will help in the long run with the upkeep of the bike. Especially fr a bike with disc brakes. I am running into that issue right now with my hoppy. Luckily I work in a shop and can re-true my rotors any time I want.

That sucks about the storms...dealt with the same thing today in Ohio. Pop up storms all day. Plus we still have a few trails closed due to so many trees down from the nasty storm that blasted us almost 2 weeks ago. Oh, and 1k elevation gain is pretty good. Nothing to scoff at. in comparison the trail just outside of town here, has about 100 feet of gain...Ermm..I need a new state.
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2012 at 12:17pm
I've not ridden a bike since I was a kid...where seats are low enough that you can still touch the ground with your feet while still seated. Can't do that on these 29s LOL.

The Myka felt heavier to me...and the length was just a tad short enough that I could tell a difference in the feel of my posture/stance on it versus the RS. I was just too upright on the Myka.

I'm looking at the Specialized Dolce gel saddle possibly...dunno what I'll get until I see what MotionMakers has in stock.

I'll be going to U-haul sometime this week to get a receiver hitch mounted...already have my eye on either a Yakima BigHorn4 or DoubleDown2 rack.
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 5:51pm
I get to assist with the post-race drug testing. YIPPEE.   
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 6:05pm

I get to assist with the post-race drug testing. YIPPEE.   

Bahahah...amazing. Piss handler eh? Wink What has the world come to that we have something like this? I mean, I know it's been going on for a while, but why can't people just train their ass off and do things legit? I hate the world sometimes, hahah.
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 6:07pm
I'd rather run the gate on the Dual Slalom course, but my skiing bestie gets that gig. haha I think I'm only 1 notch above porta-potty cleaner.

To what extent I'll be handling peepeeweewee I dunno. Hoping I get to be a paper pusher instead -- sign here and here and here, initial there, here's your cup, go over there.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2012 at 6:00pm
Friend of our shop shared this with us today. Had me laughing so hard I had customers looking at me weird. Some damn fine points mixed along in there as well. Long ass read, but every single one of the 91 rules are worth checking out.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ 
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2012 at 4:53am
@ batmanwest

Did you ever get around to building a bike rack for your house yet?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2012 at 6:34am
Originally posted by chillwill

@ batmanwest

Did you ever get around to building a bike rack for your house yet?

Not yet. That project got sidelined. Been shopping for a new car for the wifey, packing and planning for a weekend canoe trip next week, work, and trail building. Probably will get around to it next paycheck, and after things settle down after our canoe trip. But don't worry, I haven't forgotten about it Wink
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2012 at 7:57am
I've only made it through about a dozen of the 91 rules and was laughing exponentially!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2012 at 12:59pm

I've only made it through about a dozen of the 91 rules and was laughing exponentially!

Dude...there are some really good ones mixed in there. Quite a few joke-ish ones, but even more that are totally true and should be followed to the teeth.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 7:02am
If that's the case, BMW, we shall be expecting a photo shortly of your razor-sharp tanlines ;) lol
I got a decent burn on my upper arms during softball practice yesterday, and am riding the bike home from work today to make em all the more lobstery :D.
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 11:11am
Okay - so I got to chaperone winners from the course-end corral up to the administration building where they got to do their anti-doping whizz...so it was a "read this, sign here, and let's go!" situation. Yay!

bmw - I went ahead and got a Riva saddle and went up a size to a 155. Hoping that will help out.
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2012 at 4:29pm
Hey it's been a while. 

Nothing new or special going on.. but hey. 
Enjoy this, guys.

Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2012 at 9:26pm
So stoked that i got my girl into mtn biking recently-she rides aggressively, has fun-this way i can kill two birds with one stone
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 11:17am
That's really cool, Tim. Having a shared interest that you're both talented in really makes things easier :). I'm gonna try to get my gf into snowboarding this winter. Not to say I'm talented at that, but it'll be fun to learn/get better together :)
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 7:56am
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 4:52am
^Damn man that was crazy sick.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 8:36pm
I thought I was the Queen of free bikes... 

THIS is unbelievable:

NikolaSpee View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote NikolaSpee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2012 at 10:38pm
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2012 at 7:08am
Good post, Nikola! A coworker posted that article to me a couple days ago and i didn't even think to post it here! Way to be resourceful :)
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2012 at 7:48pm
I love my mountain bike but im starting to get the itch for a nice cannondale road bike
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 11:30am
Sooo..have put this off for a while, but I finally have the wife's bike figured out and put back together. It was finished weeks ago, but had some serious issues with bottom bracket spacing. New BB installed today, and it's good to go. Thinking about selling it though LOL

The clear coats/finish isn't as strong as I hoped it would be, and my wife is pretty hard on her bikes. Just don't think the paint will last for someone that is using it for commuting/drunken rides/locking to random metal objects. Putting a feeler out for it on the CL tonight. Maybe if someone offers just enough for it, we will let it go and get her a new upgraded bike from my shop.

Anyways, here are a few shots of the bike put together...

j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 2:53pm
That's a sick lookin finished product, BMW :). Especially dig the wheels! Does the wifey have a backup bike to use for drunken rides and whatnot?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 6:17am
Originally posted by j_lucky84

That's a sick lookin finished product, BMW :). Especially dig the wheels! Does the wifey have a backup bike to use for drunken rides and whatnot?

Thanks lucky. She has a mtn. bike as a back up, but you can't ride those around the city all the time. Not really the most efficient thing on the road ya know.

I don't know, we went for a ride last night and I was even amazed at how sick it looks at night under the street lights. BUT, I know that she can't take care of it. It has less than 100 miles on it, and she has already managed to put a few good scuffs and scrapes on the new paint. While the new paint doesn't have the strongest clear coat, she constantly leans and locks it up with either metal posts or brick rubbing against the frame.
I just don't get it. Drives me absolutely nuts. I guess she just needs something with a factory thick ass clear on it. Ermm
Those are the reasons I want to sell it. I love my wife, but she just can't take care of nice things...

carlosjj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Bam!

Quote carlosjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 8:01am
Hi everyone,
    I ride mountain bike, I've been riding for 2 years now and I currently ride a Specialized Stumpjumper Elite. I ride around the massachusetts and New Hampshire line.

-CarlosJ
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 9:01pm
Picked up a Santa Cruz Nickel a couple months ago.  Such a sweet ride!
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
misterlime View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote misterlime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2012 at 12:45pm
I'm fat bike racing this weekend. Ride a Salsa Mukluk 2, the tires are fat and the lil ol' ladies love to come up and say, "Whoa! Those are big tires!"
shredBATALEON View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
signature goggle hair

Quote shredBATALEON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2012 at 2:35pm
i ride a rocky mountain vapor mountain bike and i ride at kingdom trails and burke bike park both in east burke, vt
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2012 at 10:55am
Wow...it's been forever it feels...
How is everyone's projects coming along? There seemed to be a few started months back..hope everything is going well with them.

The shop has been consuming a shit ton of my time, and it's been rad. Been learning how to do a lot of major overhauls and repairs the past few weeks. Got to work on a sweet BMC last week. Don't remember the model, but it was pretty damn high end. Bastard didn't have cranks installed so we couldn't go ride it around after we tuned it up Wink.
My shop has a mtn. bike demo day coming up this weekend. Couldn't be more pumped. I get to ride around on thousands of dollars of top notch 2013 bikes at a local trail just outside of town. Think I am going to try out a Camber Carbon Elite 29 and a Stumpjumper Comp 29 (Both are Specialized). My Rockhopper has been treating me well the past few months on the trail, but I already want a serious upgrade. I need a fully...I need that squish! LOL Not going to jump the gun on that this year, but spring time next year I will get on it.

Been gathering a ton of parts together to get ready for sale. Such a pain in the ass. BTW, if anyone is looking for parts...let me know. I might have something you need..hahah.

Hope everyone is having a good summer of riding. Sad to say I have only just hit 1k miles for the year. Slackin. LOL
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2012 at 11:11am
My "project" is still on hold. Work and softball have been consuming the majority of my time, but softball ends this week! I'll be able to get back to other hobbies (and the gym.. i've gained 10 pounds since june! lol). Still need to replace the brake calipers on the old Schwinn (though the ones i was looking at are still not in stock), though I did upgrade the pads which has helped a bit. Next years upgrade will likely be the wheels. And one of these days I'd like to bring the bike into the semi-LBS to see if i can get a screw for the front derailleur. The max pedaling speed of 22 just ain't cuttin it!
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2012 at 12:03pm
Check out this piece of sh1t bike thief get confronted and busted.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2012 at 12:43pm
I loved that video. The OP posted it up on r/bicycling and made it quite clear that not only did he want the bike bike, they wanted his ass in jail. And it looks like it's going to happen too. 

Open admittance to possessing and selling stolen property... mmm. 
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2012 at 1:40pm
That video is great. I had a bike stolen a year ago so it's good to see the asshole who stole his get caught. Mine had a U lock on it and someone torched through it.
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2012 at 2:14pm
Here's for all you bikers out there, the inflatable helmet just what you always wanted!! Or not. All for the low price of about $600.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2012 at 3:45pm
I feel like I'm in some kind of time bubble... just saw the invisible bike helmet yesterday, too. 

You peeps...

j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2012 at 10:16am
Originally posted by RastaRider

Here's for all you bikers out there, the inflatable helmet just what you always wanted!! Or not. All for the low price of about $600.

I think I'd rather just see that chick in that outfit ride a bike.. then get the dress tangled in the chain... then see if the helmet really works. lol
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2012 at 12:25pm
I'd rather just see my bike, on a trail, getting dirty! :((
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 17>