Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biking
    Posted: Aug/17/2012 at 8:44pm
Havent been on a mtn bike ride in two weeks due to excessive heat in orange county-been over a 100 consistently
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2012 at 2:28pm
Well, just got back from my shops demo day and it was awesome! We had a huge turn out, 170 riders came out to demo. It kinda sucked because I had to wait all day to get to demo some stuff (I ride a really popular size I guess) and didn't get to ride one of the full suspension bikes I was thinking about getting next year. ALTHOUGH, I did get to ride another full suspension bike I was waffling between with the first. I took out a full carbon, S-Works Epic 29er and it was the best bike I have ever ridden. That rig was insane. Just....just insane.

I posted my best lap time on that bike today, and passed 16 other riders on a 6 mile loop of trail. I went almost as hard as I could and the bike loved it. It was so weird to ride a bike that actually felt at home being thrashed on.

The bike had the dual "brain" on it. As I am sure most or all of you don't know what that is, it's an inertia valve that Specialized has been developing over the past few years. It's pretty much an automatic lockout for both suspensions. That means almost zero petal bob in the rear, and no front end bob when standing up or climbing. The valve can actually tell if the rider is making the suspension activate, or if the trail is. What you get is a full suspension bike that handles, climbs and puts power down like a full rigid frame, but a bike that absorbs the trail like a high travel XC bike. The valve has also been tweaked so well over the past year, that the reaction time of the valve is in milliseconds.

INSANE INSANE INSANE!! I'm totally sold, and getting one next spring. Although, I probably wont be getting the model I rode (retails for 10,500 Ouch) but rather get the comp 29 or carbon 29 option sitting more around 4k (I would pay just under/around 2k).

Little pic of me just after I got done with my lap on it. The gnar was good, and the stoke was great. What a sexy, sexy bike...

Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2012 at 3:09pm
I have a Jamis Ventura Comp. Planning to upgrade the drivetrain and wheels. I really really want a downhill, freeride or all trail bike. Nothig like going downhill on Northstar's trails.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2012 at 3:33pm
What are you thinking for upgrades Muse25?

As for Mtn. bike suggestions, I personally would get a long travel trail bike. That way you can do more than just freeride/DH. Something around the 130mil travel range would work great for all kinds of XC/Trail riding, and be able to handle beginner to moderate DH stuff. OR, if you are loaded, get a separate bike for all kinds of trails! LOL
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2012 at 4:31pm
OMG bmw is that really you? Nekkid face and all...??
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2012 at 4:39pm
It is. Shaved the beard off a few days ago. Why do you ask?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2012 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by batmanwest

It is. Shaved the beard off a few days ago. Why do you ask?

Well then update your danged profile pic, you're confusing us now!!!
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2012 at 4:46pm
Never seen a pic of you without it....and thought I remembered a shaving discussion somewhere in the past few days, but didn't remember who was involved. I've been in a sick/drugged haze so I wasn't swearing to anything! LOL You look great!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2012 at 5:18pm
ctoma:I will no sir, i just simply will not! LOL
mommehK:Well...it has been damn near 10 years. I'm letting it grow out again. Can't stand this bare face shit. And thanks! Haha..

So I am making the decision. My next new bike will be a 2013 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon 29. Now it just needs to be spring, and I need to come across about 2k. LOL
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2012 at 1:23pm

What are you thinking for upgrades Muse25?

As for Mtn. bike suggestions, I personally would get a long travel trail bike. That way you can do more than just freeride/DH. Something around the 130mil travel range would work great for all kinds of XC/Trail riding, and be able to handle beginner to moderate DH stuff. OR, if you are loaded, get a separate bike for all kinds of trails! LOL

I'm thinking of upgrading my wheels of course! :) Been reading a lot of good reviews on Bike Wheel Warehouse. And I want to upgrade my shifters to 105 or ultegra, both deurailers, crank and get a bigger cassette and upgrade the brakes.....pretty much an overhaul lol but I'll do it piece by piece. Wheels first :)

You have any suggestions on Trail bikes? I'm 5'0 125lbs. I had my eye on a giant glory for downhill but someone told me it might be too heavy for me. I tried a giant faith at Northstar and LOVED it!!!! beginner to moderate DH stuff. Something that will handle the blues at Northstar but still ride around moderate Bay Area Trails.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 5:20am
Originally posted by Muse25

I'm thinking of upgrading my wheels of course! :) Been reading a lot of good reviews on Bike Wheel Warehouse. And I want to upgrade my shifters to 105 or ultegra, both deurailers, crank and get a bigger cassette and upgrade the brakes.....pretty much an overhaul lol but I'll do it piece by piece. Wheels first :)

You have any suggestions on Trail bikes? I'm 5'0 125lbs. I had my eye on a giant glory for downhill but someone told me it might be too heavy for me. I tried a giant faith at Northstar and LOVED it!!!! beginner to moderate DH stuff. Something that will handle the blues at Northstar but still ride around moderate Bay Area Trails.

What wheelset in particular are you reading good reviews about? You probably should man up and pick up a set of Mavic Ksyrium SL's Big smile. Not the best wheel in the world, but they are what we refer to around the shop as "the wheel set all over wheels are compaired to". Couple of the guys in our shop ride them and they are freaking SICK. Pretty much will be the last wheel set you need for a good 10 years...or something like that.

As for shifters, if you are waffling between 105 and Ultegra, I would say go with the new 105's. New 105 ergo is almost the same as Ultegra, at a much lower price. A few of our 2013 bikes have the new 105 on them and they are amazing. The re-design for this year is awesome.

As for suggestions for a trail bike...we all know I am going to push Specialized. I really think and "Enduro" would fit your needs really well. A very capable trail/XC bike, but has enough travel and good geometry for light-medium DH stuff. I had the chance to ride one around for a bit during our demo day and it's a pretty sick rig. Too much travel for me, but I like shorter travel bikes. I also live in Ohio, where high travel isn't really needed. 160mil of travel front and rear, a price tag that comes in under 3k (for the base) great components and an unmatched warranty on parts and lifetime on the frame. 
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 6:53am
Another gif for your viewing pleasure
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 7:06am
^Whats that guys name? I remember a friend showed me a video of him and I want to watch more but I forgot his name so if anybody knows that would be sweet.
letterandnumber View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote letterandnumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 7:33am
Originally posted by steezemisterr

^Whats that guys name? I remember a friend showed me a video of him and I want to watch more but I forgot his name so if anybody knows that would be sweet.

Danny MacAskill
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 7:48am
Pretty sure the full length vid of that series was posted here a couple pages ago.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 10:22am
Originally posted by j_lucky84

Pretty sure the full length vid of that series was posted here a couple pages ago.

It was. Name of the video is "Way Back Home". I always find it funny that it takes him so many tries to land one trick. Couldn't imagine how long it would take to edit a full video of that guy. LOL Still, IMO the best P.Bike rider out there.
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 11:47am
Thanks a lot guys. Thats actually the video that my friend showed me too. Thanks for the help.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2012 at 11:01am

Originally posted by Muse25

What wheelset in particular are you reading good reviews about? You probably should man up and pick up a set of Mavic Ksyrium SL's Big smile. Not the best wheel in the world, but they are what we refer to around the shop as "the wheel set all over wheels are compaired to". Couple of the guys in our shop ride them and they are freaking SICK. Pretty much will be the last wheel set you need for a good 10 years...or something like that.

As for shifters, if you are waffling between 105 and Ultegra, I would say go with the new 105's. New 105 ergo is almost the same as Ultegra, at a much lower price. A few of our 2013 bikes have the new 105 on them and they are amazing. The re-design for this year is awesome.

As for suggestions for a trail bike...we all know I am going to push Specialized. I really think and "Enduro" would fit your needs really well. A very capable trail/XC bike, but has enough travel and good geometry for light-medium DH stuff. I had the chance to ride one around for a bit during our demo day and it's a pretty sick rig. Too much travel for me, but I like shorter travel bikes. I also live in Ohio, where high travel isn't really needed. 160mil of travel front and rear, a price tag that comes in under 3k (for the base) great components and an unmatched warranty on parts and lifetime on the frame. 

I've been looking at the Blackset Race 11 Wheel Set:
http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/road/riders-198-or-less/blackset-race-11-wheel-set-1495g-/prod_34.html

The Mavic Ksyrium SL's are nice and I've been on the look out for a set that wont break the bank. I've seen some on ebay for around $500-600 but for the Blackset Race 11 at $350 they're worth a try :)
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2012 at 6:46am
Alllllllright. Finally done. This thing was kind of a pain in the ass to build. Did all the cutting by hand saw and chisel. Only power tool used was a cordless drill. Originally was planning on having room for 6 bikes, but scaled back a bit and made room for 5 so I could put hooks on each side for our bags, gloves, helmets, locks and so on. I used cheap ass whiteboard studs, and stained them with a red oak stain I had left over from a previous project. Ended up just using the cheap red bike hooks you can get anywhere. My shop had them, so I just EP'd them to save a few dollas. All said and done, the entire project cost just under 75 bucks. 8ft high, and 10ft long. Sticks out 28 inches. The thing is SOLID as it's pretty much wedged floor to ceiling.

j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2012 at 8:09am
Very nice work, bmw :) And i like the idea to scale it back to keep all the other biking gear close at hand :) As far as your lack of power tools.. yard sales ftw!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2012 at 8:15am

Very nice work, bmw :) And i like the idea to scale it back to keep all the other biking gear close at hand :) As far as your lack of power tools.. yard sales ftw!

Well, I have a small table saw that can do angles, and a circular saw...and a jig, but in the end I really feel like using the hand saw was the easiest route for me. One day I'll have a big ass garage decked to the gills for a proper wood working shop.

Thanks though! Will have to see what the wife thinks when she gets back into town tonight.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2012 at 6:14pm
One of my favorite roads in town got repaved this morning. It's a 3/4 mile road that winds through a ravine with a slight downhill the entire way, with a sharp uphill in the last tenth of a mile. So much fun to sprint down. So much fun in fact, I am putting on a sprint race down it at the end of next month. We had one last time the road was repaved almost 7 years ago. Can't wait, going to be an epic race.

So far I already have 17 people signed up to race. Going to do heats of 4 to 6 people, and take it from there.
Went out tonight to do some laps, as it has been about a year since I rode it. So freaking smooth! Did 4 laps (Sprint down, cool down ride back up, repeat) and topped out at 31mph flat, with a time of 1:44 for .78 of a mile. Need to be able to hit 33 at bottom of the first "hill" and have a time of around 1:40 flat to possibly take first. Who knows though, a ton of my friends have been racing and training a lot lately, who knows how beastly they are now! LOL
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2012 at 7:34pm
That sounds like a blast! Glad you're able to get a buncha people together to do things like that! I can barely rally more than 4 people to go out n throw a football on any given weekend. Win or lose, you'll have a good day :)
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2012 at 9:52pm
That road sounds like a dream. You would love the Auburn canyon. It's three miles of twisty downhill, followed by a solid climb three miles uphill. Take the lane and you'll just fly.  I'll see if I can find any video. 

Hell, we have great dirt trails too! I need to get back out there. 
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2012 at 9:52pm

Alllllllright. Finally done. This thing was kind of a pain in the ass to build. Did all the cutting by hand saw and chisel. Only power tool used was a cordless drill. Originally was planning on having room for 6 bikes, but scaled back a bit and made room for 5 so I could put hooks on each side for our bags, gloves, helmets, locks and so on. I used cheap ass whiteboard studs, and stained them with a red oak stain I had left over from a previous project. Ended up just using the cheap red bike hooks you can get anywhere. My shop had them, so I just EP'd them to save a few dollas. All said and done, the entire project cost just under 75 bucks. 8ft high, and 10ft long. Sticks out 28 inches. The thing is SOLID as it's pretty much wedged floor to ceiling.

Awesome! That turned out very nice. Thumbs Up  Did the wifey give it her stamp of approval?

Looks waaay better than most of the unfinished hand made bike racks I've seen.

The Christmas lights are a nice touch. LOL
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2012 at 11:55pm
bmw your rack system is super boss! ...and your Specialized makes me drool. LOL
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 8:00am
Originally posted by mommehK

bmw your rack system is super boss! ...and your Specialized makes me drool. LOL

Thanks dude!
Which Specialized are you talking about? There ARE three in that picture.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 11:24am

Thanks dude!
Which Specialized are you talking about? There ARE three in that picture.

Probably the Rockhopper 29er. I was sitting in the shop this last week and, my god, those things are MONSTERS in person. Pictures will never do them real justice. 
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 12:24pm
Dudette, dear!    and YES the Rockhopper! (didn't say RH at 5am this morning when I posted because my eyes were pretty much crossed by then) Shooey's right, pictures really don't do them justice. I had to wipe up drool over the one displayed at my local store...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 12:52pm
Right on. It's a Rockhopper comp 29 btw....not just a hopper 29LOL

Yeah, it's okay, already have out grown what it can do for me. Can't wait to get my Epic next year!

29's are pretty big. They seem monstrous at first, and almost so big you have to wonder why anyone would ride one. But I will never go back to 26 inches again. Just makes total sense out on the trail.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 12:53pm
What blew my mind is that my freaking inseam is a 29, so I felt quite intimidated just standing next to it. They have the seat up for six footers (the "show stance" I call it), which doesn't help anything. I'd need to carry a footstool to the trail head to ride the darn thing... LOL
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by LittleShooey

What blew my mind is that my freaking inseam is a 29, so I felt quite intimidated just standing next to it. They have the seat up for six footers (the "show stance" I call it), which doesn't help anything. I'd need to carry a footstool to the trail head to ride the darn thing... LOL

Well, I know that I am a Specialized hussy but when it comes to their 9er tech, it's pretty unmatched out there. Especially with their "woman" specific 9ners. They are able to keep the inseam height low, while still having 29 inch wheels. You should go sit on a 9er frame that is within your frame size. Think you might be surprised.

The brand Niner is also doing great things for the 9er world of mountain bikes...or at least that is what I hear. I have never ridden one, but know a few who have, and they swear by them. Moots is also another brand doing super cool things with larger wheel sizes.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 2:09pm
I'm the kind of person that, once I start testing stuff out, I'm going to obsess about getting one until it happens. Hell or high water. Thanks for the tip on the smaller frames, though!

I'm happy to stare through the glass for a couple more years. 
MtMansfield View Drop Down
Local
Local
up at holiday valley

Quote MtMansfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 2:14pm
I'm looking for some input on a new bike to get for myself. I don't do any serious riding now just looking to upgrade a bike that has been grown out of years ago. Looking for a road type bike that's not too expensive to get into the sport, but something that will last. Six foot, 190, athletic build, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 2:15pm

I'm happy to stare through the glass for a couple more years. 

Noooo!!! You totally should go get a decently nice trail bike and go have some fun. I know how you like playing in the dirt, so just suck it up, go to the dealer and tell them you want a Specialized Fate, or maybe a Jett and rip it girl!!

If your profile info correct, you should be a on 15 inch frame for mtn bikes...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 2:25pm
Oh hell that Jett looks sweet. 

..So what you're telling me is to ignore the F4i and go for another bike as a grad present for myself? Well, it would be half the price... 

You're feeding a serious n+1 complex here. Big smile

Originally posted by MtMansfield

I'm looking for some input on a new bike to get for myself. I don't do any serious riding now just looking to upgrade a bike that has been grown out of years ago. Looking for a road type bike that's not too expensive to get into the sport, but something that will last.

What are you upgrading from? Price range? New/used preference?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by MtMansfield

I'm looking for some input on a new bike to get for myself. I don't do any serious riding now just looking to upgrade a bike that has been grown out of years ago. Looking for a road type bike that's not too expensive to get into the sport, but something that will last. Six foot, 190, athletic build, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

A rough estimate of what your budget is would help out dramatically.

For the Specialized brand I would say to pick up a "Secteur". It's an endurance based geometry road bike, that comes in with a base model price of just over 800. Carbon fork, smooth ride, lifetime warranty on the frame, and decent components for a base model. For 2013 they have also released two disc braked options for it as well, which is kind of cool IMO. If you want something for putzing around town and on a budget, but still want a big name brand bike, check out the Specialized "Sirrus". Flat bar road bike, more of an up right stance, and base comes in right around 500.

Bianchi makes some pretty damn good bikes too. Not as nice as when they used to be Italian made, but the new factory in Twain is pumping out a pretty solid frame.

Giant makes an alright bike as well. Not as much tech dumped into theirs as compared to other bikes just above their  price point, but still road worthy non the less.

Trek makes a bike similar to the Specialized Sirrus. It's called the "FX" and offers a ton of models within it's class. As for Treks road bikes, take a look at the new Aluminum "Madone". While I really...really hate Bontrager branded components, in the long run they aren't that bad, and the Madone frame is pretty damn good.

Just with most snowboard gear, if you have a decent local bike shop, go check them out and have them run you through their bikes. Go take some for test rides. Being 6 ft, you want to start looking at frame sizes of around a 58cm. This might change slightly, as different brands, use slightly different geometry and some don't have odd numbers, some don't have even. But around a 58 is what I would put you on first to determine size if you came into my shop. The most important thing is finding a bike that not only fits you vertically, but laterally (reach to the handle bars). Nothing ruins the day more, than a bike that doesn't fit.

So...determine what you feel comfortable spending on a bike, and look into what brands are being represented in your area, and get back to me/us. I am more than welcome to offer more info, and answer questions if you want.
Happy hunting!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 2:41pm

Oh hell that Jett looks sweet. 

..So what you're telling me is to ignore the F4i and go for another bike as a grad present for myself? Well, it would be half the price... 

You're feeding a serious n+1 complex here. Big smile

Well..the choice is yours, and a hard one at that. That F4 is sweet, but so is mountain biking. And if you went with the mtn. bike, you not only would be saving money, but helping your health as well!

Sorry n+1 LOL
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 3:23pm

Por que no las dos? I'd be unstoppable!

I want to add that the fact I found the same Honda bike with the rack just blows my mind. Did not set that up! Thumbs Up

mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 4:07pm

What blew my mind is that my freaking inseam is a 29, so I felt quite intimidated just standing next to it. They have the seat up for six footers (the "show stance" I call it), which doesn't help anything. I'd need to carry a footstool to the trail head to ride the darn thing...

Now you know how I feel with my Hardrock! It's a 29...the shop set the seat where they said it should be. Standing next to it, the seat height is a good 5" higher than my inseam. Trying to decide to leave it there and get used to it, or drop it down some.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 4:41pm
When it comes to seat height, the most important thing is your knee bend angle while riding. If the shop set it up for you at purchase, more than likely it is in the optimum position for efficient riding. When on the bike (riding) and either petal is fully extended DOWN, your leg should be almost straight, with just a slight bend in the knee.

It does feel a little weird at first to ride like this if you never have before, but not only is this the best way to get the most out of each petal stroke, but if you have a ton of bend in your leg while pedaling it can lead to numerous issues of pain down the road. 
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 9:25pm
Yep they set it up optimally...and YES it's a pain to get used to.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 9:56pm
i went mtn biking today in 100 degree heat-not worth it. im ready for winter to come
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2012 at 7:40pm
So I have to tell you something I'm actually really excited about! A historic signing ceremony was held tonight in Asheville, NC with the Pisgah Area IMBA-SORBA chapter and the US Forestry Service - Pisgah Ranger District.

The USFS Pisgah Ranger District has been working with Pisgah Area SORBA to develop a Sponsored Volunteer Agreement (SVA) for trail maintenance work on District Trails. With help from the USFS Region office and SORBA, this agreement lessens the paperwork needed to volunteer, and opens opportunities for more participation.

Basically, in order to volunteer for trail work before, a volunteer had to sign an Individual Volunteer Agreement directly with the USFS. It also opens up the number of days a week work could be done (increased from 4 to 7), increased the number of hours a day trail work could be done, and also puts the liability into the hands of the USFS (approved volunteers become USFS employees by proxy basically, so any mishaps/accidents are covered by them).

Here's the cool part: We're basically the guinea pigs! LOL Seriously though...this is a program launch that -- if successful in the next year -- will be implemented across the whole freaking rest of the US (and will be expanded 5 years here). Our trail system here is phenom, and even includes an Experimental Forest area, and can truly be the model district across the US for volunteering. (Just in 2011 over 350 people volunteered over 47,000 hours here...at a cost basis to the USFS of $21.59/hr!)

If you're a MTBer, and not a member of your local IMBA-SORBA chapter, I highly recommend it. If you love biking, and love the trails you ride, then take an extra step to help conserve/plan/maintain/expand those trails.   
ShredDatPow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ShredDatPow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 1:47pm
Does anyone have any tips for a BMX rider on how to really increase the distance I get on my manuals. I can do them easy but just not anymore that 5-10 feet. I really want to make them longer so I can manual over things longer than 5-10 feet.
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by ShredDatPow

Does anyone have any tips for a BMX rider on how to really increase the distance I get on my manuals. I can do them easy but just not anymore that 5-10 feet. I really want to make them longer so I can manual over things longer than 5-10 feet.

Most common mistake is people are afraid to lean farther back and thats why they are so short, so maybe try that
ShredDatPow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ShredDatPow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 1:24am
Originally posted by kyle521

Originally posted by ShredDatPow

Most common mistake is people are afraid to lean farther back and thats why they are so short, so maybe try that

I think that I will try that. Thanks
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 2:21pm
Well that was a shitty end to a perfectly fine bike ride this afternoon....

Got out of work early as I was covering a co-workers shift until he got out of the doctor, then left from the shop around 2 for a ride. Planned on doing a 30 mile loop of the city. Headed north with the wind and had a great average speed. Stopped at a gas station right before the bike path picked up to take me home and got a 40oz of the high life. Rode on the path another 8 miles or so and stopped at a little park off the beaten path to drink said 40 down by the river. This required me to ride on a little dirt path for about 100 yards to get to the river. Even though on was on my road bike, it was nothing new, as I have done this hundreds of times. Drank the 40, watched some birds, skipped some stones then decided I should head home. In the last 10 yards of the path I apparently ran over a stick and it flew into my wheel/chain/derailleur. Snapped the derailleur hanger in half leaving me with a non functioning bike roughly 10 miles from home. Ended up having to cut my chain down to size, take the derailleur off, and make my geared bike into a single speed.
Since I didn't have anything to align/tension the chain, it popped up my cassette to a higher gear and had the most amount of chain tension in the history of bikes. Seriously...it was so tight that you couldn't spin the cranks...that kind of tight. I have never been so worn out in my life at the end of a ride. Now I need a new chain, hanger, shift cable. Possibly might need a new derailleur and cassette. Worse case situation it's going to cost me about 40 bucks, worse case just over 200.

Time for a drink AngryDead
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 7:54am
A 30 mile ride is perdy darn good! But now it sounds like ya shoulda saved that 40 for when ya got home! That sounds awful though, dude! I've rode some over-tensioned chains before and I know the hell it can be! (though i didn't have the need to ride 10 miles.. yikes!) I'm glad you had equipment with ya so ya didnt have to hoof it home. But mostly hopin you can get out of it for the cheaper of those two estimates.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 10:47am

A 30 mile ride is perdy darn good! But now it sounds like ya shoulda saved that 40 for when ya got home! That sounds awful though, dude! I've rode some over-tensioned chains before and I know the hell it can be! (though i didn't have the need to ride 10 miles.. yikes!) I'm glad you had equipment with ya so ya didnt have to hoof it home. But mostly hopin you can get out of it for the cheaper of those two estimates.

I don't really blame it on the beer, I blame it on me always wanting to push all my bikes past their limits.
I have found over the year that it is extremely important to carry certain tools with me wherever I go. It sucks to be stuck miles out from home, with no way to "limp" your bike back. After looking at things a little more today, it kind of seems like my drive side crank is slightly bent. No way to totally tell until I get a chain bolted up and try it out. Dear god I hope the crank is fine. It's one of the nicest things on my bike LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>