Biking

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 1213141516 17>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biking
    Posted: Feb/25/2013 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Muse25

Hey Batmanwest, what suspension fork can you recommend at the $150 range. Mostly all mtn. Riding, nothing too crazy, no drops. Some single tracks and something that would eat up roots.

Well, that's a hard one. 150 isn't much for a fork. With the region you live in, and the style of riding you want to do, mixed with your rider weight, you want something that is air sprung. Something you can tune. In my book, when it comes to a mtn. built, fork is one of the highest priorities for me to get quality.
If you want something that is going to last, ride well and make you want to keep riding, I would go with a RockShox Recon Silver or higher fork (in the rockshox line). Fox makes some great stuff too, but if you are on a budget don't even bother looking over at their stuff, just gonna make you sad LOL

A new Recon Silver is going to run you right around 250 I think.

You can go with a coil sprung fork, but I really think you are not going to be happy in the long run (or right away) being a light weight rider. I think it's going to be a pretty rough ride for you going coil sprung because you will not have enough weight to get full use out of your forks travel. With air sprung, you can tune it to your weight so it takes less to initiate travel, and get full actuation.

Sorry if this complicated things a bit more for ya haha. How has the build been going? Sorry I never got around with ideas, I kinda lost track and got caught up in my own builds and projects around here. I might actually be the owner of a brand spankin new full suspension trail bike in the next week or two...keepin those fingers crossed!! :)

EDIT: This person is selling a "new" Recon silver 120 mil fork for 175. Keep in mind it is from ebay....and there is no one to help you if something isn't right with it. Most shops will cut you a deal on install of a new fork if you buy it from them. Might cost you a tad more, but you have warm bodies to back it up if something goes wrong.
Either way, here is the link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300848624717?hlp=false&var=
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2013 at 8:01pm
I have a 1.5 to 1 1/8 headset though. Any way around it? Like ise an adaptor? What do you think of rockshox tora tl a guy on pinkbike is willin to sell for $90 might be able to talk him down to $80 and what are your thoughts on avid 1 elixir and avid bb5 brakes? The build was put on hold for a little bit, but back on track now.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2013 at 6:05am

I have a 1.5 to 1 1/8 headset though. Any way around it? Like ise an adaptor? What do you think of rockshox tora tl a guy on pinkbike is willin to sell for $90 might be able to talk him down to $80 and what are your thoughts on avid 1 elixir and avid bb5 brakes? The build was put on hold for a little bit, but back on track now.

First and foremost, if you have a tapered head tube, in no way do you want to try and go around that with spacers....having a tapered head tube is a blessing! Yeah, parts for it will cost you more, but they really stiffen up your front end and make for a much nicer ride. Stick with a fork that has the 1.5 to 1 1/8.

My thoughts on the Tora? It's a very basic shock designed for beginners at a budgeted price. Does it do what it was intended to do well? Yes. Would I ever buy one (even before I got my job in a shop)? No. Too basic for my needs. That being said the fork on my rockhopper is worse than the tora. I make it work, but I am never happy with it. It's one of the areas of my bike that I always have hated how it worked.
If you are going out and go do some very basic smooth trails, with no drops, and not much climbing, then yeah, get the tora. If that isn't the case, get something air sprung! Big smile

So, lets talk brakes.

I'll start with the bb5's. If you are thinking of going mechanical, spend the what, 20 extra bucks? for the bb7's. BB5 are okay, but IMO have heat displacement issues. Even if you change to organic alloy backed pads, they hold too much heat. Also, after a bit of use and banging around they get a little hard to set proper tension on them. Just not the smoothest set out there. Now if you wanted to put them on a city commuter where you don't have much elevation change, and don't ride them as hard as you would on the trail, they are a fine brake system. But once again in my opinion, they are not a good trail brake.

BB7's can be a good entry level trail system. As far as mechanical goes, BB7's are my favorite. Very budgeted price for what you get. Easy to maintain and can take a beating. Does have some heat displacement issues though and can get a little loud.

Now onto the avids. My bike came with elixir 1's on it. I rode a full season with those on my rig. They stop pretty decent even at my heavy weight (200 lbs) When the pads wear evenly and maintain a solid pull feel. There really doesn't seem to be any fade issues with them...well, unless you ride really hard. BUT, they are very noisy. The rotors that come with them go out of true very fast. They are a pretty high maintenance system. Really though, they are LOUD. That, and I had a ton of vibration from them that transferred into the frame, making for a pretty rough ride.

If you want to get into hydro brakes but don't have a ton of money to sink into them, then go with the elixir 1's. There really isn't a better solution to a budgeted hydro. Magura are pretty decent, but have heard the same issues with their lower and mid level stuff. Hayes are junk, so don't bother with them.

Hope that helps, shoot out any other questions ya have! It's fun for me Wink
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2013 at 8:20am
Always enjoy your posts, BMW. :) Just wish I made a wage more than a couple peanuts so I could put use to some of your suggestions. lol
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2013 at 8:50am
Originally posted by j_lucky84

Always enjoy your posts, BMW. :) Just wish I made a wage more than a couple peanuts so I could put use to some of your suggestions. lol

Embarrassed Shucks, thanks man! I just really like to talk about bikes, and it helps that I work in the industry.

And shit...I wish I made a wage more than a few peanuts so I could put to use some of my OWN suggestions LOL

Although, I am putting my financing request in today at work to see if I can get a new trail bike. Gonna try and pick up one of these.... http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/camberfsr/cambercomp29

Wish I could opt for the Comp CARBON 29, rather than just the comp 29. The comp carbon is just too big of a jump in price for me. Doesn't really matter though, the standard comp is just fine for my needs, they really re-worked this bike for 2013 in such a sick way. The older years used to be pretty sub-par, but the 13's are SICK! Plus, I have a set of Avid XO Trail's to replace the low end brakes on this thing. Crossing my fingers that my credit is good enough that I get approved.....
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2013 at 10:25am
Originally posted by batmanwest

Embarrassed Shucks, thanks man! I just really like to talk about bikes, and it helps that I work in the industry.

And shit...I wish I made a wage more than a few peanuts so I could put to use some of my OWN suggestions LOL

Although, I am putting my financing request in today at work to see if I can get a new trail bike. Gonna try and pick up one of these.... http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/camberfsr/cambercomp29

Wish I could opt for the Comp CARBON 29, rather than just the comp 29. The comp carbon is just too big of a jump in price for me. Doesn't really matter though, the standard comp is just fine for my needs, they really re-worked this bike for 2013 in such a sick way. The older years used to be pretty sub-par, but the 13's are SICK! Plus, I have a set of Avid XO Trail's to replace the low end brakes on this thing. Crossing my fingers that my credit is good enough that I get approved.....

They're both sexy bikes, but yikes! (heh, i rhyme) 1200 bucks difference in price! The price difference alone is like 4x more than i can afford to spend on a bike lol. Haven't seen much posted on craigslist lately either. but I keep looking!
Also!! My semi-LBS (30 miles away) is having their 20 year anniversary next month, and are putting on a sale to celebrate. I've never visited it, but I can't think of a better time to start!

Have ya already applied to finance the comp 29? (good luck either way!)

Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2013 at 1:19pm
You're awesome batmanwest!!! Ok, I'll gun for the Avid elixirs and stay away from the bb5. What about roxkshox sektor tk? Saw on on eBay for around $200.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2013 at 2:08pm

You're awesome batmanwest!!! Ok, I'll gun for the Avid elixirs and stay away from the bb5. What about roxkshox sektor tk? Saw on on eBay for around $200.
Or Rockshox Reba or the domain?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 5:04am

Or Rockshox Reba or the domain?

Meh, if you say so Tongue

So I  am getting a tad confused with this one. You seem to be all over the map with your travel. The Domain is a downhill fork. 160 mil of travel is the lowest that fork goes, and that is a TON of movement. The frame you have actually never came with more than a 130mil fork. Personally, I wouldn't go higher than what the bike came with, but sometimes you can go up 10% of fork travel and not mess with handling.

I can't remember, so you have the Komodo 1.0 or the 2.0?

The sektor tk is a nice budgeted beginner/intermediate fork with a ton of trickle down tech from their higher end forks. The secktor does have a tapered option, and a solo air option. I would go with the 130mil version. What model/spec was the one on ebay? Actually, rather you mind sending me the link so I could take a look at it? I will say, the price tag on the sektor is pretty nice. For everything you can get with it, it is definitely a value.

Now for the Reba. That is one of my favorite forks made by rockshox, the SID being my fav. It's light weight, has some amazing tech built in, and is extremely tunable. It's also quite easy to overhaul. Plus, it comes ready for a remote lockout setup which is pretty damn cool. A little bit lower on the travel side, but the tech they use for dampening and rebound is so good you can ride a lower travel but have it feel better (and work better) than a higher travel, lower tech fork.

Hope this helps. Let me know any other questions!

Oh, and financing didn't get sent last night, but going to do it today when I get to work....stillllllll crossing my fingers LOL
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 9:41am
Gettin really stoked to visit the bike store on Saturday. Really hopin' they have some last-year models lyin around that would be cheap and worth pickin up :). Ill see if i can take some notes and get a lil input from ya before the sale next week, BMW.
DiRtDeViL View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DiRtDeViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 9:47am
At that price range you're looking at a sub par fork, for around 450 you can get a nice fork.

Have a Suntour Radion 100mm 29" 1 1/8" taken of a Giant Talon 1 at home doing nothing, if interested can sell it for $50 plus shipping.
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 11:03am
My bro in law is looking to get in the bike scene, he set me up with the ultimate challenge. He wants an alluminum road bike for $400. Confused Found some framesets in the $99-199 range but this is going to be tough sleddin. Only way I see it happening is if he gets a relatively older bike or push that budget up to 500ish
DiRtDeViL View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DiRtDeViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 11:09am
Originally posted by diviesti

My bro in law is looking to get in the bike scene, he set me up with the ultimate challenge. He wants an alluminum road bike for $400. Confused Found some framesets in the $99-199 range but this is going to be tough sleddin. Only way I see it happening is if he gets a relatively older bike or push that budget up to 500ish

Ebay or Craiglist it and you may find an aluminum frame with carbon fork and entry level 9spd parts; don't expect anything recent thou.
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by DiRtDeViL

Originally posted by diviesti

Ebay or Craiglist it and you may find an aluminum frame with carbon fork and entry level 9spd parts; don't expect anything recent thou.

Ebay is the only chance I've got, its almost turned into an intense scavenger hunt. I'm thinking if I can bump him to $550 I'll just sell him my allez 105 components and just finish changing my bike to full Ultegra.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 12:22pm
Here you go BMW http://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/1249094/ he says its a 150 travel but can adjust it to 130 and 100 :)

I gotta find the Reba link
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2013 at 8:52pm

they have some last-year models lyin around that would be cheap and worth pickin up :). Ill see if i can take some notes and get a lil input from ya before the sale next week, BMW.

Most shops will have a few year old bikes sitting around. The big question is if those bikes are in your size range.
What kind of dealer are they lucky? Name of the place (so I can do some snooping Wink) what brands do they sell....you don't have to to "take notes" if you don't want to. I am MORE than happy to try and answer the questions ANYONE has here...but I bet the people at that shop know what they are doing. I guess there is always the possibility that they don't, and it's usually good to double check all your resources, but I hope no one takes me as the Bible of bike knowledge. That is this guy---> http://sheldonbrown.com/blog/ .......

Originally posted by DiRtDeViL

At that price range you're looking at a sub par fork, for around 450 you can get a nice fork.

Have a Suntour Radion 100mm 29" 1 1/8" taken of a Giant Talon 1 at home doing nothing, if interested can sell it for $50 plus shipping

What price range are you talking about for the sub par fork? Which is a sub par fork?
At 450 you totally can get a nice fork!! I still think you get can get a decent air sprung fork for 200 if you look long enough, and know how to instal everything yourself.
That radion isn't that great of a fork though. For 50 bucks (as long as shipping wasn't more than 15 or so) it's a good deal, but I think Ms. Muse has allocated more than that for her build (and should totally spend more than that IMO).

Originally posted by Diviesti

That is a pretty tall order, but can be done I guess. Just comes down to how much you think he will ride. What will be his longest ride he wants to do, so on and so on...

As Mr. DirtDevil says, don't expect anything new (I would guess you already knew that). What are these framesets you talk about that are at that price...? Interested to see who is making them.

Here you go BMW http://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/1249094/ he says its a 150 travel but can adjust it to 130 and 100 :)

Hard to tell condition in that photo. Dunno if it's just the link you sent to me, but I can't see shit LOL
That seems like a good price, but without seeing clear, hi-res photos it's hard to tell. Still don't think I would go with that fork if it were my rig and I lived in your region, but what do I know, I a farking bike snob Wink

So my financing got turned down. Pretty weak sauce, but it is what it is. Should only take me a month to save the cash and hell, it's still a tad cold and wet here so I can't ride anyways for another month or so.
It's giving me time to tear down the hopper and prep it for sale. Did that after my shift today so....time to snap off some pictures and make the advert. yeah, so....anyone want to buy a mountain bike? Wink
DiRtDeViL View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DiRtDeViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2013 at 7:04am
Here's the MTBR review page for your reading pleasure, RS Sektor R

That's an OEM fork and if not wrong was made during the time that RS had quality issues with their forks, most manufacturers go thru this periods from time to time so don't be scared.

I would look for something else like the Reba or Totem if you like RS.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2013 at 6:12pm

they have some last-year models lyin around that would be cheap and worth pickin up :). Ill see if i can take some notes and get a lil input from ya before the sale next week, BMW.

Most shops will have a few year old bikes sitting around. The big question is if those bikes are in your size range.
What kind of dealer are they lucky? Name of the place (so I can do some snooping Wink) what brands do they sell....you don't have to to "take notes" if you don't want to. I am MORE than happy to try and answer the questions ANYONE has here...but I bet the people at that shop know what they are doing. I guess there is always the possibility that they don't, and it's usually good to double check all your resources, but I hope no one takes me as the Bible of bike knowledge. That is this guy---> http://sheldonbrown.com/blog/ .......
So my financing got turned down. Pretty weak sauce, but it is what it is. Should only take me a month to save the cash and hell, it's still a tad cold and wet here so I can't ride anyways for another month or so.
It's giving me time to tear down the hopper and prep it for sale. Did that after my shift today so....time to snap off some pictures and make the advert. yeah, so....anyone want to buy a mountain bike? Wink

I've checked out sheldon's site before :) pretty good stuff! Finding stuff in my size would certainly be the biggest issue. The store's site is: http://www.scottscycleandsports.com/ though they don't post inventory. Kinda a bummer!
Sorry your financing app got turned down.. but if it's only gonna take ya a month to scrape the cash together, you're in good shape!
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2013 at 7:15am
Its just some cheap off brand named Gravity with a kinesis fork. A guy I know locally has one and the quality seems decent.

rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2013 at 11:41am
Shipped my trek district to phoenix for next week, bikeflights.com is the deal for shipping, got a bike box from a local shop (free) and fedex handled it well (we'll see tomorrow when I land). Excited to bike Phoenix for some spring training baseball!

go rox
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2013 at 12:02pm
Anybody riden the Airborne Goblin 29er?
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2013 at 4:24pm

Hard to tell condition in that photo. Dunno if it's just the link you sent to me, but I can't see shit LOL
That seems like a good price, but without seeing clear, hi-res photos it's hard to tell. Still don't think I would go with that fork if it were my rig and I lived in your region, but what do I know, I a farking bike snob Wink

[/QUOTE]

Sorry bout the financing BMW, but at least it won't take long to get the ca$h. What rig are you trying to get again? LOL oh and if you are willing to part with your fork and if it fits my komodo, let me know! lol
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2013 at 9:07am
Ended up missing the trip to the bike shop yesterday. The friend i was gonna mob over with got a flu that's been going around town, so it was better for him to rest up.
Ended up going boarding with some friends instead. Shitty snow conditions, but the weather was uber nice.
Still need to find me a bike, but browsing the bike store is gonna have to wait til sale day, i guess.
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2013 at 4:05am
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2013 at 1:04pm
I love my job. I get to demo this for the weekend. It's the bike I am saving up for..2013 Specialized Camber Comp 29. Our flagship location in town got a fleet of camber demo bikes, and I get first rides! Big smile Just set up the suspension a few minutes ago..
Going to go ride some trails with the guys from my shop in the morning. Can't wait to have my ass handed to me LOL

j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 11:41am
That's a pretty lookin bike, BMW :).

A bit of an update... I hit up Scott's cycles yesterday for their 20-yr anniversary shindig. Rode a Bianchi Nirone7 C2C and a Jamis Ventura (not sure whether it was the race/comp/. The Jamis was a nice lil bike and I enjoyed the Tiagra components. The C2C had Sora, which taught me why most people complain about the shifting mechanism. Who decided that was smart positioning, anyway?!
Both bikes had a sale price of $700 (the Jamis was a used model) and come with a year of free tuneups and whatnot, but with medical bills still in the wake, I couldn't justify dropping that kinda cash at this point in time.
The guys were really nice though, and I'll be sure to drop by again when i pay off some of the docs :)

Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 2:19pm
Are you talking about the thumb trigger on the sora? If so, you really should check out the 2013 line up. They really re-worked their line up for 2013, Sora in particular. If you get the chance, give em a spin. Got rid of the thumb shifting, and upgraded the internals. Not as nice as my Ultegra by any means, but a definite leap forward.

Oh, and it IS a nice bike. Rode the piss out of it all day yesterday. While I am terribly out of shape, I feel like it put it through enough paces to get a good first opinion on it.
The trails we rode have a TON of climbing (did close to 7k ft of climbing yesterday Dead) and even though the bike is a slightly longer travel XC with a slightly "slacker" geometry, it likes to climb. The new FSR rear end with an updated Horst link just plain and simple works. It can get a little "bobby" while climbing rutted/rooted steep stuff, but nothing too bad.

The first trail we went to had three...."downhill"....trails leading down from the highest part of the XC trail. Now, I say "downhill" because this IS still Ohio we are talking about. So maybe 200/300 ft of elevation change, and quite short, but damn some of the sections were pretty damn steep with lots of little (1-2 ft) rock drops scattered all through it. Banked corners though which are always fun. This bike is by no means a DH bike, and by no means was I on real DH trails, but what I put it through it seemed to like. Tracked every line I gave it really well, and handled all the rocks with ease. Thing also has some decent brakes on it. They are only Elixir 3R's, but the rotors are HUGE and they hold some pretty nice stopping power.

The original rear derailleur that came with the bike had a faulty clutch in it, so Sram just had us put one of their new XO's on it. Also has the "chain slap" clutch in it. Actuation was nice, although when in my lowest two gears in the rear, shifting was a bit too slow for me. It also didn't like to shift while under climbing tension....which really you shouldn't be doing anyways, but for something as high end as XO I just assumed it would take it. Still worked just not as smooth as expected. The clutch was, well, clutch when it came to descents. Never heard or felt any chain slap.

The new 142+ rear end they put on this thing was awesome. Really stiffened the bike up from past years. I found myself playfully sliding the rear end around corners, probably more than I should of, but it was just fun. That and power transfer was noticeably better as well.
Overall, with just a few upgrades (lighter or carbon wheelset, carbon bars, a dropper post, and carbon cranks) this rig could hang with the best of the highest of the highest end bikes out there...at a fraction of the price. Yes, 2600 msrp is a lot for most people, but for what you get in this bike it's my pick of best bang for your buck in the Specialized lineup. Can't wait till I get mine, and can really stretch it's legs. 2/3's of the way saved up for it...just another 500ish and I can place the order. I got the fever, and it getting up to 70 today didn't help Big smile

EDIT: Oh, there was one thing I really didn't like about the bike. While it was pretty soupy on the trails we rode, there was an abnormally high buildup of mud directly onto the front derailleur. That, and with how it's fashioned to the bike, caused for a sloppy feel in shifting towards the end of the day. Granted, most of the time I will ride the bike it won't be near that muddy, but still, if I lived in a climate that had wetter trails I would try and find a way to "fender" that small area. Nothing currently on the market that I know of that would solve the problem, but mtn. bikers are usually resourceful, I bet someone could figure something out.

j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 2:53pm

Are you talking about the thumb trigger on the sora? If so, you really should check out the 2013 line up. They really re-worked their line up for 2013, Sora in particular. If you get the chance, give em a spin. Got rid of the thumb shifting, and upgraded the internals. Not as nice as my Ultegra by any means, but a definite leap forward.

Yes I was talking about the thumb trigger. I didn't see any of the '13 Sora components at the bike shop.
After a quick bit of googling, i found this picture:

That looks like a SIGNIFICANT upgrade from that god awful thumb trigger. I'll certainly keep an eye out for that.

Even though that bike shop is a pretty small place, I found the variety in what they carried to be sorely limited. They had a number of the same bikes in different sizes (the bianchi for example), but they list that they sell far more brands than I saw on the floor. I was really hoping to see more.
I get what you're saying about being out of shape, though! I took each bike for just a 1/2 mile test spin yesterday and broke a sweat. Felt fat as ($*@ lol. Sounds like ya had a fun day though :).
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 4:39am
Looking for a entry level Mountain bike. I just want to ride some trails any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
DiRtDeViL View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DiRtDeViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 5:41am
Originally posted by woodhomie1996

Looking for a entry level Mountain bike. I just want to ride some trails any suggestions.

What's your budget? If is under 1k check the Giant Talon line, nice specs, 29er for under a grand on most shops. Also Scott, Trek and Specialized have models on that price range.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 5:59am
Not really sure what my budget is yet, I just was thinking that I need a mountain bike so I wanted to see what the biking people of TruSnow had to suggest.
I will look into those companies, thanks!
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 9:43am
Originally posted by woodhomie1996

Not really sure what my budget is yet, I just was thinking that I need a mountain bike so I wanted to see what the biking people of TruSnow had to suggest.
I will look into those companies, thanks!

Don't forget to check out craigslist :). You could likely get a hell of a deal on a lightly used setup. People buy entry level bikes all the time then decide they wanna upgrade soon. Not trying to take business away from your LBS, but you could very well get more bike for your money that way.
DiRtDeViL View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DiRtDeViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 9:55am

Don't forget to check out craigslist :). You could likely get a hell of a deal on a lightly used setup. People buy entry level bikes all the time then decide they wanna upgrade soon. Not trying to take business away from your LBS, but you could very well get more bike for your money that way.

Agree, I sold a well maintained Giant NRS1 for $400 and traded a Giant Reign X1 for a 29er a couple of months ago on Craigslist.
DiRtDeViL View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DiRtDeViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 10:00am
This is what my kid and I ride, 2011 Giant Talon 1's with several improvements; his is the one with the black fork.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 10:45am
I was thinking of checkign out Clist soon, there is also a swap at the local velodrome coming up so I might wait and look there
Thanks guys
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2013 at 1:47pm
@batmanwest: Lucky!!!!!! That rig looks fun!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2013 at 4:14pm
Mr. Dirtdevil, is that XT and XTR I see there on those Giants? Never have been a fan of Giant, but to each their own Wink
What specific upgrades have you and your son done to your rigs?

Mr. Homie, a rough, estimated budget helps a ton to help suggest bikes for ya :) Also, the type of trail riding is quite important too. You want to do XC, Trail/enduro, or gravity stuff? Single track, fire roads....you going to be climbing a ton, or just from time to time.....or lift assist? Answer that and I'll chime in.

And yes muse, that camber IS fun. Getting really close to having the money saved up. Look to be on par with my goal of having the cash saved by the end of the month. Going to be close, but should be able to do it.

Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2013 at 11:04pm
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm excited for you! *I had to put the build off for now* =/ so in the mean time I'll just have to live vicariously through you!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2013 at 12:12pm

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm excited for you! *I had to put the build off for now* =/ so in the mean time I'll just have to live vicariously through you!

Aw man, that sucks. Why do you have to put it on hold? Hope you can get back to it soon. Dirt season is upon us!

Just got done with a brake clinic with Magura. Now keep in mind I have never actually ridden their brakes other than around a parking lot, but I am stoked that I got to get a rundown of their tech. Went over a few things about their forks, but mainly focused on their brake line.

First off their bleed system is pretty on point. Would give it an 9/10 for effectiveness, 8/10 for ease of use and a 9/10 solely based on the fact they use mineral spirits for fluid. I have always been a DOT guy when it comes to brake fluid, but I think I totally got over that today. Mineral not only makes more sense on your pocket book and the environment, but has a more constant and predictable boil point and has a MUCH longer shelf life.

While the MT6 and MT8 brake systems currently are under recall, I wouldn't let that sway you in their products. The recall wasn't for parts that could break off, or fail during use, but for something that could possibly cause weak brake feel/pressure. Still annoying, but it's nice to find out its not because a hose was rupturing or something. Also, the warranty program they have is pretty good. The guy that deals with all that came along today, and was a super friendly guy.

If anyone is looking for a great budgeted hydro system as an upgrade or for a build, check out the MT2. Gets loads of trickle down tech from the 6 and 8's but at a severely lower price tag.
We will see how my Avid XO trails work out once I get the new rig, but I have a feeling I might have to jump on the EP program they set up for us today and get myself a pair of the MT8's. Freaking insanely light, good feel, and the looks don't hurt Wink 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2013 at 8:04am
Been playing around with different subtle touches to add some more class to meh Allez. Decided to use some light weight rope to finish off the bar wrap. Decent trial run, but next time I do it I think it needs to be half the width it currently is. I was re-using old tape so I just didn't have the length to go all the way to the stem clamp.
I like it..will have to wait and see how it holds up to the rain. I just used gorilla rubberized super glue.  Holds well in the dry.

Temps are finally starting to warm up around here. In the low 50's today, might hit 60 tomorrow....we will see.
As much as I would like to still be on the snow, for my paychecks sake I need it to warm up. Totally farking with our spring sale. I see maybe 5 or 6 people during a shift. It's starting to take a toll on my co-workers too. No one seems real happy right now, and our two managers are constantly on edge.

Been able to try and get some longer rides in the past two weeks. I still can't seem to go over 15 miles without my lungs totally shitting out on me. I swear some days I just want to pick smoking back up. Oddly enough it was loads easier to ride in the colder temps when my lungs were coated in tar. It's gonna be a rough start to the season if things keep up this way.
So freaking close to the new Camber it hurts. It seems though something keeps coming up and putting me back a week or so, but I guess since all our local trails are too wet to ride, I'm not missing much right now.
Been talking with some of the shop guys, and other randoms, about trying to connect/build/finish/bushwhack the series of local..."trails" to make something ride-able this year. Not sure if anyone remembers me talking about it last year, but it's back on the to-do list. Actually have a little support from some friends this year, so it should make clean up from last July's wind storm manageable. We will see.....

Anyone out there riding.? Anyone wanna talk about bikes.? Recent rides.?
Echo......echo....echo...Wacko
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 7:46am
Hope your shop picks up BMW, rolled through my LBS the other day to get a crown race pressed on my bro in laws bike and I was surprised how packed it was. Nothing's worse than coming into work to stand around, working in an auto shop I know the feeling. 

Anyway had my first "outdoor" ride of the year yesterday and felt great. Almost got my bike fully upgraded to ultegra 6700, shifters and a brake set left and shes done. 

xxbeachbum0804xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xxbeachbum0804xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 1:39am
just rode 40 miles last Wednesday and gonna ride another 40 today.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 10:20am

Been playing around with different subtle touches to add some more class to meh Allez. Decided to use some light weight rope to finish off the bar wrap. Decent trial run, but next time I do it I think it needs to be half the width it currently is. I was re-using old tape so I just didn't have the length to go all the way to the stem clamp.
I like it..will have to wait and see how it holds up to the rain. I just used gorilla rubberized super glue.  Holds well in the dry.
So freaking close to the new Camber it hurts. It seems though something keeps coming up and putting me back a week or so, but I guess since all our local trails are too wet to ride, I'm not missing much right now.
Been talking with some of the shop guys, and other randoms, about trying to connect/build/finish/bushwhack the series of local..."trails" to make something ride-able this year. Not sure if anyone remembers me talking about it last year, but it's back on the to-do list. Actually have a little support from some friends this year, so it should make clean up from last July's wind storm manageable. We will see.....

Anyone out there riding.? Anyone wanna talk about bikes.? Recent rides.?
Echo......echo....echo...Wacko

I like the look of the rope :). Does it serve a purpose beyond just looks?
I remember ya mentioning the trail cleanup. Hope you're able to find a decent following for it! It benefits any rider looking for some new terrain. And anyone worth having a say should be willing to chip in a few hours to complete that goal.

No rides (or bike) for me yet. Still paying med bills and whatnot. Hope to get something going around the end of this month. But I may end up making a trip to seattle instead. So much goin on!
DiRtDeViL View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DiRtDeViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 10:34am
batmanwest,

The smaller one is my son's, upgrades are:
Fork: Marzocchi TST2 Air
Cranks: Shimano SLX
Stem: Giant 90*6
Bar: Giant Compact Flat
Grips: ODI lock ons
Saddle: Selle Italia ProLink Gel Flow
Seat post: Woodman w micro adjust
Seat Clamp: Salsa

Mine:
Fork: Rock Shox Reba Dual Air
Cranks: Truvativ Stylo
Stem: Thomson 90*10
Bar: Race Face Diabolus riser
Grips: Origin8 lock ons
Saddle: Selle Italia ProLink
Seat post: Race Face Deus

Considering a tubeless conversion, tires and small parts.
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 12:55pm
I completed this mid 4 months ago, it stays fixed haven't rode it in a while since I've been out riding the hill lately now that the season is over I plan on taking it on bike trails near the LA/San Gab river channel run off, it needs a few minor upgrades before I start on a roadie build.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 6:13pm

I like the look of the rope :). Does it serve a purpose beyond just looks?

Nope, just looks. I ended the wrap job with a small piece of electrical tape to hold things in place, then wrapped the twine over that. Purely aesthetics.

Yeah...in theory an urban 15 mile or so loop is awesome, but there is SO much that goes into doing something like this. Just a matter of deciding if it's worth my time. It technically would be an "illegal" trail, so there is a lot wrapped up in building. Certain hours that work best for certain parts, as many parts get very close to a paved bike path already in place. Then on top of building the connecting parts (8 miles or so have already been blazed) there is regular maintenance that comes along with all of that. If the loop were to be completed, no doubt it would see a fair amount of use. Do my friends and I WANT to take on the pressure of "trail boss"? Dunno yet...

Dirt: You forgot to mention all the parts that matter! Big smile What drive train and brake system are you running?
Oh, and +1 for that reba. Love the reba. I have also heard some great things about Marzocchi as a fantastic budgeted fork, with impressive tech. How does your son like it?

Bootleg: What's this road build you talk of?

I really want a fixed right now. I am officially down to one bike. It's super shtooking weird. I mean...I have two road frames and a mtn frame sitting in the basement, but only just have the Allez as a complete bike. Landlord raised our rent this month...it seems just like one thing after another that pushes the new mtn. bike out of my reach. Getting close to just selling my car Wink
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 2:46am

I'm looking for a vintage 1990-1996 Specialized Allez with aluminum lugged & carbon fiber tubed frame.I found a guy selling just the frame in good condition but he was an hour /half away up north for about 120$ now I'm kicking myself for passing up on that deal, I'm kinda getting burnt out of the fixed gear scene and wanted something different so i can get some leisure riding in my routine.
xxbeachbum0804xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xxbeachbum0804xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 7:23am
bout to ride up and down the jersey shore. should be fun.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 7:56am
Originally posted by bootleg

I'm looking for a vintage 1990-1996 Specialized Allez with aluminum lugged & carbon fiber tubed frame.I found a guy selling just the frame in good condition but he was an hour /half away up north for about 120$

Careful with that man. There is a reason they are asking 120. Those frames are notorious for being poorly built. A friend had one and it rode like shit, and I have also had 2 of them come into our shop (once in the past year, the other was 3 years ago when I didn't work there) with the carbon separated from the aluminum. Just a pretty poor design if you plan on doing any serious riding, or...well...hit any types of bumps in the road.
They are rather rubbish IMO.

Now, if that's all you can afford, and it gets you out on the road with a different discipline of bike, go for it. Don't let me debbie downer your plans LOL but just giving you a heads up that if all possible, let go of the dream of that particular frame.  

bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 12:37pm

Originally posted by bootleg

I'm looking for a vintage 1990-1996 Specialized Allez with aluminum lugged & carbon fiber tubed frame.I found a guy selling just the frame in good condition but he was an hour /half away up north for about 120$
Careful with that man. There is a reason they are asking 120. Those frames are notorious for being poorly built. A friend had one and it rode like shit, and I have also had 2 of them come into our shop (once in the past year, the other was 3 years ago when I didn't work there) with the carbon separated from the aluminum. Just a pretty poor design if you plan on doing any serious riding, or...well...hit any types of bumps in the road. They are rather rubbish IMO. Now, if that's all you can afford, and it gets you out on the road with a different discipline of bike, go for it. Don't let me debbie downer your plans LOL but just giving you a heads up that if all possible, let go of the dream of that particular frame.  

Thanks for the heads up BMW,I didn't jump on the first opportunity because i wasn't to sure about the quality work of the frame, more importantly the look of it was pretty awesome and the whole carbon tubing looks like it be a fast bike on the road and I would think older Allez will absorb energy and vibrations well,but hearing what your experiences with those models,I'll definitely make a exception on looking at fuji/scattante brands. This roadie build I'm doing is just strictly for road/coastal highway.I sorta have a budget but for me to spend on a complete road bike ruins the joy of building one from the ground up but in this case I have mere budget of 500,not looking for any frames that are for pro riders just a decent starter frame preferably carbon or lightweight as possible.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>