Biking

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 1314151617>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jstgermain View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jstgermain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biking
    Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 12:48pm
Just got a new GT Avalanche 4.0 mountain bike for the summer...great bike if you don't want to break the bank...they go for around $4-500.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 1:00pm
@batmanwest: Had to put it off because some expenses came up =/
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 10:12am
BMW,
If you've caroused the bikesdirect website at all, do you have any recommendations from their sites for budget builds? I searched a bit through the models with SORA components, but none seem to be the 2013 gear. I suppose i could go cheap-cheap on those specific components there, and upgrade when I'm able. Just really didn't like the pre-13 SORA stuff.

Thoughts?
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by j_lucky84

BMW,
If you've caroused the bikesdirect website at all, do you have any recommendations from their sites for budget builds? I searched a bit through the models with SORA components, but none seem to be the 2013 gear. I suppose i could go cheap-cheap on those specific components there, and upgrade when I'm able. Just really didn't like the pre-13 SORA stuff.

Thoughts?

I have spent a few seconds on BD. My thoughts? Well...keep in mind you just asked a mechanic at pretty much the highest end shop in Ohio (there is a reason companies come to US to give clinics, and not the other way around) what his thoughts are on bikes direct....an online conglomerate store that under cuts the brick and mortar stores and is slowly killing us.....

I hate bikes direct. There has yet to be one bike brought into our store from BD that was assembled correctly. Every single BD bike needs at least 60 dollars of labor done to it to be able to correctly and safely ride, or at least the ones coming to my shop.

I also do not like pre-13 Sora. Even 13 Sora, I personally wouldn't ride it. But hey, the lowest group of shifters I have had on any of my bikes in the past 10 years is Tiagra and up and am currently riding on Ultegra. That is just me being snobby. If I was on a budget (or didn't work in a shop) Sora would be just fine. Like I said, the re-work for 13 is pretty damn impressive.

All of this is relative though. A lot of people don't want to spend over 500 bucks for a complete bike. People like myself don't want to spend less than a grand on our bikes (fixed gears not included). I could sit here all day and tell you how much you "should" spend on a bike, what to look for, what not to look for...where to skimp where not to skimp....it's a never ending cycle for me. I find myself spewing too much insight and thought into other peoples purchase/ideas and over looking major details of the story.

The biggest question is how much do you see yourself riding? Like..honestly riding. Not "I want to start riding this much, or that far"....but realistically looking at how much, at minimum, you see yourself riding in the future. You know yourself better than anyone else, and while you might want to start doing longer rides (20-80 miles at a time) only you know if that can be a reality.

Actually, scrap that...IMO it doesn't matter much how far you are going to ride. It is obvious it's something you want to do, regardless of mileage.
What I am getting at is...will the internet be there for you when something breaks? Will they be there for you when you need a tune up? How bout when you want to upgrade something?

Although, I remember you saying that a LBS is a decent distance for you, so.....
I've said it before, but if you absolutely must buy something online, do it on your local CL. If I were in your shoes, what CL location would I look at? (willing to do a little browsing around for you)

Also, how tall are you? Inseam?

Sorry for the rant, looking back on things I doubt I helped much..I'm in a rather sour mood today. I got to listen to co-workers and customers talk about their various bikes, and I got to pay another 100 bucks out of my bike fund for shit around the house last night....

xxbeachbum0804xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xxbeachbum0804xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 12:54pm
thinking tomorrow im gonna ride around time square in NYC. a lot of fun if anyone is close enough to try it.
DiRtDeViL View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DiRtDeViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 6:33am
batmanwest,

Both bikes have the same OEM drivetrain components, SRAM X5 shifters and rear mech with a Simano Deore front mech; Will replace as things break thou. The only thing changed was the crankset on both bikes at different times.

The Zocchi is nice, my kid's bike used to be mine and can say that the fork is easy to dial in and after broken in is a very nice inexpensive fork; he loves it. The Reba is great but was a pain to dial in.

Will be going for a ride on Saturday at 5:30p at Split Rock in Syracuse.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by DiRtDeViL

batmanwest,

Both bikes have the same OEM drivetrain components, SRAM X5 shifters and rear mech with a Simano Deore front mech; Will replace as things break thou. The only thing changed was the crankset on both bikes at different times.

The Zocchi is nice, my kid's bike used to be mine and can say that the fork is easy to dial in and after broken in is a very nice inexpensive fork; he loves it. The Reba is great but was a pain to dial in.

Will be going for a ride on Saturday at 5:30p at Split Rock in Syracuse.

Right on. Well, if you are waiting on the drivetrain to fail, you might have to wait a while LOL

Just curious, what did you find to be a pain to dial in? Rebound or your air setting?
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2013 at 7:14am
Originally posted by batmanwest

BMW,

Thoughts?

I have spent a few seconds on BD. My thoughts? Well...keep in mind you just asked a mechanic at pretty much the highest end shop in Ohio (there is a reason companies come to US to give clinics, and not the other way around) what his thoughts are on bikes direct....an online conglomerate store that under cuts the brick and mortar stores and is slowly killing us.....

I hate bikes direct. There has yet to be one bike brought into our store from BD that was assembled correctly. Every single BD bike needs at least 60 dollars of labor done to it to be able to correctly and safely ride, or at least the ones coming to my shop.

I also do not like pre-13 Sora. Even 13 Sora, I personally wouldn't ride it. But hey, the lowest group of shifters I have had on any of my bikes in the past 10 years is Tiagra and up and am currently riding on Ultegra. That is just me being snobby. If I was on a budget (or didn't work in a shop) Sora would be just fine. Like I said, the re-work for 13 is pretty damn impressive.

All of this is relative though. A lot of people don't want to spend over 500 bucks for a complete bike. People like myself don't want to spend less than a grand on our bikes (fixed gears not included). I could sit here all day and tell you how much you "should" spend on a bike, what to look for, what not to look for...where to skimp where not to skimp....it's a never ending cycle for me. I find myself spewing too much insight and thought into other peoples purchase/ideas and over looking major details of the story.

The biggest question is how much do you see yourself riding? Like..honestly riding. Not "I want to start riding this much, or that far"....but realistically looking at how much, at minimum, you see yourself riding in the future. You know yourself better than anyone else, and while you might want to start doing longer rides (20-80 miles at a time) only you know if that can be a reality.

Actually, scrap that...IMO it doesn't matter much how far you are going to ride. It is obvious it's something you want to do, regardless of mileage.
What I am getting at is...will the internet be there for you when something breaks? Will they be there for you when you need a tune up? How bout when you want to upgrade something?

Although, I remember you saying that a LBS is a decent distance for you, so.....
I've said it before, but if you absolutely must buy something online, do it on your local CL. If I were in your shoes, what CL location would I look at? (willing to do a little browsing around for you)

Also, how tall are you? Inseam?

Sorry for the rant, looking back on things I doubt I helped much..I'm in a rather sour mood today. I got to listen to co-workers and customers talk about their various bikes, and I got to pay another 100 bucks out of my bike fund for shit around the house last night....

Hey BMW. I spent about 30 minutes responding to this post yesterday, but TruSnow crapped out and didnt successfully process my post. So im gonna hack this up real quick.
My riding distance likely wont cap 40 miles. I don't have any friends who are part of the biking community, and wouldn't be comfortable with long treks on my own. At the very least, the bike will be used for the 6 mile trip home from work after Monday/Wednesday classes. I don't have a car, hence my striving to find alternate means of transportation.
I understand the web wont be there when/if $@(* goes awry, but my current wage really doesn't permit me to drop 700 bones on a new setup.  And I'd feel like a dick frequently askin the LBS folks if they had anything cheaper lol.
I have certainly been looking through craigslist, and would much prefer going that route than buying from an online "big box" store. I've been checking EastOregon, KPR (Kennewick, Pasco and Richland, a group of cities about an hour away.. generally also includes Walla Walla, a 45 minute trip), and Portland (3-hour trip). I should probably check Spokane as well, but it's a 3 hour drive and I havent been up there in like 2 years. It gets to the point where the cost of gas for a 6 hour round trip offsets any money I might save by making it.
There's not much of a biking community in Eastern Oregon, finding anything decent there, much less in my size, would be quite a surprise. I figure KPR will likely be my best bet. Given, Portland has a HUGE bike following, but they also have a lot of hipster yuppies thinking their 70-80's era Schwinns and Raleighs are worth 250. HAH.
I'm 6'2 with a 32" inseam. Did a little test ride a 58cm and 60cm bike at the "L"BS. Wouldnt say I found either significantly more comfortable than the other. Both seemed to do the trick. Not 100% sure how that translates into compact frames. Perhaps a little insight there would be useful :)
Really appreciate your help though. Certainly understand your hatred for BD!
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2013 at 7:57am
Ok.. while waiting on some stuff at work, I looked through the Spokane listings...
Found:
Trek Madone 5.9, 58 CM. Only $500.. Seems kinda fishy after finding the MSRP has an extra 0. lol - EDIT: Ah, It's just for the frame/fork/headset. :(

and
Cannondale R1000, 58cm, $600 - a little more than I'm willing/able to spend. Might be able to budget it.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2013 at 12:34pm

Hey BMW. I spent about 30 minutes responding to this post yesterday, but TruSnow crapped out and didnt successfully process my post. So im gonna hack this up real quick.

Feel ya on that. It's happened to me a few times..pretty weak sauce.
As for that R1000, offer them 500, and hope they counter with 550.? If everything is in good working order, 600 is definitely a fair price, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Just be nice about it. It's not the case for a lot of people, but I have totally come down a few dollars for people that made selling items easy on me, and or had a good attitude. Maybe this seller is the same way.

Mid thought process edit: I just realized that's what...a 3.5+ hour drive for you? One way....Hmm. Just kidding. I mean if you have the money to do that, but it seems like you don't. Even if the seller dropped it to 500, depending on what kind of car you have that could easily push it to the 650 mark.

Sorry this is too small for you lucky, but damn I wish I lived in Spokane. It's my size too! My boss has one of these and they were made REAL well. Columbus tubing too! I would never see a deal like that in my area, and shipping would totally kill the deal...

http://kpr.craigslist.org/bik/3686019702.html
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2013 at 3:37pm
THat's a really perdy bike!
And yeah, I've totally accounted for gas costs in the bike budget. $500 would certainly be a selling point for the R-1000, if it wasn't gonna cost 120+ in gas to get to Spokompton and back. I don't wanna jump the gun and end up with something I don't want. I dig the look of the R-1000, but for the extra 120 in travel costs, i could get a (probably better) bike closer to here.
Hell, the LBS offered that Jamis for 700. Might've been able to haggle with em a bit.
Also am no longer on a project offering overtime :(. So much for additional money to put into the bike budget :( .
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 7:55am
First weekend not on the mountain, took my road bike out, every time I get back on it after riding a hybrid I'm amazed at how responsive and light it feels. Have to get back into some long riding. Ordered five new chains, luckily my road bike was inside the house when Sandy hit, the bikes in the shed were partially submerged in salt water.

Came across this site for cycling eyewear, best home page I've seen in a while:

No experience with their products.
tortoisegts View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tortoisegts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 12:51pm
Last summer/fall I started looking at a few bikes but hadn't gotten very far before I learned I was moving soon. Now that I'm settled near Denver and the weather is starting to get consistently warm, I'd like to find something before too long. I'm just not sure what I want/need vs. what's out there. Last time, in the initial stages of a search, I was a little overwhelmed by all the technical info sellers were spewing at me.

I have limited experience in mountain biking, but I'd like to get more into that. I was thinking maybe an affordable solid performing hardtail 29er. The only ones I saw in my previous area were a couple Treks and Cannondales. I'm not yet sure what's around here.

Unfortunately, I can't test ride any right now due to just having shoulder surgery. I would like to start looking now so I can narrow down what I want to try out. Any suggestions on where/what I should check out would be appreciated. I'd like to keep it under $1000, really focusing on value for the cost. Any ideas?
'09 Burton Jeremy Jones 151, '10 Burton X8 151 // '10 Exile EST // '10 DC Journey
Sierra Stunt 8/5/2010 | Sierra Crew 10/11/2011 | Sierra Reverse Crew 12/27/2013
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by belleayre

Ordered five new chains

...five? What for?
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 9:39am
Hey BMW.
Was lookin through craigslist postings again and found this 2008 Trek 1.2. He lists it as a 57, which wasn't actually a size offered for that bike. Emailed him to find out if it's possibly a 56 or 58.
It's MSRP new was $770, so not terribly sure if gettin it for 5 is a great deal or not.
DiRtDeViL View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DiRtDeViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 6:50am

Just curious, what did you find to be a pain to dial in? Rebound or your air setting?

The air settings, the recommended pressures didn't worked for me but after reading some threads on mtbr found out that you need to add the same or more psi to the negative chamber.
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 12:01pm
Seen this at the LBS yesterday,
best looking bike I've ever seen 
LarsGenius View Drop Down
Local
Local
Light It Up

Quote LarsGenius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 12:24pm
A 1996 GT Avalanche was my first bike.

Light, strong, and made life a little easier riding up some decent sized hills

I sold the frame a few years ago and I should've kept it.

If I had taken it to my local bike shop, Bob's Bikes, he would have put it back into perfect working order and I would still have something that I could treasure for years to come.

You may save a few dollars on the internet one year, but you may as well go throw a rock through your local bicycle store's window. Because in a few years when you need some solid information and support to keep that bike running, you'll have to go to sportsmart because you killed the honest local guy by saving $10.

Like the guys say above, those few extra dollars come back to you because you invested in a local business which supports your community, and also, you help build a business that will serve you for years to come.

Internet businesses run warehouses in foreign locations with low property values, low taxes, and lax worker safety requirements. They abuse the workers and don't build a healthy community.

Buy foreign and you sh*t on the USA.
Please, oh please,  don't shit on me, yourself, or our future.

You might be smarter or dumber from having read this Confused
Thanks.

diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 1:29pm

Am I the only one who sees the irony in the whole shop your LBS when we are on a forum for a discount snowboard site. I'm all for shopping my LBS and supporting the community, spent a few hundred this month alone at mine between parts and service. Just find it ironic

belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 5:04pm

Ordered five new chains

...five? What for?

Five bikes. Not every chain was all that bad, but I figured I'll do them all at once. KMC makes nice chains.
anna.chan18 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote anna.chan18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 5:08pm

Ordered five new chains
...five? What for?

Five bikes. Not every chain was all that bad, but I figured I'll do them all at once. KMC makes nice chains.

what do u need 5 bikes for??!!
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by anna.chan18

there's a lot of reasons to own as much as 5 bikes, a street fixed gear for commute/wok only,a strictly track bike for the velodrome for competition races, a road bike for highway/time trail/triathlons training,a bmx for urban/street tricking/and the mountain bike for off roading on trails.Every bike serves a good purpose for different types of riding.
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2013 at 6:04am
Originally posted by bootleg

Originally posted by anna.chan18

there's a lot of reasons to own as much as 5 bikes, a street fixed gear for commute/wok only,a strictly track bike for the velodrome for competition races, a road bike for highway/time trail/triathlons training,a bmx for urban/street tricking/and the mountain bike for off roading on trails.Every bike serves a good purpose for different types of riding.

Hmmmm....I'm not sure a fixie is necessary for a work commute unless you are a big hipster.  I rock some hills on the way to work so a standard road bike works better.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2013 at 9:40am
Originally posted by diviesti

Am I the only one who sees the irony in the whole shop your LBS when we are on a forum for a discount snowboard site. I'm all for shopping my LBS and supporting the community, spent a few hundred this month alone at mine between parts and service. Just find it ironic

Haha, fairly clever observation!

The trek i posted about earlier was sold.. but just found this one...
2006 Trek 1500 58cm

105/ultegra comps and $300?! :D
DiRtDeViL View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DiRtDeViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2013 at 10:49am

just found this one...2006 Trek 1500 58cm105/ultegra comps and $300?! :D

Not bad, my roadie is older and still going strong.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 4:43am
Originally posted by CO_champagne

Hmmmm....I'm not sure a fixie is necessary for a work commute unless you are a big hipster.  I rock some hills on the way to work so a standard road bike works better.

I'm with ya there! I'm sure Portland has hundreds of hipster yuppies rockin fixies to the office. haha.

Talked more with the guy selling the 1500, got some more pics and decided to buy it. Got lots of family in spokane and they're willing to pick the bike up from the seller; I'll just wire em some cash.. Now in the process of tryna figure out how to get the bike from Spokane to me. :D
ALso found out there IS a local riders club. Conveniently they're doing an introductory ride next weekend for any newbies; just a little 12 mile route, pretty much from downtown to where i work and back. Should be good to get a feel for the bike before partaking in their other riding events :). Also gotta schedule a time to bring the bike to the LBS for a look-over/tuneup :) ... excitedddd!!!!
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 9:07am
I get my bike a week sooner than I anticipated! A buddy was gonna grab it for me and bring it down next thurs/fri, but as it turns out, my parents are headin up to Spokane today and offered to bring it back sat/sun :D 
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 10:57am

I get my bike a week sooner than I anticipated! A buddy was gonna grab it for me and bring it down next thurs/fri, but as it turns out, my parents are headin up to Spokane today and offered to bring it back sat/sun :D 

Getting stuff sooner than later is always nice, same thing just happened to me. My Ultegra brake set showed up today as opposed to Saturday. Can't wait to mount them boys on tonight. No more weak ass Tektro stock brakes!!!!
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2013 at 1:14pm
No doubt! I've been jazzed all week to get it! Met the local riding group this morning, and did a slow but lengthy 13-mile ride with em. Had some uber-slow people that we had to keep waiting for. Rather windy today, so the trip back into the wind was a bit rough.. but a good outing all the same :). Rode my buddy's hybrid bike. No drop bars to keep me more aerodynamic, but eh, my fat ass needs to work harder anyway :))
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2013 at 9:39pm
I got my new baby today! Will bring her in for a tune up later this week, but looks in really good shape. Can't wait to put some miles in!

Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 8:03pm
Lucky, looks like that bike is missing something...around the front Wink

Glad you got a bike man. I know you were really stoked to get a proper steed. On a side note though, it looks like that chain is too small. While you really shouldn't be in that gear anyways, as it is some massive cross chain, that rear derailleur looks REAL stretched out/strained to hit that gear. So while that ratio is something you shouldn't do, it IS something the bike SHOULD be able to do...if that makes any sense.

But yeah, you did well on the price too, for sure!

So, I finally have a true weekend. I have tomorrow (well...technically today) and wed. off. First time having two days off in a row in 6 weeks. So pumped to get a ton of shit done around the house. I feel like work has taken over my life. The spring sale drained my faith in humanity, and lately all the bikes I have worked on turn into major overhauls. Just draining having to explain to people why item A, isn't compatible to item B, and why they shouldn't of bought item C off the internet to try and make up for the incompatibility. People amaze me some times.

Got to cut up some carbon today (shortening aero bars Ermm) and thought I would shoot off a pic or two for you tri guys. I personally can't get into tri stuff at all.....at all...but I do find the engineering and tech that goes into these bikes fascinating.
Don't remember the year, but wanna say it's a 2010. Dude put a power meter on a few months ago. You should also see this thing with the set of Zip 404's he's got for race day. Full RED group, including dem fancy-smanchy RED R2C TT aero levers. Those two levers alone cost over 300.
Don't get me wrong, I'll spend some stoopid moneies on bikes, but 300+ for aero bar shift levers is a bit silly.

belleayre: I'm glad they are for separate bikes. I know people that buy 5 chains at a time to save a dollar, maybe two. Sure dollar saving is cool, but that is 2 to 5 years of chains...no need to stock pile that much! :)
Oh, and to those surprised about that "many" bikes, it really isn't a TON. Variety is the spice of life. Don't you all know that the number of bikes you should own is N+1?! N being the number of bikes you currently own.
Oh, and I know a good deal of people that commute/get around town by fixie. It actually makes a lot of sense if you don't have a ton of money to spend on a bike. VERY low maintenance. Also, fixies make a perfect snow/winter bike. Riding fixed in the snow actually can make riding in that type of shit easier, as you have more direct control over the bike. Granted, if you live in a really hilly region, a geared bike to get to work/inclement weather/snow is a fine idea LOL

Lastly, divesti, I see how you interpret it as ironic (your previous statement about being on an online retailer, bitching about not shopping online) but I don't think it is an ironic thing to say. Well, for me at least. Yes, I have spent dollars on this site. BUT, I have spent more at my local shop, and always do. I (personally) only get a few small things here, and make my big purchases at the brick and mortar spot.
When it comes to items that need to be installed on something, unless you plan on installing it yourself, you should buy said item at your local shop. Bikes included.

Oh, and yeah, that s-works tarmac is sick. I am not a fan of satin finishes on bikes...or anything for that matter, but it works on that bike. Actually, a ton of the 13 Specializes work with the satin finishes they are putting out. Got a ton of them in the shop, and I have to say...the paint just works.
We actually have a Roubaix Ui2 on the floor in my size...been trying to find a way to take it out for a "spin" next time I get a free moment at work. Never ridden electronic shifting, only have played with it in the stand...
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 8:24pm

Lucky, looks like that bike is missing something...around the front Wink

Glad you got a bike man. I know you were really stoked to get a proper steed. On a side note though, it looks like that chain is too small. While you really shouldn't be in that gear anyways, as it is some massive cross chain, that rear derailleur looks REAL stretched out/strained to hit that gear. So while that ratio is something you shouldn't do, it IS something the bike SHOULD be able to do...if that makes any sense.

But yeah, you did well on the price too, for sure!

So, I finally have a true weekend. I have tomorrow (well...technically today) and wed. off. First time having two days off in a row in 6 weeks. So pumped to get a ton of shit done around the house. I feel like work has taken over my life. The spring sale drained my faith in humanity, and lately all the bikes I have worked on turn into major overhauls. Just draining having to explain to people why item A, isn't compatible to item B, and why they shouldn't of bought item C off the internet to try and make up for the incompatibility. People amaze me some times.

Got to cut up some carbon today (shortening aero bars Ermm) and thought I would shoot off a pic or two for you tri guys. I personally can't get into tri stuff at all.....at all...but I do find the engineering and tech that goes into these bikes fascinating.
Don't remember the year, but wanna say it's a 2010. Dude put a power meter on a few months ago. You should also see this thing with the set of Zip 404's he's got for race day. Full RED group, including dem fancy-smanchy RED R2C TT aero levers. Those two levers alone cost over 300.
Don't get me wrong, I'll spend some stoopid moneies on bikes, but 300+ for aero bar shift levers is a bit silly.

belleayre: I'm glad they are for separate bikes. I know people that buy 5 chains at a time to save a dollar, maybe two. Sure dollar saving is cool, but that is 2 to 5 years of chains...no need to stock pile that much! :)
Oh, and to those surprised about that "many" bikes, it really isn't a TON. Variety is the spice of life. Don't you all know that the number of bikes you should own is N+1?! N being the number of bikes you currently own.
Oh, and I know a good deal of people that commute/get around town by fixie. It actually makes a lot of sense if you don't have a ton of money to spend on a bike. VERY low maintenance. Also, fixies make a perfect snow/winter bike. Riding fixed in the snow actually can make riding in that type of shit easier, as you have more direct control over the bike. Granted, if you live in a really hilly region, a geared bike to get to work/inclement weather/snow is a fine idea LOL

Lastly, divesti, I see how you interpret it as ironic (your previous statement about being on an online retailer, bitching about not shopping online) but I don't think it is an ironic thing to say. Well, for me at least. Yes, I have spent dollars on this site. BUT, I have spent more at my local shop, and always do. I (personally) only get a few small things here, and make my big purchases at the brick and mortar spot.
When it comes to items that need to be installed on something, unless you plan on installing it yourself, you should buy said item at your local shop. Bikes included.

Oh, and yeah, that s-works tarmac is sick. I am not a fan of satin finishes on bikes...or anything for that matter, but it works on that bike. Actually, a ton of the 13 Specializes work with the satin finishes they are putting out. Got a ton of them in the shop, and I have to say...the paint just works.
We actually have a Roubaix Ui2 on the floor in my size...been trying to find a way to take it out for a "spin" next time I get a free moment at work. Never ridden electronic shifting, only have played with it in the stand...

No way, man! It's supposed to be that way.. work on my balance! haha. Naw, I swung up to my rents to check it out and couldnt wait to put the wheel back on before takin a pic :D
I did notice (after the pic) that someone had tapped the front shifter a couple times when moving it into the car. got that back in place, but still have to replace the battery in the computer (dont have a screwdriver small enough). Contemplating taking it to work tomorrow and riding it home. Figure why not see how she rides before takin her in for a tuneup.
I think someone in the local bike club has the same bike as I do (albeit much smaller). Hey look... I put the wheel on!

PS... Your bike owning formula rocks, haha. And while some of the components on that tri bike look really nice... I don't find that bike as a whole terribly attractive.
And I hear ya about buying things in an actual store that gives a shit when it comes to anything you'd like to maintain. I personally try to have a very thorough understanding of any higher-dollar purchases I make. Bought my snowboard from Evo prior to this season's start, and did all the tuning myself. Some parts didn't go as gracefully as I would've hoped, but I felt like I did get better in the process.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 8:54pm
Yeah, man, tri bikes aren't all that purdy. In fairness though, while being designed, they really do just have one priority in mind (after stiffness of the frame) is aerodynamics. That doesn't make for the most aesthetically pleasing ride.

What I meant about the chain being too small doesn't have much to do with if the shifter was bumped or not. What I mean is with the chain on the largest chain ring on the front, and biggest (lowest ratio though...) gear on the cassette in the rear, the rear derailleur should not look like that. Meaning the RD is stretched out..pulled to far forward.
NOW...with the chain on the smallest chain ring on the front, and smallest gear/cog on the rear, the chain section on the bottom should come really close to touching the jockey wheel after it passes through the pulley wheel....

Hmm...I think that last part got a bit lost in translation. Do me a favor and shift into the smallest ring on the front, and smallest ring on the rear and snap a picture of the rear derailleur from the drive side.

On a side note, when you snap off photos of your bike, you should always be shooting the drive side of the bike. I mean..it IS rule #26 and all....Wink
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 8:59pm

Hey look... I put the wheel on!

At least you put it in the correct way. Skewer on non-drive side!!!! Can't tell you how many people I have to tell that to on a weekly basis.

Oh, and if nothing seems wrong with the bike, no need to bring it into the shop just yet. Get some miles under her belt, and some grime THEN take it in. Save some bucks. Although, you really should check each bolt on the thing before you ride it. Bare minimum, make sure the stem/handle bar/headset bolts are tight. FYI, they WILL be metric.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 9:19pm

Yeah, man, tri bikes aren't all that purdy. In fairness though, while being designed, they really do just have one priority in mind (after stiffness of the frame) is aerodynamics. That doesn't make for the most aesthetically pleasing ride.

What I meant about the chain being too small doesn't have much to do with if the shifter was bumped or not. What I mean is with the chain on the largest chain ring on the front, and biggest (lowest ratio though...) gear on the cassette in the rear, the rear derailleur should not look like that. Meaning the RD is stretched out..pulled to far forward.
NOW...with the chain on the smallest chain ring on the front, and smallest gear/cog on the rear, the chain section on the bottom should come really close to touching the jockey wheel after it passes through the pulley wheel....

Hmm...I think that last part got a bit lost in translation. Do me a favor and shift into the smallest ring on the front, and smallest ring on the rear and snap a picture of the rear derailleur from the drive side.

On a side note, when you snap off photos of your bike, you should always be shooting the drive side of the bike. I mean..it IS rule #26 and all....Wink

LOL fair enough. Actually, that's why i find the bike not as good looking as others.. They certainly to every extent serve a function-over-form principle.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 9:27pm
Yup....thought so. That chain is indeed too short. Can't tell you why, but I can tell you that chain is too short. There should be a whole lot less of a distance from the bottom "wheel" of the RD, and the top "wheel" of the RD.
I would also bet a few dollars that if you put a chain checker on that that thing, it would read out worn. I wouldn't freak, or worry THAT much, but before you go and put some serious miles on that thing I would have it checked over. Sometime in the next 100 miles take it to your LBS.
I would bet, just judging on looks, that bike could/can use a sold clean, lube and tune.
But like I said, I wouldn't freak about it, and you could totally ride it for a little bit before worrying about it, but do it sooner than later. Don't wanna wear out any components prematurely.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2013 at 6:52am
Broke the bike in with a little 15 mile trip around town yesterday. The front derailleur seems to need a bit of adjustment, but otherwise a very pleasant ride. I was constantly remaining aware that when I stopped, i had to unclick my feet... haven't biffed it yet n don't wanna start now haha
Going to ride with the local bike group this Saturday on a 30 mile trip. Been having some glorious weather, so hoping that keeps up!
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 6:26am
Did a 42 mile run over the weekend :). Was originally only gonna do 26 (a trip along the highway to a nearby town and back),but the ride there had absolutely perfect weather and was super easy, so we did the optional 14-mile add-on, which was 7 grueling miles up a hill into the wind. Was pretty burnt out by the time we got to the end of the road. But that only meant the ride back was gonna be downhill with the wind :D covered that in no time flat. Then battled a crosswind for the trip from the neighboring town back home. Crashed once, as i forgot to unclip my feet before stopping. :P I was thinking as i was slowing down "I'm forgetting something... hmm... cant remember!", then came to a stop and started tipping over n im like "oh yeah, that was it". LOL
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 11:26am
Another 40+ mile ride this weekend (i think 46 was the final tally).
Got my first flat on the new bike. One of the others in the bike group lent me a spare tube (i stupidly didnt have one with me), and it exploded as soon as notable pressure was pumped into it. replaced it with another tube... new in box and still wouldnt hold air. In the meanwhile had patched mine, but the hole I patched seemingly isn't the only one, as it remained flat. BLAHH. Fortunately there was a guy following the gang around in a car stocked with supplies. Was able to grab a tube from the bag he had in the trunk, and was back on the road within minutes. All in all a 45+ minute detour I did not anticipate.
My knee was still a bit sore at the start from my fall the week prior. It possibly could've been something else, but the bruised muscle is certainly noticed when my legs are bent. By the end of the ride it was miserably painful. Gonna take a break and lay off from this weekend's ride. Kinda a bummer, as i've really enjoyed getting around. I've put a bit over 115 miles on this bike in a little over a week that i've owned it. More miles than I put on my Schwinn in 4-5 months haha. Took a few pics along the ride. Here's one of em :)

rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 1:42pm
mountain bike time....I need recommendation/opinions on brand.

I'm looking to get a hard tail/trail bike $500-$800, 29er most likely for my size (6'6")

My mtn bike game is weak so input is appreciated.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 8:18am
fun 20 miles yesterday on the Trek single speed....legs burnt

diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 12:38pm

Watching the tour of Cali on TV almost makes me wish I lived in California. They do a good job beautifing one of the most populated places on the planet. Thinkin right now if Schleck can manage a decent TT he could probably take this, first time I've ever seen him attack on something other than a steep ass hill even though nothing came of it.

diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 6:28pm
Never mind, Schleck got his ass handed to him today. Looks like Tejay Van Garderen is going to wrap this up on the Time trial
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2013 at 6:17am
Originally posted by rzero

I'm looking to get a hard tail/trail bike $500-$800, 29er most likely for my size (6'6")

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but to be fair my head isn't in the online game right now. It's full on swing at the shop, and most of my free time is spend either riding, or devising ways to buy a new bike.

SO...you have your height working against you, that sucks. It's real hard for a guy of your stature to find something of quality (or really anything at all) used. I have spent an hour or so looking at the Denver craigslist, but I can't seem to find anything in your size. The used market always seems to tailor to dudes between 5.4 and 6ft.

As far as brands, I would personally stick to Specialized (go figure), Yeti (probably will be out of your price range though) certain Giants, intermediate Trek hardtails, Santa Cruz, and Salsa (probably also out of your range). But as a general list, those are my picks for solid mtn. bikes.
Back on the big S, I am in love with their 9er geometry. I have ridden other 9ers and Specialized just seems to have it on lock down. Go figure though, the past few years they have been trying HARD to push 9ers on the public, and have for the most part gotten rid of their 26in mtn. bikes. Not a good move in my opinion, but at the same time, if you are into 9ers, they kinda kill it.

Wheel size and mtn. biking is something I really don't like to get into much. There is TOO much personal preference, and is over argued. People just need to shut the fuck. up about it and go ride. That being said, I really like 9ers Big smile

Good luck with the search man. Dunno what to tell ya, I couldn't find a single thing that would work for you on CL. If you have any other questions, or postings you want my opinion on, feel free to post it up here. I'll try and offer some insight.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2013 at 1:38pm
Gonna test out how well my knee has healed on a short ride this evening. I doubt its still at 100%, but if its at 90+ I'll have more confidence to join the local riders for their 60 miler this weekend. I've heard the route has some awesome scenery, and would love to see some of it.

BMW, you'll be happy to hear I got my bike in for a tune up (after having put 120 miles on it or so). Haven't seen it yet, as I had to have a friend pick it up for me. But will be getting it in about 30 minutes. Had them redo the bartape, as I figured the $10 they charge (listed as 10, ended up bein $5) ended up being easier this go around than spending an hour or two doing it myself. Still need a new chain (mines past the .7mm mark, and closely nearing the 1.0m), but a buddy has a brand new one I think he's said he's not gonna use and is willing to give me. Will post a pic of the bike later. :)
Today I bought a gatorskin tire for the rear, as it's on its way out, as well as some spare tubes, a pump and a pink Nalini jersey.

Stuntin!
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 8:46am
The tune-up made the shifting a LOT cleaner, and they actually cleaned up the bike itself! The bike is overall working better, but my knee is without a doubt still injured. It felt stably at 80% for about 90% of the ride, and had i stopped there, I feel i would've been in better shape. Unfortunately the last mile back to the house took a much heavier toll on my knee joint than the 10 miles prior to it. :( . Not gonna make the long ride this weekend, and I'm quite disappointed :(

As promised, throwin a pic of the bike up here :), all shined up and the like. Also installed my head/tail lights.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 8:35am
Hey lucky, are you sure your seat height is correct, and that your cleats are properly aligned on your shoes? Not saying it IS the reason you are getting knee pain, but those two things can directly be linked to knee pain/injury. Sucks either way though. From time to time I get pain in the leg joints and it puts me on the sidelines for a few days. Mainly from old skate/snow injuries though.

On a super sweet side note, I am ordering my new mtn. bike today!!!!
I really can't believe I made it here. There have been so many bumps in the past few months that totally thrashed my mtn. bike budget...but today is the day! Going to go into work in an hour and fill out the EP form. Now.....to order some carbon bars with it. I mean....the EP form DOES have 5 lines on it....would be a shame to see those go to waste LOL

Should be out on some trails this time next week. Well...as long as my work schedule allows hahha
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 11:11am
Congrats, BMW! Glad to see the dedication paid off :) .

I wasn't sure what you meant by "cleats properly aligned on my shoes" (I didn't even know cleats could be adjusted!), so i did some Googling. My shoes are actually a bit too big for me, so it could very well be my cleats are too far forward. I will see if i can adjust them this afternoon (thanks for the heads up there).
Also, my seat probably is a bit too high (and if i slide my cleats back, that will certainly be the case). So ill do a little tweaking there too :)
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2013 at 6:15pm
Ole Levi Leipheimer announced his retirement yesterday,  american cycling stars sure have left a black mark on pro cycling. Hopefully Farrar, Garderen, and the young Bontrager boys can continue with there success at the Tour of California and start a new era. 

I'm pretty interested in the Tour de France to see how team BMC is going to handle Tejay and Cadel. Cadel hasn't really shown his previous form since he won but BMC seems to be fully committed to him at this point.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2013 at 10:55am

Originally posted by rzero

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but to be fair my head isn't in the online game right now. It's full on swing at the shop, and most of my free time is spend either riding, or devising ways to buy a new bike.

SO...you have your height working against you, that sucks. It's real hard for a guy of your stature to find something of quality (or really anything at all) used. I have spent an hour or so looking at the Denver craigslist, but I can't seem to find anything in your size. The used market always seems to tailor to dudes between 5.4 and 6ft.

As far as brands, I would personally stick to Specialized (go figure), Yeti (probably will be out of your price range though) certain Giants, intermediate Trek hardtails, Santa Cruz, and Salsa (probably also out of your range). But as a general list, those are my picks for solid mtn. bikes.
Back on the big S, I am in love with their 9er geometry. I have ridden other 9ers and Specialized just seems to have it on lock down. Go figure though, the past few years they have been trying HARD to push 9ers on the public, and have for the most part gotten rid of their 26in mtn. bikes. Not a good move in my opinion, but at the same time, if you are into 9ers, they kinda kill it.

Wheel size and mtn. biking is something I really don't like to get into much. There is TOO much personal preference, and is over argued. People just need to shut the fuck. up about it and go ride. That being said, I really like 9ers Big smile

Good luck with the search man. Dunno what to tell ya, I couldn't find a single thing that would work for you on CL. If you have any other questions, or postings you want my opinion on, feel free to post it up here. I'll try and offer some insight.

Sweet! Great feedback, I might splurge and spend a little more :)

Also just got a few cell phone bike mounts in the mail from Rokform

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>