Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biking
    Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 10:44am
Originally posted by derbytownjoe

with such nice weather today, i decided to get my steed out and ride a few km down to my fave kiosk in the middle of the woods....

the first 10km sucked!
the beer was good....
the return 10km were better, but still sucked....

my legs and my butt obviously arent used to being back in the saddle again....

10km on what? pretty steep grade?

Shouldn't be tired after 10k....step it up!
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 10:53am

QUOTE=LittleShooey]
Originally posted by batmanwest

What year is it? You have a direct link to the CL ad? I promise not to poach it :)

Just for reference:
Originally posted by Nick

Just came across something that made me kinda sad though. Found a 2010 Schwinn Fastback Elite for $500. Has Shimano Tiagra shifters, carbon forks and seat post, and barely any miles.... Hate being so broke. >.<
[/QUOTE]

Shit...EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed Don't I feel like a fool. LOL

But to answer your question Nick..

For 500 that's not too bad. If I was in your shoes it might take me a while to decide. On one hand, the fastback would be a nice upgrade from your steelie (not that there is anything wrong with your Panasonic, it's just always nice to have a second, lighter, newer bike on hand) but on the other I am not the biggest fan of some of the components on the FB.  Tiagra is pretty decent, will work well for many years and stand up to some decent abuse. I am a huge fan of the 105 line, so that's cool you would have that for the RearD. But the frontD is pretty crap IMO. I can't find a ton of info on what comes with that bike, but I will assume the breaks are single pivot tiagra. Not bad, I had them on my bike for a year or so, but they can have a tendency to have tension issues. A lot. Also the front fork is sub-par, and while it says it's "carbon" the quality of carbon is on the low side and probably weights just as much as the next aluminum or even steel fork out there.

It just depends on how good of a wrench you are, and how much you know about bikes. In this case I probably would just hold off, and try to part together something a little more custom if I had 500 to drop on a bike. If your Panasonic is working well, you already have a bike to ride while you part together and build another rig. But at the same time spring has pretty much sprung and people will be asking a lot more for parts/frames/the like...Winter is the perfect time to build up a bike.

With all that being said, yes, 500 is a pretty solid price for a practically brand new, modern bike that you don't have to piece together. 
Nick View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 1:42pm
If there were a thanks button, I'd definitely use it, haha. Thanks for the insight! Really do want to start a build eventually, but I have no idea where to look for decent priced components.

And the Panasonic I have is nice to ride, but it's definitely on the smaller side. On longer rides I feel fairly cramped. Top bar is a bit too short for me.
I'm here for the point, not the points.
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by rzero

with such nice weather today, i decided to get my steed out and ride a few km down to my fave kiosk in the middle of the woods....

the first 10km sucked!
the beer was good....
the return 10km were better, but still sucked....

my legs and my butt obviously arent used to being back in the saddle again....

10km on what? pretty steep grade?

Shouldn't be tired after 10k....step it up!

it was 10k mud and ice both ways....
made for slow going

and never said i was tired... just that i really noticed that i havent been in the saddle in a cpl months....
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 4:10pm

Originally posted by EpicFAIL

I'm not putting those on until I'm done with the trainer riding.  My back tire has been worn square to all the trainer miles I've put on it.  LOL

What trainer do you use?
Ever think about making the switch over to a roller style trainer? I hardly get any wear when using a roller compared to a traditional trainer. On a side note, a tire I have found hold up to the wear of training is the Specialized Armadillo.

I have been on the trainer A LOT, and these are the tires I got with the bike ages ago.  I am pretty stoked about getting new ones put on (Continental).  
Currently, I use a fluid trainer.  I have thought of rollers, but am totally afraid of falling off.  My friend does have one, and I might give it a go before one of my big rides.  My friend says that it's a great humbler and makes you realize how to ride smoothly quickly as it'll buck you if you don't.Ouch  If it does, I'll make sure to post pictures of the bruises LOL
I might be able to get out on the road again this weekend as I see a break in the weather!!!

Good job Joe for getting out there!  10k of miserableness (there and back), but you'll be glad you did it tomorrow, right?
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 4:14pm
10k there and 10k back.... it was 20k!!!!

read ppl read!!!!! Tongue

oh ill be glad surely... but its just another reminder of how out of shape i am.... :-/
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 4:20pm
HEY!!!  Take it easy on derbytownjoe, as you can see in the photo he is a bit older and out of shape.  Sweet bike, though.

EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 4:23pm

10k there and 10k back.... it was 20k!!!!

read ppl read!!!!! Tongue

oh ill be glad surely... but its just another reminder of how out of shape i am.... :-/
Oh I read it right... with a beer in between LOL

And joe, my daughter would LOOOOOOOOOVE those streamers.  Wherever did you find them???
Nick View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 7:08pm
Anyone ever do a road to fixie conversion? Thinking about starting to start trying it out by finding old roadies on CL and converting them. Guess they're the "in" thing now, so they're selling for ridiculous prices... Would be nice to jump into the market, haha. Also would help me get some practice working with them when I decide to start my own build.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 7:42pm
Seems like all bikes are selling for ridiculous prices these days.

I just want a simple road bike for commuting to work when it gets warmer.
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
Nick View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 7:49pm
Still pretty interesting jumping on CL and looking at the prices there though... Can get, say, a Raleigh Record 10-speed for like $160-180, yet you find that same bike but a fixie for $300+. Honestly haven't seen a fixie drop below the $250 mark, but have found plenty of 10-speeds below $100. Albeit, they're not in the best condition, but still. Doing a conversion, you're replacing the cassette and main crank anyways, which means you're also removing the derailleurs, and can sometimes even get away with removing the brakes. All you really have to clean up is the frame and wheels.

Pay more for much less... I really don't get it. But hey, guess that's what fads do to people.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 8:55pm

If there were a thanks button, I'd definitely use it, haha. Thanks for the insight! Really do want to start a build eventually, but I have no idea where to look for decent priced components.

No worries. It's technically my job now to know everything humanly possible about bikes. I have always known a decent amount, but being a wrench for a local shop I really got to be on my game. LOL
It does take some money to get into building up bikes. That, or friends with lots of tools. As for decently priced parts, just getting to know and talk with the kids that work at your local shop (assuming you have one) is one of the best ways to start. That and just boning up on what parts are compatible to the type of frame you are working with.

Originally posted by EpicFail

I have been on the trainer A LOT, and these are the tires I got with the bike ages ago.  I am pretty stoked about getting new ones put on (Continental).  
Currently, I use a fluid trainer.  I have thought of rollers, but am totally afraid of falling off.  My friend does have one, and I might give it a go before one of my big rides.  My friend says that it's a great humbler and makes you realize how to ride smoothly quickly as it'll buck you if you don't.Ouch  If it does, I'll make sure to post pictures of the bruises LOL

What conti's are you getting?

As for falling off rollers....it...it can happen. Hahah. But honestly it doesn't take long to get the feel for them. My biggest piece of advice is to ride next to a wall, and a tall chair on the opposite side. What am I talking about, you are married with kids. Make one of them be at your side, and balance off of them :)

Honestly though, when it comes down to it. I always try to just suit up for whatever kind of weather is going on when I want to ride, rather than break out the trainer. It adds a certain thickness of grit to your soul, in a good way.

DTJoe, nice ride man! Only thing is, you need to raise that seat up a little. Your legs shouldn't be that cramped when the petal is all the way down. Big smile

Anyone ever do a road to fixie conversion? Thinking about starting to start trying it out by finding old roadies on CL and converting them. Guess they're the "in" thing now, so they're selling for ridiculous prices... Would be nice to jump into the market, haha. Also would help me get some practice working with them when I decide to start my own build.

I have never personally done one, but know many friends who have. They say it's pretty simple. I mean, for the most part you are just stripping the bike down to bare bones. Fixies are "in" right now, and have been for a few years. I don't get it. Sure they are fun, and I even own one...but some of these ultra-hipsters just blow my mind. Also, for anyone wanting, getting, or building a fixie..PUT A DAMN BRAKE ON IT! At least one. Just one. Just a front brake. You are not impressing anyone by riding with no brakes, you make the rest of us look like assholes when you blow into the side of a car because you couldn't stop in time, you make it dangerous to even ride next to you, and you are not saving that much weight by having both brakes off. Dead bleh...sorry, tangent.

And as far as all bikes selling for high prices these days, yeah..for a good chunk of the market that is true, but at the same time think about what you get for your money. Say you buy a bike in the 500-800 dollar range. Yeah, that's a bit of cash up front, and will take most of us a bit to save up for. BUT, you get something that transports you all around town without having to put fuel into it. You don't have to carry insurance on the thing. Days of fun. And will last you (if you take care of it) years...decades really. My current "daily rider" is from 2006. Last I remember, the bike has something like 10-12 thousand miles on it. Still running strong, and will for another 6 years before I will really have to think about replacing major parts.

I get what you all are saying about "older" bikes though. Prices really have shot up a ton in the past 3 or 4 years. Most people you can talk down on price though. Just depends on what components, if any, were swapped out or upgraded. You might pay more for "less" physical bike, but if they put a real nice crank, BB, and wheel set on it when they converted the bike, that could add anywhere 100-1000 dollars to the bike. Me, I don't mind spending money on those 3 things..and I have. Embarrassed

Nick View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2012 at 6:03pm
Well.... guess I'm gonna have to stick with the bike I have right now regardless of what I wanted to do before... Cry

Seriously sucks... I had bought it refurbished years back, and I can't really tell if this was due to a bad repair job or what, but it just got knocked over from standing up onto my literally almost shag carpet and just broke right off. Of all the times I've dropped it, its softest fall is the one that kills it...
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 5:25am
BMW, here are the tires I have... http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/continental-grand-prix-4000 in yellow.
I do like your idea of grit, dressing in the clothing and accessories you need to get the job done.  Granted, riding on the road is TOOOONSSSSSSS better than riding on the trainer, but I just haven't gotten used to riding long distances in the pitch black and rain.  I have ridden in the dark, but only in my 6 mile commute to work.  And if I'm going to be riding in the rain, I would rather ride on my mtn bike.

I got a 15+ mile ride in on the trainer on Saturday and then a 25+ mile bike ride in with my hubby yesterday!  It was wonderful getting out on the road.  The hills were brutal, especially when a couple of bikers got in front of me during the middle of the hill.  I basically had to stop for them (and get the momentum back up).  This is only about 1/4 of ONE of the days' worth of riding for the Seattle to Portland ride in July, two days back to back.  This is going to be a tough bit of training to get to that point.
nots0kind View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
wattup box

Quote nots0kind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 5:29am
I have the same tires ^^^ and they are great i got the red tread my bike is white and red all repainted and the color stays on the tire not painted on its a sick setup
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 5:47am
Originally posted by nots0kind

I have the same tires ^^^ and they are great i got the red tread my bike is white and red all repainted and the color stays on the tire not painted on its a sick setup
I am looking forward to putting them on my bike, but want to make sure I'm off the trainer before I do that.  Either way, I'll be putting them on for my duathlon on April 7, so look for pictures then.
Before then, I hope to take pictures of the old tires.  They are fantastic!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 4:54pm
Man...that really, really sucks Nick. Sorry for your loss!

Epic, those tires are solid. Used to rock them a few years ago (also in yellow) and they have fantastic flat protection. Also, once you get about 100 miles on them, they are super grippy. You can really lay the bike down with the 4000's.

Right now I am rocking a Vittoria Open Corsa Evo on the front, and a Michelin Lithion on the rear (in the teal to match my bike). I love the combo, and will have a hard time ever switching. I used to rock the vittoria's on both wheels, but got way too many flats on my rear. I mean...they are a track tire with little to no flat protection, and I always had the PSI set around 135 like a jack ass. But once I put the Michelin on the rear, I haven't had a single flat in the rear in about 2 years. The sidewall grip on both is pretty insane. I can almost corner like a race motorcycle with these beasts! LOL
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 6:27am

Man...that really, really sucks Nick. Sorry for your loss!

Epic, those tires are solid. Used to rock them a few years ago (also in yellow) and they have fantastic flat protection. Also, once you get about 100 miles on them, they are super grippy. You can really lay the bike down with the 4000's.

Right now I am rocking a Vittoria Open Corsa Evo on the front, and a Michelin Lithion on the rear (in the teal to match my bike). I love the combo, and will have a hard time ever switching. I used to rock the vittoria's on both wheels, but got way too many flats on my rear. I mean...they are a track tire with little to no flat protection, and I always had the PSI set around 135 like a jack ass. But once I put the Michelin on the rear, I haven't had a single flat in the rear in about 2 years. The sidewall grip on both is pretty insane. I can almost corner like a race motorcycle with these beasts! LOL
Even with the squared off tires now, I have only had to replace a tube once on my back.  It's going to be great flat protection, but I'm sure nothing like those.  I am super stoked to get them on my bike though.  I will definitely be using them this year with my duathlon and STP training and ride. 
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 12:20pm
I got hit by an suv running a red today at lunch...time for a new bike :(
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 12:21pm
BOOOOO!!!!

did he keep going? or did he at least stop?

new and better bike in the near future?
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 12:23pm

BOOOOO!!!!

did he keep going? or did he at least stop?

new and better bike in the near future?

Yeah he stopped, ran my foot over in the process...guy was really nice about everything though.

New bike for sure, just have no idea what to get....I really like this one.
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 2:02pm
What is wrong with people!? So happy to hear you're okay though. 

I'm glad he stopped, its the cyclist that usually gets dinged for running lights. Dead

Side story, today coming home the local high school kids were walking/riding out against traffic. We're in a fairly small town, so the high school and the middle school are only about a block apart. The town gave the schools fairly large, paved walking paths so its not uncommon to see walkers/bikers moving both with and against traffic. We were riding, coming up to one of the school entrances when this batshit crazy woman nearly nails two kids, one on bike and one on a skateboard. 

There was no on coming traffic and no intent to slow down once she realized the kids were already crossing for the entrance. I don't know why I didn't chase her down and say something. The kids weren't even phased.  My best guess says she saw us in the bike lane a ways up the street when she made her decision to turn. No regard for the two boys (or the other half a dozen groups of kids coming down the road path).

Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 4:13pm

that sentence can be interpreted 2 ways.  You ran a red or he ran a red?

anyway, unless the forks are completely ruined and irreplaceable, the bike just needs a new front wheel (?)
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Piranha

anyway, unless the forks are completely ruined and irreplaceable, the bike just needs a new front wheel (?)

Even if the fork is thrashed, and judging from the photo it seems to be, there really isn't much reason to replace the bike.

There are far too many more factors to think about first though. It's pretty obvious, but all the welds, components, and straightness of tubes should be checked over. Most important being the weld points.
Actually, the most important thing is if the suv ran the red, that their insurance covers the damages to the bike. It can be a real pain in the ass sometimes to get the guilty party to pay up, but they need to pay if they are at fault.

Glad you aren't hurt man! Odds usually don't pan out the best for bikes when they meet cars. Is there any other noticeable damage to the bike rzero? 
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 9:08pm
so ridiculous to think about how pricey some of the higher end bikes can get. i have a motorcycle for under 4k and that thing is just had a tad more on it. you know, like an engine, transmission, caliper brake system, suspension, etc....
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2012 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by sleeepili

so ridiculous to think about how pricey some of the higher end bikes can get. i have a motorcycle for under 4k and that thing is just had a tad more on it. you know, like an engine, transmission, caliper brake system, suspension, etc....

It sounds like you're comparing a competition bike to a used mid-range motorcycle. Outside of both having two wheels I don't really see what your point is. Both are nice, but they're apples and oranges. 
It's kind of like me saying that I have a really nice RV, top of the line with flat screens and pop out panels, but for the same price I can get a decent home in a half decent neighbor hood. It's personal preference. The argument just doesn't apply. 

EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2012 at 7:15am
That's rough rzero.  I would definitely look into replacing the bike if the other guy is at fault.  I would also look to sell anything off that bike that isn't totally effed.

I got a great ride with my hubby this weekend.  We were hoping to get a 20 mile loop in, but the cut-off road was not maintained during the summer and we missed it.  We ended up turning around at 15 miles and got a 30 mile ride in.  Not a bad day on the bike.
The wind was intense though... really the worst wind conditions I've experienced in a while.  It was good learning how to draft with him, as we haven't worked on that before.  It was a great ride!
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 6:56am
Originally posted by Piranha

Hah yeah reading it now, it sounds like I ran the red. He ran a red light hitting me while I was legally crossing the intersection.

as for the fork, hard to tell in the photo but they got a good twist....so much so they are hard to move now. Hard to say how much stress that put on the frame, bike shop even said it wasn't worth a repair attempt.

End result, guy took care of getting something new to replace it.
'12 Trek District w/ belt drive
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 7:23am
Photo isn't showing!
Good on him for replacing it, hows your foot?

Also, good on the shop for not attempting to repair the damaged bike. I'm with BMW on the hidden stress fractures (and possibly compromised welds), they only lead to catastrophic failures. 

Glad things are going well!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 2:39pm

Thumbs UpThumbs Up Niiiice! Glad the dude didn't try to fight it, which seems to happen with almost every bike/auto crash I have ever heard of.

That's a sweet little ride you got now dude. I have always wanted to ride a belt driven bike, just never have had the chance. Such a slick design. Let us know what you think of the belt drive!

Jealous. Well...kinda, sucks you got hit, but just jealous of the new whip. 

Thumbs Up
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 2:40pm
BMW, 
I'd put money down that you'd risk a broken foot for a new belt drive Trek. LOL
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by LittleShooey

BMW, 
I'd put money down that you'd risk a broken foot for a new belt drive Trek. LOL

Mayyyybe. LOL

Nah, I don't need another road bike. I would risk a broken foot for this though..

EDIT: Image location didn't work. Here is a direct link to the bike I am pining over.. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=61539&scid=1100&scname=Mountain

Although, it doesn't have to be the s-works carbon edition....I would take a lower model in the same family Big smile
Really, really want a mtn bike now though, in all seriousness. Being around them all day, building/fixing them all day....it's killing me.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 3:14pm
What's a carbon bike like offroad? 

Besides light, higher risk of structural issue or does the super suspension basically wipe that element off the table?

Also, $10K!? jeezus.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 3:28pm

What's a carbon bike like offroad? 

Besides light, higher risk of structural issue or does the super suspension basically wipe that element off the table?

Also, $10K!? jeezus.

I have never ridden a carbon frame on the trails, but a few of my friends do and they love it. But really that's all I know about how it handles...is just that they like it.

With the amount of suspension travel a bike like that has, I would assume any vibration you normally get with carbon is not an issue. That..and you are riding off road, there is constant vibration. Structural issue is there...it is carbon and all, but I would once again assume the suspension would take care of a lot of that. But, with mtn. biking, you always have the higher risk of falling/crashing into something which could shatter a frame as opposed to steel or aluminum that could possibly get away with just a ding in the same crash.
At the same time though, carbon has come along way, and with a price tag of 10 large, you can bet that is some high-ass-quality carbon LOL

And yeah...10k is..well..pretty insane. Like I said, I would settle with one of the lower end models in that family. A coworker and friend of mine just picked up the "Comp" version of this bike which goes for 3300. Much better price hahah. He got a hell of a deal on a closeout last year model, and picked his up for just under 1400. Such a sexy, sexy mud slingin machine. He got his in the "Captin 'Merica" paint scheme.

not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2012 at 5:47pm
Man if someone hit me with a car while I was on a bike I'd be livid.  
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2012 at 12:32pm

Thumbs UpThumbs Up Niiiice! Glad the dude didn't try to fight it, which seems to happen with almost every bike/auto crash I have ever heard of.

That's a sweet little ride you got now dude. I have always wanted to ride a belt driven bike, just never have had the chance. Such a slick design. Let us know what you think of the belt drive!

Jealous. Well...kinda, sucks you got hit, but just jealous of the new whip. 

Thumbs Up

He had no hope to win if he did try to fight it....the light was still red after I got up and the cross walk had a good 6 seconds remaining.

That and about 6 people that witnessed it offered me their info.
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2012 at 1:41pm

Structural issue is there...it is carbon and all, but I would once again assume the suspension would take care of a lot of that. But, with mtn. biking, you always have the higher risk of falling/crashing into something which could shatter a frame as opposed to steel or aluminum that could possibly get away with just a ding in the same crash.
At the same time though, carbon has come along way, and with a price tag of 10 large, you can bet that is some high-ass-quality carbon LOL

Take a look at this link from Santa Cruz and pinkbike.com.  It's pretty intense what they put those bikes through.  My concern would be after you put that much stress on it, how it would handle (with the bike that didn't break).  If it'd break the other test quicker???

I have a 2008 specialized saphire (not the S-Works, I'm thinking the expert???), and I absolutely love it.  That's the bike that will be getting those pretty pink braided cables.  I will be posting pictures once I get those on there.
Before I had the saphire, I had a Rocky Mountain hard tail.  I still have it in the garage and am hoping to sell it soon.  It's going to be tough to let go of that bike.  It was my first bike since I was a teen...

EDIT: In engineering terms (strength of materials class), the carbon break is considered a catastrophic failure because the break is instant with little to no warning.  The other bike, although it doesn't break as quickly, the failure is considered a safer failure.  That's because you'll have notice before you pop it....
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2012 at 4:10pm
Schwinn 26' bike. :)
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2012 at 8:18pm

Take a look at this link from Santa Cruz and pinkbike.com.  It's pretty intense what they put those bikes through.  My concern would be after you put that much stress on it, how it would handle (with the bike that didn't break).  If it'd break the other test quicker???

I have a 2008 specialized saphire (not the S-Works, I'm thinking the expert???), and I absolutely love it.  That's the bike that will be getting those pretty pink braided cables.  I will be posting pictures once I get those on there.
Before I had the saphire, I had a Rocky Mountain hard tail.  I still have it in the garage and am hoping to sell it soon.  It's going to be tough to let go of that bike.  It was my first bike since I was a teen...

EDIT: In engineering terms (strength of materials class), the carbon break is considered a catastrophic failure because the break is instant with little to no warning.  The other bike, although it doesn't break as quickly, the failure is considered a safer failure.  That's because you'll have notice before you pop it....

I am SOLD on Carbon! Wow, what a great batch of tests. Some epic failures, too. Okay, so maybe I won't be building off a carbon frame anytime soon but I've definitely learned something tonight. 
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2012 at 5:57am

I am SOLD on Carbon! Wow, what a great batch of tests. Some epic failures, too. Okay, so maybe I won't be building off a carbon frame anytime soon but I've definitely learned something tonight. 
I do like that both of the carbon frames that they tested were already USED bikes versus the new Aluminum ones.  And it's not like my "used" bike where I ride it twice or three times a month.  It's a bike that probably gets taken out and jumped, especially the one from the sponsored rider.
When they started bashing the frame against the concrete post, it was like I could feel the ringing in my ears.....

BMW, sorry for pushing you to a carbon (expensive) mtn bike.  Now you're going to drool even more.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2012 at 6:00am

BMW, sorry for pushing you to a carbon (expensive) mtn bike.  Now you're going to drool even more.

Heh....this is nothing. It's my time spent at work that kills me. Maybe I'll snap off a few pictures of what I have to deal with every time I work. So much sexy carbon sitting around. So much.....too much...LOL
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2012 at 12:30pm
Back in action!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2012 at 12:44pm
Good to hear! I want to hear all about the difference in belt v chain. Internal hub?

Side note: I'll be adding some progress photos of my frame painting tonight (hopefully)!

Epic, it was the fact that the used carbon outdid the new aluminum that just blew me away. Maybe there was some kind of beneficial "warming up" effect from the used bike? Who knows. 

Someone knows...
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2012 at 10:22am

Back in action!

LIKE!!!!

anyways.... went for a 25k jaunt this afternoon

tomorrow (with the weather we're having) starts the season of the sunday expat beergarten bike rides!

start it off easy with a 60k'er
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 5:59pm

Back in action!
Awesome!  Very pretty.
I'm looking forward to hearing some feedback!!!
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ianbejamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 6:26pm
my old bike was the aluminum you guys were mentioning but i now like the carbon too. It's just so much cleaner and nice overall. But still, after awhile i begin to not notice it anymore.
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 7:27pm
i have an alloy road bike and i love it.. tried out carbon bikes, but couldnt justify the price difference...
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 10:36am

Back in action!
Awesome!  Very pretty.
I'm looking forward to hearing some feedback!!!

Did a quick 15 or so miles this weekend...my ass is killing me adjusting to the new saddle.

overall, I love it.

this single speed is geared slightly higher than my old so it can be a little hard at times(uphill) when going slow. 

pedaling, taking off, speeding up is very solid, very smooth and very quiet.

the ride itself is a bit rough compared to the old ride, tires are thinner and more road oriented but that's a small adjust I need to make.
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 10:41am

Back in action!

Thanks boss?
MOAR powderz plz!
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 10:57am
Originally posted by MTpow

Back in action!

Thanks boss?

Thanks guy who hit me, i'm sure the boss will like it though!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>