Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biking
    Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by ianbejamin

i just learned how to repair a tube in my mountain bike's tire today. Ohhhh yea. I thought yall would be impressed haha. I can't even imagine what it would be like on a road bike. Than again, i'm definitely not an expert.
The tube on the Mt bike is one of the easiest fix to repair depending on the damage though,Do you use the ol' patch & glue repair or tire sealant. I've found a good way to slime presta valves 700c tubes did it on my fixed gear but I haven't done any riding this season because i need a front wheel to replace my aerospoke i got rid of.
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 1:13am
I have a Giant hybrid. Pretty good for getting round on. Sadly I don't get much of a chance to use it often.
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 3:56am
Originally posted by bootleg

The tube on the Mt bike is one of the easiest fix to repair depending on the damage though,Do you use the ol' patch & glue repair or tire sealant. I've found a good way to slime presta valves 700c tubes did it on my fixed gear but I haven't done any riding this season because i need a front wheel to replace my aerospoke i got rid of.

Patches on a tube are really only meant to be a temp fix if you are stranded out on a trail, or a long ride or something. Really shouldn't ride around with those things for too long. Don't get me wrong, I have done it as well, but it's just not good practice if you ask me.

Also, don't slime your tubes. I mean, do what ya want for sure, but I don't see any need for the slime. Not only does it add a massive amount of roll weight, it can unbalance a wheel real fast, makes it harder to change once it finally does blow out. Invest the few dollars in a better tire. Sorry, I just really, reeeeaaaallllllyyyy hate slime for bike tires. Fine for cars (I guess) but it's a real ghetto replacement for riding better tires.

If anyone ever wants to learn new things about their bikes, check out the park bike videos. As in the parkbike company (not trick bikes). Will find a link to them later, but right now I need meh coffee and get my ass to work.
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 10:59am
Just received my Pa'ke cranks and my crank puller (more work to be done)
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote dlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 11:11am
I think it's time for me to invest in a good road bike but being cheap I can't justify paying $1k for a good bike considering www.bikesdirect.com has plenty around my price range ($600-ish).  Unfortunately after doing some googling, bikesdirect doesn't have the best reputation and their lesser known brands they sell have a similar reputation.  I've been looking on CL but haven't found anything too good although I don't really know what a "good deal" is.  Should I go ahead and pull the trigger on this?
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/liberty_3.htm
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 11:47am
Originally posted by dlaw

I think it's time for me to invest in a good road bike but being cheap I can't justify paying $1k for a good bike considering www.bikesdirect.com has plenty around my price range ($600-ish).  Unfortunately after doing some googling, bikesdirect doesn't have the best reputation and their lesser known brands they sell have a similar reputation.  I've been looking on CL but haven't found anything too good although I don't really know what a "good deal" is.  Should I go ahead and pull the trigger on this?

check out Performance Bikes.  their house brand is Scattate or something and they are manufactured along side the big names (Like the Nidecker of snowboarding fame) and have decent components.  Shimano 105's would do you just fine, Ultegra is about the top any recreationalist would ever need, Dura-Ace is overkill for anyone not racing.  
-zakk

dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote dlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 3:32pm
Thanks for the info zakk.  I have browsed Performance Bikes before.  They have a Fuji Roubaix for $600 which seems like a good deal.  However, it seems like most if not all of their bikes are only available for instore pickup and there are no stores in Boston.  I talked to a salesperson at my local bike shop but after I told him my low budget he pretty much said there's no chance of getting a decent new bike at that price.  He suggested I get a used one instead but seems like slim picking around here.
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 6:29pm

Patches on a tube are really only meant to be a temp fix if you are stranded out on a trail, or a long ride or something. Really shouldn't ride around with those things for too long. Don't get me wrong, I have done it as well, but it's just not good practice if you ask me.

Also, don't slime your tubes. I mean, do what ya want for sure, but I don't see any need for the slime. Not only does it add a massive amount of roll weight, it can unbalance a wheel real fast, makes it harder to change once it finally does blow out. Invest the few dollars in a better tire. Sorry, I just really, reeeeaaaallllllyyyy hate slime for bike tires. Fine for cars (I guess) but it's a real ghetto replacement for riding better tires.

I normally use regular tubes but where i'm from and ride we have alot of potholes and shtooked up pavements, so normally a patched tube would last me about 2 weeks depending how much abuse it takes, so i figure i try out sliming my tubes for once and from that i'd never really had any problems with it otherwise it being a complete mess when there's a big gash..but clean up is quick now im just using 2 mm thick puncture resistant tubes with gator skins.
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 7:12pm
^^
Strange, that wasn't Dlaw's post. 

Does anyone use liners? Admittedly, they wouldn't be much help with bad pavement, but they should be good for punctures. 

I've heard good things about Schwalbe tires (Marathons?) if you want a tough to blow, high mileage tire. 
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by bootleg

Quote batmanwest, get it right son! LOL

I normally use regular tubes but where i'm from and ride we have alot of potholes and shtooked up pavements, so normally a patched tube would last me about 2 weeks depending how much abuse it takes, so i figure i try out sliming my tubes for once and from that i'd never really had any problems with it otherwise it being a complete mess when there's a big gash..but clean up is quick now im just using 2 mm thick puncture resistant tubes with gator skins.

Slime can also prove to be a hindrance anytime you want to pump up your tires (which depending on climate, can be every week. At least it is for me).
IMO, when it comes to fixing flats, the only option is replacing the tube. No patches, no slime, nothing. It sucks because sometimes I find myself in a rut with like 2 flats a week for a month, but the universe works itself out, and then you don't have one for a year or so. We have a bunch of potholes/fucked up pavement/brick roads/glass in my town too. Just takes some time learning different routes (if it's an option) and just keeping a constant eye out for various and changing conditions.

Honestly, when it comes down to it. This isn't a bad whip, at a not-so-bad price. I want to start off by clearly stating I know nothing about the brand Gravity. I have no idea how their frames ride, how the welds are, what tech they use with their frame geometry. I don't know the level of carbon they use, or what their saddles are like. What I do know, is everything else on the bike.

Overall, the component lineup is pretty decent for a 600 dollar bike, new. One thing that gets me a little is how they do not specify who makes the BB (bottom bracket). The Tiagra shifters and derailleurs are a SOLID product. Been rocking Tiagra shifters and front derailleur for 6 years now. Almost zero issue with them. As long as you keep them clean, and lubed up, they will work for close to a decade for you before you absolutely should change them out.

The Shimano chain and cassette are also solid.

Alex rims are also a decent entry level wheel set. Although, I do find it funny that they use Specialized as a "comparison" for price, and how their bikes are way more expensive....seeing as Alex rims are a side company of Specialized. Maybe it's just me nerding out. LOL

"Formula" hubs are pretty generic. They will work just fine for you for about a year, tops, until you might want to swap them out. Definitely not something you want to waste the money re-building (new bearings, repack grease, new cones). The brakes are lack luster.

One thing I would like to touch on, is the gearing. 30 gears is useless. Seriously. Really. Seriously. You don't need that many gears. Honestly, you only really need 2 cogs up front for a road bike. If you need the smallest chain ring, you need to get your ass back in shape, and you need a quick briefing on how to efficiently use gears. On this subject, I will say (once again all in my own opinion and personal taste) I would never buy a bike/wheel set that is a 10 speed. As in a rear cassette that is 10 gears/speed. Once again because I feel 18 is the most anyone ever needs (unless you are a crazy crit road racer, even then just man up LOL) but also 10 speed chains cost more. Almost 10 dollars more! Weird how that works out.  

Oh, and the head set is decent. When it comes down to it, almost anything made by cane creek is better then the leading brand.

Also, while I am at it, I am going to touch on that websites price argument. While I can't speak for trek, or fuji, or Giant, or Felt, or any other bike company, Specialized is pretty bad ass when it comes to frame building and service. Any bike bought by a Specialized dealer offers free "life time" tune ups. Within reason of course. But non the less, a  solid plan they offer, and that is why a new bike from an authorized dealer of these bikes costs more. That, and you are going to get quite a few more upgraded components than you will with a bike like the one listed above. You really do get what you pay for. Just like anything else, a name that has been around for years tend to have a better grasp on how to make their product. A name that has a pro team or two with winning titles under it's belt might know a thing or two than the smaller guy. More money to dump into research. Not saying there aren't baller ass frame makers out there that are the small guys, but if you want one of those....trust me, you are going to PAY.

I guess what I am getting to in the short, too long, DN, is that yeah, 700 for that bike is an okay price. What I am trying to say is some times you have to pay to play. OR, know what to look for and know how to build/work on a bike yourself. Think of it this way, if you pony up just over a grand for a "bigger name" bike builder/company, those kinds of bikes are built to last decades. And when it comes down to it, what's just over a grand for transportation that doesn't take gas, hardly much work, gets you in shape, and is fun. Think of it as snowboarding. If you buy new and "high end" you get a board that will last what, 5 seasons or so before it starts to get a little worn down, old, or change up for something else?

Going to stop typing, I feel the more I write, the less I make sense.  Bottom line, as a bike mechanic and enthusiast, I would not buy that bike.
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by LittleShooey

I've heard good things about Schwalbe tires (Marathons?) if you want a tough to blow, high mileage tire. 

ive been using the marathon plus MTB for 2500km now and theyre maybe just under half-tread.
AAAANNNNNDDDD they roll really easy and make barely any noise at all!

the only downside to the marathon plus tires are that they weigh considerably more....
but not having to worry/think about flats is worth it IMO

oh and the 2.1 MTB's are not that wide... prolly more like a wide 1.9 or a 2.0
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 7:39pm

^^

Does anyone use liners? Admittedly, they wouldn't be much help with bad pavement, but they should be good for punctures. 

Never used liners, but honestly I never will. I guess I am just never too worried about getting a flat. Knock on wood and all, but I ride with fairly high end race tires with little to no flat protection. Right now I have a Vittoria Open corsa evo CX. A mouthful, I know. LOL

For the rear I just picked up a Specialized Turbo elite. Love them both, and will always choose a lightweight, folding bead "race" tire over anything else any day. (This is all for road bikes by the way, I still have yet to have an acceptable mtn. bike Unhappy)

Anyways, that all being said, I would recommend the Specialized Armadillo tire for the best flat protection (road use). I also assure you that I don't just say the because I am a wrench for Specialized. The armadillo is hands down the most resilient, puncture proof, well made, well rolling "puncture proof" tire on the market. Out of any I have used, and friends, and family, and customers, the dillo beats anything made by the others. Full Kevlar wraps, bead to bead. Thick center (the part that actually makes contact) but still grips like a dream. The tire is on the heavy side, and slightly larger than a "race" tire, but if flat protection is your number one priority, then it's the tire for you.  
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 8:59pm
But do the 'dillos have a reflective sidewall? Noooo... LOL 

Speaking of Specialized, the bike in question earlier is an Sp. Expedition Hybrid. 

Similar geometry to this:

dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote dlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 2:43am
Thanks for the insight batman.  Obviously I want the best bang for my buck and have it last a long time.  Luckily there are a lot of bike shops in and around Boston but I'm guessing with summer coming it is probably not the greatest time to get a good deal.
This shop near where I live has a pretty good reputation:
http://wheelworks.com/product-list/bikes-1000/road-1001/sport-performance-1002/?sort=priceasc
Looks like there are plenty of name brand bikes in my budget.  How does the Masi Alare look?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 4:17am
I ordered my first fixed gear from bikesdirect.com and loved it. For the price you can't go wrong but unfortunately I sold it to fund my wedding.

Windsor The Hour (upgraded stem, handle bars and crank)
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 6:40am

Thanks for the insight batman.  Obviously I want the best bang for my buck and have it last a long time.  Luckily there are a lot of bike shops in and around Boston but I'm guessing with summer coming it is probably not the greatest time to get a good deal.
This shop near where I live has a pretty good reputation:
http://wheelworks.com/product-list/bikes-1000/road-1001/sport-performance-1002/?sort=priceasc
Looks like there are plenty of name brand bikes in my budget.  How does the Masi Alare look?

Ummm...is the price right on that web site for the Alare? It says it is on sale for $56.10. If that really is the price, jump on that shit! Buy 5 of them! When it comes down to my opinion on the Masi, I would need to know the price. But in reality, I wouldn't spend over 400 on that bike. Slightly better than the one you posted last night, but not a ton.

Looking at that site there are a few bikes that I am actually surprised at their prices. If you bump your budget up to 700-ish, you could get a pretty awesome bike. I notice they have a few models of the Specialized Allez. I can't talk enough good about that bike. I have been riding an 06' Allez comp for 6 years now. Almost zero issue, and I beat the piss out of my bikes. After flipping through a few pages of that site, My money would be on an Allez. But when it comes down to it, buying a bike that you are going to love, is just like buying snowboard boots. Go get fitted. Go test ride a few different models. Just because most road bikes look alike, there are hundreds of small tweaks done to each company, changing the geometry of the frame to suit different styles. You will never know if a bike is right for you until you ride it. So if you have a few bike stores around your town, go dedicate a day or two to getting a few test rides in.

Good luck in your search mate!

EDIT: Oh, and some shops could very well be offering sales on their bikes. The winter is HARD on a shop, and most will usually run a "spring sale" to try and move all of last years bikes. I know our shop does it, and some of our year old models are marked down as low as 600 dollars to a 1000 off msrp. Just gotta shop around. Oh, and the smaller, non-corporate shops you might be able to haggle a little bit. Don't beat their balls in, but you might be able to get a light, or rack, or some small purchase for the bike thrown in with it.
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote dlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 7:21am
Thanks again batman.  My guess it's a price mistake, maybe add a 0 to make it $561.00?  I'll probably stop by the shop some time this week.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 7:36am

Thanks again batman.  My guess it's a price mistake, maybe add a 0 to make it $561.00?  I'll probably stop by the shop some time this week.

Ha! You should screen print that page and bring it with you to the store. Hold em to that price LOL

Oh, and no worries, If you (or anyone else) has any questions about a bike, or wheel set, components or anything bike related, please feel free to hang a question out there for me. I usually don't have much of a life, and I assure you any questions will be answered within a day or so, hahah. Not trying to claim that I know everything about bikes, but I do know an okay amount and learning more each day. While I love snowboarding, and know a decent amount about sticks, it doesn't compare to what I know about bikes. I like to talk shop, and try to get everyone I know on a bike.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 8:45am
Well...it's official. I am putting off my motobecane build, to give my wifey something nice. She has a pretty nice road bike (trek 2.1) but the paint job I did on it 2 years ago has always bothered me. The thing was plagued from the start. From a bad can of paint, to ex-coworkers fingering the shit out of it while it was still wet, to cut outs not working how I wanted, it just has always bothered me how shitty her paint turned out.

Taking that beast into work today, to tear it down and repaint. Getting a little ambitious on this one, trying to have it done in 7 days. If the temps/humidity stays the same for the weekend, I should have a small window of painting temps. If that happens I should be able to make that 7 day deadline.

Here is to hoping everything goes smoothly! I will be taking countless photos of the process for anyone that is interested (I think that number is small, but at least one or three of you seem interested in this stuff).  
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 9:06am
Originally posted by batmanwest

Well...it's official. I am putting off my motobecane build, to give my wifey something nice. She has a pretty nice road bike (trek 2.1) but the paint job I did on it 2 years ago has always bothered me. The thing was plagued from the start. From a bad can of paint, to ex-coworkers fingering the shit out of it while it was still wet, to cut outs not working how I wanted, it just has always bothered me how shitty her paint turned out.

Taking that beast into work today, to tear it down and repaint. Getting a little ambitious on this one, trying to have it done in 7 days. If the temps/humidity stays the same for the weekend, I should have a small window of painting temps. If that happens I should be able to make that 7 day deadline.

Here is to hoping everything goes smoothly! I will be taking countless photos of the process for anyone that is interested (I think that number is small, but at least one or three of you seem interested in this stuff).  

Nice! Lets see some before/afters
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 9:19am
Originally posted by rzero

Nice! Lets see some before/afters

Second! I want to see how much damage these guys did to the wet paint, preop. I had my frame cure for a week before I started working on it. 

Also, finished the outer shells for the seat tube last night. It looks like I'll have some decals coming my way. Ohh, it's gonna be good!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 3:56pm
Well, it was a crappy day at the shop, messed up a write up, boss scolded me a bit, I got down...so I didn't get any pictures of the bike complete before. I guess the most important part I wanted to show was the color, but kinda pissed at myself for not getting a complete before picture. Either way, here is a picture of the frame before sanding/painting. You get the point. Super blue. So much GD blue. Rims are blue as well. Second picture are all the components spread out at my stand/table.

Can't decide if I want to sand and prep tomorrow, or if I want to clean all the components. I do have a lot already on my docket for the day tomorrow, so will probably just end up cleaning things instead of sanding.

If you look closely on the top tube you can see the paint scratched off down to bare metal. Happened when some dicks tried to steal the bike last year downtown.

All the components spread out on my work table.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 10:18am
Don't let them get you down BMW! It's funny how a bike, completely torn apart, still doesn't take up any space in a shop. Well, relative to cars at least. 

I've been working on my diamonds!

rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 10:57am

Don't let them get you down BMW! It's funny how a bike, completely torn apart, still doesn't take up any space in a shop. Well, relative to cars at least. 

I've been working on my diamonds!

Coming along nicely!

Updated on the Trek:
Hasn't given a single issue....the tires/tube are great! (Bontrager Race All-Weather Hard-Case, 700x28c)

Hit my first banger on the road and definitely expected a flat tire but nothing...very impressed by that. Although my buddy wasn't too happy about his tire going flat on the same thing.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 3:47am
There is a fixed gear documented on Netflix streaming "To Live & Ride in LA"

TRAILER

It is pretty good.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 4:54am
Just put my Specialized up on craigslist so I can buy this for the Mrs.

Her old bike that we sold when she was pregnant.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 5:00am
Originally posted by woodhomie1996

TRAILER

It is pretty good.

Man, I have a feeling I am going to get a little pissed when I watch that. Interesting for sure, and I am going to watch it before I head to work, but looks a little like B.I.K.E. A bunch of brake-less hipsters blowing through lights, getting hit, causing wrecks, and generally giving anyone who rides a bike a bad name. Gee, I wonder why there is so much hate between cars and bikes....Ermm

Don't get me wrong, I get and understand some of it, but it doesn't make it right. Meh, I'll shut up now, time to go watch it so I actually have something to talk about hahaha...

Thanks for the info though "homie"
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 5:05am

TRAILER

It is pretty good.
Man, I have a feeling I am going to get a little pissed when I watch that. Interesting for sure, and I am going to watch it before I head to work, but looks a little like B.I.K.E. A bunch of brake-less hipsters blowing through lights, getting hit, causing wrecks, and generally giving anyone who rides a bike a bad name. Gee, I wonder why there is so much hate between cars and bikes....ErmmDon't get me wrong, I get and understand some of it, but it doesn't make it right. Meh, I'll shut up now, time to go watch it so I actually have something to talk about hahaha...Thanks for the info though "homie"

It is just a fun watch but it is just a bunch of hipsters blowing through stop signs and bunny hopping off stairs. I just thought it was a fun watch and wanted to share.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 6:51am

It is just a fun watch but it is just a bunch of hipsters blowing through stop signs and bunny hopping off stairs. I just thought it was a fun watch and wanted to share.

No, I thank you for the share, for sure. Just got done watching it. Not so much my cup of tea, but a decent way to kill an hour so anyways.
With the apparent budget they had to shoot with, I feel they could of covered their topic better. Too many scenes of people just hanging out, and obligatory shots of riding. Got a little boring there in the middle, but like I said, not a bad way to burn an hour.

I wish they would of had more footy of the alley cat races. Would of sparked my interest a little more. Alley cat races are fun as shit. Yeah, they go against everything me and my crew fight for, but I will admit I have raced a few in my time. I still stand by my thought that riding without any brakes is foolish, stupid, ignorant and hurt biking in general, but who am I to force my ideas on anyone? If you get taken out by a car because you couldn't stop your brake-less fixie in time, the species just got stronger. While I will always promote the use of at least one brake (a front is all you need anyways when it comes down to it) if someone doesn't want to ride with one I can't force anyone to do so. From experience with friends, most people that almost or do get hit because they couldn't stop in time end up putting a front brake on anyways.  Problem solved.

On a different note, I really wish the temps here would warm up. It's totally warm enough to ride around right now (highs in the 50's) it makes it so much more enjoyable when it's in the 70's.

And on yet another note, I think my rear cassette is blown out on my daily. Cry I have tuned up the rear shifting 2 times in the past week, and after about 10 miles I am getting some pretty serious "shift hop". Sucks. Just one more thing keeping me from my next build.
Time to go get a little sanding done on the wife's bike before I head to work.

Stay safe out there kids, and have fun this weekend!

*Oh, and Jes, that pattern is really coming along! Are you stopping where the design ends in that last picture, or are you taking it all the way up to the top of the seat tube? *
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 6:51am

TRAILER

It is pretty good.

Man, I have a feeling I am going to get a little pissed when I watch that. 

agreed, i feel like the title should be "to live and die riding in la"

the snippet of the dude biking on a highway in traffic....idiotic.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 7:26am
To Live and Ride in L.A. was a flop for me. As much as it was "about the bikes", it wasn't. The street races made me crazy. There's no reason for a non-biker (or biker, for that matter) watching this vid to think "yeah, these people deserve respect". The wolf pack rides and "over the city" ride one of the guys did were pretty cool. But that's about it. Its not the kind of influence people need when starting up on a fixie. 

Pretty fricken funny to see that much PBR at the circuit. LOL 
2.8/5 

B.I.K.E. was a total "out of my element" experience. I stayed for the bike jousting and "ride what you have" mentality. 
3.3/5
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 7:34am

Pretty fricken funny to see that much PBR at the circuit. LOL 
2.8/5 

B.I.K.E. was a total "out of my element" experience. I stayed for the bike jousting. 
3.3/5

Yeah, if anything that film made me want to drink less PBR. Not that I can drink it right now anyways, but ya get the point LOL
I will say, one of the most interesting/cool parts was the "break in" to the velo. That was just rad. Pretty jealous...pretty jealous.

B.I.K.E.-felt the same way dude. Although, it was a pretty interesting watch all the way through. As much as I kinda hate gutter punks these days, it was still fun to watch. And I felt the same way about the jousting. Shit was just nuts. It's been a while since I watched it, but the main guy (tony I think?) was just so shtooking annoying. What a little whiny bitch. Not saying he didn't have to go through some seriously messed up shit, but still whiny non the less.

I am torn on the "illegal" passing stuff. I do it from time to time. If you know "how" to ride it, it's actually safer than you would think. But, at the same time, I don't blow through reds. Sometimes around here (especially on game days) it is necessary to pass cars like that. If not you are going to be sitting on your bike for an hour, sucking on exhaust fumes. But once again, I don't blow through reds. Sometimes you just need to bend the rules a little. I know not everyone agrees with that, and will call me a jackass for the way I ride sometimes, but when it comes down to it, at the end of the day I don't really care. I will stress again that I don't blow reds, and will find an alternate route if I can, but sometimes you just can't.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 7:52am
Tony was jacked up before the drugs. Period, end of story. I think there were other, more optimistic people in the crew that would have been a lot funner to follow around. But that's a whole film revamp.

Illegal passing like filtering? You're not on the freeways, right? I see no problem with it. The biggest issue I have with it is the potential surprise left turners (think shopping malls, open parking on the blocks) waved through thick traffic. Been there, done that. Talk about a surprise near t-bone from hell. r/bicycling covered it yesterday. I added my two cents. Thumbs Up

Reds are a no, Stop signs, do'em very slow. Gah, that little sprinty kid almost got nailed going through the alleys. I forgot about that. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 8:00am
Filtering? Not really familiar with that lingo..
NOT on highways. I usually only do it on one road up here, called High St. It's the main drag through town, pass campus/the art district, leading into downtown. 2 lanes in each direction, with a speed limit of 25, 35 in certain areas. What I am talking about is if both lanes in one direction are at a complete stand still, I will ride between the lanes of stopped traffic.

EDIT: Just looked up "filtering" on the youtubes. Filtering is exactly what I do when the road is clogged.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 8:12am
Yeah, that's filtering. NBD. I think motorcycles use the term more than cyclists do. Biggest irks are filtering at speed (cars doing 15+), skitching (ride hitching), and crazy amounts of lane changing (think three lane changes in less than 100 feet, etc.) at speeds higher than a roll. You know, reckless shit! LOL

There's this wicked retro commercial of the messengers on fixies flying through traffic in SF... I have to find it!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 8:23am
NBD? Girl, yous got all the lingo! LOL

Filtering on a moto is just stupid. Not the smartest on a bike, but at least a bicycle can stop way faster than a moto. Or at least I can. Not going to lie, I have Skitched a few times in my life, but I usually ask the driver if it's okay with them. Also, filtering at 15 ish isn't bad. When I can sprint around 30mph on flatground, and pass cars, I don't see anything wrong with it. Might have to borrow my friends gopro and make a little short this weekend. Big smile
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 8:31am
NBD: No big deal. 

Yeah, lets clarify and say those ^^ are my limits. But I damn near never ride with more than two lanes of traffic. Less exposure to it changes the perception. Keep a damn good eye out for blind lane changes for me if you're going to be doing that poop. Smile 

Gopro, gopro! Or not. I'm not going to be the instigator. As far as I'm concerned you had this idea wayy before I got here. 

Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 9:18am
Bahahahahhahhah.. That vid just made my day. OUt of control shit right there!

And yes, I have been doing that way before I ever signed up for this site.
GoPro procured. Going to try and make a short this weekend. Will ask this in a different thread, but what is a decent editing program for the gopro for PC? Going to be running it on a laptop, so nothing too over the top or crazy needed. Like I said, I just wanted to use my friends GP for the weekend to see if I really want to pull the trigger on one of these little guys. Hero2 though btw Big smile
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 9:19am

^^

I just got some Mr. Tuffy liners for my road bike tires. I have some really bottom-barrel road tires and was getting puncture flats once every week or two. The Mr. Tuffys installed pretty easy and haven't had a flat since. Some mention they've noticed added rolling resistance once they're installed, but I didn't notice any difference. Then again, I ride a 76 Schwinn Varsity. Thing weighs 46 pounds, so a lil extra rolling resistance might not be as noticable  as on a new bike lol. Either way, if a little rolling resistance is all its gonna take for me to avoid tube repairs every week, im all for it.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 10:08am
Anyone in the PA/NY/NJ area want to buy a Specialized Rockhopper (single speed)

15.5 Specialized Rockhopper that I built last summer (5 miles) that I want to sell.

NOW ON EBAY
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 11:41am

Anyone in the PA/NY/NJ area want to buy a Specialized Rockhopper (single speed)

15.5 Specialized Rockhopper that I built last summer (5 miles) that I want to sell. 

Damn it...kinda. Although, I would actually be down if it was a stuntjumper, instead of the rock.

How much you lookin for it?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 3:12pm
I have it listed on Craigslist for $450 but we can probably work something out.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 3:32pm

Bahahahahhahhah.. That vid just made my day. OUt of control shit right there! 
 Will ask this in a different thread, but what is a decent editing program for the gopro for PC? Going to be running it on a laptop, so nothing too over the top or crazy needed.

Vegas for editing, and you will want one. You'll just make yourself crazy not having the "right" mount when you switch activities.

And while were off topic, I decided I'd rather clean the garage than do any more geometry on that frame. Cleaned the work bench off (holy hell), organized the metric sets and just did some organizing and classifying. Auto stuff on the auto shelf, carpenter's saws over the work bench, fishing stuff... somewhere else x5 different hobbies. Definitely not "clean" but sure as hell is organized. 

Originally posted by j_lucky84

The Mr. Tuffys installed pretty easy and haven't had a flat since. Some mention they've noticed added rolling resistance once they're installed, but I didn't notice any difference. Then again, I ride a 76 Schwinn Varsity. Thing weighs 46 pounds, so a lil extra rolling resistance might not be as noticable  as on a new bike lol. Either way, if a little rolling resistance is all its gonna take for me to avoid tube repairs every week, im all for it.

This is what I like to hear. Thumbs Up
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 4:17pm
Sorry woodhomie. No way I would be able to swing that. And to be honest, I don't need it. I want it, just don't need it.

Got a little slow at the shop today, so I took the time to give all the components from the wife's bike a nice little bath.

Bathing time....

Everything all washed up, washed off, and rubbed down. So shiny and new. I love our parts cleaner Big smile

Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 4:25pm
No worries

a better picture of the color
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2012 at 4:10pm
yea so this coming saturday weve got a nice lil 65km ride in prep for our trans-alp....

Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2012 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by derbytownjoe

yea so this coming saturday weve got a nice lil 65km ride in prep for our trans-alp....

Shit that looks like a really fun route. 30 on a trail is no joke. Those are fun speeds sir! I expect pictures or a snippet of film is that is possible.
What kind of rig you on Joe?
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2012 at 5:57am
I'm looking into getting a hybrid bike, but i really don't know anything much about what brand and stuff to buy. Advice please!? 
I was looking specifically at Specialized and Novara bikes
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2012 at 4:20pm
Just picked up my new toy at a local bike show we had. 2011 Trek speed concept 2.5. I rode her all weekend to break her in a bit. definitely feel I gained an edge for my 70.3 tri in july. Its going to be my first tri and im really hopeing i make it under 5:30 hrs. Sweet bike and I got a sweet deal
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by dvdngu

I'm looking into getting a hybrid bike, but i really don't know anything much about what brand and stuff to buy. Advice please!? 
I was looking specifically at Specialized and Novara bikes

Hybrid eh? Well, my choice goes twards Specialized. I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I love Specialized. Not only do I wrench for the company, but I have been riding their bikes for over 6 years now and love them. So, without further adieu, here are my thoughts.

The Sirrus would be my first choice for anyone looking for a hybrid. It is what we call a "flat bar road bike". Don't let that scare you off though. The sirrus has a more upright stance when you are in the saddle, slightly wider tires, and a more ergonomic frame geometry. Once you get into the higher end models of the Sirrus you get some really awesome components and features. Internally routed cables, carbon rear stays and forks.

The TriCross is a pretty rad bike. But if you are looking for a more comfortable bike (non-road) I wouldn't go that route. But if you want a bike you can take on the road, AND light trails, the tricross would be my pick for you. Entry price is more expensive though.

If you want something with a SUPER upright, easy going, cruiser style of a ride, the Crossroad or Crosstrail would be the way to go. Rather inexpensive bikes, wide tires (pretty much a mtn slick) and a little on the heavy side. I am not a huge fan of them, but that is just because they don't fit my riding style what so ever.

Your profile says you are based out of Garden Grove. Looks like there are 3 bike stores "close" to you that carry Specialized. Based off of their websites, Rock N' Road Cyclery would be my first choice of places to go. The other I noticed was Surf City Cyclery. They don't have as high of ratings as R-N-R, but I did notice from their site they offer BG fittings. BG is "Body Geometry", Specialized fitting methods that are, IMO, the best in the industry. They have spent millions upoin millions in research on how to find the best fit for bike parts to each persons body.

Hope any of that helped. If you have any more questions feel free to post them up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>