Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rurchaan View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rurchaan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biking
    Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 1:07pm
i don't know how to ride a bike, never had a bike, know nothing bout bikes but I'm gonna post real useless stuff here... btw what was the bike in batman?
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by rurchaan

i don't know how to ride a bike, never had a bike, know nothing bout bikes but I'm gonna post real useless stuff here... btw what was the bike in batman?

Dude...are you kidding me? Can we get a block on this account? Account name looks oddly close to another account here that likes to SPAM shit and get his daily 5 in under 5. *Other account I am talking about is rurchan* http://trusnow.com/profile.asp?PF=313579
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by batmanwest

Originally posted by dvdngu

I'm looking into getting a hybrid bike, but i really don't know anything much about what brand and stuff to buy. Advice please!? 
I was looking specifically at Specialized and Novara bikes

Hybrid eh? Well, my choice goes twards Specialized. I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I love Specialized. Not only do I wrench for the company, but I have been riding their bikes for over 6 years now and love them. So, without further adieu, here are my thoughts.

The Sirrus would be my first choice for anyone looking for a hybrid. It is what we call a "flat bar road bike". Don't let that scare you off though. The sirrus has a more upright stance when you are in the saddle, slightly wider tires, and a more ergonomic frame geometry. Once you get into the higher end models of the Sirrus you get some really awesome components and features. Internally routed cables, carbon rear stays and forks.

The TriCross is a pretty rad bike. But if you are looking for a more comfortable bike (non-road) I wouldn't go that route. But if you want a bike you can take on the road, AND light trails, the tricross would be my pick for you. Entry price is more expensive though.

If you want something with a SUPER upright, easy going, cruiser style of a ride, the Crossroad or Crosstrail would be the way to go. Rather inexpensive bikes, wide tires (pretty much a mtn slick) and a little on the heavy side. I am not a huge fan of them, but that is just because they don't fit my riding style what so ever.

Your profile says you are based out of Garden Grove. Looks like there are 3 bike stores "close" to you that carry Specialized. Based off of their websites, Rock N' Road Cyclery would be my first choice of places to go. The other I noticed was Surf City Cyclery. They don't have as high of ratings as R-N-R, but I did notice from their site they offer BG fittings. BG is "Body Geometry", Specialized fitting methods that are, IMO, the best in the industry. They have spent millions upoin millions in research on how to find the best fit for bike parts to each persons body.

Hope any of that helped. If you have any more questions feel free to post them up.

Re-Posting this so dvdngu can have their answer. Duplicate account "rurcaan/rurcan screwed it up for me and bumped this to a new page. Not impressed.
Once again, dvdngu, feel free to ask me any other questions you have.
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 1:30pm
I HATE losing write ups. 

BMW, I'm with you on the blatant whoring attempt. Already sent it to the RS thread. 
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 1:40pm
Better ContrastFULL SIZE PHOTOS

We changed our running route today and came across a lady laying out a bunch of stuff at the end of her driveway, with it? The Rockhopper. Needs a helluva lot of maintenance and new front brake but for the price, I'm not complaining. Good shimano parts on it, and I'm already fond of the bar ends. Should make for a nice build for my sweetheart. :)

Remember kids, keep boosting that good karma!

EDIT: Doing a little research now, tentatively looks to be a '93 RH, the Rock Shox fork could be an aftermarket buy? 

I'll see if I can clean up the bottom bracket enough to find a serial number on it. The hunt begins!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 3:55pm
Yeah Shooey, I really dislike BOTH of his accounts..Ermm

Anyways....

Yeah, that front fork is an aftermarket piece. Also, keep in mind my next comments are not to bum you out, or discourage you from fixing it up or anything. Just my thoughts on the subject as I have seen a decent amount of these lately (online and in the shop) and always think the same thing.

There are two (or three) routes you could go with this thing. First off, how much did you pay for it?

If it were me, no matter what route I took the build/fix up, I would swap out almost every component on the bike. That stuff is real out of date, and kinda budget entry level stuff anyways. It more than likely needs a new chain, new housing/cables and possibly tires and tubes? That just depends on how the rubber physically looks and feels. Can't really do that from here in Ohio.

Now with all that being said, you could turn it into a "road" bike (geared or SS), a sweet vintage steelie trail bike (geared or SS), or a beater "beer gettin, corner store ridin, bar hopper.

Road bike:See example woodhomie. I would personally not make it a SS, but maybe just a 18 speed at most. 9 would be easier and cheaper.
Super weird/sweet trail bike. Keep the gearing you have, get some basic "V-Brakes"(but with nice pads), rock the rubber you currently have on it, and get a nice set of shifters/derailleurs, and possibly a new entry wheel set.
Bar/corner store beater: Keep the cantilever brakes, upgrade the pads and levers, new shifters, rear derailleur, get the wheels trued, get the thickest tire you can fit on the thing, cheap full fenders, and some baskets/racks. Our shop did something like this and it's pretty rad. A really nice bike to have on hand. I'll try to snap some photos of it tomorrow.

When it comes down to it, I would probably turn it into a work horse bike (bar/corner store beater). It is always great to have a beater around to haul things, or take out on a rainy day and not have to worry about it.

Either way that rust on the rear worries me a little. How do the hubs feel? Any "grittyness" when you spin them? Wheels true? Does anything shift in it's current state? How about the rear brake, does it grab well and release well? So many questions, I know. Not trying to knock the bike in anyway, btw. Hope I don't come across that way. When it comes down to it, I just wish it was a StuntJumper from the same era.

Either way, have fun with the build. I am loving all the Specialized love up in here! As always, if anyone has any questions about Specialized/SRAM/Shimano stuff, shoot away! LOL
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 4:51pm
Bum me out? It was free!

It's totally a grocery getter/beater. Wheels are true, flats (brittle rubber) all around so I didn't work much with the shifters, hubs don't sound gritty. We were, yes literally, just walking down the road and the lady just passed the bike off to us. 

Sure we'll walk the thing home three miles! No problemo. LOL 

I would spend more time with it but I have so much work that needs to get done before tomorrow. In the end, I'll probably throw $100-150 in components on it, clean it up real nice and call it a day. That front shock doesn't fool me, this thing is going to be a homey roadie. Definitely keeping it geared. 

It was just this week I was giving you crap for bike collecting. This makes to be number four for us and the second freebie (Pana was free, too)! It'll be a good summer project, too much going on to give it much thought for now. You know my poor trucks been sitting in the garage with a tranny out for months? Wayy too many half built things around here. Can't say it isn't half my fault though. :D

Thanks for the protips, they're always good reading. 

Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 5:26pm
Free! Word, nice snag then. 150-200 in components is a very nice route to go for this little guy. Kinda jealous of your two free bikes. I want a free bike for a grocery getter LOL

Oh, by the way, we should have a competition as to who can have the most bikes by the end of summerLOL. Ready? GO!

Any grouping in particular you are leaning towards for the components? Buying new or sourcing used? Sorry, I am excited now. I am sure you really haven't given it much thought. Hell, you have only had the bike for a few hours now. Also, if you can, you should try to keep the original pant on that thing.

Don't ya just love how life throws a bunch of projects at you, and everything tries to get worked on at the same time? Hahaha....

On a side note, long day at the shop tomorrow. Open to close shift (a little over 11 hours). Not sure how my back is going to deal with it. On a bright note though, my job is having a super secret Shimano clinic before work tomorrow, and I got invited! The national rep (and possibly a pro or two) are coming to show us a new proprietary line of components based around their di2 race line. No one really knows though, all we know is we are going to be the first people (other than the developers at Shimano) in the world to see them in the works. Super excited. Not excited about the early ass wake up, but excited. 
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 3:52am
LittleShooey, good luck with the build. Can't wait to see progression pictures.

Once I sell my Rockhopper I will start posting pictures of my new build or when I change a few things on my Rockhopper I will post pictures.

Pictures of my wifes old single speed.

Pake frame and fork
Velocity rims laced to forumla hubs
Origin 8 crank with Sugino messenger chain ring (42x16 gear ratio)
MKS pedals with MKS halfclips
Bianchi saddle
Salsa stem
Nitto risers with Oury grips
Shimano front brake with Tektro brake lever
rurchaan View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote rurchaan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 5:56am
wow you might want to lower the price for that bike. how much do you want for it? i'd be interested in buying it but i don't have any money. oh well.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 6:21am
While I loathe the color purple, that's a sharp lookin' bike!

In completely unrelated news, I've been aiming at bringing my bike into work and biking home, and the weather is finally nice enough that I'm able to do it! It's only a 8 mile trip, but I'm by no means enough of a morning person to pedal into work as well lol.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 6:26am
Originally posted by j_lucky84

While I loathe the color purple, that's a sharp lookin' bike!

Thanks!

If I ever sell my Specialized the next build for my wife will have Celeste Deep V's
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 7:11am
Love that color! My gf has an old beach cruiser that would look pretty sick with some matching wheels. how much do they run?
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 7:31am
^those wheels are a sick color,price will vary on color/style and it being machine side wall it can run a little more steep compare to NMSW.you're looking at 170-240 depending on model and finding a good sale on a set.one of the most overpiced wheel is the Aerospokes,all carbon composites but it still feels like it's on the heavy side but the easiest rim to bolt and acceptable to damage.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 8:41am
NOW ON EBAY

Another picture of the Specialized with my son.

dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 11:33am

Originally posted by dvdngu

I'm looking into getting a hybrid bike, but i really don't know anything much about what brand and stuff to buy. Advice please!? 
I was looking specifically at Specialized and Novara bikes

Hybrid eh? Well, my choice goes twards Specialized. I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I love Specialized. Not only do I wrench for the company, but I have been riding their bikes for over 6 years now and love them. So, without further adieu, here are my thoughts.

The Sirrus would be my first choice for anyone looking for a hybrid. It is what we call a "flat bar road bike". Don't let that scare you off though. The sirrus has a more upright stance when you are in the saddle, slightly wider tires, and a more ergonomic frame geometry. Once you get into the higher end models of the Sirrus you get some really awesome components and features. Internally routed cables, carbon rear stays and forks.

The TriCross is a pretty rad bike. But if you are looking for a more comfortable bike (non-road) I wouldn't go that route. But if you want a bike you can take on the road, AND light trails, the tricross would be my pick for you. Entry price is more expensive though.

If you want something with a SUPER upright, easy going, cruiser style of a ride, the Crossroad or Crosstrail would be the way to go. Rather inexpensive bikes, wide tires (pretty much a mtn slick) and a little on the heavy side. I am not a huge fan of them, but that is just because they don't fit my riding style what so ever.

Your profile says you are based out of Garden Grove. Looks like there are 3 bike stores "close" to you that carry Specialized. Based off of their websites, Rock N' Road Cyclery would be my first choice of places to go. The other I noticed was Surf City Cyclery. They don't have as high of ratings as R-N-R, but I did notice from their site they offer BG fittings. BG is "Body Geometry", Specialized fitting methods that are, IMO, the best in the industry. They have spent millions upoin millions in research on how to find the best fit for bike parts to each persons body.

Hope any of that helped. If you have any more questions feel free to post them up.

Re-Posting this so dvdngu can have their answer. Duplicate account "rurcaan/rurcan screwed it up for me and bumped this to a new page. Not impressed.
Once again, dvdngu, feel free to ask me any other questions you have.

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the Crosstrail and I was rather impressed, although i really don't have any base for comparison, but in my opinion, it was the most entry level (with not too bad of a price). Gonna be my first non-walmart bike! Thumbs Up
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by bootleg

^those wheels are a sick color,price will vary on color/style and it being machine side wall it can run a little more steep compare to NMSW.you're looking at 170-240 depending on model and finding a good sale on a set..
\

Where did you find a sed of DeepV's for 170-240?
kikko View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kikko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 1:09pm
theres a few sets of new Velocity deep Vs on ebay for like $150
Fear does not stop death, it stops life...
TTowncrazy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Keystone 2012

Quote TTowncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 1:22pm
I was looking to get into biking, mountian biking to be more specific. What bike should I consider buying?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 4:48pm

Oh, by the way, we should have a competition as to who can have the most bikes by the end of summer. Ready? GO!

Any grouping in particular you are leaning towards for the components? Buying new or sourcing used? Sorry, I am excited now. I am sure you really haven't given it much thought. Hell, you have only had the bike for a few hours now. Also, if you can, you should try to keep the original pant on that thing.

Don't ya just love how life throws a bunch of projects at you, and everything tries to get worked on at the same time? Hahaha....

More bikes? Crap. My place is going to start looking like one of those hoarder shows.

It sounds like you’ve got four different visions in your head for this little baddy.  Tell you what, I’ll ship the ‘hopper out to Ohio and you can throw some used/unwanted components on it from the shop. Paint is definitely being preserved. 

On a bright note though, my job is having a super secret Shimano clinic before work tomorrow, and I got invited!

Your Shimano clinic sounds like the bomb! I won’t ask what you saw but I hope it was worth the early rising.

Originally posted by woodhomie1996

LittleShooey, good luck with the build. Can't wait to see progression pictures.

Once I sell my Rockhopper I will start posting pictures of my new build or when I change a few things on my Rockhopper I will post pictures.

Thanks! It’s pretty far down the queue, so don’t hold your breath. J

The purple and black is kickin’! Loving all the pics you’ve been sharing, too. 

bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 4:51pm

Where did you find a sed of DeepV's for 170-240?

my local bike shop called long beach fixed gear they have 2 locations in cal,here is their website http://citygrounds.com/
KLiang07 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote KLiang07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 5:09pm
I ride an old fixie in the city, so not much riding gets done. Although once I graduate I plan to ride everyday instead of driving
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by KLiang07

I ride an old fixie in the city, so not much riding gets done. Although once I graduate I plan to ride everyday instead of driving

How far would the ride be? I don't think there's a better way to get to school than on a bike. :)

Originally posted by TTowncrazy

I was looking to get into biking, mountian biking to be more specific. What bike should I consider buying?

Where do you plan to ride? All mountain? Well kept trails? Downhill? 

Price range? Experience? How hard are you on your bikes? How often do you ride?

Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by LittleShooey

Oh, by the way, we should have a competition as to who can have the most bikes by the end of summer. Ready? GO!

More bikes? Crap. My place is going to start looking like one of those hoarder shows.

It sounds like you’ve got four different visions in your head for this little baddy.  Tell you what, I’ll ship the ‘hopper out to Ohio and you can throw some used/unwanted components on it from the shop. Paint is definitely being preserved. 

On a bright note though, my job is having a super secret Shimano clinic before work tomorrow, and I got invited!

Your Shimano clinic sounds like the bomb! I won’t ask what you saw but I hope it was worth the early rising.

Hahah....isn't worth the shipping back and forth. For that price you could bump the budget for components up to about 250. ?

The clinic was awesome. I am pissed I only got to stay for an hour, before I had to leave that shop, and drive over to my shop on the other side of town. And yeah...I can't speak a word of anything I saw there. Signed non-disclosure papers and all. They made a really big deal about not saying a word. I couldn't even tell my co-workers that didn't go, because they didn't sign anything.

Non the less, there were some boring things, some sad things, and some beyond cool things said/viewed/explained today Big smileBig smile

On another note, today has made my top 5 list of longest/hardest on my body days to date. Between little sleep, my sudden allergies are going CRAZY, back already hurting, and an 11 hour shift tonight...well, I almost vomited when I got home. I was a dumb ass and didn't really eat anything all day long. Walked in the door tonight pale and dizzy. I am really stupid. Pretty dangerous to do that to your body. Not sure what I was thinking.

Oh, and don't worry DTJoe, I am looking into a solution/advice on your front fork problem. Not going to lie, I don't know much about mtn. bikes, but they are of my most recent focus of learning. There is a guy at our shop that is a literal god when it comes to mtn. bikes and their parts. From the sound of it though, is anything "looks" twisted or bent, that could cause problems with any sealing? Such as your lockouts? Look more into it tomorrow. I also will check all our venders tomorrow to see if anyone carries a replacement. Oh, and I guess I could of should of written this in a reply to your PM LOL
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 2:29am

Oh, and don't worry DTJoe, I am looking into a solution/advice on your front fork problem. Not going to lie, I don't know much about mtn. bikes, but they are of my most recent focus of learning. There is a guy at our shop that is a literal god when it comes to mtn. bikes and their parts. From the sound of it though, is anything "looks" twisted or bent, that could cause problems with any sealing? Such as your lockouts? Look more into it tomorrow. I also will check all our venders tomorrow to see if anyone carries a replacement. Oh, and I guess I could of should of written this in a reply to your PM LOL

oh so this is what i was talking about....

where the lockout on the crown goes down into the MoCo unit, the shaft has a slit in it that turns the black 'spade' looking thing that in effect opens/closes the oil bypass at the bottom of the unit...

here is what my black 'spade' looks/ed like when i had it out...

oh and a dirty pic of my ride before fork rebuild (ie. 100mm fork)

and a cpl shite pics of it after removing the spacers to make it 130mm travel...

Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 3:31am
Originally posted by bootleg

my local bike shop called long beach fixed gear they have 2 locations in cal,here is their website http://citygrounds.com/

I went to their shop in Newport Beach, good guys over there.
They built my Velocity Deep V's laced to Philwood hubs.
return2heaven View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote return2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 9:35am

this is what i ride to get a sandwich or down to the bar... thats it  Embarrassed
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 9:56am
Looks good! I like the black and white.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 10:09am
All these bikes look awesome! :D
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 10:16am
Taking reasonable offers for the Specialized.

Anyone know if Weinmann wheels are any good?
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 10:18am
Does anyone know much about Novara bikes? It's REI's brand and they have a couple of good deals right now on them plus I have a 20% of coupon. I don't know much about bikes so thought I'd ask someone on this thread.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 2:42pm

ive been watching ebay here, and specialized (doesnt matter how old) bikes keep bringing premiums..Cry

andi it doesnt matter what the condition..... i really just cant justify paying THAT much for a bike....
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by derbytownjoe

ive been watching ebay here, and specialized (doesnt matter how old) bikes keep bringing premiums..Cry

andi it doesnt matter what the condition..... i really just cant justify paying THAT much for a bike....

Well....they are a leader in the bike world. Maybe my vision is skewed on the matter, but man they produce some pretty baller bikes. Also, think about how long a well made bike can last.
I really want a nice full suspension mtn. bike. Would love to get a Epic, or Camber (Specialized) but I keep having the age old problem of do I need another bike. How much would I use it, blah blah blah. Those two rigs are sick though. Ridden them around a few times when we get slow at work. Like slicing through warm butter.

Oh, DTJ, I can get the exact part you need, just not sure how to go about it. It would be around 40 bucks for the part (if I remember correctly) but shipping might be a pain. Haven't gotten around to asking my friend his thoughts on it, been sick as hell and had to call off tomorrow. Friday though....friday I will get around to asking opinions.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 5:21pm
Going for a ride tomorrow evening on a local trail by my place-whiting ranch-should help me get through a day of work knowing im going riding after
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 7:29pm
Like that wind in your hair feeling without all that wind in your hair?

BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2012 at 2:39am
those are fooking ugly. Id never use that
Snowboardr13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Snowboardr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2012 at 3:34am
When im not snowboarding im riding my custom fit bmx bike and im either riding the streets or my local park
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2012 at 3:48am
Are Sugino 75 cranks worth the money?
I have Miche Primato's right now and was going to put those on my wife's project.
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2012 at 7:31am

Are Sugino 75 cranks worth the money?
I have Miche Primato's right now and was going to put those on my wife's project.

Depends if you willing to spend a pretty penny on those 75's,not a big difference compare to rd2 mess of half with the price will be if you're on a budget build.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2012 at 8:15am
Those are also an option but I guess we will see. Thanks for the information.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2012 at 12:35pm

Well....they are a leader in the bike world. Maybe my vision is skewed on the matter, but man they produce some pretty baller bikes. Also, think about how long a well made bike can last.
I really want a nice full suspension mtn. bike. Would love to get a Epic, or Camber (Specialized) but I keep having the age old problem of do I need another bike. How much would I use it, blah blah blah. Those two rigs are sick though. Ridden them around a few times when we get slow at work. Like slicing through warm butter.

Oh, DTJ, I can get the exact part you need, just not sure how to go about it. It would be around 40 bucks for the part (if I remember correctly) but shipping might be a pain. Haven't gotten around to asking my friend his thoughts on it, been sick as hell and had to call off tomorrow. Friday though....friday I will get around to asking opinions.

well, merida basically makes all their frames, though they arent sold in the US. Here, Merida is a pretty big brand, but are much cheaper than specialized.

oh and re: MoCo, i can get the one with PN 11.4310.133.000 but i just want to make sure itll fit or if its an updated PN....

it would only cost me 50 canuckistanian dollars total shipped to me...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 1:10pm
Sigh, I couldn't wait to put the vinyl on. But now I have a new dilemma: do I continue the pattern up the down tube or let the vinyls be the strong accents on that side of the frame? If I do continue the pattern, should I stop it to the left of the vinyl or keep it going on the other side.

Odoyale knocked these baddies out of the park, lemme tell you! 

Anyway, input is appreciated. 

Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by LittleShooey

Sigh, I couldn't wait to put the vinyl on. But now I have a new dilemma: do I continue the pattern up the down tube or let the vinyls be the strong accents on that side of the frame? If I do continue the pattern, should I stop it to the left of the vinyl or keep it going on the other side.

Odoyale knocked these baddies out of the park, lemme tell you! 

Anyway, input is appreciated.

I think I may be a little confused here. Are the emblems and pattern only going to be on one side of the frame? I think the hand drawn pattern should continue all the way up the down tube, and round the corner a little bit. Maybe by 3 inches. OR...you could stop the HD pattern pretty much where you have it on the down tube, but continue it in each direction about a foot from the bottom bracket.

So...I did something bad today at work. We are super dead, so I test road some mtn. bikes. I think I found a winner. The "Camber Elite 29er". Really sexy fun trail bike. 110 mil of travel front and rear, hydro disc front and back. Really digging on the 29er thing. Have yet to try one on the trail, but I hear they are amazing in the climb. Well, apparently they are great all around, and are supposed to be the wave of the future. The thing to make 26ers obsolete. It looks like I can pick one of these up for about 800-900. I REALLY need to get my side business up and running!  LOL

EDIT: Oh...and here is a picture of the sexy beast....

return2heaven View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote return2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 7:19pm
that Specialized is shtooking sick... 8-9 bills is insane, thats like what, 50% off? side business is calling.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 7:34pm
About 50% indeed. Not totally sure what I would pay, but our rule of thumb is if you don't know, it's probably around 1/2 off. Bikes are slightly different though. Any bike bought through EP has an additional 60 or so dollars tacked onto the price. That money goes to a bike related charity that provides people in need of bikes, but can't afford one. Fine by me.

SO...while we are on the mtn. bike train right now, anyone ever heard of the "Command Post BlackLite" system? It's a seat post that you can change the height of on the fly. Well...here is a vid to show it in action, and answer any questions.

We have a bike in the shop that has one. Played around with it a little today. Pretty cool thing, but at the pressure it can shoot up, I was constantly worried about smashin meh manhood. There are a few customers that come in to our shop that swear by the things. I just don't know for 200+. I mean, There have been times out on the trail that I would of loved to have the option to drop my seat all the way down on some tech. switchbacks. Dunno, interesting concept. Guess I will have to try and ride one sometime if I can. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 8:43pm

I think I may be a little confused here. Are the emblems and pattern only going to be on one side of the frame? I think the hand drawn pattern should continue all the way up the down tube, and round the corner a little bit. Maybe by 3 inches.

The emblems are on both sides, pattern is wrapped around the down tube. 
When you comment about "rounding the corner", are you referring to the top tube? 

OR...you could stop the HD pattern pretty much where you have it on the down tube, but continue it in each direction about a foot from the bottom bracket. 

This is what I'm debating. The more artsy question would be "do the emblems carry enough weight in the composition to work with the seat tube HD?" Or does the pattern work well enough on its own without another branch up the down tube from the BB. 

So...I did something bad today at work. We are super dead, so I test road some mtn. bikes. I think I found a winner. The "Camber Elite 29er".

Okay, new deal. I'll ship you the Rockhopper and you send out one of those thingies in exchange. No worries. I'll cover shipping. 

Not so hot on the magic seat. It's already giving me sympathy pains. LOL 
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2012 at 3:50pm
Hey Im looking to sell my dads 1990 Trek 1000 road bike. It has an all aluminum frame and is in pretty decent shape but could use a new seat. Its coming with an emergency pump that attaches to the bike, spare innertube and extra tire.

Can anyone give me an idea of what its worth i have a buddy interested who is just starting
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2012 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by scuddera

Hey Im looking to sell my dads 1990 Trek 1000 road bike. It has an all aluminum frame and is in pretty decent shape but could use a new seat. Its coming with an emergency pump that attaches to the bike, spare innertube and extra tire.

Can anyone give me an idea of what its worth i have a buddy interested who is just starting

Pictures pictures pictures! One persons "decent" shape, is another persons "horrible". The pump, tube and extra tire should add about 25 bucks to the overall price.
Seriously though, pictures if you can. Would help a bunch. But I would put a tag of anywhere from a kind friend price of 175, to non friend in good condition 300. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 4:17am
Anyone have an opinion on the Mercier Kilo TT?
Looking to pick one up for my wife this summer as soon as I sell enough stuff on ebay.
onetwo77 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote onetwo77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2012 at 1:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>