Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aussnow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aussnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Watches
    Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 4:26am
What kind of watch do you guys wear on the snow and why did you choose it?
krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote krisshono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 4:31am
I dont wear a watch on the snow or ever.. They feel weird on my wrist. Just use my phone usually
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 5:29am
i don't really wear one on the snow, but if i did, i would just get something cheap, like a timex or casio with a rubber strap so you can bash it up and not care about how much it cost you.  have you ever played sports and fell on your arm right where your watch is?  it hurts pretty bad. 
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 5:36am
I wear a timex watch pretty much everywhere.  It doesn't help you figure out the altitude, but it does help with the time.  I generally use the clocks at the ski lifts to determine time though, as I don't want to continually peel off my gear to tell the time.
My husband wears an altimeter watch when we go up to the mountain, but I'm pretty sure it's a cheap one.  We don't do anything with the data once we're done with the day. 
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 5:45am
I don't usually wear one,  I dp I have a casio g shock that I bought because it had temp amd altimeter on it but it was uncomfortable to wear while riding so now I just look at the clock while waiting at the lift line.  
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 5:47am
Don't wear one either. Might get really uncomfortable to be wearing one if I were to take a tumble. Have my phone with me if I want to check the time. Plus there are clocks at the lifts if I'm too lazy to check the phone.
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 5:51am
I've never wore one. I'd be afraid it would break during a spill.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 7:40am
I don't wear a watch either and use the clocks at the lifts or my phone.
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 7:55am
I've been using my engagement swatch ever since I got it several years ago.
theshizz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote theshizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 8:05am
I never use a watch or phone or even look at the clock by the lifts. I just go all day til the lifty tells me to get the hell out.
iamjason10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote iamjason10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 8:08am
my phone is just about indestructible so thats really the only thing i use
CriminalRabbit View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
LOVED IT!

Quote CriminalRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 8:09am
I don't wear a watch anymore ever since cell phone was invented. If I want to know the time, I'll just use my phone.
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 8:10am
Originally posted by carebear

I've been using my engagement swatch ever since I got it several years ago.

i actually just ordered a new swatch last night.  pretty stoked about it.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 8:18am
got a Suunto for my birthday a while back.  Altimiter is more accurate than I had thought, I have enjoyed it hiking and am fairly certain it will be good for riding.  There is a feature that tracks "total elevation change" breaking it out into up/down and time that will be fun to dick around with

-b
get bent
winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Quote winn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 8:48am
l wear a watch like flavor flav does. that way it doesn't get in the way of my wrist yet l can tell the time anywhere l am
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 9:00am
why you need a watch?? they'll kick you out when they are closing :P. just bring your phone and your set
tw0scoops View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tw0scoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 9:51am
Omega Seamaster...just in case I fall off the mountain and 1000 meters into the sea.
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 10:22am
I wear a watch almost every second I'm awake, that is except when snowboarding.  There is no need for a watch when there is a clock at the base of every ski lift.  Hopefully it doesn't take you too much time to get down so you can check the time every 20 minutes without having to take off gloves and such.
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mrrorydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 10:49am

Watches? Please.....

determined View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote determined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 10:52am
Wearing a watch nowadays with phones that also show the time is just not needed anymore. It's become just an accessory to me.

When i did wear some watches i had a fossil and some really cheap watches. I wanted a casio calculator watch or either had one a long time ago. I thought that was one of the most bad ass watches.
Redheaderr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Big Sky, Montana

Quote Redheaderr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 11:38am
Yeah I agree with everyone who's saying that watches have pretty much become obsolete because of cell phones. I do however own a nice fossil watch for when I want to look snazzy and sophisticated. 
priestoso View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote priestoso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 12:52pm
I wear a Seiko Dive Master. Its highly impact resistant and good to depths of 300 meters. Just a good overall watch for all outdoor activities.
bpak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bpak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 12:55pm
it makes sense to wear waterproof watches when snowboarding, right? Like durable digital watches
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by aussnow

What kind of watch do you guys wear on the snow and why did you choose it?

I choose to never wear one because when I'm on the snow, the time is 5 minutes til First Chair then Shred:30 and when I'm done it's Beer o'clock.  

that's all I need to know.  
-zakk

| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 1:28pm
^^^^ you should consider bringing a timepiece with you for backcountry -- Yeah Boy!

-b
get bent
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 1:29pm
watches... i think i heard about those things a few years ago, they tell time right....? yea i use my cell phone for that
pheonix View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote pheonix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 1:30pm
i usually just use my phone
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by mrrorydigital

Watches? Please.....

yo know whats funny, he still has a watch on his right wrist lol
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Wilz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 2:37pm
hmm i have a g-shock i wear for sport bascially.. but.. i never use it because i can't see through my snowjacket and gloves.. haha so if i want to know the time.. i either look at a clock somewhere on the resort.. or ask someone...
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 2:45pm
just bring your cellphone there and you'll have a camera and time all in one. or better yet, just look at the clock that most lifts have on the bottom 
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 4:08pm
this is a stupid thread....

Originally posted by rye

just bring your cellphone there and you'll have a camera and time all in one. or better yet, just look at the clock that most lifts have on the bottom 

but as rye says...just look at the clock on the lift or use your cellphone, i cant imagine wearing a watch while wearing all your gear is convenient or easy to access
belleayre View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by zabisket

this is a stupid thread....

Originally posted by rye

but as rye says...just look at the clock on the lift or use your cellphone, i cant imagine wearing a watch while wearing all your gear is convenient or easy to access

I keep my phone in a zipped up pocket. Everytime you take something out of a pocket on the slopes, it might end up in the snow. I like to catch the last lift and having my watch on is the most convenient.
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote andyc5315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 5:49pm
Just get any old watch that's water proof, make sure its comfortable. I have some lego star wars watches I wear all the time and a swiss military watch made by wegner. Cant go wrong with wegner and victorinox swiss made watches.
Worst I had was wonderful.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 6:21pm
I normally wear a Movado (sadly, just like the one on Flava Flav's necklace), but never have one when I'm on the slopes.  I just use my phone at that point.
RedLego View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote RedLego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 6:22pm
I wear a watch to work every day but never when i'm boarding. Plus I agree with rye, I would usually carry a crappy cellphone on me when i'm boarding if i need to know what time it is.
SnapShot View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote SnapShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 6:22pm
A seiko.  I have one that doesnt need a battery.  It goes with me when ever I go into the woods, or remotely close.  You can get a bearing with a watch that has hands if you ever get lost.  
aussnow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote aussnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 11:22pm
Might look into the casio g shocks, they look pretty good and are cheap and reliable, thanks for your advice everyone
grunge View Drop Down
Local
Local
Thinkingman

Quote grunge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 11:42pm
I usually use a g-shock, but used my chase durer last weekend.
The G-shock was a little big on the wrist.... 
watching-sunset View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote watching-sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 11:56pm
to see what time is it I use my cell phone))
Push hard and you'll reach the top
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2011 at 1:19am

No watch here either...just my cell phone or video camera.  I actually don't want soemehting on my wrist as I ride.

eschmunk View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eschmunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2011 at 1:42am
I usually have my iPhone inside my jacket.

If I were to wear a watch it would probably be a G-Shock or something in the Lum-tec line (M Chrono, )
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2011 at 3:38am
agreed, for me, watch = iPhone.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote SunFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2011 at 9:33am
I have an Invicta Pro diver watch that I bought off a TV shopping channel cheap and it's waterproof.
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
Weymaro View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Weymaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2011 at 10:12am
Cell phones are going to kill watches
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote andyc5315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2011 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Weymaro

yeah I got the dat new new Iphone wrist watch. pretty cool
Does everything, But im having a little trouble figuring how to set up the time.Embarrassed
Worst I had was wonderful.
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2011 at 12:15pm
the watch on my htc inspire.. haha and my gps watch for running 
Kona View Drop Down
Local
Local
kona

Quote Kona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2011 at 1:13pm
I wear a Casio g-shock all the time regardless of what im doing. its tough waterproof and looks pretty cool as well
determined View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote determined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2011 at 1:21pm

It should have died years ago. There still seems to be a market for watches still.
jason.huenefeld View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jason.huenefeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2011 at 1:31pm
i normally just wear my nike running watch when i wear one. i normally just use my phone. 
RedLego View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote RedLego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2011 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by determined

It should have died years ago. There still seems to be a market for watches still.

Watches will never die out. For example, not sure about you guys but when i was still in university, if you want to check the time you must bring your own watch, no cell or anything.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>