Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
patman765 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Backyard Parks= way to go

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: waxing board-
    Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 3:49pm
hey guys ive had my snowboard for 2 years now going on to the third, and i havent waxed it once yet. Do you think i need to or am i alset?
thanks
ktown View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 3:50pm
reading the other threads, you would know that yes, it would be very highly recommended. 
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 4:02pm
You are long overdue for waxing that board!! You should be waxing approximately every 5 days of use (depending on snow conditions, use, wax, etc.).
iamjason10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 6:12pm
You should def get it waxed, 2 almost 3 years is a long time to go without one, once you get it youll notice the difference 
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 6:17pm
um yeah, way overdue. get it wax asap. it helps to maintain the board in good condition to fully enjoy your day
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 6:51pm
Your board will start looking Ash-eee on it in spots, especially on the toe and heel edges. If you can see that its time for a wax.
Worst I had was wonderful.
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 7:11pm
it's really depends on what base your board has. if it's extruded base, forget about waxing it as it's not worth your time and effort. if it's sintered base, then you better give it a good wax job.
hmmm... Now What???   
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 7:26pm
Bataleon thats a myth.

Extruded bases don't absorb as much wax as sintered bases, but they still need to be maintained. 

tashev View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
at Les2Alpes

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 7:33pm
I personally do wax every two or three times of riding. That keeps my board speed, which is important for allaround rider.
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 9:32pm
that's not a myth, i have own and used few boards that was extruded and a lot with sintered. tbh, extruded won't hold any wax at all as it doesn't have the structure (your so called pores) to hold it. no matter how hard you try, the wax will wash off as soon as you on the hill (freshly waxed board, and i stuck in the afternoon, tell me how that happened). 

extruded base do not need maintenance at all unless you want to cover those battle scars. not like sintered base that required a lot of wax to fly.
hmmm... Now What???   
watching-sunset View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 10:09pm
I guess both types of base need maintenance. Especially after 2 years of use any base would have micro scars which will perfectly absorb wax. So there will be a difference!
Push hard and you'll reach the top
CriminalRabbit View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
LOVED IT!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 10:09pm
Can't believe you have been snowboarding for two years and not knowing how long does it take to was the board. That's really strange. Like everybody else said you should always wax your board after you ride it for 2 or 3 times.
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 10:34pm
haha it was awhile till i learned proper board care, mostly from other hard core boarding friends, but my first year, i never waxed my board
patman765 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2011 at 4:28am
alright thanks guys
dki13 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2011 at 4:32am
you can get away with out riding it but you will notice an amazing improvement once it is waxed
SHWEET
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2011 at 5:09am
Originally posted by RastaRider

Bataleon thats a myth.

Extruded bases don't absorb as much wax as sintered bases, but they still need to be maintained. 

bataleon is amazing, take that back!

and yes, sinter based is faster than extruded but needs to be maintained more often
jstgermain View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2011 at 5:36am
I would get it waxed...easy to get done and you will notice the difference. A good wax will last awhile too depending on how much you ride.
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2011 at 2:13pm
Get a wax job at least once a year.
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
stevo05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2011 at 7:54am
I just received my brand new Sierra board and I read about how people put a wax coat over during the off season to protect their boards. Is it necessary for me to do this in August or is going a few months without it okay? Also, I got some hot wax but I am contemplating whether to buy a snowboard iron or just to find a used regular iron. Thoughts and/or recommendations?
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2011 at 8:06am
^^please dont bring another snowboard iron vs regular iron. you can coat it if you want, wont really be necessary but it would be nice to have a fresh layer of wax vs factory waxed 
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2011 at 8:10am
Originally posted by stevo05

I just received my brand new Sierra board and I read about how people put a wax coat over during the off season to protect their boards. Is it necessary for me to do this in August or is going a few months without it okay? Also, I got some hot wax but I am contemplating whether to buy a snowboard iron or just to find a used regular iron. Thoughts and/or recommendations?

Waxing it if it is brand new is not necessary.  It has a factory coating on it.  It won't last long when riding on it, but you don't need an extra layer on it for the summer.

I prefer an actual flat waxing iron, but using a regular one is doable, just don't use it on clothes afterwards.
patman765 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2011 at 6:36pm
this is kinda a stupid question but what is better when you wax it, like the benifits of waxing
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2011 at 6:40pm
CLoSeR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 1:36pm
I can't believe you've had a snowboard for 2 years and never had it waxed. At first I thought you meant you had never waxed it yourself, and always had a shop do it for you.

Didn't you see all the mountain town shops advertising snowboard wax, tuning on your trips up the hill? lol

Anyway, waxing your snowboard has many benefits some are listed below:

1. keeps your base supple (ie not brittle), a base which is waxed regularly will be less likely to suffer damage from hits.
2. a waxed snowboard is always faster than a dry board.

Some people talk about extruded bases like they don't need to be waxed, this is not true they definately need to be waxed its just they don't absorb as much as sintered bases and generally an extruded base snowboard will still perform alright when its dry and is likely to be faster than a dry sintered base.

10 Sierra Crew | 10 Rome Crail | 10 Union Sierra Contact SL | 10 Nitro Reverb TLS Boots
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 2:00pm

why can't you belive it? i don't wax my board.. and then again i don't get much ride time in AUS.. actually correction.. i've had a company wax it for me for free.. and the next year i got to lazi to bring it to them to wax again when they offered another free wax...

scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 2:09pm
i wouold spend $40 and take it to ur local shop and the will wax and sharpen the edges after to yr i think u will notice a difference in the sharpened edges. depending on what kind of base u have ur base might not be the worst
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 2:47pm
yeah i think extruded bases need to be mainted too.  but i wouldnt wax it as often as sintered.

and i use a regular cheap iron from target ($8) and it works just fine.
dance like no one's watching
Big John View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 4:14pm

The benefits are better speed and control. The pressure you put on the base of your board anlong with friction creates a thin layer of water under the base which is how your board slides on the snow. Wax reduces the friction and resists the suction the film of water creates improving speed and control.

elixerboi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 8:27pm
DEFINITELY wax! (with hot wax too please, your board will appreciate it)

If it's a sinistered base, doesn't it have a chance of permanently sealing its pores or something like that if it doesn't get waxed in a long time w/ lots of riding? just something i've heard if anyone can confirm/deny
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 8:36pm
just the summers alone will dry up your board if not stored properly.
def. wax it, or better yet, don't wax it yet and ride it on your first day up this coming season then wax it after and see the difference for yourself.
patman765 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 11:56am
yo wuold it be cheaper for me to buy wax my self and do it, or bring it to a shop
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 11:58am
depends on how much you value your time. but yes the store is more expensive. unless you're going to take like 10 hours to do it yourself and you could have spent your time more productively.
patman765 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 12:07pm
and for all the guys thinking im retaded, im not.
i snowboard and enjoy it but ive never been into all thee little things until now. And by little things i mean all facts and shit so stop givin me bullshit for it. can you guys cut someone some slack
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by patman765

and for all the guys thinking im retaded, im not.
i snowboard and enjoy it but ive never been into all thee little things until now. And by little things i mean all facts and shit so stop givin me bullshit for it. can you guys cut someone some slack

Some people can't help themselves.  They get off on being trolls.  Just ignore them.
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 1:31pm
In the long run its waaaay cheaper to do it yourself.  I wax my boards after every 3 times I ride or so.. or when it looks like it needs it.  I actually enjoy waxing my board. It's easy to do.. only takes about 30 mins or so (if U are super OCD about it it may take longer).. and saves U $.
 It gets me pumped to go ride.  I say get the stuff U need to wax you board(s).
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
CLoSeR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 2:33pm
+1 MikeD - You'll spend a few dollars with the purchase of the iron, wax and scraper. However it soon pays itself off if your waxing a couple boards a few times a year.

I really enjoy the process, take my time and do a better job than the local guys. :)

10 Sierra Crew | 10 Rome Crail | 10 Union Sierra Contact SL | 10 Nitro Reverb TLS Boots
patman765 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 3:05pm
Ya i dont even know how to do it corectly anyway. So im just gonna bring it to a shop. Oh and do you need to get brand new boards waxed. the sierra reverse crew to be specific
patman765 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 3:06pm
and if any1 was gonna yell at me 4 bein a noob i was jw cause im not very fimilar wit sierra boards
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 3:13pm

Ya i dont even know how to do it corectly anyway. So im just gonna bring it to a shop. Oh and do you need to get brand new boards waxed. the sierra reverse crew to be specific

Yes. You can ride it for a day or two on the factory wax but it's not as good as a hot wax. There are some good videos on this site that show you how to wax a board. 
aussnow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2011 at 2:30am
Start waxing that board Stat!! I wax it every 5 uses.
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2011 at 5:41am
Extruded boards don't need to be waxed all too often but they still need to be maintained. Fill in core shots on the base with ptex and scrape the excess. Tune both edges when needed. And always debur them after riding.

I put a summer coat on my extruded boards and leave it on until fall.
Oh and OP, don't buy hotwaxes, shops charge so much for tuning (technically they don't since it's time consuming unless they have tuning machines) but it's almost impossible to mess up yourself unless you burn your base, which is pretty hard to do.

obviously scrape it off after.

MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2011 at 9:20am

and if any1 was gonna yell at me 4 bein a noob i was jw cause im not very fimilar wit sierra boards

everyone was new to snowboarding at one point.. U learn faster by asking.. So don't mind the haters...

new boards R usually ok for a day or 2.. but the wax job is going to be atleast a few months old.. so the wax is probably dry. It will prob come off after a day of riding. It is best to wax a new board.

1/2 the ppl who wax boards at shops don't do that good of a job.. unless U take your board to a 'good shop'.  I really recommend getting a waxing kit and doing it yourself. U can even wax your friends rides.. maybe charge them $5 or something.. now U have $ for more lift tix and more gear Wink
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2011 at 10:22am

yo wuold it be cheaper for me to buy wax my self and do it, or bring it to a shop
In the long run, it's cheaper and quicker to do it yourself, but you do have the initial cost of wax, iron, scrapper and knowing what you are doing.  I bought a new board at a local shop and they included 3 free waxes, so I will start waxing myself once I used those up.  My local shop only charges $5 so that's not bad, but you need to leave it there and pick it up later in the week. 

Some mountians, like Big Bear, will wax your board for $5 when you leave it in their storage lock up place while you get lunch at their lodge.  There is really nothing like riding a freshly waxed board. 
I rode my new board once before waxing it and the factory wax was nothing compared to a fresh wax. 
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2011 at 10:35am
i would say learn to do it yourself
 Post Reply Post Reply