Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 Cartels vs Force
    Posted: Aug/21/2011 at 9:49am
I am looking to upgrade my 2007 Burton Mission bindings to something like the 2012 Cartels or maybe the Union Forces or Contact or recommend something else that you think is good. I ride mainly all mountain, steep groomers, some trees, some moguls, no park (hopefully this year??), Northeast Icy conditions prevail on many occassions. Does anyone have any comments specifically about the 2012 models? Burton claims this new re-flex technology while Union claims to have fixed the issues with the toe-strap. Thanks in advance for your comments.
CLoSeR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2011 at 2:14pm
Im have the Union Sierra Contact SL, they are pretty much a Union Contact with an upgraded highback (Force) I believe. I use them on my all mountain board and haven't had any issues, the best thing about these bindings is how light they are.

If you wanted something a little stiffer for all mountain you could go for some Forces.. they are Unions best selling binding for a reason.

Regards,

CLoSeR
10 Sierra Crew | 10 Rome Crail | 10 Union Sierra Contact SL | 10 Nitro Reverb TLS Boots
dangerzone9k View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2011 at 7:15pm
You can't go wrong with the cartels. They're a 7 on the flex scale and many pros wear them. I have a pair of 09' cartels with co2 beds and I like them.
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2011 at 7:16pm
l feel the cartel is more groomers while forces= more park. but barely 
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2011 at 7:49pm
cartels and forces are pretty much mid stiff bindings.  but my opinion, i feel the cartels would be more aggressive geared towards all mountain shredding because of the forward lean built into their high backs. i dont think u can go wrong with either.
dance like no one's watching
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 4:04am
Originally posted by CLoSeR

Im have the Union Sierra Contact SL, they are pretty much a Union Contact with an upgraded highback (Force) I believe. I use them on my all mountain board and haven't had any issues, the best thing about these bindings is how light they are.

If you wanted something a little stiffer for all mountain you could go for some Forces.. they are Unions best selling binding for a reason.

Regards,

CLoSeR

Have you had a problem with the toe strap riding up your boot by the end of the run? I have seen a few reviews claiming this for the Force toe cap. Union has changed the toe strap in the 2012 model to address this.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 7:33am
the one on sierra contact SLs is basically the same thing as the new one.

i still have a feeling most people are trying to run the toe cap too far over the toe like a cupped toe cap, but that's not how they work best.  more over the top but with the front edge over the peak of the toe of the boot.  and most of the time there is always a best way to adjust them so maybe you aren't there yet.  worst case scenario your boots toe just doesn't like union toe straps and you can get a different strap from burton or rome or whoever you like best.
pipsallday View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 10:44am
I love the new neon colors of the forces. That alone would make me want them more even if the toe strap issue haven't been fixed.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 11:22am
most of the toe strap issue lay within the users.  just sayin..
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 11:32am
The new 2012 CArtels have zero foreward lean now, unless you want to dial in some. The reflex base does give a smoother board feel than the regular disc base.
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 11:34am
I have the same problem with the 07 Missions where the toe strap comes loose or rides up during my run. I'm looking to picking up some Union Forces. Lot of good reviews on them.
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 11:38am
Originally posted by spenser

yep...IMO, that's why burton changed their toe strap to "cup" it, like flux.

I would say go with some Cartels, mainly because I think the highback would be more responsive.  Just my opinion...there's a couple more variants, like the Union Atlas that you may want to look into.
Did you google it?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 11:43am
the highback is really very similar in terms of flex.  they are both stiff straight back and have some torsional flex but are not soft in that respect.  unions can achieve less forward lean by a hair but the "built in lean" on cartels is not what it once was.  and if you have the same forward lean set to each pair then in my experience they are both just as responsive.  the highback height is hardly different either.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 11:48am
^^^true...I had a brain fart and forgot about fwd lean.  nevermind, they both would do the same.  Maybe asym on Burton vs symmetrical highback on Forces.  But doesn't really matter.
Did you google it?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2011 at 11:52am
yeah i don't know if i ever noticed the asym cartel highbacks, maybe if i ran a wider stance or something.

forward lean is awesome.  i bet you a lot of people would benefit from it who never use it and think it's dumb or uncomfortable.  it did a surprising amount for me in terms of the response i've always dreamed of...
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 7:43am

There have been a number of users complaining of the toe strap moving so maybe it is a bit of both user error and design. Maybe a better design would be more user friendly and hopefully the 2012 changes fixes this issue.
silverJCE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 8:15am
im not up to speed with unions 2012 line, did they make them more adjustable? thats something i am use to when it comes to burton bindings. and one of the reasons why i went with burton. i have 2011 reflex cartels. the minimal base plate make them really light, and the more natural flex that comes out of my attack banana vs my older CFX(2002?) bindings is pretty significant. it even mellowed out my 2003 jussi! these bindings have changed my life, im not kidding hah.

i have them adjusted with moderate fwd lean, but its easy to adjust on the fly w/ your boot off.

no issues w/ the toe cap, ankle strap is really comfy. i can ride hours w/o fatigue

if you can demo or try out a buddies pair, it will be worth your while.
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 8:17am
l think the people tat do have problem with the toe strap is because they ride it too low and arn't setting it up proerply cuz myself, never had problems 
silverJCE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 8:29am
cant forget the autocant feature. different density foams from lateral to medial foot. so it doesnt force your foot to be at a certain degree. your stance, weight, and needs adjust the cant needed. its a pretty crazy feature.
mcmicx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 6:40pm
I bought a a rome 390 bosses last year and was wanting to try out the forces this year.. for some reason i didn't really like the bosses.. it felt kinda uncomfortalbe strapping them in... maybe it was just me..
elixerboi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 8:00pm
both the missions and the union forces are all-mountain right? are the forces kind of just an upgraded version of the missions?

and i always thought the cartels were more for park/freestyle ridin :o
silverJCE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by elixerboi

both the missions and the union forces are all-mountain right? are the forces kind of just an upgraded version of the missions?

and i always thought the cartels were more for park/freestyle ridin :o

im not sure about union forces, but you've got the burtons mixed up. missions are more park and the cartels are more all-mountain.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2011 at 8:30pm
the mission and cartel have the same base besides reflex now.  if anything the mission base is more solid now because it's not reflex.  that being said, for 2011 and previous models the base is the SAME.  solid piece 30% glass blend.  same exact base.

both have good straps.  the 2012 cartel feels a little nicer to me than the mission but both have a nice firm gel feel to them.  both have full base padding as well.

both have firm highbacks.  stiff straight back, and a little torsional flex but not a ton.

they are both mid flex bindings. there is NO SUCH THING as terrain specific bindings, it's 100000000000000% preference.  some like real stiff bindings for everything, some like forgiving/softer bindings for everything, some like medium for everything, and some like to mix it up for certain things, but there are NO rules and NO facts about bindings working better for certain things, only preference.  period.

cartels and forces are similar in terms of response.  so are missions.  forces are unrelated to missions other than that.  missions are one binding, cartel is another, but it's what you might call an upgrade to the mission, meaning the straps are a little "nicer" and they have a little more "tech" to them but they don't "ride better" (no such thing as that).  some might prefer one and another might prefer the other.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2011 at 2:52pm
can't go wrong with either the Forces or the Cartels, very similar. Contacts will be too soft for all-mtn. since you have Burtons already, try some Unions.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2011 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by 2zz

Contacts will be too soft for all-mtn.
gigi's favorite union binding was the contact because of the flex (he can be quoted as saying so) and then he designed the contact pro based on that.  we all know how gigi rides.  there is no such thing as terrain specific bindings, it's all preference... i don't know why people can't just accept that.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2011 at 5:47pm

Originally posted by 2zz

Contacts will be too soft for all-mtn.
gigi's favorite union binding was the contact because of the flex (he can be quoted as saying so) and then he designed the contact pro based on that.  we all know how gigi rides.  there is no such thing as terrain specific bindings, it's all preference... i don't know why people can't just accept that.

I'm pretty sure more than 70% of the people on here just googled gigi right now.
Did you google it?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2011 at 7:03pm
hahah... probably..
tomek77pl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2011 at 7:43pm
I would recommend forces! i ride mountain,park,trees etc. I didnt ride cartels so idk but forces work great for me
satoru View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
my board

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2011 at 8:48pm
cartels are dope.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2011 at 5:29am
Originally posted by SunFish

The new 2012 CArtels have zero foreward lean now, unless you want to dial in some. The reflex base does give a smoother board feel than the regular disc base.

Can you elaborate more on the benefits or not of the reflex base? This seems like it might be a key difference when compared to the Forces but does it add value to the binding or is just hype?
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2011 at 10:59am
I love my cartels and will most likely get another pair of cartels when these break. The flex is just perfect, lots of flexibility for shifting weight back and forth from nost to tail, and stiffness/control for edge to edge weight shifts. They are also very adjustable if you want to ride more park and have a more forgiving binding, or if you want more control for speed and bombing. Some people prefer not to have the gas pedals on the cartels, but they work great for me. Just individual preferences I guess.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
eschmunk View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2011 at 11:07am
I hear a lot of good things about the forces. I was torn between them and the Rome 390s, and ended up with the 390s. I would like to try a friends forces though. Maybe this year.
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2011 at 11:43am
ive only ridden burton bindings. ive never had a need or a want to change. i love my cartels
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2011 at 11:46am
Originally posted by snowmen

Can you elaborate more on the benefits or not of the reflex base? This seems like it might be a key difference when compared to the Forces but does it add value to the binding or is just hype?
it just lets the board bend under the binding more easily than with a solid base.  that doesn't mean you will feel it and it doesn't mean it's "better" either even if you do feel it.  as i've said before you can already see danny davis riding the new malavitas but with the old malavita base that is not reflex.... so we can probably assume he prefers the regular base over reflex... hence preference.

i don't think the average rider would notice, honestly.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2011 at 12:32pm

i love gigi and his riding style, but never noticed he uses contacts.

i used contacts mostly for last season and felt like I need a stiffer high back at times. but i guess its just my perference.
nevermind that I said contacts might be too soft for all-mtn.
i'm still rocking gigi's simpsons goggs. love em. want new goggs though, those are hella used up.
since i got a pair of contacts and gigi's goggs, I feel like I need to get an un-inc now... gigi rides on un-inc right? i only watched a few snowboarding vids and movies, not enough to notice what riders ride with.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2011 at 12:38pm
2008 was his last season with burton.  for 2009 he was officially on union, volcom outerwear and boards, and nike boots.

the boards he rides are still stiffer cambered decks according to an interview, so probably similar to an uninc in that respect.

i also find contacts too soft for my preference and like something stiffer like the force, and gigi did/does ride the force a lot too.  the contact pro highback is stiffer and the binding overall is less forgiving, but it still has that contact characteristic of the base padding which is probably what he liked about them.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2011 at 4:34am

Originally posted by snowmen

it just lets the board bend under the binding more easily than with a solid base.  that doesn't mean you will feel it and it doesn't mean it's "better" either even if you do feel it.  as i've said before you can already see danny davis riding the new malavitas but with the old malavita base that is not reflex.... so we can probably assume he prefers the regular base over reflex... hence preference.

i don't think the average rider would notice, honestly.

Thanks. So the reflex lets the board flex uninhibited by the bindings. Like you said, not sure that is necessarily better but more a matter of personal preference. I suppose more advanced riders (not me) may like and take advantage of that??
jstgermain View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2011 at 5:17am
Love the new Cartels
elixerboi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2011 at 2:19pm
Thanks for the clarification spenser.. I think I'll just stick with my missions till they bust (knock on wood) :P
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2011 at 5:06am
Seems like a lot of people love the Cartels. My 2007 Missions have served me well so I am leaning towards the Cartels to pickup a stiffer binding as well as all the tech since 2007 (full base padding, canted foot beds, etc.). Thanks to all for your comments.
jribeirojrrj View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2011 at 6:19am
I Like Cartel
 Post Reply Post Reply