Everything FOOD.

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 5657585960 93>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Everything FOOD.
    Posted: May/03/2013 at 10:12am
I love eggs sunny side up now. I used to think it was kinda gross. I don't eat bread, but I let the yolk run over the hash browns or whatever else is on my plate. And uncooked yolks contain a lot of nutrients.

I've also started eating sweet potatoes. Fries and baked sweet potatoes. Also a lot healthier for you.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 10:29am
On to a new page! didn't want the post to get lost... here ya are! ... "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 10:31am
I love runny yolk too!  I used to hate yolk before too and had to cook it pretty well but now I love it raw and all over my face.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

I love runny yolk too!  I used to hate yolk before too and had to cook it pretty well but now I love it raw and all over my face.  LOL

You are talking about eggs, correct?  Wink
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 10:40am
Originally posted by sideways99

You are talking about eggs, correct?  Wink

Well, this is the food thread so yes.  LOL
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 2:29pm
I just had some pho where a friend told me it wasnt good and the sandwiches r better ... She was right. The pho tasted more like beef broth than the normal pho broth should taste like. It was ok, not entirely bad
anna.chan18 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote anna.chan18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 3:51pm
how could pho not be amazing??
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 6:51pm
You can completely screw up Pho.

Have $20 of BBQ sitting in the fridge now instead of devouring about, oh 1/3 of it for dinner. Lost appetite when trying to eat (thanks sick doggie)...attempted to eat a rib & dropped it in the floor. FAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!

Liquid dinner instead. Round 2 of margarita.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2013 at 9:51am
Haha, that's like saying all food is amazing.  Even my mom doesn't cook pho consistently, sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, but I guess sometimes she tries to change it up a little or try it differently.  Anyways, I'm not a fan of pho, I'm a rice dish girl.  LOL
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2013 at 12:54pm
I have a lot of Vietnamese friends who's parents won't make pho at home cuz it takes too long and it's easier to just eat it out in public. So it already says a lot that your mom is willing to make it at home and keep on making it better/changing it up
snowflakez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowflakez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2013 at 3:42pm
tried to make homemade cheese today. did not turn out so well 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2013 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by snowflakez

tried to make homemade cheese today. did not turn out so well 

Read this and try again:

5 Tips and Tricks to Make the Perfect Cheesecake

1. Pay attention to temperature: First, you must follow instructions and allow your cheesecake to chill. Many recipes call for a 6-hour overnight chill time and I know this seems excessive to many home bakers, but it really is necessary if you want a completely set cheesecake that will come out of the pan with ease. Second, cheesecakes absolutely taste best at room temperature, so after chilling let it stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before serving.

2. Soften the cream cheese: Word to the wise: bring your cream cheese to room temperature before making a cheesecake. Much like using a springform pan, this is one of the non-negotiables if you want a smooth, lump-free cheesecake.

3. Don't stress over cracks: Many cheesecakes crack on the top. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever made one that didn't crack just a little. This has a lot to do with temperature and the rate at which your cheesecake heats up, but the good news is that it can be fixed. My instant (and tasty) trick is to spread a layer of sour cream over the cooled cheesecake. It will give it a clean finish and add a little extra creaminess to each bite.

4. Prebake your crust: Many recipes don't require you do this, but I guarantee you're going to have a crisper, lovelier crust if you do. With any kind of crumb crust (like graham cracker, for instance) you'll just want to give it a quick 10 minute bake in the oven before filling it with your cream cheese filling. No pie weights or fuss required.

5. Whip, whip whip: If you think about your idea of a great cheesecake, it's probably super, super creamy. To get that at home, your batter must be completely smooth, so be sure to beat your batter more than you think you need to. 

mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2013 at 7:49pm
Um.....cheese, or cheesecake??? LOL
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2013 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

Haha, that's like saying all food is amazing.  Even my mom doesn't cook pho consistently, sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, but I guess sometimes she tries to change it up a little or try it differently.  Anyways, I'm not a fan of pho, I'm a rice dish girl.  LOL
My mom with either cook Pho or anything broth based dish for Saturday lunch. It's like a ritual now. Today was Bun Rieu.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2013 at 8:57pm
I just had food at Mission Inn Restaurant in Riverside, CA. Got the buffet style instead of ordering off the menu. The food was really good. Artichoke salad, diff. types of cheese, fruits, chicken, pork, diff types of fish, steak, and diff types of dessert. Totally worth $35
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 9:23am
Originally posted by haiv143

My mom with either cook Pho or anything broth based dish for Saturday lunch. It's like a ritual now. Today was Bun Rieu.

I like my mom's bun rieu more than her pho, that's for sure.  LOL  Making pho isn't hard, it's just a long process.  LOL

Nowadays, the only thing I even eat at a buffet is salmon so I'm not sure if it's even worth it to go anymore.  LOL
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 3:14pm
Anyone make anything festive for Cinco de mayo? 
I had pizza and stuffed bell peppers... So thats a no on my behalf! 
LOL
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 3:53pm
^ Forgot it was Cinco.

Went out with friends for sushi, had some great rolls - spider roll (fried soft-shell crab, avocado, cucumber), snow roll (crabmeat mixed with wasabi mayo on top of a CA roll), and many more, I can't remember them all.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 4:03pm
You should have had a mexican roll!!
It would have been in the spirit of things.... sorta. 
Wink
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 4:09pm
Tried Crabby Joe's for the first time and wasn't disappointed! Prices were expected and quality was good, very filling!

The BucketList Burger with Sweet Carolina Poutine:

Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 4:32pm
Holy Heart Attack batman!
I hope that's on the bottom of your bucket list!

What is in that burger? or rather what isn't in that burger?

haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 4:46pm
That burger is looking very tasty! I have been craving burgers for a while now and debating if I should drive 30 minutes to the nearest 5guys.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 9:51pm
^^^

Bucketlist Burger:
- 2 beef patties
- 2 slices of cheddar
- 4 strips of bacon
- lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, bbq sauce
- asiago bun

Sweet Carolina Poutine:
- sweet potato fries
- pulled pork
- chives, cheese curds, gravy, chipotle
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 11:48am
I celebrated cinco late yesterday, not by any mexican style food, but made some margaritas. I went a little off the beaten path, as I had used all the ice in the house earlier to make iced tea, and was both too lazy to go to the store and buy some, and too impatient to wait for the 2 trays to refreeze. The tea had mostly since been consumed, so I just tossed all the margarita ingredients in with the tea and blended it. turned out a lot better than i feared it might. Quite tasty actually. Had to add some sugar, as I prefer my tea more bitter, but I'd certainly make em again. Caffeine and booze, yo!

Also, over the weekend, my gf made some miniature Dutch Baby Pancakes. (she took a picture, and i forgot to, so i stole this image from a google search).  She also made a blueberry syrup to pour into the pockets... so farkin gooood!

chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 12:01pm
Had steak fajitas at Baja Fresh yesterday.  Super good.

I think Baja Fresh has to be one of the best fast/quick food places. 

And the guacamole is good.  Not too salty like a lot of places.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 12:09pm
Having some friends over to catch the Leafs game and gonna fire up the grill. Burgers, steaks, and veggie kabobs. 1st of many this summer.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 6:27pm
Burger's Priest: The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

- 2 grilled cheese sandwiches
- 2 deep fried mozzarella stuffed portobello mushrooms
- 2 beef burger patties 
- 2 additional slices of cheddar cheese
- lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, ketchup, mustard

It was super cheesy... I found myself wanting more meat taste though.  Would have been even better with a fried egg and some bacon and mayo.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 8:16pm
simple dinner tonight.. bean/rice/sweetpotato/veggie burger on a dave's blues bun, agave ketchup and chunks of fresh avocado.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 9:56pm
I was wrong, that burger is a heart attack.....

Spenser, How is that Agave ketchup? I've seen it, never tried it... worth it?

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 10:10pm
I've got the organicville brand if that's what you're thinking of.. it basically tastes the same to me, but if you're familiar with agave, you can subtly tell it's sweetened with that instead of HFCS.  if you like ketchup on anything you eat and you don't want to ingest the garbage in standard processed "food" products, I'd say it's a perfect substitute.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 10:12pm
I'm not a huge fan of chocolate chip cookies. I like them when they are just fresh out of the oven but kinda super picky about how they are made, like right in the middle of soft and moist, not too hard. But right now I'm eating Famous Amos Bite Size cookies chocolate chip and these aren't that bad for being in a snack bag type size
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 4:35am
So, I moved and the new place does not have a gas stub out in the back for my grill.  Installing one is going to cost $1200 since my kitchen is on the second floor, which means my old Barbecues Galore Cook On Complete Kitchen with cast iron grates, cast iron burners and ceramic briquettes is being retired after 8 years as they do not carry the parts to convert from natural gas back to propane.  

I'm in the market for a new propane grill.  Everyone says Weber but I don't really want to spend more then $500, and if I'm going to spend that much, I'd like to get a 4 burner.  Any suggestions?  
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 7:52am
Just got some of this from a friend:

It's essentially a giant vat of caramel. Delicious!

Also, no idea about the BBQ. Hope someone more knowledgeable can help!
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 8:47am
Weber does make a good, long-lasting product. You can pick up a 3-burner Weber for $500 at at home depot.
If you're not restricted solely to gas grills, while looking around I came across: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-Triple-Function-Gas-Charcoal-Grill-and-Smoker-463724512/203736363#.UYk8j8r5v3U

The reviews are good, albeit there aren't a lot of them, and the dual-purpose construction is pretty awesome (I looked at the Brinkmann version as well, but it has a painted steel grill, whereas the CharBroil has porcelain.) It's worth checking out. I'd like to get a smoker for myself at some point :)

EDIT:
Lookin at lowes, i found another multi-purpose grill:
Char-Griller Duo, $300. 465 reviews with 81% recommendation
as well as an all propane grill:
Huntington 3 burner, $300, 103 reviews and 95% recommendation rating.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 9:45am
Thanks.  I don't smoke often so that would be a waste.  And $500 is the minimum Weber, and I have to factor in the price of 2 propane tanks cause I don't want to run out when I grill turkeys.  I like the fact that they have a propane gas gauge, but I don't know how accurate those are.  

I found this Huntington at Lowes which is actually a rebranded canadian brand, Broil King, which got a great review at about.com and is only $370, leaving me enough for 2 tanks:

'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 11:57am
Originally posted by rurchan

I'm not a huge fan of chocolate chip cookies. I like them when they are just fresh out of the oven but kinda super picky about how they are made, like right in the middle of soft and moist, not too hard. But right now I'm eating Famous Amos Bite Size cookies chocolate chip and these aren't that bad for being in a snack bag type size

I love soft and moist cookies too even if it's not fresh from the oven.  I don't know how people can stand cookies that are not soft.  You take a bite and it crumbles all over you.  LOL   I miss the cookies they sold at the cafeteria in elementary, it was big and flat but oh so soft.  LOL
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 12:13pm
AMY: you can bake your own big flat soft cookies, just slap down a big glob of dough and bake it. while you're at it, make me a sandwich LOL

Mr. Meaty: i have a brinkman 4-burner with a side stove and have been using it for 3 years. it's been good to me and only $300.

Originally posted by Witty1

Anyone make anything festive for Cinco de mayo? 
I had pizza and stuffed bell peppers... So thats a no on my behalf! 
LOL

totally forgot it was cinco de mayo on sunday. my son wanted to go to chipotle for dinner..so we went to pick some up around 4:30pm to eat at home...the line was 30min long Dead
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 12:26pm
Thanks, lighning.  I was looking at some brinkmans cause of price but review online said they were made from cheap thin alluminum and did not provide even heating.  

Does it seem sturdy?  Does it light easy?  And do you ever use the side burner?

lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 12:37pm
^ it's sturdy enough for my use. i've done steak, burgers, hot dogs, all the normal stuff. i haven't found heat distribution to be a problem except there's a bit less heat on the near edge closest to the cook. it all evens out after you flip your meat.

i used the side burner a couple times..so saute some onion, garlic, and mushroom.

if you grill all the time, i would pay a bit more for a weber because they're known to last a long time. i only use it a few times a year so it wasn't worth investing more.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 12:51pm
That's what I was worried about.  I grill at least once a week, and I always grill turkeys on Thanksgiving so it's on for hours for that...
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 1:03pm
I need to find a good grill.  Unfortunately the only kind of grill my apartments allows on the patio is an electric grill.  If I use a regular charcoal or propane grill, I have to drag it 10 feet away from the building.  So that means I would have to drag the grill through the apt every time I want to use it.  And I'm not going to do that. 

I've never grilled on an electric grill, but it sounds kind of crappy.  Might as well just use a cast iron skillet on the stove.

Btw, I love chocolate chip cookies.  I use to always get those giant ones at the mall.  Sadly my diet doesn't allow for any type of sweets.  :(

Had some leftover carne asada from cinco de mayo earlier.  Still good.
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 1:10pm
http://www.trusnow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10580
^^^ BBQ thread.. just saying :)  I went charcoal instead of propane when it came time to replace my grill... takes a little more time and effort but its totally worth it.. Everything tastes better cooked over charcoal

edit:  I'm going to look for some agave ketchup on the way home..

edit^2:  I'll definitely buy a Weber Genesis E-310(3 burner no side burner $700ish at Lowes) in a year or two when its more economical for me..  everything else seems to fall apart and rust out.. I will also be storing that bad boy in my garage.. it should last forever.
MOAR powderz plz!
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 2:27pm
Ah...was not aware there was a bbq thread.

anyway...

I LOVE charcoal but the convenience of gas can't be beat.  Especially natual gas hooked up to your house.
That's why I loved my old grill.  It had the ceramic briquettes that heat up and give a much more similar flavor to charcoal then these grills with metal "flavor wave bars".  
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 2:43pm
Yeup... can't beat the convenience of propane....
lucky for me I just got the hookup on propane! 
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 9:14pm
Tis the season to eat out at those taco stands. Such nice weather to be hanging out side pigging out! If I'm not eating out at stands in this weather I'll probably be BBQ if the grocery stores open at midnight. LOL
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 4:16am
Squash, zucchini, green beans, asparagus, chicken all over rice.
anna.chan18 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote anna.chan18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by woodhomie1996

Squash, zucchini, green beans, asparagus, chicken all over rice.

looks like lots of fiber haha
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 6:54pm
Has anyone tried microwaving sweet potato in a plastic bag (with a splash of water)? Nuke it for 2 minutes and it'll come out steamed . YUM! Yeah, that's what I'm eating right now.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by MrMeaty

Thanks.  I don't smoke often so that would be a waste.  And $500 is the minimum Weber, and I have to factor in the price of 2 propane tanks cause I don't want to run out when I grill turkeys.  I like the fact that they have a propane gas gauge, but I don't know how accurate those are.  

I found this Huntington at Lowes which is actually a rebranded canadian brand, Broil King, which got a great review at about.com and is only $370, leaving me enough for 2 tanks:

I'm gonna be a bit of a jackass here.. but ya did see that the bottom of my post had a link to that huntington, correct? lol

Totally looks like a good product though! If i had room, I'd get one for myself :)

Another edit:
An old friend of mine had a Brinkmann a few years ago. His did a great job of cooking whatever we put on it, and we grilled with it often. Perhaps their quality control just isn't top notch, and some out of the factory are better than their "identical" counterparts?
That said, with the solid reviews of the Huntington, I would likely opt for the Canadian product with solid reviews across the board.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 9:05pm
Oh yeah, I saw the link. It was just to a different Huntington grill. That one I linked got better reviews then the other Huntington grills. I think I'm going to pick it up this weekend. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 93>