Topic Closedimportant question!!

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Chelsey View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: important question!!
    Posted: Dec/08/2006 at 4:46pm
so this is the first time i've ever posted a topic.. but anyways. the other night levi was making me watch the star trek movie while i did homework. yes levi is a secret trekkie!

but what i was wondering about is that why hasnt out government been spending all their money on researching how to build those beaming devices. I'd like to be able to beam somewhere in an instant and i would defintly pay money for scientists to start creating those!!
seriously!

Andrew View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2006 at 4:49pm
This beaming technology would revolutionize mountain sports.  No more waiting in lift lines.  YOu could get in a lot more runs in a day. 
World in Panic. Cities In Flames. ... Let it Burn
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2006 at 6:48pm
lol, that would be awesome...just beam yourself instantly up to AK then go back home after an hour or so to get some good food and then head back out before the storm rolls in....

it'd suck though if your foot didnt get teleported...
megabitch View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2006 at 7:04pm
wow, levi's respect level from me just dropped off the damn scale.  OH MY LORD, DO I HATE STAR TREK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AngryAngry  Sorry Levi, but damn bro. I never would have guessed it.  Hahaha......  yikes. Wink
davidmullane View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2006 at 7:53pm
I'm more of a stargate kind of guy. Now the stargate, there is a piece of transportation technology.
ID# 1062<br /><br />Board: Salamon Special 159!!<br />Boots: DC Judge<br />Bindings: Cartels - Kelly Green<br />Outwear: Section<br />Best Place Boarded: Japan<br /><br />Stance: +15/-6 <br /><br />
brodster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
What is there to say-

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2006 at 8:15pm
The original Stargate movie was awesome, but I am not a fan of the show. I do like Numbers though. I was very dissappointed a rerun was on tonight!

Yeah, Jenn has a thing about trekkies. When I was young I used to watch Star Trek: The Next Generation every weekend. Jenn hates this fact about me. I think it would have been better to tell her that I cheated on her.Wink
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2006 at 9:15pm
Have you watched a recent stargate? The new atlantis and SG-1 episodes are great.
ID# 1062<br /><br />Board: Salamon Special 159!!<br />Boots: DC Judge<br />Bindings: Cartels - Kelly Green<br />Outwear: Section<br />Best Place Boarded: Japan<br /><br />Stance: +15/-6 <br /><br />
GUTH View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2006 at 2:27pm
just cuz my parents made me watch it when i was little.   And you cant say that the 6 satr trek movies were bad at all.
*Insert Something Clever Here*
nicolinha View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2006 at 4:36pm

Levi, man I've got your back. Star Trek is AWESOME

I watched it when I was little too (even before sesame st.) and I got a lot out of it. Yeah I'm totally a nerd, but I don't look itWink

To answer Chelsey's question though, they have done successful experiments in teleportation but only at the quantum level, called deterministic quantum teleportation. It's very cool stuff but really only good for transferring large amounts of information, like for quantum computers--not anything physical, not even particles--but that's the stuff that makes for the first little steps to "beam me up Scottie". So the government is investing in it for sure, just not because they want us to be able to beam from slope to slopeSmile  They all want to be the first ones to build a computer that can break any encryption, and when that happens we'll all just have to learn to trust eachother a whoole lotBig%20smile  It'll be nice.
"Man may be a very peculiar animal, but he is still a part of the system of nature." - Marston Bates
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2006 at 4:44pm
Remember how funny it is in the movie "Galaxy Quest" with Tim Allan and that guy from "Monk"? In that movie they mess up a teleportation and the thing that gets teleported turns inside out and then explodes, not so funny when i say it but watch the movie and its quite entertaining. I've seen some work with teleportation where they were able to transport a laser beam over a distance.
esy.iam View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2006 at 5:43pm
i loved watching star trek, it was great! pretty cool to see Levar Burton reading me stories in the daytime, then piloting a spacecraft at night, AWESOME!

i also thought Counselor Troy was hot, and Dr. Beverly too. ahhhh, memories!

BTW, Data was the fuckin' shit!!!!
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2006 at 6:35pm
i saw glaxy quest about 20 times....i went on a cruise to alaska and they played it about 10 times a day on the tvs in the room, and of course they had it every night in the theatre.   i also went to see it when it first come out in the theatre...i could recite just about the whole movie by the end of the cruise.
McDee View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2006 at 7:17pm
Galaxy Quest was such a sweet movie . . . as for the teleportation thing, they are working on it and have done SUCESSFUL experiments, but also some not at all successful experiments on Clams, etc (they cam out like scrambled blobs). However, if teleportation does come about I'm sure SS will be the first to have them, beam me up brodster, etc

Edited by McDee - Dec/09/2006 at 7:24pm
Sapere Aude

Quote of the Week: There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line. -Oscar Levant
brodster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
What is there to say-

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2006 at 9:21pm
The freakiest guys in Star Trek are the borg. I used to have nightmares when I was 10.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2006 at 11:26pm
I must say that the only star trek things ive seen is First Contact and a bit of Nemisis. I liked First Contact but not Nemisis. The borg are the main players in First Contact and they are freaky.
nicolinha View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 11:19am
I watched the old school star trek with captain cerk when I was really little, but it scared me, but then so did the count on Sesame St. (one banana, mwah ha ha ha ha... scary stuff for a 4yr old) I grew up with STNG though and had a huge crush on commander Ryker, until recently, when my childhood fantasy was shattered. I saw the show again a few weeks ago on Spike and finally realized what an absolutely horrible actor he is!! ...talk about melodrama LOL he actually employs the classic acting technique where, as a sudden twist in the plot is revealed, the actor looks poignantly off into the corner of the screen as the music swells and they cut to commercial DeadDead  *sigh* the dude's no Patrick Stewart Wink ...or commander Data. word to that esy.iam
"Man may be a very peculiar animal, but he is still a part of the system of nature." - Marston Bates
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 11:35am
ha, so my sister wasnt the only person to get scared while watching sesame street! im jk
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 11:42am
teleportation rocks.
2010? More Like 1910
nicolinha View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 11:45am

LOL ...no, you can tell her that

nicolinha View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 11:48am

word Hoon. the only reason I'd want to live an unnaturally long life would just be to see the crazy shit they come up with and try it out.

cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 12:02pm
^^i agree, just look at how much technology has advanced the past 20-30 years... now we have a bunch more people working in these fields, so there is no telling what they will come up with. im really looking forward to a cell phone that will never lose reception, and maybe have a little projector thing on it so you can project a little keyboard to type and have a little image show up for the screen like in star wars...
McDee View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 12:06pm
HAHA, cantbeyou, that is great thought. I love how Star Wars/Star Trek have totaly affected our technology. I even hear that Steve Jobs is working on making the holodeck from Star Trek, then us Southerners could drive down to the local holodeck warehouse with our board and ride any mountain on earth in our shorts
Sapere Aude

Quote of the Week: There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line. -Oscar Levant
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 12:16pm
so which would be better??? holodeck that is realistic so you can ride ak peak in shorts without worrying about crevices and stuff, or the teleporter to actually ride in AK??
nicolinha View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 12:27pm
oh teleporter for sure! I haven't seen anything yet where a substitute can beat real fresh air in your face and the feeling of gravity pulling your stomach as you take a jump. If I can get to a real mountain, man, I'm on cloud nine. It's also just the whole experience, the gondola ride up, eating lunch with a huge view. All of it.
ha, can you tell I haven't gotten out yet this season LOL I'm so ready. 
nicolinha View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 12:29pm
...should have said, can't imagine anything that could substitute. Maybe Steve Jobs can do it though. He sure did make those macs look cuteWink
McDee View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 12:30pm
Hey I totally agree, I'd rather be there than have anything like a simulation. I was just saying what if . . . I also totally agree that I'm just ready to be out there and cant wait til next weekend.
Sapere Aude

esy.iam View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by nicolinha

I watched the old school star trek with captain cerk when I was really little, but it scared me, but then so did the count on Sesame St. (one banana, mwah ha ha ha ha... scary stuff for a 4yr old) I grew up with STNG though and had a huge crush on commander Ryker, until recently, when my childhood fantasy was shattered. I saw the show again a few weeks ago on Spike and finally realized what an absolutely horrible actor he is!! ...talk about melodrama LOL he actually employs the classic acting technique where, as a sudden twist in the plot is revealed, the actor looks poignantly off into the corner of the screen as the music swells and they cut to commercial DeadDead  *sigh* the dude's no Patrick Stewart Wink ...or commander Data. word to that esy.iam

i should probably go back and watch riker to see how bad of an actor he is. the main reason i hated him was because he was dating my woman! LOL
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 12:34pm
true true, but the simulation would definitely be a nice thing for the summer or just crappy days...
nicolinha View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 12:41pm
yeah, you could keep up your boarding in summer without flying to the southern hemisphere! it's such a schlepp... Wink
jk ...that would be hella cool
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 5:34pm
I remember reading somewhere that they were able to transport something but i think the problem was the atoms and materializing it, or something of the sort Confused
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 5:50pm
that stuffs crazy...so would they just like "take the thing apart" and split it in a billion pieces then just have a stream of the stuff going through the air, or is it actually like a new thing is made from what is around the destination??
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 6:30pm
Just tear a hole in the fabric of space and time and make a worm hole that you can just travel through. I think it has been theorised that to tear it just get a really big nuke, or many nukes and blow them up.
nicolinha View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 7:48pm
Teleportation's gotta be instantaneous or it's just not real star trek quality teleportation and we can't actually move faster than the speed of light. But, I dunno, in the case of the entangled qubits when the first qubit is altered and the second qubit takes on it's new properties the first one disappears. So I guess if they did it that way they'd be able to have an exact replica of you appear anywhere, composed of matter that was already there and the current you would just disappear... kinda scary really.
I'm so talking out of my as* right nowLOL
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 7:54pm
You've got some sound concepts there
nicolinha View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 7:59pm
WE should invent teleportation!!
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 8:00pm
You get the scotch tape and ill get the aluminium foil.
nicolinha View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 8:04pm
LOLLOLLOL
I've definitely moved into that giddy stage of exhaustion. and I'm just posting now instead of studying. Think it's time for bed.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 8:07pm
It's only 5:00 pm here, so im rearing to go.
brodster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
What is there to say-

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by nicolinha

LOLLOLLOL
I've definitely moved into that giddy stage of exhaustion. and I'm just posting now instead of studying. Think it's time for bed.

Get your study on, the semester is almost over!
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2006 at 4:29am
dont you just love that feeling after your last final is over!!!! i let out a big hoot after mine got done last friday and starting jumping around....people always look at me funny when i do that
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2006 at 4:30am
so for the teleportation thing, essentially, if you are going to be recreated, they could modify it to recreate you to a better state right?? so teleporting could kinda be like going to the doctor and getting an instant cure?!?? thatd be sweet if insurance would pay for it....
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2006 at 4:32am
you just need some tin cans and some string... oh wait, that's a telephone my bad.
2010? More Like 1910
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2006 at 4:41am
duct tape too, scotch tape is alright for little things, but if you want it to last, duct tape!
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2006 at 4:15pm
I love that kidney Homer makes for his dad, it's just an empty beer can with a whistle taped onto the outside.
south_side_pow View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2006 at 6:53pm
The US govt spent hundreds of millions building a pipe to move oil thru Eastern Europe. I don't think they're on to that tech shit yet. They're still rocking the Space Shuttle, 80's retro.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2006 at 8:36pm
Yeah but have you seen the new proposed design? It is a revamp of the 70s Saturn V model.
JMichaels View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2006 at 7:35am
I want them both, the teleportation so I can go ride anywhere on the planet on my lunch break and then the holodeck so I can hang out with hotties that dig me after work.

I'm pretty sure a holodeck would be the new crack, heheh.
Chelsey View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2006 at 8:16pm
dudeee i had finals and stuff and i totally wasnt here to realize what a comotion my topic started! im impressed. also thats crazy all the stuff they are actually working on that i didnt know. But, now we just have to be able to cryogentically freeze ourselves like in futurama and then we can all hang around for teleportation!!

Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2006 at 8:23pm
All you need to do is eat and absorb lots and lots of suger (glucose) and then normal freezing should preserve you. Without the sugar your cells explode when the water inside of them expands and the cell fractures with the pressure. the glucose should stop that from happening. then all you need to do is restart the heart and your good to go ... probably. I think you can put scorpions in the freezer and then defrost them and they are alive again and i know it works with this type of frog but it restarts it's own heart.
Chelsey View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2006 at 8:27pm
im impressed with everyones knowledge.. lets experiment!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>