Got Subaru-

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bluedot_snow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bluedot_snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got Subaru-
    Posted: Sep/10/2011 at 7:45pm
I just upgraded to a nice legacy wagon. I had to put head gaskets on it and a bunch of other fun stuff... a valve job later and its running like a champ! I fixed my rear windshield washer pump today along with my A/C one tired o ring later and it holds a charge! what have you done to your ubaru today?
live like mountain, flow like river
SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SLUSHIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2011 at 8:25pm
I took it to the dealership to get a quote on some new tires and getting an alignment done.  The camber on my driver side front tire is bad and is causing uneven wear.  They also updated my ECU and now my engine does't idle so freaking high anymore, which makes the clutch feel way more solid.

Then I rotated my tires when I got home and saw that the driver front cv axle boot is torn and grease is all over the place.

Another crap thing to deal with, whhooo!
lettuce View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
lol

Quote lettuce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2011 at 10:27pm
I put some 20 inch rims on mine, got a body kit, dual exhaust, blow off valve and some NOS. Pretty swag ride now.
SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SLUSHIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2011 at 10:50pm
Well I hope you crash it.
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote andyc5315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2011 at 3:45am
Just put new roters, and a knock sensor on mine. Still goin strong.
Worst I had was wonderful.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bluedot_snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2011 at 8:48pm
I wonder how much 20" low pro snow tires are X.XLOL mine came with a cat back flowmaster, if your careful craigslist can be a very good thing.  what year do you have slushie?
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2011 at 9:03pm
I've been working on getting one. I'm really thinking of the Subi Outback.  I like the looks and the performance. Anyone drive one of these bad boys?  Any thoughts?
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SLUSHIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2011 at 9:06pm
I got all new tires.  They are supposedly the best tire out of all the all-seasons for snow.  Cant wait to go snowdrift!
njironman6 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Quote njironman6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2011 at 8:08am
I love owning a subaru AWD FTW
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote fishkur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2011 at 8:26am
Originally posted by SLUSHIE

I got all new tires.  They are supposedly the best tire out of all the all-seasons for snow.  Cant wait to go snowdrift!

So you have mediocre performance in all conditions now?  Just buy a cheap set of steel rims and throw some inexpensive winter tires on them to swap for snow season.  Low-end winter tires are still better than expensive all-seasons.
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2011 at 8:36am
drove it on the beach+ car camped .

BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BudAshes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2011 at 8:43am
I'm interested in buying a subaru to replace my car.  What years/model do you guys like for a small wagon with a stick shift thats under 10k.
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2011 at 8:49am
^^WRX 2004-06 or Outback.
Did you google it?
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BudAshes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2011 at 8:53am
Originally posted by RideTimeless

Isn't the wrx turbo charged?  I'd rather have better gas mileage than power.  Power just means speeding tickets.  I like the outback but it's kind of big.  I'll have to test drive one and check it out.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2011 at 9:01am
Originally posted by BudAshes

Isn't the wrx turbo charged?  I'd rather have better gas mileage than power.  Power just means speeding tickets.  I like the outback but it's kind of big.  I'll have to test drive one and check it out.

yeah it is.  The 2.5 is the non-turbo version, but Edmunds doesn't show much mileage difference.
http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/impreza/2004/
Did you google it?
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BudAshes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2011 at 9:33am

yeah it is.  The 2.5 is the non-turbo version, but Edmunds doesn't show much mileage difference.
http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/impreza/2004/

looking at craigslist there is literally no decent subarus anywhere near the edmunds prices for them.
SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SLUSHIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2011 at 3:33pm

For normal driving you stay under 3k.  Turbo doesn't kick in till 3k, so for average driving the mileage between a turbo and non-turbo is the same.

turbo models require premium gas though.

Originally posted by fishkur

So you have mediocre performance in all conditions now?  Just buy a cheap set of steel rims and throw some inexpensive winter tires on them to swap for snow season.  Low-end winter tires are still better than expensive all-seasons.

I don't live in the snow, in fact I'm like an hour and a half from it.  Absolutely no point in getting a winter tire when I'm just going to be wrecking them on the street 95% of the time.  Tires I got have a 50k warranty.  So they lack a bit of performance in dry and not as capable in snow, but I don't drive like a jackass so its not a big deal.  They are really highly rated in wet however.

I have the ones on the top obviously.

njironman6 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Quote njironman6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 7:22am
I have a impreza 2.5rs 2003. My gas mileage is about the same as the turbo all depends on how you drive. If you shift before 3k everytime city it will improve (although its hard to do so with a subie )

Id suggest (if you dont want a turbo) 02-05 2.5rs wagon. If u want the turbo sames only get the wrx.

** you MUST put 91 or better octane in both 2.5rs and wrx. Temporarily you can drive 89-91 in the 2.5rs but thats temp. The wrx id never put anything less than 91 in it.

Im a bit of a subie head.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 7:25am
^^^why 91 octane on a non-turbo subie?  Is it high compression all motor?
Did you google it?
SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SLUSHIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2011 at 12:44am
It's not required in a non turbo at all.  I'm pretty active on the NASIOC forums, and it's been decided that running a higher octane in the non turbo actually decreases performance because its intended to run on 87.

You may get that performance back if you had it tuned, but not really worth doing that.

the turbo however you have to use 91 to get the best benefit.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2011 at 8:48am
My wife drives a '05 VW Passat, the 4-cyl with the Turbo, and it requires the good stuff.  Also, it requires fully synthetic oil.  It's a bit pricey, but it runs ridiculously smooth and trouble free.

Does that smaller but Turbo'ed engine also give a Subi a lift?  When we compared the 4-Cyl Turbo engine to the standard V6, we liked the Turbo a lot better.  Smoother and less gas being burned in town, lots of power for Montana mountains when you need it.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
bcusitsjeff View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote bcusitsjeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2011 at 3:36pm
i miss my subaru. hopefully will get another one next year
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2011 at 4:41pm
I love mine.  I have a 97 impreza 1.8 with a ton of suspension mods. 
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
Duneluder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Duneluder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2011 at 4:44pm
LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. My Subaru Outback, she's a bit dirty on the way to Whistler last January with my brother.

Just got some new tires too!

Edit: Picture size

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2011 at 4:49pm
second car was an 93 legacy wagon i drove for over 2 years.  ultimately the reason i got rid of it was cause the AWD was not functioning right and i kinda wanted to upgrade anyway, so i sold that and scored an 01 outback, car i've always wanted.  i don't do anything special to my cars, i just like good all season tires, a functioning stock stereo, and i throw on a roof rack as well.  every car has it's little issues but i love my subies.. although my first car was pretty killer and i miss it.  88 cherokee, gunmetal grey with gold spoke rims, leather interior, it was sweet... all 270k miles on it
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 11:40am
We've been looking for another Subaru for my wife, but people are insane in their asking prices on Craigslist. I bought my WRX only a few years old for under $12k. Now, we're looking for 10 year old Outbacks with WAY more mileage than my car had when I bought it and they're all asking $7k+ with 150k miles. My car had less than half that many miles.

Yay Colorado :(
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Superorb

We've been looking for another Subaru for my wife, but people are insane in their asking prices on Craigslist. I bought my WRX only a few years old for under $12k. Now, we're looking for 10 year old Outbacks with WAY more mileage than my car had when I bought it and they're all asking $7k+ with 150k miles. My car had less than half that many miles.

Yay Colorado :(

If you pick one up in So Cal, you end up with one modified, lowered with summer tires selling for $5k.  Sorry to hear the price mark up there Super.
Did you google it?
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 11:53am

If you pick one up in So Cal, you end up with one modified, lowered with summer tires selling for $5k.  Sorry to hear the price mark up there Super.

We moved out to CO in July, and we sold my wife's car since it was a crappy Versa that lived in the shop. Looking back, we might have been better off buying the car in NC and driving it to CO. I just didn't want my wife driving 4 days straight, alone, while I drove the moving truck towing my WRX on a trailer.

Supply and demand.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 11:58am
Have you considered the Legacy Turbo?  I am looking into that as a easier alternative to the WRX to come by.  Can even get a 4 banger 6-speed.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by carebear

Have you considered the Legacy Turbo?  I am looking into that as a easier alternative to the WRX to come by.  Can even get a 4 banger 6-speed.

I already have an 02 WRX wagon, so we want her car to be a non turbo automatic. Her Versa was a 6-speed, and she will NEVER drive another manual car if I have anything to say about it. I was thinking about something with the 2.2L motor, those things are bulletproof. But, she wants something newer, it can't be old. 2001 is the oldest car she'll get. She used to want only a 3 year old car, but after she saw the price tag and realized there's no way we could afford it she's loosened up a bit. I told her to make more money if she wants a more expensive car :D
Snow Day Colorado

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bluedot_snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 5:38pm

I'm interested in buying a subaru to replace my car.  What years/model do you guys like for a small wagon with a stick shift thats under 10k.

you want the subaru gravel express or as we know it here in usdm world as the impreza outback sport to my knowledge they only made these until 99ish. so this is a first gen trim line only. my friend has a 5 speed and man does it do the trick! his is a 98 with a 2.2l and my mechanic has is opposed to the 2.5's because they tend to have head gasket problems.
SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SLUSHIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 5:52pm
Wait for this thing, it looks freaking awesome.  I think you have to wait till like 2014 or something though.

Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by bluedot_snow

you want the subaru gravel express or as we know it here in usdm world as the impreza outback sport to my knowledge they only made these until 99ish. so this is a first gen trim line only. my friend has a 5 speed and man does it do the trick! his is a 98 with a 2.2l and my mechanic has is opposed to the 2.5's because they tend to have head gasket problems.

He wants a small Subaru wagon, and Subaru has been making small wagons forever. The gravel express is a limited run of an Australian car, but you can still get Outback Sports from many years, they're currently still making them.

Snow Day Colorado

SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SLUSHIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 10:17pm
Thats cool, I like seeing the special versions that other countries get, I had never heard about that Gravel Express version.

I wish we got the versions of the WRX that people get in the UK, with Prodrive and Cosworth parts n stuff.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 10:26pm
i've owned 4 but only really kept 2.  first one was my second car, a 93 legacy wagon (pre-outback).  had it for a little over 2 years and ultimately got rid of it for a new car cause the AWD wasn't working right, and i had lots of issues getting stuck where i shoudn't have.  can't have that during a northwest winter.  at that time i pretty quickly came across an 01 outback which is basically the car i always wanted.  got that, sold the 93, and it was great.  have had some work done on it since buying it but it's good now.  stuff like all new brakes, calipers, and rotors, new cv joint, some light tranny stuff.  has the typical subaru head gasket leak from that time period but it's not very bad and isn't causing problems.. yet.  it's also external and only drips a little coolant so that's good as far as gasket leaks go.  i will have to have it replaced eventually if i want to keep the car, but that's in the future.

also owned 90 and 92 wagons i think.  just bought and sold those for money.  sold one for a perfectly fair price but had bought it for real cheap from a friend.  other one was the same but i only sold it for a little more than i got it for which was still an awesome deal for that person.. win-win.  two good deals on cars for people and i made a little money : )

the only other car i've owned was an 88 jeep cherokee and it was a beast.  270k miles and ran like a champ, gunmetal grey with gold spoke rims and a black leather interior.  ballin.  i miss that car...
SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SLUSHIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 10:34pm
Someones having a senior moment.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 10:35pm
huh?
SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SLUSHIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by spenser

second car was an 93 legacy wagon i drove for over 2 years.  ultimately the reason i got rid of it was cause the AWD was not functioning right and i kinda wanted to upgrade anyway, so i sold that and scored an 01 outback, car i've always wanted.  i don't do anything special to my cars, i just like good all season tires, a functioning stock stereo, and i throw on a roof rack as well.  every car has it's little issues but i love my subies.. although my first car was pretty killer and i miss it.  88 cherokee, gunmetal grey with gold spoke rims, leather interior, it was sweet... all 270k miles on it

You said a bunch of that already, albeit much less detail.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 10:46pm
whoa.  totally forgot i posted in here..
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2011 at 6:37am

I wish we got the versions of the WRX that people get in the UK, with Prodrive and Cosworth parts n stuff.

I have an 02 WRX wagon, and everywhere else in the world they had 02 STi wagons. Better motor, wheels, tires, brakes, transmission, headlights, interior, etc. It's ALL better, but USA got screwed by Japanese automakers like usual.
Snow Day Colorado

Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2011 at 6:40am

has the typical subaru head gasket leak from that time period but it's not very bad and isn't causing problems.. yet.  it's also external and only drips a little coolant so that's good as far as gasket leaks go.  i will have to have it replaced eventually if i want to keep the car, but that's in the future.

I don't know if Subaru sent you the bulletin a while ago, but there was a TSB on the head gasket leak where they issued two bottles of Subaru Coolant Conditioner to all these cars that helped plug the small leaks. I'm guessing your head gasket(s) are weaping at the back of the motor, the bottom of where the head meets the block? Most of the used cars I've looked at are leaking there, and the owners refuse to lower the price on the car even though it's a $1500+ job to repair since the motor needs to come out, and there's two head gaskets to replace. One on each side of the motor. Might as well rebuild the thing since almost everyhting is apart at that point. I'd just buy a motor from the 2005+ cars though.
Snow Day Colorado

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bluedot_snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2011 at 4:43pm

I have an 02 WRX wagon, and everywhere else in the world they had 02 STi wagons. Better motor, wheels, tires, brakes, transmission, headlights, interior, etc. It's ALL better, but USA got screwed by Japanese automakers like usual.

Thats why I have an I love JDM not USDM sticker on my car. at least my engine is really made in japanDead
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bluedot_snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2011 at 4:50pm

has the typical subaru head gasket leak from that time period but it's not very bad and isn't causing problems.. yet.  it's also external and only drips a little coolant so that's good as far as gasket leaks go.  i will have to have it replaced eventually if i want to keep the car, but that's in the future.

I don't know if Subaru sent you the bulletin a while ago, but there was a TSB on the head gasket leak where they issued two bottles of Subaru Coolant Conditioner to all these cars that helped plug the small leaks. I'm guessing your head gasket(s) are weaping at the back of the motor, the bottom of where the head meets the block? Most of the used cars I've looked at are leaking there, and the owners refuse to lower the price on the car even though it's a $1500+ job to repair since the motor needs to come out, and there's two head gaskets to replace. One on each side of the motor. Might as well rebuild the thing since almost everyhting is apart at that point. I'd just buy a motor from the 2005+ cars though.

OH MAN HEADGASKETS!!!! 
I bought a 96 legacy knowing it likely needed this job. 1/2 into the job we learned that the heads were a few thousandths out of spec! so off to the machine shop who recommended a valve job as some exhaust ports were not sealing properly. thankfully a friend and I did all the work so no shop costs, but it still turned out to be close to bluebook everything said and done. so if your looking to buy a subaru that might need a head gasket have the ability to take care of it right away or your asking for trouble! also CHECK THE BYPASS HOSE!!!
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2011 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by bluedot_snow

Thats why I have an I love JDM not USDM sticker on my car. at least my engine is really made in japanDead

My car was made in Japan, as are all the WRX/STi's still to this day I believe.
Snow Day Colorado

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bluedot_snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2011 at 2:40am
now for the lift geez does it take alot of work!
nikoname View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote nikoname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2011 at 6:51pm
i'm a owner of Subaru impreza outback sport 1999
love the car, all my cars are only hatchback/wagons. so far I haven't done anything with the car, but first I'd get done is a noise isolation.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2011 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by nikoname

love the car, all my cars are only hatchback/wagons. so far I haven't done anything with the car, but first I'd get done is a noise isolation.

Good luck, I don't know anything that'll stop the insane wind noise the older imprza's make.
I've got a 97 with a ton of sound deadening.  You can make the doors sound good acoustically but eliminating road noise is impossible. 
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bluedot_snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2011 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by not-ewrx

Originally posted by nikoname

Good luck, I don't know anything that'll stop the insane wind noise the older imprza's make.
I've got a 97 with a ton of sound deadening.  You can make the doors sound good acoustically but eliminating road noise is impossible. 

if noise is your problem, MAKE MORE! lol mine came with a flow master and I put a small sub in no more wind noise x.x
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2011 at 6:44am
My 02 WRX wagon is fairly quiet inside. Now, our new 03 Forester is almost unbearable with wind noise.
Snow Day Colorado

azngolfur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote azngolfur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2011 at 6:00am
Just put re-installed my roof rack on the scooby today... ready for this season!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>