Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jds3939 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Jib Board-
    Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 9:51am
Hey I am a decent all mountain rider (5'5" 140 pounds) who knows the basics of the park (I can do boardslides, 180 on/off boxes, 50-50 small down rails, etc.) but really wants to get good at jibs. I am thinking of the Ride Crush, K2 WWW, Arbor Draft, or Endeavor Color (and maybe the Bataleon Disaster). Which would be best for REALLY good presses and butters while not totally sacrificing the ability to do small jumps and cruise the mountain?

Thanks!

[P.S. I would appreciate advice from people who have personal experience with one or more of the boards I mentioned i.e. you have owned it, demoed it, or have a friend who has it, etc. (but any advice would be great)]
MurphyMasta View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 10:12am
Okay i have a WWW and it's a great jib board. the only downside is that this board doesn't carve very well. Carving on the WWW is comparable to carving on a door. However the jib tech rocker makes pressing a dream and this board also pops very well. The top sheet of the WWW is made of the same material as the bottom so snow doesnt stick as easily to it if it were a glossy top sheet. Also this board has a longer effective edge so you can ride it 5cm shorter. This board flex is medium i'd say. It isn't a noodle by all means. I have hit 40-50 foot jumps with it and it hasn't had issues with washing out. At high speeds this board is a bit shaky. But i think this board would be a good match for you in terms of what you want out of a board.
idshredhead View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 10:25am
weird that you can't carve well on a www but you hit 50 foot jumps on it. Approaching a 50 foot jump is not considered high speed? 

Are you super small for the size you're riding? camber or rocker?

I rode a www rocker 58 for quite a while. I weighed like 165 then. For me anything 40+ was sketchy as hell as far as jumping. When I was riding up the lips at the canyons big line and the tip and tail were flapping like a fat kids arm fat, it wasn't a very comfortable feeling. For cruising small resorts and 'small' park stuff the WWW is a good option to consider.  The base is slow and super soft, tHe topsheet is easy to maintain, and its relatively cheap(price and construction). There are better options in the price range though, IMO.
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 10:31am
The main reason he cant "carve" well with it is likely because he cant carve at all.  He probably just slides around down the hill, skidding all over the place with rear leg steering and just never utilizing the proper carve turn technique.  And if you cant carve at all, there is no way in hell you are doing 50 footers, I'm sorry...  Proper edgehold is crucial to nailing bigger kickers, and when you mess up the take off, you are done.  A 20 footer is more believable, but I would still say questionable.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 10:37am
Originally posted by idshredhead

weird that you can't carve well on a www but you hit 50 foot jumps on it. Approaching a 50 foot jump is not considered high speed? 

Are you super small for the size you're riding? camber or rocker?

I rode a www rocker 58 for quite a while. I weighed like 165 then. For me anything 40+ was sketchy as hell as far as jumping. When I was riding up the lips at the canyons big line and the tip and tail were flapping like a fat kids arm fat, it wasn't a very comfortable feeling. For cruising small resorts and 'small' park stuff the WWW is a good option to consider.  The base is slow and super soft, tHe topsheet is easy to maintain, and its relatively cheap(price and construction). There are better options in the price range though, IMO.

I am 5 10 and ride a 153. The board isnt techically camber or rocker its a jib rocker. Like its flat and there is a small amount of rise in the tip and tail. Yes this board in my opinion wasnt sketchy at all on a 40 foot jump i may have exaggerated with 50. I think that carving is particularly hard to carve on because of the raised contact points. Also this board is comfortable at medium high speeds but yes your right at high speeds it is a bit like the flapping of a fat kids arm. LOL
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 10:49am
Actually JB i can carve, don't be a flame my post when you just make up a bunch of stuff about how i can't carve trust me i can. I know the rudder style carving you are referring to and i can assure you i don't do that. Also if you familiar with the all black shredder i agree with his opinion on this board. you can check his link. AllBlackShredderonWWW Oh and about the 20 footer. heres a shot of a 35 footer...
jds3939 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 11:05am
Alright guys I don't even need to be worrying about how good a board is on 40+ foot jumps because I ride at a smaller South PA resort that doesn't usually even have jumps over 25-30 feet. Plus I am looking for a really jib focused board to get super good presses and butters on down rails and such. I'm fine at carving and am used to riding a youth 137 noodle so really I think any board will handle as well as that did.

And I will be riding with other people that have jib focused boards (think PBJ or Salomonder) so I don't need to be going any faster than them.
idshredhead View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 11:08am
Originally posted by MurphyMasta

The board isnt techically camber or rocker its a jib rocker.

they were building rocker and camber models of the www for a couple of years, I haven't really followed the board much, looks like it was just rocker for last years and this years.
jds3939 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 11:14am
Anyways any more advice on which board to get or are you guys just gonna keep arguing about murphy's carving ability, how big a jump he went off, what kind of camber the www is, etc..
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
New 2012 setup for outerwear

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 11:16am
check out some lobster snowboards. They are based off bataleon and they are really good for jubs. Im going to be picking one up shortly .
11 Dc lauri pro tone, 11 Rome s90 bindings

Check out www.wonsnow.com
jds3939 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 11:20am
Yeah I mentioned the Bataleon Disaster which is identical to the Lobster Jibboard. The only thing that makes me unsure about that is that Its cambered so I don't know how good it would be for butters and spins on rails in comparison to the others.
srahrle View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 11:25am
Dont go with a bataleon if youre trying to get better at rails. I have a bataleon evil twin now and I love it but whenever I know im gunna be hittin rails that day i switch to my k2 WWW. The TBT (triple base technology) that bataleon uses on its boards isnt the greatest for trying to stay flat on a rail. You slide off pretty easily.
srahrle View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 11:36am
oh and if you get a size that fits you right the weapon is fine for hitting jumps. I landed my first 900 on a WWW over a 50-60 footer so no issues
TGozdor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 11:38am
Get a capita horror scope
there sick
jds3939 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 11:41am
srahrle, so you recommend the WWW for fast rail progression and good presses?

Lots of people say WWW is great for what I'm looking to do, but I feel like it is due to a lack of knowledge of the other boards I mention. People that I talk to haven't ridden the Ride Crush, Arbor Draft, or Endeavor Color, only the WWW. So they suggest that one...
sarpedonice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 11:44am
Of all the boards in your list only Bataleon Disaster has a camber profile. So it rides quite different than other reverse camber sticks. You have the pop and shock absorbing goodness of camber under your feet.

On the other hand Disaster has that loose feel when ridden flat thanks to its TBT base as the contact points are raised from the snow. But when you're on an edge, board holds edge like a full camber board.  It also has soft flex of the WDT core, a wooden composite softer than solid wood but has more impact resistance. Easy to press, real fun to butter. Some people don't like how TBT rides, and there are many swear by it. For me Bataleons work great in the park and for jibbing.

Also I'm not a big fan of full reverse camber boards. Practically no POP and ollies are joke. The farthest I go are flat hybrids like Horrorscope which has still life in it if you need to load the board for jumps. So my other suggestion would be Capita Horroscope which is a good jib focused board.
jds3939 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 11:55am
Yeah the TBT seems great for what you mentioned and that is exactly why I am thinking about the disaster. The problem I see is when spinning on a rail with camber the contact points go below the top surface of the rail when in boardslide position. So, turning from boardslide position into 50-50 would cause the edges to get caught up (I'm not sure if that makes sense or even how true it is, just what I was thinking). Also the slipping off of rails due to decreased surface area on the base seems no good.

Also the more i think about it the less the Arbor Draft seems like a good board. Yeah i would be able to press it but it seems as though I would be sacrificing all other aspects of riding. So as of now, my list is WWW, Ride Crush, Endeavor Color, and the Bataleon Disaster (unless someone can convince me otherwise)
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 12:05pm
You should check out the never summer evo also. EVO Link
sarpedonice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by jds3939

Yeah the TBT seems great for what you mentioned and that is exactly why I am thinking about the disaster. The problem I see is when spinning on a rail with camber the contact points go below the top surface of the rail when in boardslide position. So, turning from boardslide position into 50-50 would cause the edges to get caught up (I'm not sure if that makes sense or even how true it is, just what I was thinking). Also the slipping off of rails due to decreased surface area on the base seems no good.

Also the more i think about it the less the Arbor Draft seems like a good board. Yeah i would be able to press it but it seems as though I would be sacrificing all other aspects of riding. So as of now, my list is WWW, Ride Crush, Endeavor Color, and the Bataleon Disaster (unless someone can convince me otherwise)

Seems like the right logic but not, when you are on a board with rocker between your feet, your weight flattens the board down. If the edge would be a problem it would be with a rocker board too.

When you move from board slide to 50-50 your board should be perfectly flat on the box etc. That's when only your base touches the surface. Since your edges have at least 1º bevel (park boards usually have 3º) you shouldn't be grinding no metal. ;)
jds3939 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 1:00pm
Murphy, I actually was just looking at the Evo but was unsure how it compared to the skate banana. The 149 banana is a bit too stiff for what I am looking for but if the Evo was softer than that would definitely be a good board to consider. The only problem is the price point is a bit high.

Sarpedonice, the think is that i thought with rocker since the edges are lifted UP from the center of the board this would allow you to go from boardslide to 50-50 on box even if the board is bent downward a little from your weight. On camber the edges are lower than the center of the board, especially due your weight pushing down on either side. If the center of the board is on the rail and the edges are below the center of the board, than the turn from boardslide to 50-50 would mean contact with the edge and the rail. I don't doubt that you can still perform that trick on a cambered board, it just seems easier on rocker. But the TBT might make up for everything I just said so yeah... I don't know. That's why I ask for advice. Regardless, I will definitely continue to keep the Bataleon in mind.
packfan4ever View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 1:28pm
Consider the capita horrorscope or if your trying to save some cash get the stairmaster. Both are amazing jib boards and i was able to hit jumps just fine when i rode both of them. Carveing isnt the greatest but its definatly do able.
srahrle View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 1:40pm
the WWW is a good board for rails and it will handle jumps. but like you said i cant tell you to not get any of the other boards you mentioned cuz i dont know much about them. ive only owned an atomic revival, two WWW's and the bataleon evil twin i have now
jds3939 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by srahrle

the WWW is a good board for rails and it will handle jumps. but like you said i cant tell you to not get any of the other boards you mentioned cuz i dont know much about them. ive only owned an atomic revival, two WWW's and the bataleon evil twin i have now

You have owned 2 WWWs? That is a really good sign (unless the reason you got a second was that the first one broke).

Also, regarding the Horrorscope...
Although I like to think that I don't care about graphics and function comes over fashion, the Horrrorscope has a topsheet that completely repulses me. I personally hate rotting dead things on my board...
Even if the board I get is slightly worse, at least I will not despise what I see whenever I look down at what I am riding on.
jds3939 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 2:16pm
But I guess I will maybe consider the Horrorscope, I just am leaning more towards my other options...
thesupaflies View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 2:37pm
i have heard a lot of good things about the k2 www. if i were you i would check out the forum manual. it isnt too expensive if you are on a budget or something. but i just bought a forum youngblood and ive been doing some awesome presses and tail blocks in my basement. the manual is going to be a little bit softer than the youngblood too which i think would make for good jibbing. hope this helps
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 2:47pm

did anyone notice that WWW didn't get in as a good wood winner? after winning many other years before?

I wonder if k2 entered the baord in to be tested or not.. well actually most of the k2 boards that usually win arn't even in it this year.
jds3939 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by thesupaflies

i have heard a lot of good things about the k2 www. if i were you i would check out the forum manual. it isnt too expensive if you are on a budget or something. but i just bought a forum youngblood and ive been doing some awesome presses and tail blocks in my basement. the manual is going to be a little bit softer than the youngblood too which i think would make for good jibbing. hope this helps

I'm not on a strict budget or anything, I was just saying earlier that the Evo seemed a bit expensive because all the other boards I am looking at are $400 or under and the Evo is $500.

So long story short, I am not looking for a strict-budget board.
gmo1011 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Front Board

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 3:24pm
I had the skate banana, and hated it. Also the DC PBJ is a shitty board, and now i'm getting a salomon drift rocker. We'll see how that is. the EVO is a really good option and the WWW isn't a bad ride either.
jds3939 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 3:43pm
Does anyone have anything to say about the Ride Crush or Endeavor Color?
jds3939 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 6:00pm
Anything is appreciated
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by MurphyMasta

Actually JB i can carve, don't be a flame my post when you just make up a bunch of stuff about how i can't carve trust me i can. I know the rudder style carving you are referring to and i can assure you i don't do that. Also if you familiar with the all black shredder i agree with his opinion on this board. you can check his link. AllBlackShredderonWWW Oh and about the 20 footer. heres a shot of a 35 footer...

That looks like a 20 footer btw... and here is a shot of a bigger kicker...

I can post pictures of jumps too

And by the way its not "rudder carving" because it isn't carving period... its called rear leg steering and skid turning...  which is likely what you are doing... cheers

srahrle View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 8:33pm
no the first one didnt break. i just upgraded in size is all. outgrew the first one i got
SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 9:17pm
I been looking at getting a park board too.  I just checked out all the Never Summer boards and it seems all of them use some lame reverse camber/camber combo.

I kick it old school.  Camber or nothing at all.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 9:43pm
you could try to find an uninc...  if not, the capita stairmaster is cambered, or you could go with the extreme for something stiffer...
jds3939 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2011 at 4:34pm
Also does anyone have any experience with the Nitro Swindle?
jds3939 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2011 at 2:37pm
Hey guys I am now thinking more along the lines of getting a Lib Tech Skate Banana, Ride Crush, or Possibly a Ride Kink.

The Skate Banana seems nice with banana rocker but feels pretty stiff to me and I have to put my stance out at like 23" (I'm a little under 5'6") in order to get good pressing ability. I feel like this wide of a stance could hinder my riding in other aspects, plus the Banana seems a bit heavy.

As for the Ride Crush and Kink, I have not seen them in person. The Crush seems like a really flexy board which I like and it is supposed to be really light weight. How true is this and also would it be better/worse than the banana for: (a.) pressing, (b.) jumping, and (c.) cruising the groomers?

Also is the Ride Kink going to be more well rounded than the Crush while still being softer than the banana? I really am just looking to get a softer option than the banana unless you all think the banana would be the best option. (Also don't say to get another board just because they are cheaper and it would not be worth the extra $$$ to get the banana, cuz I got the banana for $300 so a different board would actually cost me more.)

Thanks Again

(P.S. I would be looking at the 147 in the Kink and Crush and 149 Banana, I am 145 pounds)
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2011 at 1:00pm
how bout downsizing a little on the banana.
you said a 149 is a bit stiff... so maybe a 147 instead.
i got last season's artifact rocker 147 after trying my buddy's 150 last season. haven't ridden mine yet, but his was a great all-mtn. butter machine. i wanted a noodle so i got a 147 instead. the 150 is def. softer than the banana 149.
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2011 at 1:13pm
i cant speak for the WWW personally but my friend was able to carve on it without problem. It wasnt the easiest thing but it was possible.
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2011 at 2:12pm
i'd say WWW, but i think the latest model is more noodle. so i'd go the previous yrs models. presonal preference i guess.
jds3939 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2011 at 2:25pm
2zz, the smallest size for the Skate Banana is 149, plus I got got it for $300 so i would not pay $200 more for 2cm smaller. Also, you are 125 pounds and the 150 artifact rocker was soft for you but still semi-versatile? Maybe that would be a good option. It seems similar to the WWW but with more pop.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2011 at 9:18pm
i was looking into the k2 www rocker too, but lots of review said it was unstable at higher speeds. dunno much bout the board myself though. played with both boards with very similar size at my local shop, www rocker def. feels like its softer than the artifact rocker just by hand pressing it while holding each board up from the floor.  
luckily, i got to try my buddy's artifact rocker 150 (which is my preferred size) for a few runs, it held an edge great, handled higher speeds easily, pop was good for reverse camber (fk has better pop), and def. handled 20-30 ft. jumps good... i wouldn't say is great though since i have felt better, but maybe was me not totally used to the board yet. 
let me know what you have decided after you get it. just curious.     
 Post Reply Post Reply