The hypothetical question of the day thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 52>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote andyc5315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The hypothetical question of the day thread
    Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 4:33am
Lets say your out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, and your brand new yacht is taking on water. You have to abandon the yacht and get into an emergency life raft.  Before you do you have time to grab 5 things. What do you grab?
Choose 5 things from the list and say why.

life jacket
box of chocolate bars
compass
sextant
Map of the Atlantic
15x15 Plastic tarp
five gallon jug of water
shark repellant
rope
fishing pole
mirror
pack of water proof matches
your snowboardWink
flash light
a gallon of gasoline
a paddle for the raft
coffee filters
two way radio with a 10 mile radius
crate with a week of food rations
first aid kit
flare gun with two shots
sun screen

Worst I had was wonderful.
ktown View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ktown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 4:59am
flare gun, tarp, flash light, paddle, water

flare and flash light to signal a resuce boat or whatever might come.
tarp for warmth
paddle for....paddling
water to survive
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 5:43am
None of the above. Instead I'd grab a stapler, 2 lbs of salt, and a bear skin rug. These are really the only survival tools you'll ever need.
firstcrack View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
It broke :P

Quote firstcrack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 5:45am
I'd just make sure Bear Grylls is with me.
ktown View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ktown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 5:53am
Originally posted by letourneau41

None of the above. Instead I'd grab a stapler, 2 lbs of salt, and a bear skin rug. These are really the only survival tools you'll ever need.

what good with the stapler and 2lbs of salt do?
njironman6 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Quote njironman6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 6:01am
Water, Crate of food, Fishing pole, first aid kit, mirror. BOOM.
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 7:21am
Originally posted by andyc5315

Lets say your out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, and your brand new yacht is taking on water. You have to abandon the yacht and get into an emergency life raft.  Before you do you have time to grab 5 things. What do you grab?
Choose 5 things from the list and say why.

life jacket
box of chocolate bars
compass
sextant
Map of the Atlantic
15x15 Plastic tarp
five gallon jug of water
shark repellant
rope
fishing pole
mirror
pack of water proof matches
your snowboardWink
flash light
a gallon of gasoline
a paddle for the raft
coffee filters
first aid kit
flare gun with two shots
sun screen

I'd grab the tarp and the fishing pole to make a sail to get my ass home,

My third item would be the flesh light.

Oh, you said FLASH light...hmmmm....well I guess some water then....
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 7:24am
^^in such desperate times, your still so picky and couldnt just use your hands. seesh
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 7:36am
Originally posted by coolz

^^in such desperate times, your still so picky and couldnt just use your hands. seesh

Well, you don't want to develop blisties out at sea, man! Wink
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote andyc5315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 8:25am
Originally posted by batmanwest

Just gotta grab that sunscreen.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 8:28am
Originally posted by andyc5315

Originally posted by batmanwest

Just gotta grab that sunscreen.

Don't you think it will look odd when you finally are rescued that the only things that are not sunburned is one palm and your pecker?
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 8:38am
why would you show your pecker when you get rescued though?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 8:44am
^ Good point but what if you lost all of your clothes while swimming to the island?  Remember, when a boat capsizes and you are thrown into the ocean your clothes will weigh you down.
LegalBoarding View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LegalBoarding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 9:42am
Tarp, Flares, Flashlight, Water, and Fishing pole. 

Tarp = shelter/sail
Flares/light = signals for life
Water = you need fresh water
Fishing pole= fish for fooddd

As for why you would show your pecker when rescued.... well the sometimes you just need to strip down and use ur pants, shirt, and underwear as a filter or fish storage hahaha. 
return2heaven View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote return2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 10:01am
life jacket - survival
flare gun - signaling
water - you can't drink sea water
food - umm yeah common sense
tarp - for shelter, especially from the sun
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 10:03am
Okay, I change my mind a little. I think I will be taking 5 things from the list, not 3. Sitting at home, cleaning, waiting for my in-laws to show up have made me re-think my choices. My picks are in bold.

life jacket-Eff that, why do I need a life jacket, when I have a life raft? I know the warning labels usually say they are not life saving devices, but I always say those warnings are for pansies that don't know what they are doing.
box of chocolate bars
compass-Don't need a compass, I have the stars.
sextant-Not really sure what this is, but I feel I need it.
Map of the Atlantic-What, am I going to use the map to locate a 7/11 on broad street, then I'll magically know which way to go? I am pretty sure when you are in most places in the Atlantic you have 2 choices. East, or West. See note about compass and the stars.
15x15 Plastic tarp-Don't need anymore, Using clothes as a sail.
five gallon jug of water-Will be taking this item.
shark repellant-Do not need. Just got my Astronautalis Super Sweet Pre-order album. Comes with some cool SWAG including this knife necklace pictured below. Shark comes in my raft, I'll stab a bitch.

rope-Will take some rope now. Will help with keeping sail upright, and if I get lucky, lasso a dolphin and have it pull me to land.
fishing pole-Taking. Need for mast, catching food, luring in said dolphin to pull me to safety.
mirror
pack of water proof matches-What the hell would I light with matches? Did I bring a waterproof joint with me?
your snowboardWink-Kidding me right. Obviously you have never sailed into the Atlantic.
flash light Flesh Light-Taking.
a gallon of gasoline-Was seriously thinking about snagging this one, but then after a careful look over of what things I could bring, non of them put together to make a MacGyver motor.
a paddle for the raft-What do I need a paddle for when I have a dolphin and rope?
coffee filters-How dare you even get me excited there would be coffee.
two way radio with a 10 mile radius-If I am 10 miles from land or a boat, I can just aim my lassoed dolphin in that direction. Waste of space.
crate with a week of food rations-Who needs food when you have 20lbs of extra fat on your body to burn off, and a fishing pole?
first aid kit-Neosporin is for pussies.
flare gun with two shots-No thanks, I would just end up using them to entertain me, instead of rescue, then I would end up pissed off the next day after said fireworks.
sun screen-Taking this. See "Flesh Light"

So I guess there you have it. My 5 picks to get me home.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 10:18am
^ You definitely have too much time on your hands....
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 10:22am
Originally posted by ctoma

^ You definitely have too much time on your hands....

You really just have no idea.

It is going to be amazing once this company calls me and offers me the job I interviewed for Monday.

Honestly though, it took maybe 6 or 7 minutes to write that up including the taking and uploading of the photo.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 10:23am
^ Good luck, hope this company works out for you.
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mrrorydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 10:25am

Rope is a good choice to go along with the flesh light/sun screen combo. Just incase you're feeling like the lead singer of INXS while on the life raft. I would also recommend at least one carton of Newport menthol cigarettes. Why? Because they make you feel alive with pleasure!

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 10:30am
Originally posted by mrrorydigital

Rope is a good choice to go along with the flesh light/sun screen combo. Just incase you're feeling like the lead singer of INXS while on the life raft. I would also recommend at least one carton of Newport menthol cigarettes. Why? Because they make you feel alive with pleasure!

Ahhhh, the Michael Hutchence autoerotic asphyxiation method.  I guess if you're drifting in the ocean long enough you run out of ways to amuse yourself.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mrrorydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 10:42am
Or the David Carradine method if that's what you prefer.
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote andyc5315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2011 at 3:06am
You, your best friend, and your least favorite brother are all in Salvatore Cardinellas mafia. Your best friend Paulie and your least favorite brother Frankie were doing a job together, but they didn't seal the deal. Now the Mob boss, Sammy the Bull, wants someone to pay. He orders a hit out to you on either Frankie or Paulie. He doesn't care which one, just that one must be an example for the rest of the mafia. Who do you choose?
You cant kill the Mob bossAngry
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2011 at 3:56am
go kill a random on the street, behead them and give the body to the boss. get your bro to get a new face.
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2011 at 3:58am
dont kill either, he didnt order you to kill them, he just ordered a hit but to everyone
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote andyc5315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2011 at 4:39am
Originally posted by rye

go kill a random on the street, behead them and give the body to the boss. get your bro to get a new face.

Frankie and Paulie both show up the next day at the mob meeting in Joeys Pizzeria. Frankie is wearing a Chewbacca mask. The boss knows its Frankie instantly. Now the boss is super pissed that you made him look like an idiot. Just for such disrespect Sammy kills all three of use wise guys.

You decided to fake your brothers death? why not your friends?
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote andyc5315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2011 at 2:31am
Your riding on a plane and your captain comes on the loud speaker after some heavy turbulence. He says that the plane will have to make an emergency landing in the ocean. He also states that there is an island 1 mile away, and that the crew will transport passengers to the island on an emergency raft. He asks the passengers to please remain calm.  On the way down to the ocean the plane hits with such force that it breaks apart and begins to sink. All other passengers and crew died except you. You have time to grab one thing off the plane, before it sinks, and head to the island. What do you grab?
kirkalicious View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kirkalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2011 at 4:48am
A metal drawer from the food cart (sustinence and reflector)
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2011 at 4:58am
l grab the life vest to stay afloat in the water 
Daveongo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Daveongo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2011 at 5:20am
you can either be mentally challenged and not know it or look mentally challenged and know it which one and why?
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote andyc5315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2011 at 2:07pm
^ I could always get plastic surgery and some new clothes if I looked like smeagol, but I guess I wouldnt know so it doesnt matter. You cant change being mentally challenged It would be alot harder to make it in today's world without being smart, and able to learn quickly. Knowledge=money, and happiness.
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Wilz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2011 at 2:48pm

flash light, flare gun, 2 way radio, water, paddle...

don't think i'll last overnight.. so 3 options.. aim to be saved quickly, quickly find land.. or GG
tomek77pl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote tomek77pl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2011 at 2:54pm
water,flare gun ,2 way radiom, crate of food and first aid kit. 

iamjason10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote iamjason10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2011 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by tomek77pl

water,flare gun ,2 way radiom, crate of food and first aid kit. 

same exact thing, seems like your best bet if you dont want to die
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2011 at 8:59pm
Water in case I want to try to survive and the rope in case I decide I'd rather just off myself.  Rather inane question since I wouldn't venture that far from the coast anyway.
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote andyc5315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2011 at 9:28pm
Would you rather be eaten by bears or would you rather be put into a meat grinder?
watching-sunset View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote watching-sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2011 at 9:42pm
ok. in the middle of the atlantic ocean I have very low chances to find any island.. so i will not be able to make any fire.... hope it's not winter time, because in this case i'll have no chances.
So i will take -
water to drink as without it I will probably not survive
15x15 Plastic tarp with it help i will be able to wrap myself at nigh, probably hide from sun not to get burn, and i will be able to gather water when my five gallon jug of water is empty
two way radio with a 10 mile radius - as if I get lost someone will probably start loooking for me)))
and of course flare gun with two shots if finally someone finds me
and I think a box of chocolate bars will be fair) I love chocolate nd it will help me not to starve)
Push hard and you'll reach the top
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote andyc5315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 1:51am
If you had to lose one of your senses,(sight, smell, taste, hearing, touch) which would you choose and why?
Brent View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 2:18am
flare gun with two shots
life jacket
and a compass

these seem to be the most important things for survival so i would take them.
Daveongo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Daveongo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 3:14am
i think i would loose smell because i can barely smell anything as it is
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mrrorydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 3:20am
I would give up my spidey sense!
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote andyc5315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 3:44am
Originally posted by Daveongo

i think i would loose smell because i can barely smell anything as it is

i agree I would give up smell I fell like I hardly smell anything during the day. Plus most smells you do notice smell awful.
winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Quote winn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 4:19am
l would give up smell myself also. doesnt seem as "useful" as the rest
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 4:25am
smell for sure given the choices. or maybe feell.. but that would suck more than smell for sure
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 4:55am
I would hate to give up any of the senses, but I'd consider smell or taste.  I do love the taste of food and as a mom, a sense of smell is imperative.... I definitely wouldn't get rid of the other ones.  Losing the sense of touch would be rough....
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 4:56am
1. snowboard cuz that edge could mess up any shark/ paddle
2. water... duh
3. tarp for sun protection and warmth
4. mirror for day time
5. flare gun for night
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 12:00pm
Why on earth would you take a paddle? You're in the middle of the Atlantic. Have you looked on a map how big that is? Are you planning to paddle to Africa? You need the tarp for shade, water, food, flares in case a rescue helicopter comes, and then probably the board. If you're gonna die, go doing what you love (floating in a raft in the Atlantic with a snowboard). Might help them identify your remains.

If you're prominently involved in organized crime, I think it would help to have no morality/loyalty whatsoever. Otherwise how are you supposed to be a good gangster? I'd kill the friend, the brother and the boss and rule the criminal underworld.

And on the plane crash, I'd grab the best looking dead girl.
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Wilz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 2:11pm
paddling is better than just sitting there doing nothing i would say?
and really.. how many will survive is a storm hits ur tiny life raft.

dead girl... ew.. ew and ew y not alive girl?
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 3:05pm
He said everyone was dead.

Push comes to shove you could eat her...
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Cooperla

He said everyone was dead.

Push comes to shove you could eat her...

You dirty necrophiliac.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 52>