Extra 10-20% off select Purchases
More Info - Join Now
0 Staff | 8 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 392,056 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > Travel, Resorts & Regional Riders > East Coast Riders

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Topic ClosedTri-state

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
njironman6 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tri-state
    Posted: Sep/26/2011 at 5:00pm
Gimme a top 3 of the tri state area mountains for those who have visited alot of them.

Its hard for me to leave the tri state for boarding $$$ cost wise just wanna know the best mountains within it.
60sTrackStar View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 3:03pm
It's really a trade off between distance and quality of mountain.
Mountain Creek in NJ is pretty much closest but probably the worst imo out of the other ones in the proximity.
Hunter is then closest which is pretty decent then belleayre and windham. I haven't been to the two former but they are about 45minutes further, for me anyway and are similar in quality from what I hear. Beyond that your best bet is to go up to Vermont and go to Killington, Stratton, etc.

That being said, I'm probably gonna get a season pass to MC since the drive time is only about an hour and half for me which makes it very convenient for day trips.
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 3:13pm
Where exactly are you located? I can't give much help about NY or NJ but I've ridden a majority of the mountains in PA so I can help you there.
L10rx350 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Reflections

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 3:52pm
Yeah, I'm in Brooklyn, NY.  95% of all the riding I do is in PA, its pretty much the same travel time wise, to Mountain Creek and Hunter, but the mountains are better in PA IMO.
Shawnee, Jack Frost, Big Boulder, Camelback are all decent, Apline mountain not so much.
There is also catamount on NY/MA border, but I didn't love the mountain.

FYI not a park rat, just dealing with riding groomers because that is what is available without spending an entire weekend at a resort in VT.
2009 Burton SLX
2010 GNU Billygoat 162
2011 Union Force - MC
jsquid526 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 4:12pm
Creek gets a lot of hate, but it's my goto mountain since it has one of the best parks on the east. So if you're not just looking for some fun slopes to carve hit up creek. If you want the contrary... yea stay away from creek. There's really only one good steep trail.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 6:17pm
Im in Jackson NJ (think six flags great adventure) I go to school in lock haven, pa the only thing within like 2 hours of me at school is tussey which is tiny. But I dont mind driving to PA or NY just within the 3 hour range from central jersey. My friends go to mountain alot when they can get their hands on the 3 day pass.
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 12:43pm
For Western PA, I'd go to 7 springs as they have one of the best parks on the east coast and a pretty fun mountain overall if you just want to ride. Its about three hours from Lock Haven but is worth taking a trip if you want to check it out. For Eastern Pa, my picks would be Blue Mountain, Jack Frost or Camelback as they have a pretty good blend of park and freeriding. Blue tends to have terrible conditions a lot of the times and gets very crowded. Camelbacks park is pretty boring in my opinion as well. Big Boulder and Bear Creek are fun mountains if you are interested in park but are small and have slow lifts. Both very solid for parks. Also, hear Elk is a good mountain for their trails but have never got up that way.

LegalBoarding View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 1:21pm
Since you're from Brooklyn, I wouldn't worry about the Western PA ones, I'd rather just drive way upstate or even VT. 

I've been pretty much to every resort within 40 miles of the city. I'd say Hunter is pretty decent quality, Creek is bad for groomers or anything when its not a school day, Blue Mountain is whack, Windham is decent, Camelback has pretty decent snow. Best quality snow, I'd say you'd have to New Hampshire or VT. 

You can also take those $20 day trips on those busses that leave at 5am in the morning from the city. I know a few places that do it in the city. They take you up to VT for the day and back, I like doing those occasionally. 
skeem247 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 2:11pm
It really depends on what you like to ride and how far you're willing to travel.  Some people chill in the park all day while others like to do tree runs.  I live in Queens, and my favorite three mountains in the tri-state area are Jay Peak, Sugar Bush, and Stratton.  Stratton is the closest of the 3 but in turn also gets the most crowded on the weekends because of that.  If you like to ride park, take a look at Mount Snow.
If you're looking for closer mountains, check out the Poconos.  Camelback is alright but super crowded, and you'll have to pay extra for a park pass.  None of the PA mountains have more than 1000 feet in vertical I think.  If you want more vertical you'll have to hit the Catskills at least - Hunter and Windham are decent.  If you're willing to go the distance, most of the good mountains in the Northeast are in VT.
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 2:54pm
Tri-State is usually NY/NJ/CT. Belleayre is not big but often has better snow than Hunter or Windham. The base is thicker and there is less ice. Belleayre also has more glades and some pretty quiet back areas, it's a more mellow place than Hunter. If you're going with friends who are learning they can stay on the lower mountain away from intermediates and experts.
Ianitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 10:46pm
Tristate is a loose term... NYC tristate is NY/NJ/CT, Philly Tristate is NJ/PA/Del....

For NJ - Mountain Creek.... Hands Down. Nothing else in Jersey comes close... Beats out a few mountains in PA too... Just gets crazy crowded since its relatively near the NYC/ Jersey City Metro Areas

PA- Jack Frost/Big Boulder/ Camelback like others have said... personally like Big Boulder... About the same as Mountain Creek... Just Mountain Creek is cheaper with triple plays and a bit closer for me.

NY- Not a Clue... I use PA/NJ for day trips and VT for extended...
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2011 at 3:58pm
yeah im looking for mainly day trips from central jersey or state college pa. Just wanted to know everyones favorites/why so I could plan some sweet trips this year. I like mountain creek gonna check camel and jack frost this year.
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2011 at 1:39pm
What type of riding do you like to do, park or groomers?

Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2011 at 5:26pm
Groomers but gonna venture my way into the park this season I think. I dont need much variety though like dont need 15 trails to ride just dont like a mountain that Im falling over people.
skeem247 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2011 at 7:04am
My bad, I was thinking the entire Northeast region instead of just the tri-state area.

NY - Hunter, Windham, and Belleayre (Belleayre being the cheapest and least crowded generally).  Whiteface if you're willing to go the distance but it's hit or miss.  When conditions are bad, it's "Iceface".

Jersey - Mountain Creek.

CT - ??
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2011 at 11:54am
Anybody been to any mountains in virginia? saw a couple on google maps wondering how they were.
Tommi_NJ View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 12:34pm
No one here mentioned Blue Mtn in PA. Has anyone been there?  What are your thoughts about the place?
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 2:35pm
Blue is a pretty good mix of trails and park. Its the most vert in the state and some of the better trails around in my opinion. Some of the negatives about the place are the crowds (worst I've seen at any mountain around here) and conditions tend to be bad whether it be from the high amount of traffic or from the groomers who don't know how to do their job and probably don't even ski or snowboard. Park is alright and great for all different levels but it could do better with a more professional staff working there.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2011 at 10:28am
Yeah im not a fan of crowds early morning at Mountain Creek is pretty good for that until about 12-1pm and then say goodbye to the lines. The quads arent bad but the tram thing looks like its a concert.
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2011 at 10:37am
Craigmere FTW! j/k is that place still open? It was rad.
JESSICRAZIE View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2011 at 6:46pm
I live in Staten Island, so Mountain Creek is the closest. Blue Mountain in PA isnt too far either, and is better than MC in my opinion. Not as crowded. But MC has the better park if thats the type of riding that you are into. 

I've also been to Camelback and Shawnee, which are also nice. I went to Killington last year in Vermont, which was amazing compared to the resorts around here. I'm hoping to go back to Vermont soon and check out some different resorts up there. 

But for my normal day or weekend trip, I go to Blue Mountain. Smile
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2011 at 4:19am
Sweet thanks yeah I lived in staten island for like 7-8 years now its central jersey. If blue has less crowds than mountain sounds good cuz mountain creek gets crazy after 1pm. I dont mind waking up early to get there early.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2011 at 5:10am
from staten island, Blue's not that much longer of a drive time wise. its just in the other direction i believe. two years ago it opened the weekend after Thanksgiving, so I'm hoping for another one of those this year!

if you check out any other nice mountains in the area, let me know. 
falcon02520 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2011 at 5:26am
Personally I avoid Jack Frost/Big Boulder. The trails are strait, icy, and boring. Blue Mountain is solid and Mountain Creek isn't the worst. I just picked up a season pass to Camelback for $200. I had a season pass there last year and it had some of the best riding conditions I've experienced in the area. It was open for longer than many other mountains, has a decent park and good groomers. For $200 you can go whenever and you can't beat the price. If this year is anything like last, I may never go to another PA mountain again.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2011 at 6:05am
That's awesome! I had a season pass to Creek last year and it was very over crowded. I was thinking about getting a season pass to Blue for this year, but its too expensive for me, especially when I like to switch up where I ride every once in a while. 

Camelback is a nice. I've only been there once so I didn't get to experience a lot of it. I'm most likely definitely going to try it out again this year, if not a few times. 
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2011 at 6:04am
Yeah blue and camel are on my hitlist this year for sure. Gonna have to make some trips. Haven't done a season pass yet prob wont till next year.
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2011 at 6:21am
jay peak, killington, wachusett
be talkin to ya
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2011 at 7:11am
Thatd be a really good list if it were tri state lol if only we had those kinda mountains in the tri-state.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2011 at 8:22am
I can't believe it's snowing in NYC right now...excited...but still can't believe it. I hope that this is a good sign for a great and early season opening!!!! 
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 11:27am
I know here in PA we got like 4-5 inches. This better be a sign of things to come. Just hope all those without power are doing ok.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 1:23pm
Purchased a season pass to mountain creek after seeing the snow. Anyone know if they ask for proof of age if you buy a youth season pass? Wink
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 4:58pm
haha not sure but if your like 16 u probably wouldnt have any ID anyways. We just need the temp to stay low now instead of being 50 everyday....
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 6:29pm
hahah! im not 100% sure, but I think that I might have had to show them my license last year when I bought mine. I don't fully remember. Ill ask my boyfriend tomorrow if he remembers any such thing. 

did you send your picture in over the website for your pass? I didnt do that, so that might have been why they needed photo ID. 

ill double check with my boyfriend though and get back to you. =) 

EDIT: 
as for the recent snow...my cousins in Connecticut have at least a foot, lost power- and the electric company told them not to expect power until at least wednesday. my mom said that her boss by the Meadowlands in Jersey got around 19 inches...sounds like an exaggeration to me, but who knows. 

bad news, the temperature is supposed to go up to 70-ish this week, which sucks! i want it to be colder and snowing every day. would love to be on the mountain in mid november this year... im trying to be optimistic. lol 
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 8:19pm
Mammoth Mountain is great, not only during boarding seasons but also during summer for hiking
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2011 at 2:53am
Originally posted by njironman6

haha not sure but if your like 16 u probably wouldnt have any ID anyways. We just need the temp to stay low now instead of being 50 everyday....

Yeah that's what I figured. I look like I'm 15 when I shave anyway; I even get carded occasionally to R rated movies even though I'm 23. 

Originally posted by JESSICRAZIE

hahah! im not 100% sure, but I think that I might have had to show them my license last year when I bought mine. I don't fully remember. Ill ask my boyfriend tomorrow if he remembers any such thing. 

did you send your picture in over the website for your pass? I didnt do that, so that might have been why they needed photo ID. 

ill double check with my boyfriend though and get back to you. =) 

EDIT: 
as for the recent snow...my cousins in Connecticut have at least a foot, lost power- and the electric company told them not to expect power until at least wednesday. my mom said that her boss by the Meadowlands in Jersey got around 19 inches...sounds like an exaggeration to me, but who knows. 

bad news, the temperature is supposed to go up to 70-ish this week, which sucks! i want it to be colder and snowing every day. would love to be on the mountain in mid november this year... im trying to be optimistic. lol 

I put the season under my brother's name who is 17 but uploaded a photo of myself. I guess I can always borrow my brother's learner's permit if they ever ask for it the first time I use it. My brother and I look very much alike so I don't think it's gonna be a problem; that's one of the advantages of being asian lol
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2011 at 5:48am
hahah oh you should be fine then. im 23 and could pass for 17-18 too, sadly im an only child and dont have anyones stuff to use. Unhappy let us know how it works out for you!!!
kyavo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2011 at 6:14am
what about ELK MT in pa?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2011 at 11:17am
Yeah good luck with that thats a big saving if you can get it. So crazy how much some of these season passes are its redicilous.
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2011 at 11:48am

Yeah good luck with that thats a big saving if you can get it. So crazy how much some of these season passes are its redicilous.

Yea its nuts how much passes are here compared to mountains out west. Not looking forward to dropping $600+ on a pass for blue soon.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2011 at 11:58am
Seriously considering the quality of the mountain, amount of trails, and average snowfall 600+ for a pa season pass is absolutely crazyyyy.
thedru13 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2011 at 12:05pm
Elk is nice. I like better than most PA mountains. Its less crowded. Blue gets super crowded and Camel is super icy usually. I goto blue alot cause its close and Wed night I can go after work and its cheap. But the weekends are rough just so busy. There new lift ticket system is cool its like an easy pass. But still lift lines can be long and trails are usually very crowded.

Give Elk a shot.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2011 at 12:53pm
I wish I had the money to lay out for the Blue season pass, but with Christmas and my boyfriend's(who likes very expensive presents) birthday right around the corner, its just not happening. I wish that it was around the same price as Mountain Creek's pass.  Over $600 is definitely high for that terrain and trails. 

I haven't been to Elk but I will definitely give it a try this year. I want to try and hit up every resort that is somewhat in the area. 

My boyfriends birthday is 11/30 and all he wants to do his snowboard for it...so whatever mountain opens first around that time is where ill be. I can't wait! Almost time to scrape my board and get everything together. 
Gno View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2011 at 1:08pm
BearCreek wants 620 for their pass! not a go,sucks since thats the closet resort to me and I usually go there after work. I may get an Offpeak pass for bc thru the club price.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2011 at 3:54pm
I know with the quality of these mountains its crazy what they charge it will be awhile til i get a season pass anywhere not gonna drive 2+ hours one way that many times a season to get a pass for 600+ Once im done with college well see how close I move to a mountain :)
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 12:25pm

I know with the quality of these mountains its crazy what they charge it will be awhile til i get a season pass anywhere not gonna drive 2+ hours one way that many times a season to get a pass for 600+ Once im done with college well see how close I move to a mountain :)

If your in college than take advantage of a college season pass thats half the price at certain mountains. You ride like 8 times and you'll be even.

hunterradboarder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 12:41pm
Camelback has a good deal until the end of the week a $199 limited season pass seems like a good deal m-f day and night, sat -sun 3pm to close ,espically when they charge 3 to close $39 for sat-sun.
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Nate042

If your in college than take advantage of a college season pass thats half the price at certain mountains. You ride like 8 times and you'll be even.

Originally posted by Hunterradboarder

Camelback has a good deal until the end of the week a $199 limited season pass seems like a good deal m-f day and night, sat -sun 3pm to close ,espically when they charge 3 to close $39 for sat-sun.

CBK has the same "College" Pass as hunter mentioned for the same price except you get sunday all day, just saturdays are limited.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 4:20pm

The only thing sucks about this is that I'm a student, and I'm 23. Most mountains college pass is for 22 and under. Well I shouldn't say most because I haven't looked into all of the mountains near by, but I definitely know that this applies to Blue Mountain.  Confused
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 8:10am

The only thing sucks about this is that I'm a student, and I'm 23. Most mountains college pass is for 22 and under. Well I shouldn't say most because I haven't looked into all of the mountains near by, but I definitely know that this applies to Blue Mountain.  Confused

Not JFBB, CBK, Shawnee and most others in this area. As long as you have a schedule or transcript with at least 12 credits of current courses and a college ID they couldn't care if you were a 40 year old doing their MBA. Some might hassle you on the proof of courses because they want an "official seal" or something in the header of the schedule.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Skio25

Not JFBB, CBK, Shawnee and most others in this area. As long as you have a schedule or transcript with at least 12 credits of current courses and a college ID they couldn't care if you were a 40 year old doing their MBA. Some might hassle you on the proof of courses because they want an "official seal" or something in the header of the schedule.

ahhh okay, good to know. thank you! as of right now, im only taking one class because i graduate in december and thats all i have left. maybe next year when i go for my masters i can do something like that, but i doubt ill be taking 12 credits again. 

do you know if JFBB and CBK have student discounts on regular priced lift tickets? i know Shawnee does, at least during the week. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>