Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vegas to Colorado
    Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 11:22am
This winter, my family and I will be driving to Colorado to visit family.  They live in Eirie so between Denver and Boulder.  The vacation is the trip, not the destination, and we are planning a week with multiple stops.  I've never been to Colorado so I'm looking for 2 spots for my and my 8 year old daughter to go boarding...1 on the way in and 1 on the way out.  It's gotta be kid friendly and not ridiculously priced for lift and lodging.  

The drive from Vegas is about 10 hours so we figured we would stop first in BrianHead Utah to board and stay overnight which is about 3 hours.  I'd like another spot maybe 2-4 hours out of Denver.  Then when we leave Denver, we would like another spot maybe 2-4 hours out of town.  

All suggestions welcome...we won't be going till after Christmas (when my daughter gets her new gear from us!)
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
killclimbz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 5:05am
Powderhorn would probably be a good choice for the kiddo.  It's on Grand Mesa so the setting is quite beautiful.  Not the most challenging of resorts, but it'll be plenty of fun for an 8yr old. 

Otherwise, I assume you'll be driving I70.  Aspen, Vail, Breck, Keystone, Copper, A-Basin, Loveland, Beaver Creek, are all spots you could hit on your way to/from Denver and are within the travel time you mentioned.
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 5:12am
I'd recommend either A-Basin or Loveland as they are both much cheaper than the other resorts along I-70.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 6:48am
In all I don't think I'd recommend A-Basin for an 8 year old.  Too crowded and too little terrain that would fit the bill for his child.  I mentioned it because it's there.

Loveland is fine for kids.  It also happens to be the closest decent sized ski area to Denver. 

CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 6:54am
Originally posted by killclimbz

In all I don't think I'd recommend A-Basin for an 8 year old.  Too crowded and too little terrain that would fit the bill for his child.  I mentioned it because it's there.

Loveland is fine for kids.  It also happens to be the closest decent sized ski area to Denver. 

I think A-Basin has terrain for smaller kids, and is less crowded than places like Breck and Keystone.  They don't have lodging on site though so that could be a problem.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 6:56am
Originally posted by letourneau41

I'd recommend either A-Basin or Loveland as they are both much cheaper than the other resorts along I-70.

Neither of these mountains are anything close to being good for kids....

If you are making a stop closer to the front range you have a few options that might be easier on the wallet. 

Keystone has a section tailored to kids called "Kidtopia" where there are lot of kid/family related events included with your ticket.

Winterpark is also a very family friendly resort.

I would avoid Vail, Breck, Abasin, Loveland & Copper mtn.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 6:58am
Originally posted by rzero

If you are making a stop closer to the front range you have a few options that might be easier on the wallet. 

Keystone has a section tailored to kids called "Kidtopia" where there are lot of kid/family related events included with your ticket.

Wow you really don't think Copper is a good kids resort?  I highly disagree with that assessment.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 7:03am
Originally posted by CoMtnRider

Originally posted by rzero

Wow you really don't think Copper is a good kids resort?  I highly disagree with that assessment.

Well, I say this because of the two (wp/cp) Winter Park is better for kids, Copper does have that whole otherside now that I think about it...we'll X copper from the no kid list
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 7:24am
I don't see how Loveland isn't good for kids either.  Pretty much all of chair six is fine for kids at that skill level.  The Valley is pretty much dedicated to beginners and is a separate area.  The run back down to the base is nothing harsh.  I've seen plenty of kids going down that over the years.  In all, it does not have as much terrain for the kids as the bigger guys mentioned.  In that respect you can knock it down a notch.  Still, plenty of kids cut their teeth at Loveland.

Vail and Breck, I'll leave it to you guys.  I don't remember either one being a bad place, maybe not as good as the above mentioned spots.

Winterpark could be mentioned, but it is a bit of a drive off of I70.  About 20 miles North on 40.  It does have a good kid area for sure. 
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 7:26am
Out of all the spots, Copper is probably the best.  The whole Western side of the mountain is a dedicated beginners area.  600 or more acres?  With it's own base.  No need to download to get back to the base.  Plus that area is naturally separated from those of more advanced skills.  You'll hardly find an intermediate riding there unless they are hanging out with a buddy who is learning. 
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 7:36am

Out of all the spots, Copper is probably the best.  The whole Western side of the mountain is a dedicated beginners area.  600 or more acres?  With it's own base.  No need to download to get back to the base.  Plus that area is naturally separated from those of more advanced skills.  You'll hardly find an intermediate riding there unless they are hanging out with a buddy who is learning. 

I always feel like a pro when I ride with my wife and kid on that side of the mtn.  Doing a 180 makes you god to most of the people on that side LOL
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 7:44am
Originally posted by CoMtnRider

I always feel like a pro when I ride with my wife and kid on that side of the mtn.  Doing a 180 makes you god to most of the people on that side LOL

That's how I get all my chicks
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 4:01pm
you guys rock!  
I'll look into powderhorn, winterpark, keystone and copper.  
out of those, which ones have lodging, are on or near i-70 and is the FURTHEST from Denver?

'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 4:13pm
Copper is further WEST from Denver, and is right off I-70, and also has lodging on the premises.  Hope that helps.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 5:04am
Powderhorn would be the furthest West of Denver, by a long shot.  I am not sure what the lodging options are around the ski area.  I believe there are some.  It's probably 20 minutes or so, south of I70 just out of Palisade.  You could also stay in Palisade as an option.

CoMtnRider, you've been hanging out in Denver too much this summer evidently.  Copper is right off of I70.  It's the furthest West in Summit county but closer than Vail. Super easy to find and it is right next to the highway.  It does have a village and plenty of places to stay right at the resort.

Winterpark also has about the same options, but it's about 20 miles north of I70 on the other side of Berthoud pass.

Keystone is around 9 miles south of I70 and is just off of the Loveland Pass road which rejoins I70 on the other side of the Eisenhower tunnel.  So it's a slight detour at worst. 

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 5:08am

Powderhorn would be the furthest West of Denver, by a long shot.  I am not sure what the lodging options are around the ski area.  I believe there are some.  It's probably 20 minutes or so, south of I70 just out of Palisade.  You could also stay in Palisade as an option.

CoMtnRider, you've been hanging out in Denver too much this summer evidently.  Copper is right off of I70.  It's the furthest West in Summit county but closer than Vail. Super easy to find and it is right next to the highway.  It does have a village and plenty of places to stay right at the resort.

Winterpark also has about the same options, but it's about 20 miles north of I70 on the other side of Berthoud pass.

Keystone is around 9 miles south of I70 and is just off of the Loveland Pass road which rejoins I70 on the other side of the Eisenhower tunnel.  So it's a slight detour at worst. 

I wasn't sure about Powderhorn never even heard of it to be honest, and I didn't include Vail in the furthest west conversation since we weren't really suggesting that as a place for kids.  Copper was the furthest West and closest to I-70 with lodging, that's why I mentioned it.

EDIT:  Just noticed I said off I-25 in my original post, typo my bad LOL
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 5:21am
http://www.powderhorn.com/

I believe the Gart family just bought it from the previous owners.  It is definitely not as nice as Copper, Keystone, Winterpark, Vail, etc.  Still, I've had a few friends hit it up and have a pretty good time there.  The setting on Grand Mesa is pretty stellar.  It is also a good choice for kiddo's, not very crowded, and plenty to challenge them, with no crowds.  So that is why I dropped it as a recommendation.  The sidecountry out of the area is supposed to be pretty good.  You basically cruise along the top of the Grand Mesa and pick a spot you want to drop in outside of the ski area.  It does have it's dangers of course.  The owner of Loki gear got jacked up back there in an avalanche last year or the year before. 
md548 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 5:37am
I think vail is the best personally, i've skied at breck and keystone as a beginner and found vail had the most runs to be able to move from easy greens to slighter harder ones. Plus, I worked there and on the green hills and we were always doing out best for the beginners. I think lift passes for the day were around the $90 mark and obviously the more days you spend is the cheaper it will be. Their website offers a few sweet deals
http://www.vail.com/plan-your-trip/vacation-deals-and-packages/offer-explorer.aspx ..but I'm probably being biased but the mountain is sick and I spent the majority of my winter boarding there and I loved it...i'm sure any advice given from everyone else is spot on..
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 5:40am
I'll agree Vail is a great mountain for all ages and skill levels but if you don't get a deal of the internet Vail ticket prices at the window are usually pretty prices $10-$15 more per person per day than at Breck or Keystone. You can get even cheaper by going to A-Basin or Loveland. Copper I'll agree is a great mountain, probably my favorite. It's in the same price range as Breck and Keystone are.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 6:41am

Looks like Powderhorn is 5 hours out of denver and 5 hours away from BrianHead Utah, so I think that' puts us right where we wanna be. 

This is the plan:
Leave Vegas and drive 3-4 hours to Brianhead, utah.  Board all day, sleep there that night.
Leave brianhead and drive to the 4-5 hours to the closest resort in CO (looks like powderhorn).  Board all day and sleep that night. 
Leave that resort and drive 4-5 hours to erie co, which is between denver and boulder. 

OR, when we leave brian head we could drive 8-9 hours to Copper then sleep there.  Wake up and go boarding, then leave after boarding and drive 2-3 hours to denver. 

I'd rather drive/board/sleep then sleep/board/drive but my wife will not be driving, so she could do a 2 hour drive after I board all day, as long as the roads aren't bad. 
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 6:49am
Originally posted by md548

I think vail is the best personally, i've skied at breck and keystone as a beginner and found vail had the most runs to be able to move from easy greens to slighter harder ones. 

IMHO, Vail is quite possibly the most over-rated mountain in Colorado and way too hyped. Travel a little farther west and go to Beaver Creek.

I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 7:56am
There is one advantage over hitting Copper vs Powderhorn.  You'll have already driven over Vail Pass, just leaving you with the Eisenhower tunnel for a major pass to get over.  Neither of the passes are horrible, but with snow it can be slow going.  Vail Pass is also very prone to icing over in comparison to the rest of the drive.  If you're comfortable driving in snowy-icy conditions, then I wouldn't worry about it.  It'll be no big deal.  If it's something you would rather minimize, I'd go to Copper.  That should put you just over two hours out to Eire.  Maybe 2 1/2 hours from Copper? 
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2011 at 11:35am
I always assumed veil was more of a ski spot, but I don't know how I'm going to justify driving to co and not going to Breckenridge!  I've seen so many awesome video spots there...
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2011 at 11:40am

Powderhorn would probably be a good choice for the kiddo.  It's on Grand Mesa so the setting is quite beautiful.  Not the most challenging of resorts, but it'll be plenty of fun for an 8yr old. 

Otherwise, I assume you'll be driving I70.  Aspen, Vail, Breck, Keystone, Copper, A-Basin, Loveland, Beaver Creek, are all spots you could hit on your way to/from Denver and are within the travel time you mentioned.

YES!!! POWDERHORN!!  It's a great little mt!  It is where I went my 1st 3 times riding in CO..there R some sweet tree runs there!!!
Loveland is really easy to get to.. since it's right on I-70.  the 8 Chair zone is super fun!

I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
Monteno1@hotmail.com View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2011 at 11:54am
I'm going to have to vote for Breck. I brought my sister there last season who has never been on skies before, and is not at all to be considered athletic, or even coordinated, and there was ample green terrain for her to learn on. The green runs on Peak 9 (if I remember right) are easier than the runs on Peak 8, so its a good transition before blues. Also, if you avoid the weekends, the crowd is actually quite small. Vail is mice but seemed to be a bit ritzy and ski oriented for my tastes. Also the town of Breckenridge is pretty cozy and is a nice place to hang out for those not skiing. Just my opinions here, but I think no matter where you go, if you're on a board, and with your family, you'll have a great time! Good luck!
I'm just sayin'....
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2011 at 3:24pm
Bad news.
To work out with the kids' school we were going to leave the day after christmas.  The way we had it planned we would be heading back and need to stay overnight in or near brianhead on new years eve, and it's going to be way to pricey to do that.  

Unless the kids have another week off from school later on, looks like this winter trip will just be 3 days in brianhead Cry

NickinChicago View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Halloween

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2011 at 7:33pm
Before you cancel cause Brian Head would be to much on NYE I would look around for some lodging deals there. We used to go to Brian Head all the time and always found great deals through craigslist. Most of the time we paid way less for lodging when renting a condo from an owner than we would have through a hotel or company. 

Don't give up yet. And if you can't get it to work just remember 3 days riding in Brian Head is better than none in the desert.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2011 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by NickinChicago

Don't give up yet. And if you can't get it to work just remember 3 days riding in Brian Head is better than none in the desert.
LOL!  Thanks bro.  We actually found a great little condo on site and it makes more sense for this trip (my daughter's first real trip) to go someplace we know for a few more days then having to many firsts in one trip.  And we actually do have a hill here in the desert, Lee Canyon.  It's less then an hour outside of Vegas, but super small.  Only 2 real lifts.  Ouch
NickinChicago View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Halloween

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by MrMeaty

Originally posted by NickinChicago

LOL!  Thanks bro.  We actually found a great little condo on site and it makes more sense for this trip (my daughter's first real trip) to go someplace we know for a few more days then having to many firsts in one trip.  And we actually do have a hill here in the desert, Lee Canyon.  It's less then an hour outside of Vegas, but super small.  Only 2 real lifts.  Ouch

Ha I went to the place by Vegas a few times when I lived out there. Definitely not the greatest place in the world but it is better than nothing. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing what they do with the place over the next few years. I guess they are expanding it and replacing those old ass lifts they have.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2011 at 4:20pm
Yup!  Plans for 7 new lifts, expanding up the mountain...lots of new stuff.
But for this year all they got done was new snowmaking and improvements to the lodge.  Gonna take years to finish, but hey, it's a start!

MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2011 at 9:49am
Looks like Colorado is a no go this year.  This being our second out of town snow trip, we are going to try to keep it a little closer to home, so we are looking now at southern utah, northern utah, souther cali and northern cali.  My wife also does not want to be out of town on new years day, so we are making it a 4 day trip, which is not enough time for colorado.
But thanks for all your help, guys.  You're awesome!

Post Reply Post Reply