Captain's Log 2012 (AKA Rider's Log)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 18>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Captain's Log 2012 (AKA Rider's Log)
    Posted: Oct/01/2011 at 10:10am
for anyone that still doesn't get it, this is where you keep a little public log of your days for others to check out.

pictures/video are strongly encouraged, but simple write ups are just dandy too.  where did you ride?  what board?  conditions?  what did you do?

figure i can post it here and kick it off for the year even though there's no riding yet.  i started my 2012 folder with these, took 'em before going inside to work this morning.  snow is down to about 2500 feet here, roughly.  also have heard from a few people that it's been snowing here and there on top of eaglecrest (peak is 2600') but not sticking.

shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2011 at 11:03am
Here is to healthy year for everyone...look forward to seeing your logs Spenser and getting some vids in here this year...bought my buddy a go pro this year :)
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2011 at 11:05am
i can't wait to show you all my logs.

getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2011 at 4:13pm
Looking forward to putting up some videos!  Loved last year's captain's log.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2011 at 7:36am
Where where these taken?  Are you in AK or Washington? 
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2011 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by not-ewrx

Where where these taken?  Are you in AK or Washington? 

He is in Juneau, AK
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2011 at 6:20pm
"healthy year"

+1
dance like no one's watching
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2011 at 5:19am
This was a great thread last year, can't wait to see some early action this year.  Makes me insanely jealous, but I still like it Wink
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2011 at 5:23am
Spenser can you actually board those mountains in the lower picture (without a chopper or skidoo)?

Also I just had to convert the feet to meters and then figured out that the snow is coming down pretty low up in Alaska already. We had some snow at my favorite local mountain maybe two weeks ago (the peak's at 8500 feet), but it has since melted, which makes me sad. Let's keep fingers crossed it'll get better soon!!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2011 at 11:33am
if you wanted to hike up there through snow, yeah, but it's not a simple hike.  for the most part if people ride there it's only from a heli.  there's not much of a way to get a sled there, even to the base, but it could be done.  it's also way steeper than it looks, as per usual for photos.

most people don't heli there though.  i'm assuming it's cause there are better spots for heli in terms of terrain, drop off zones, and pick up zones.  you can fly in any direction and be over good mountains at every moment so there's almost too much to choose from.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2011 at 11:35am
Hey spenser,  what is up with your avatar?  It's busted or something. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2011 at 11:36am
it's there by choice to match my black soul
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2011 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by spenser

it's there by choice to match my black soul

I liked the old one of the pole-cam powder shot...That I confused for a rooster for months until I clicked the expanded size.
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2011 at 12:39pm
Can't wait for this season to start. Thought we were getting close two weeks ago here in Utah for the peaks to start getting snow, but somehow its warmed up back to early September temps. Angry
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2011 at 7:53pm
This is vid of me heading down the mountain after about 4 hours of jibbing and hiking.  I found the bamboo on the way up.  Utah pre season is so much fun.  Sorry it's not full of bangers.  I was too busy boarding all day to make a legit vid.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2011 at 3:14pm
hiked up eaglecrest today with jeremy and aly.  was snowing about half way up and then picked up, and when we came down it was top to bottom.  snowing just below 1200 feet, YES!

and a screenshot, caught in the act again! bahah

panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2011 at 4:42pm
^^^ hows the knee doing?  it looks like you're at least hiking on it pretty well.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2011 at 4:46pm
it's great for everything i've done from skating, biking, hiking, and more.  just haven't been snowboarding on it yet.

the ligament has been healed for months now, that doesn't take too long, but i lost all that muscle and just hadn't bent it much for a long time, so i had to break it back in and am still building the muscles back up.  before the bad leg thigh was 2" smaller around, now it's an inch or less.  still work to do but i'm hiking whenever i can and using a bowflex usually every other day at least.  it feels strong enough but it still needs more to get back on par with my right leg.

stability was never an issue except during the first week or two when it was still really tender.  it's gonna be a good knee like before, just have to keep working it out.

i am nervous though, just cause.  not that i think it'll get hurt, just.. nervous to see how it feels, you know?
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2011 at 4:56pm
yeah, i know what you mean.  if it feels good doing other stuff, you should be fine.  i tore my MCL 1.5 years ago on the last day of the season, and it took about 6 months to fully recover (it was a grade 2.5 tear, so not complete separation, but pretty close).  I was fine going running and skating and stuff, but i was super worried i would get out on the snow and it would kill, but it never did.  it feels 100% back to normal and did all last season.

i know what you mean about getting it back in shape, i had problems with my other knee, because i put so much strain on it while the torn one was healing.  
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2011 at 5:02pm
that makes me feel good about it.  not sure what grade i would get for what it was, but yeah mine was a partial tear off the bone too.  i also fractured the top outer corner of my tibia, just hairline and the piece that broke didn't move.  that was where most my swelling and inner bleeding came from i think.

anyway, i think i'll be fine.  just gotta keep in shape!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2011 at 6:26pm
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2011 at 6:33pm

You kill me every time man. You with your awesome state and all. Haha...
No but that's rad and all. Looks like a perfectly FINE way to spend an afternoon.

Question though, it says "new camera test". What camera were you using?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2011 at 6:38pm
got a new powershot, SD4500.  does full HD, 10x optical zoom, and you can zoom optically while filming like a real video camera.  the autofocus can be kind of slow when things are changing though, but oh well.
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2011 at 6:42pm

got a new powershot, SD4500.  does full HD, 10x optical zoom, and you can zoom optically while filming like a real video camera.  the autofocus can be kind of slow when things are changing though, but oh well.

Wow, just googled that thing. Nice. Much more compact than I thought it would be, and from the vid posted, much better quality as well. If the auto focus issue is the only thing "wrong" with it....not bad. Not bad at all.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2011 at 6:54pm
yeah, it's not too bad, it's just slower than i'd like.  should be fine though and i bet i can figure out how to make it "work better" for me somehow
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 5:23pm
weeeeeee

day 1, hiked eaglecrest with two buds.  minimal snow but it was a blast, stormy weather blowing sideways, and the best part is that my knee felt totally normal while riding.  sooo relieved.  i didn't think it was gonna have a problem but i've been paranoid since i hadn't ridden yet.  stress gone!

jeremy hiking up

max doing the same

myself and charlie

jeremy and me

screenshot of jeremy.......... bahah

and screenshot of max, stoked after the first run of the season

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2011 at 3:27pm
randoms

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 8:06pm
day 2, 2010 charlie. shred pow. core shots. wallride on buildings. sending it into the unknown.

hiked eaglecrest again, with ryan (multicolor jacket) and sam (black jacket) and found phil and jesse up there after a little session went down on the wallride..

today was the day the switch was flipped and we woke up to our first sea level snow.. full blown winter conditions, and it was even more so up on the mountain.  blizzard!  waist deep in spots!  great snow too.

video should be finished uploading in about 2 hours.

me and my ultimate sag.  obviously, no, i don't really do such things.

blizzard!

screenshot of phil watching sam stomp the first blind hit

screenshot of sam, back 3 (he's regular) on the annual preseason side hit that's mega when there's not much snow

screenshot of phil testing it (he's goofy)

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 10:08pm
bam.  first full HD shredit using both my cameras.. pretty damn stoked to get this thing some good use this year, i'm quite impressed with the new powershot's filming capabilities.

you can't go fullscreen from embedding here, so click here if you want full screen HD

whoisjohnlamb View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote whoisjohnlamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 9:32am
I lurked around here a lot last season, not posting much.  But that will chance this year! Day 1 to come end of this month? let us pray.

I always made sure I watched your most recent vids though spense, they are always entertaining. 
this makes me mad
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 6:57pm
every year i find myself coming back to look at your videos spenser.  love em
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 7:01pm
thank you!  i wish more people would post their own...
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 7:04pm
Ahhhh... shweet video spenser. Thats some great riding for November 4th. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 7:07pm
hell yeah, and thank you, good storm passed through at a good time.  going up tomorrow for my 3rd day..

friends went up today while i had to work, got a break in the weather and they had some sun or at least brightness through the clouds.  it hasn't snowed too much more since yesterday but we're going to try out a couple different zones
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 11:06pm
LOL, not gonna lie, all these years I thought this Captain's Log was for your adventures only. I used to keep a log of my days on a site that is no longer around, maybe I'll join you here this year?! Anyways, keep the vids/pictures coming, they are always fun to watch. 
Its not fun unless its sketchy
B1-5G View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote B1-5G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 4:39am
Went to Wolf Creek yesterday during the storm. It was awesome. The drive sucked but by the time you got off the lift to do the same run your track was almost gone. It was fun just shooting off head walls and landing into powder. Visibility was kinda iffy but not too bad. It wasn't even that cold. Facemask helped a lot though. Hit my first rail as well, such an awesome feeling! 

kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 5:13am
^^nice, more scenic picture would be nice. glad someone can get to start enjoying their season already 
ktown View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ktown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 5:23am

bam.  first full HD shredit using both my cameras.. pretty damn stoked to get this thing some good use this year, i'm quite impressed with the new powershot's filming capabilities.

you can't go fullscreen from embedding here, so click here if you want full screen HD

when l watched this, it looked as if the snow wasnt that thick, until you feel down. and whats up with the guy posting on YOUR log.
B1-5G View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote B1-5G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 7:10am
Originally posted by kel

^^nice, more scenic picture would be nice. glad someone can get to start enjoying their season already 

Battery ran out on the GoPro... This is all I could scavenge in the 3 videos it filmed...
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 7:58am

Man two weeks from now cannot come soon enough.

Where did you get that grey balaclava?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 8:18am
it's an airblaster pterryclava, they have grey again this year but that one's from last year.
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 8:36am
few things in this world are a better start to the day, than a warm terryclava on a powder day. 
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 9:26am

I'm sure a few of us in the sosocal will get some videos up once we get up the mtn.
Did you google it?
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 10:06am
that blizzard vid is legit stoke

I probably won't be posting as much this year because my pics are getting a bit repetitious: chair shots, deep pow, giant redwoods...repeat.  Maybe I'll just start posting "Day _ - You had to be there to understand."
lotechpeter View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote lotechpeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Piranha

that blizzard vid is legit stokeI probably won't be posting as much this year because my pics are getting a bit repetitious: chair shots, deep pow, giant redwoods...repeat.  Maybe I'll just start posting "Day _ - You had to be there to understand."

looks like china peak is getting some snow, I wonder when they are opening
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 11:35am

I will be posting some this year...i bought my buddy a gopro this year.

THanks for the tip on the clava.
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 11:54am
yea, mt high just opened and hopefully bear and snow summit open next week. so we should get some entries in soon. Weather pending im going to "hike" next week.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 12:19pm
Went up to Mt High today.  It snowed while I was there, but because of that visibility was really bad.  I had my gopro with me, but I didn't bother taking it out since I couldn't see anything.

I had to call it quits after 2hrs since I killed off circulation to my feet due to cold and tightening my boots. 

I will hopefully have footage next week when I go up to Mammoth Big smile

....but it'll prob be just footage of riding around...no fancy tricks or anything...
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 1:57pm
day 3, wet and heavier, not that amazing but it was still fun to get out.

totally insane tricks went down.....

max

jake and max almost to the top

namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 2:52pm
man i'm jealous. look at all that snow!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>