Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New iPhone 4S
    Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 9:46am

New phone just dropped. iPhone 4S. Form factor is about the same.

Processor - A5. Dual Core, 1 Ghz. 2x as fast CPU, and 7x as fast graphic display. This has to be seen to actually be seen.

Battery - 8 hours of talk time on 3g, 14 hours of talk time on EDGE, 10 hours of music, 40 hours of video. 

Antennae - has been redesigned to switch between two, thus making theoretical download speeds twice as fast. Thats 14.4 mbps as opposed to the 7.2 on the iphone 4. Also, 4S is now a true world phone, GSM as well as CDMA. That means you get 4G speeds for the cost of a 3G antennae, without the heavy drainage on the battery life. 

Camera - New 8 MP sensor. Not to be confused with an 8 MP camera, like your traditional point and shoot. An 8 MP sensor means a world of a difference, this packs 60% more pixels than the previous camera, and has a resolution of 3264 x 2448. That means its shooting 1080p, and shooting it very well. 5 layer lens increases white balance by 25%, 30% more sharpness, and aperture gets down to 2.4. 2.4! For comparison, my best professional dSLR lens gets down to 1.8! 2.4 in a phone is ridiculous. The new camera shoots 3x faster than a Droid Bionic.

iMessages - Apples answer to BBM, send free texts to any iOS device, ipod, iphone, desktop, or ipad. Take that ATT.

Voice Assistant - Called Siri. Easily the most comprehensive voice control I've ever seen, not just on a phone, but on any electronic device. You can speak into your phone and pretty much ask it anything. 'Find me a good mexican restaurant in the area'. 'Do I need a raincoat today?' 'Define mitosis'. 'Wake me up tomorrow at 9:30 am'. 'Remind me to call my wife for her birthday.' Has to be seen to be realized. Looks like something out of minority report, or Jarvis from Iron Man.

Price - iPhone 3GS is now free. iPhone 4 is now $100. iPhone 4S is 200, 300, 400, for 16gb, 32gb, and 64gb, respectively. Available October 14, pre-orders start October 7.

tworunningcards View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 9:48am
Looks like I'll be getting a new phone for work...
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 9:49am
i'll pass for now...only thing I like is the better camera but i'd rather have a nice hd camera instead of the phone
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 9:52am
Looks good, I especially like iMessages and the voice control. 
shredhead16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 9:58am
Now I can't wait until my contract is over!
you can win awesome prizes, just click the link below!
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 10:10am
don't be suckered...this is just a "band aid" for what are obviously major delays in their iphone5 HW.  i certainly give apple credit for turning a major engineering disaster/delay into an opportunity to sell yet one more product to their brainwashed legions, but use some common sense unless you just love donating your hard earned money to the church of apple! Clap
be talkin to ya
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 10:21am
Originally posted by wpiass

don't be suckered...this is just a "band aid" for what are obviously major delays in their iphone5 HW.  i certainly give apple credit for turning a major engineering disaster/delay into an opportunity to sell yet one more product to their brainwashed legions, but use some common sense unless you just love donating your hard earned money to the church of apple! Clap

Furthermore, if history has taught us anything, then it is that the initial release of any hot, rushed, consumer product such as those from Apple, will be full of bugs and major issues.

Be smart and wait out the initial hype to get a good product.
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 10:30am
Originally posted by wpiass

+1.  new features are nice, but this is by no means worth an upgrade for most people.  yet it will be and will generate tons of revenue for apple.  well played from a financial point of view for them.  but as far as innovation...not so much.
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 10:33am
only the camera feature is attractive, and l believe the ichat and what not is from ios5, avaliable to everyone
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 10:36am
Actually, I just remembered the scam Apple pulled on the folks with the 3 when the 4 came out.  They upgraded EVERYONE's SW to be compatible with the 3GS/4 and broke all the 3s knowingly and without a care to force an upgrade.

I think I will seriously consider a class-action lawsuit if they pull this again. Angry
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 10:38am
Originally posted by carebear

Actually, I just remembered the scam Apple pulled on the folks with the 3 when the 4 came out.  They upgraded EVERYONE's SW to be compatible with the 3GS/4 and broke all the 3s knowingly and without a care to force an upgrade.

I think I will seriously consider a class-action lawsuit if they pull this again. Angry

what is sw? l dont rmb ever hearing of this issue, but l'm not really on top of it anymore
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 10:38am

You literally have no idea what you're talking about. 
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 10:40am
Originally posted by keljai

what is sw? l dont rmb ever hearing of this issue, but l'm not really on top of it anymore

software.  when ios4 came out, 3gs and 4 worked, but iphone 3g was stuck with the old crappy software.  but its really the firmware and OS, not the software.
Silent311 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 11:05am
I have noticed my iphone 4 acting up a lot...and not working like it did with out the update and all the software I have... will this fix it... maybe make it faster...YES... but now I have to think...did apples updates just simply slow me down...and the new version is the pickmeup.
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 11:19am
My 3GS is so old and cracked around the edges.  As much as I wanted the 5, I will settle for the 4S.  Definitely an upgrade from the 3GS.

I do hate that every software update seems to make old phones work even slower.  It's Apples way to entice people to upgrade.
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 11:29am
Originally posted by panther

software.  when ios4 came out, 3gs and 4 worked, but iphone 3g was stuck with the old crappy software.  but its really the firmware and OS, not the software.
I thought 3G was basically forced to upgrade to new firmware / OS and it basically broke the phone to the point of being unusable.  I think they got BETTER with later iterations of iOS 4, but I heard so many issues I just didn't upgrade my firmware on my 3G.

I'm on the fence between waiting out the 5 and going 4G.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
odoyale rules View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 11:32am
The release was definitely not what I expected. I didn't plan on buying one anyways so it doesn't really matter in the end for me
18 days and counting

I make custom diecuts (stickers). PM me for info
dangerzone9k View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 11:32am
No one cares for the iphone 4s. I looks the exact same. They should've redesigned it! Time to get a droid!
woohoo123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 12:08pm
hmm so i wonder how much longer it will be until the 5 comes out, i was waiting on the 5 since my evo's battery is horrendous.  but i dont think i want to get a 4s if its same as 4
WOOHOO
fini View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vorsprung durch Technik

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 12:14pm
Iphone has not been innovative since the release of the original 2G. they just rode the marketing wave and collected all the iSheep along the way.  Seriously, it took them over a year to come up with this?  What a let down to all the hype they've been trying to generate.  Even Blackberries took a bigger leap.
shing02 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 12:18pm
^indeed, 16 months for nothing. i don't think this is even worth upgrading to...hell, it looks like pretty much the same phone!
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 12:20pm
Steve Jobs leaving may be the official end of Apple innovation.  Who's the next big player?
bugsbunnymydad View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by fini

Iphone has not been innovative since the release of the original 2G. they just rode the marketing wave and collected all the iSheep along the way.  Seriously, it took them over a year to come up with this?  What a let down to all the hype they've been trying to generate.  Even Blackberries took a bigger leap.

I wouldn't go that far. The retina display of the IP4 was quite a technological leap. There wasn't a phone released at the time with that sort of display. Even today, it's still arguably the best looking display. 960x640 on a 3.5 in display while keeping the battery drain low is quite the feat in engineering. The next best display is probably be samsung's 800x480 super amoled display which is on a 4.3 in screen.

As for the IP4s... pretty tame phone. I'm surprised this is what they came up with after ~15 months. When we heard they couldn't make the 1 year redesign deadline, I think most people were expecting a giant upgrade. I'm disappointed and won't be upgrading... my contract doesn't end until the summer of 12 anyway.

However, I will agree with giftedhands and say the camera does look pretty awesome. Just the f/2.4 is impressive. Obviously, how fast the lens is doesn't determine image quality... you gotta look at the sensor and lens and all that... but still, f/2.4 is impressive for a phone camera. Obviously, it isn't going to replace my DSLR or even my P&S(Canon S95) but it'll take decent pics when I don't have either on me.
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by giftedhands

Antennae - has been redesigned to switch between two, thus making theoretical download speeds twice as fast. Thats 14.4 mbps as opposed to the 7.2 on the iphone 4. Also, 4S is now a true world phone, GSM as well as CDMA. That means you get 4G speeds for the cost of a 3G antennae, without the heavy drainage on the battery life. 

This isn't possible for CDMA/Verizon.  4G = LTE.  This phone doesn't have a LTE chip in it.  You can't design an antenna to get higher speeds.  But, you can design an antenna to be more efficient. As far as GSM/AT&T, well maybe they have HSDPA+ or some other high data rate technology.  Nice marketing.

Did you google it?
NickinChicago View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Halloween

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 12:36pm
So Gifted, my wife needs a new phone in a week or two and was going to get the 4. If she gets the 4s and I have the 4 will we be able to talk with this new imessages thing? Or do we both need the 4s?
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 12:42pm
this will fit nicely into the irack.

ASMRides View Drop Down
Local
Local
Waxin yo

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by NickinChicago

So Gifted, my wife needs a new phone in a week or two and was going to get the 4. If she gets the 4s and I have the 4 will we be able to talk with this new imessages thing? Or do we both need the 4s?

Pretty sure you won't be able to talk to her through the iMessage yet....

Once the IOS5 is available for DL in iTunes (System update) though you'll be able to I think.
My friend and I have the 4 and he was showing me that and said we just have to wait for it to be available.

Correct me if I'm wrong?
stevo05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by ASMRides

Originally posted by NickinChicago

Pretty sure you won't be able to talk to her through the iMessage yet....

Once the IOS5 is available for DL in iTunes (System update) though you'll be able to I think.
My friend and I have the 4 and he was showing me that and said we just have to wait for it to be available.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Yes, I believe iOS5 will be released on October 12. 
Funinc158 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 12:51pm
Let me start out with this. I am in no way an Apple fanboy, my main computer is a Windows. I was really hoping for an iPhone 5 to replace my 1st gen iPhone....

The iPhone 5 does exist. I just don't think Apple is wants to release it yet or theres probably some major setbacks. The iPhone 5 has shown up in Sprint, Radio Shack, ATT, and Verizon's inventory systems clearly stating the new features like 4 in. screen and 4G internet speeds. There are photos of Cinnciatti Bell's and ATT's inventory computers clearly listing iPhone 5s at both the 16GB and 32GB capacities. There are also some iPhone 5 cases floating around AT&T stores, I saw one myself this weekend and it is a lot wider than an iPhone 4 case.

Its very possible that the patent war between Apple and Samsung is what is holding back the iPhone 5, some news articles have already said that Samsung has moved to block the release of the iPhone 5. There are also articles stating that there is a manufacturing problem with the new screen.
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by RideTimeless

This isn't possible for CDMA/Verizon.  4G = LTE.  This phone doesn't have a LTE chip in it.  You can't design an antenna to get higher speeds.  But, you can design an antenna to be more efficient. As far as GSM/AT&T, well maybe they have HSDPA+ or some other high data rate technology.  Nice marketing.

Well thats the funny thing about it. Many manufacturers, advertise 14.4 as '4G' speeds, when as you pointed out, aren't technically true 4G. 14.4 is the speed of the Motorola Atrix 4G, or the HTC Inspire 4G. And Apple isn't calling it a 4G phone, I did, bc in comparison to the other '4g' phones out there, the iphone 4S is accomplishing the same speeds. There are very very few true 4g phones out there right now in the American market. But 14.4 on this phone, is particularly impressive to me, bc the battery life is far better. In regards to the antenna, having multiple simultaneous antennaes transmit and receive, has indeed made the phone more efficient, and also doubled its theoretical speed. Thats not just my opinion.. 
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 12:55pm
Really bc they didn't change the outside shell, you don't like it? Wow time to pull out my laptop from 2007, it still looks pretty much the same. So it doesn't matter. I wasn't planning on getting the 5 but the 4s is tempting me. Still don't think i will but i will probably talk my dad in to getting the 4s over his 3Gs. 
NickinChicago View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Halloween

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 12:58pm
I'm thinking I will just give my wife the 4 and I will use her upgrade to get the 4s. She most likely won't know how to use 99% of the features of either of them anyways.
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by CO_champagne

Steve Jobs leaving may be the official end of Apple innovation.  Who's the next big player?

Considering that the actual designer of the iphone.. and well, the imac, ipad, macbook pro and macbook air.. is Jony Ive and not Steve Jobs.. I'd say the next big player is still the same big player. 
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 1:10pm
Thank god. I can finally get rid of my crappy 3G and get a decent phone. I'll be ordering it on the 7th.
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 1:47pm
so who can i buy a regular iphone 4 cdma from?
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 1:51pm
^^i've seen them on CL for $350.
Did you google it?
RomeCommunity View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 1:54pm
This is a snowboarding website. Not an Apple website
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 2:02pm

Originally posted by RideTimeless

Well thats the funny thing about it. Many manufacturers, advertise 14.4 as '4G' speeds, when as you pointed out, aren't technically true 4G. 14.4 is the speed of the Motorola Atrix 4G, or the HTC Inspire 4G. And Apple isn't calling it a 4G phone, I did, bc in comparison to the other '4g' phones out there, the iphone 4S is accomplishing the same speeds. There are very very few true 4g phones out there right now in the American market. But 14.4 on this phone, is particularly impressive to me, bc the battery life is far better. In regards to the antenna, having multiple simultaneous antennaes transmit and receive, has indeed made the phone more efficient, and also doubled its theoretical speed. Thats not just my opinion.. 

I could understand these making the phone capable of higher speeds and decrease power consumption.  Basically receive diversity antennas among others.  But, not one antenna design would accomplish the 14.4 speed.  That's where I misunderstood.

Did you google it?
kirkalicious View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 2:08pm
Question is, how much are we going to have to pay?
Monteno1@hotmail.com View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 2:56pm
The artificial intelligence on the new Iphone is intriguing, but I'd really have to see it perform in real life. I saw a clip on the news, and the guy said something like "Should I bring an umbrella today?" and the phone knew he was talking about weather, looked up the weather for his area, related the phrase about the umbrella to chance of rain, and then answered his question, which is awesome. But we all know that at the press conference to show off the phone, they know the exact way to phrase things so the phone  will understand. I'm curious to see how the ai will do in every day situations.

I'm also curious to see how long until Android phones do the exact same thing, but a little better and a little cheaper... Within a year? What do you guys think?
I'm just sayin'....
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 3:05pm
Can't wait!  My 3GS is barely able to do the simplest tasks anymore.
lettuce View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
lol

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by getkong

Can't wait!  My 3GS is barely able to do the simplest tasks anymore.

I hear ya buddy, my 3gs is so slow, it takes a few seconds to open any app.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by panther

but the firmware and os is software..

do you mean they made the firmware compatible for the older versions?
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 3:29pm
Siri

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 3:41pm
^^^Very cool.  Although it's been done before on mobile devices.  I think Nokia did this awhile back...when they actually made mobile phones that people wanted.

Also seen Microsoft try to integrate voice commands in cars to further enhance the "hands free" law.  Obviously, that didn't get much traction.

I hope Apple has the feature well tested.
Did you google it?
ktown View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 3:54pm
um no l dont think it works the same as nokia one was although l dont think it will actually work that well if you ask me 
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by ktown

um no l dont think it works the same as nokia one was although l dont think it will actually work that well if you ask me 

I don't expect it to work the same.  I expect Apple to be perfect.  Just like what everybody else wants Apple to be.
Did you google it?
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 4:01pm
@ Ride - Yah, the idea itself isn't new, but I haven't seen it implemented this way at all. I'm also a big fan of wolframalpha, so I'm excited to see this on my handheld. 

Scott Forstall using Siri in real time. 

rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 4:13pm
yeah the idea has been implemented before, but it was a failure 
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2011 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by RomeCommunity

This is a snowboarding website. Not an Apple website
Dude its the off season what else is there to talk about?

And for the record this phone is very innovative, it just doesnt seem as innovative BECAUSE it is not what we have expected... yes there is another one coming BUT this is the best one available now...  If you dont like it wait... as for me? Im pulling the trigger and im going to enjoy it.
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>