Any graphic designers here-

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jacquet View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jacquet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any graphic designers here-
    Posted: Oct/17/2011 at 7:52pm
Hey everybody, I've been working on a snowboard retail website for awhile now and I've reached the point of needing a logo, such as Trusnow's. The name of this site is WonSnow. It is a palindrome so it would be cool if that was incorporated into the design. Other than that go crazy!
Of course for the chosen design-the creator will be awarded 40$ via paypal. I hope to see some sweet stuff! thanks
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 3:19am
Any designer worth their salt would not work on spec for a contest, and certainly not for $40. No offense, but wanted you to know that you're going to get what you pay for....
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 3:32am
So your trying to rip off TruSnow brand and giving a prize for 40$ for your comapny's logo
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 3:34am

you think about the name OneSnow instead?  Just a thought.

Have to agree with fostpaint though, doubt you'll find a graphics art professional giving it up so cheap.  You might get lucky and find a student looking to build a portfolio though.  Good luck.
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 3:37am
Originally posted by snowj420

you think about the name OneSnow instead?  Just a thought.

Have to agree with fostpaint though, doubt you'll find a graphics art professional giving it up so cheap.  You might get lucky and find a student looking to build a portfolio though.  Good luck.

I think he liked the palindrome part about the name, so doubt it'll change to OneSnow. And as for the student thing... well, like I said, you get what you pay for. I'm really resisting the urge to go into my art fees rant that stuff like this usually sets off because I don't think people who do this stuff are really that ill intentioned.... but I still don't have to like it.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 3:53am
My logo is a winner, send the $40 grand prize to my PayPal accout: CheapOldBastardButBrilliantArtist@gmail.com

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 3:57am
"I think he liked the palindrome part about the name, so doubt it'll change to OneSnow."

I know, but OneSnow just seems like a good name to me.  Like a great uniter of a name.  Plus, using the #1  with in logos would be sweet.  Really workable.  Not that wonsnow wouldn't be.  ramble ramble.

Yeah, I think if ppl don't know "creatives" they just don't realize what goes into it (time, energy, talent) and consider that that logo is the "face" of a company and reps so much for that company.  Take burton or dc, those are some hard ass logos.  Ppl of all walks of life recognize that dc logo. 

@jacquet- start sketching stuff.  I'm am artistically impaired but managed to come up with a pretty sweet logo for my....whatever we are.   Inspiration might surprise you sometimes.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 3:59am
oh yeah, and aside from recognition, think of how many millions are made off that DC logo.  Ken sold the company for something like 90 million
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 6:30am
are you mocking designers or something? how is anyone going to take your business seriously when you're offering $40 for a logo. kids go to school to become designers.
odoyale rules View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote odoyale rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 8:25am
Hmm $40 is pretty cheap... butttt not for a college student Wink so I might be willing to do it 

I can make you a vectorized logo + send you all the files you need. Ask for some samples of my work if you want em. I don't plan on ripping off the TruSnow logo though.

-O

PS Normally you are going to need several hundred + for a decent logo. Also if you are starting a retail website and all you can afford is $40 for a logo I am not so sure you are on the right track
18 days and counting

I make custom diecuts (stickers). PM me for info
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 8:26am
Originally posted by ctoma

My logo is a winner, send the $40 grand prize to my PayPal accout: CheapOldBastardButBrilliantArtist@gmail.com

SO?  Did I win or not???
The English Butler View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote The English Butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 8:31am
Originally posted by fostpaint

Any designer worth their salt would not work on spec for a contest, and certainly not for $40. No offense, but wanted you to know that you're going to get what you pay for....

I'll get started right away then... Wink
More Tea Lord Douglas?
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 8:33am
Originally posted by matic

are you mocking designers or something? how is anyone going to take your business seriously when you're offering $40 for a logo. kids go to school to become designers.

^ agree

$40 = about 1/2 hr worth of work. Logo design usually starts at about $500 to start (this is where I start)
offering someone $40 to create a logo is kind of BS!
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 8:35am

SO?  Did I win or not???

I think your entry is very strong, however I have some critiques. One, your color scheme is monochromatic and doesn't play well on a white background with the light blue, it's somewhat hard to read. Two, I get a slight "TV antenna" vibe from your snowflake, which while intrinsically beautiful could still use some tweaking. Lastly, the font you used doesn't suggest a hip, up-and-coming snowboarding site like wonsnow.com is surely trying to be, and you failed to highlight the palindrome aspect of the name as well. Possibly try un-capitalizing the W or adding a super-sweet mirror effect to the text.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 8:41am
Broys - I appreciate the constructive criticism and will post a new design soon, taking into account some of your recommendations.  I was going for a simplistic/minimal approach, something worth $40 and no more.

Hold on to your seats and wait for the next greatest logo ever created!  It will put Apple's apple logo to shame!
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 8:55am
Here it is, 10 minutes of hard work (my apologies to the true graphic designers):

To be a true palindrome I had to add "moc." to the "wonSnow.com".  Good luck registering that domain name, pal.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 8:55am
Originally posted by jacquet

Hey everybody, I've been working on a snowboard retail website for awhile now and I've reached the point of needing a logo, such as Trusnow's. The name of this site is WonSnow. It is a palindrome so it would be cool if that was incorporated into the design. Other than that go crazy!
Of course for the chosen design-the creator will be awarded 40$ via paypal. I hope to see some sweet stuff! thanks

Are you that evil web designer with the green hair that Spenser is always hinting about?  If so, Ctoma you better make sure this dude is not already using your AWSM design !!! 

-b
get bent
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 8:57am
^ Good point, send my fee ($250/10 minutes) to my PayPal account immediately or you will be hearing from my attorneys.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 8:59am

^ Good point, send my fee ($250/10 minutes) to my PayPal account immediately or you will be hearing from my attorneys.

I'll represent you dude, but since you only stood to make $40 my contingency will have to move up to 100% (from 75%, which is what I usually command on these internet-snowboard-forum-type cases)

-b
get bent
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 9:00am
ctoma is killin it! we would like to see some more mock ups! Clap
heisenbise View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote heisenbise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 9:03am

To be a true palindrome I had to add "moc." to the "wonSnow.com".  Good luck registering that domain name, pal.

If you're really going to play up the full palindrome on the name, I would consider making the logo symmetric as well.  Creating a whole mirror image.  But what do I know, I'm clearly not on your level of graphic design excellence.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 9:09am
Originally posted by The English Butler

Originally posted by fostpaint

I'll get started right away then... Wink

+1

but then again....that could buy a round of drinks, or a tank of gas...if I had a car.

I will spend, 40 minutes on this.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 9:13am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

I'll represent you dude, but since you only stood to make $40 my contingency will have to move up to 100% (from 75%, which is what I usually command on these internet-snowboard-forum-type cases)

-b

Consider yourself hired although until my designs start selling I can only pay you in Shaun White Stride Whitemint gum (I bought a warehouse full of the stuff thinking it will become a collector's item).  BTW, I'm billing this kid $250/10 minute intervals.  Right now I have 46 minutes invested in his project.  Every minute I'm on this thread reading updates and checking out the competition adds $25 to my bill and I will keep checking until he declares me the winner.
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 9:23am
i don't think you've offered the client enough selections yet. we need more to critique. 
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 9:46am

Here it is, 10 minutes of hard work (my apologies to the true graphic designers):

Very nice improvement. The gradients on the snowflakes hint at a subtle elegance whilst remaining colorful and playful, yet still reminding the viewer of all things shiny and new. The drop shadows make the design "pop" off the screen, edgy but not too in-your-face, well done with those, and with snowflakes three is almost always better than one.

The logo text, however, still leaves a bit to be desired. I'm sure it was an error with the transfer to the site, but the granular drop shadow on the text just doesn't match up with the quality of the one above it. I do appreciate the use of the gradient on the text, very classy, and your commitment to the palindrome should be applauded.

Side note: You could have that domain on wonsnow.com, you'd just need to add a subdomain of moc to get moc.wonsnow.com, which would of course be awesome.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 9:49am
Ask and ye shall receive:

Disclaimer:  I did not rip off Microsoft's clipart, I drew that shiz myself.  Really.
The English Butler View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote The English Butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 9:54am
^^^ Awesomeness to the power of 10 Clap If jacquet doesn't go for this I'm gonna be very distressed
More Tea Lord Douglas?
d15p4tch View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote d15p4tch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 9:58am
I'm more of a product designer but i'll throw something together for you. Some questions though. Do you want graphics in addition to text? What do you want the logo to say about your company? Why did you choose that name? Any colors/fonts/graphics you have in mind?
shredhead16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shredhead16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:00am
I'll try to make something... give me like an hour and I should have it whipped up...
you can win awesome prizes, just click the link below!
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:01am
I am artistically spent...  I figure I logged 147 minutes on this campaign, my bill to jacquet will be $3,675.  The honorable -b Esq. will be representing me in case the client defaults on the payment.

If anyone needs me I will be in my studio recharging my artistic batteries.
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:02am

Ask and ye shall receive:

Disclaimer:  I did not rip off Microsoft's clipart, I drew that shiz myself.  Really.

absolutely gives it the "movement" in the logo. major backcountry + outdoors cred with the classic mountain illustrations. the typeface is almost there, but can possibly be in an arc? 
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:03am
I shall revisit this request once my artisticness has been recharged.  Again, no offense to the real artists.
Snowguy7 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Snowguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:08am
This thread is hilarious...

Let me know when you get serious and will actually pay the appropriate amount to get a logo...

btw:

Best of luck with the logo and retail site  LOL
- Whenever I go to shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving, so I say, "I'm gonna go shave, too." -
njironman6 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Quote njironman6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:19am
the mistake this guy made was making it a contest for money if he just asked if anyone had any graphic design skills to just have fun with something im sure a few would have that make look decent but his approach was more of an insult.
jacquet View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jacquet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:20am
im completely unaware of the effort it takes to make a logo, so please forgive my meager award. I didnt mean to offend any designers. This is a project for a college competition, so funds are limited.

Frostpaint-can you give me an idea of the costs

Odoyle rules- depending on what frostpaint says ill up the ante to 120$ Anything higher is beyond what i can spend. Im looking forward to what you create

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:23am
Hey, wait a minute pal, I invested 147 minutes (at a cost of $25/minute, you will be receiving my bill soon) into your campaign and you do not even acknowledge my hard work?  You will be hearing from my attorney.

-b Esq., please address the situation.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:31am
Originally posted by jacquet

im completely unaware of the effort it takes to make a logo, so please forgive my meager award. I didnt mean to offend any designers. This is a project for a college competition, so funds are limited.

Frostpaint-can you give me an idea of the costs

Odoyle rules- depending on what frostpaint says ill up the ante to 120$ Anything higher is beyond what i can spend. Im looking forward to what you create

Since this is for a college comp...shouldn't you be doing the work?
jacquet View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jacquet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:32am
Your designs are very nice
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:36am
My final entry:

Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:38am

My final entry:

hahahaha. best one yet.
Krazylegz1485 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:48am
Ctoma - your street cred is going up at a rapid rate.  Maybe Wall St. should take notes.
http://thench.com/garage/
vinzo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vinzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:53am
LOL that was a great logo
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Krazylegz1485

Ctoma - your street cred is going up at a rapid rate.  Maybe Wall St. should take notes.

Agreed, bringing some solid hate to the arena. Definitely picking up the reigns for the new age of trusnow
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Online Status: Online
  Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:56am

My final entry:

+1 for the legit typefacing, 
+1 for the bold use of color, 
+1 for the blackout look (very hip right now)
-1 for that "star looking thing"  .... i mean really man, where'd you come up with that??
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 11:07am
ctoma really like thats blue doesnt he. to bring it out better, should have use the snow as is, just change the tru to won
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 11:22am
it's been a while since there's a been a great troll thread on TruSnow  this is one of them.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Online Status: Online
  Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 11:24am
^^ Careful man, don't jinx it...  

calling a thread great on the first page is like calling last run... 
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 11:25am

Hey, wait a minute pal, I invested 147 minutes (at a cost of $25/minute, you will be receiving my bill soon) into your campaign and you do not even acknowledge my hard work?  You will be hearing from my attorney.

-b Esq., please address the situation.

Hey buddy, pay the man!  And cease and desist, or something

-b
get bent
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 11:32am
I wholeheartedly agree with the above criticisms, here is my new logo:

MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 11:35am

I wholeheartedly agree with the above criticisms, here is my new logo:

HAHAHAHA!! U are having too much fun ctoma!!  Might have to deduct from your pay.
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>