Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CAPnCRUNCH View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camber or Reverse Camber-
    Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 11:28am
Hey guys
I've ridden traditional camber boards all my life.
Really interested in trying the new reverse camber (rocker) boards out.
I do a little park but mostly just freeride.

Can you guys suggest a good rocker board?
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 11:48am
i've been riding camber for about 4 years and herd about reverse camber and wanted try it out so i switch over.The experience is fun feels like a loose buttery stick under your foot. rocker felt more playful and easier on quick turns. overall i really enjoy rockers if your doing park,tricks,jibs all day but on some occasion i ride traditional camber for carving and big hills. i ride a skate banana myself but there are alot of other good brands out there like Rome artifact rocker,k2 www,burton flyin v,Gnu,Flow..it all depends on your riding style and your desire board stiffness/flex but i highly recommend checking out libtech sb,Gnu,Forum chillydogs
xrmitchell View Drop Down
Local
Local
Snowbird on a bluebird

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 12:20pm
Definitely try before you buy because the feel is very different. Some people love it, others hate it.
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by CAPnCRUNCH

Hey guys
I've ridden traditional camber boards all my life.
Really interested in trying the new reverse camber (rocker) boards out.
I do a little park but mostly just freeride.

Can you guys suggest a good rocker board?

Are you going to be free riding this board as well?  i'd suggest a Jones Flagship if freeriding.
Did you google it?
speedy79 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Granite Peak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 4:36pm
U can always try a Never Summer EVO ... the have that R.C. technology (rocker and camber) its more of hybrid board that gives a rocker feel but also bites hard on fast turns. I ride one and love the versatility of it
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 4:49pm
You really have to know what you want the board for because rockered boards and all the variants come in so many flavors it doesn't even make sense to say I like rockered boards anymore in my opinion.  You might like one rockered board and hate another just the same way that I like many cambered boards and dislike many others.  So you need to know what you want to use the board for and how much of a rockered feel you are looking for.  There are hybrid rockers out there as well.

Lib Tech and Never Summer (C2 )are major players in Camber tip and tail and Rocker under feet
Most other companies that make hybrids put rocker in tip and tail and camber under feet.

Someone recommended the Flagship but that is a charging board even though it is a rocker and a very good example of how there is no defacto rockered board.  If you are looking for a board that feels like Camber but with a little more float look into the C2 profile.  If you want a pure rockered board then Banana, Pickle, Element, Indoor Fk (not sure if that is really a pure rocker feel though but an option none the less) are some options.

If you want a rockered board with a more all mountain spirit you could try the Jones Flagship or Twin.

So many choices i have barely touched on the surface.
2zz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 5:09pm
There's a lot of options.
Narrow down your options by...
flex, shape, type of reverese camber, etc.
If you ride switch, I'll suggest a true twin shape and flex. But directional shape and flex will work better for freeriding.
I like Capita's FKs. Very versatile shape. Stable, lots of pop, a great choice between camber and full reverese camber.
Signal Park Rocker is probably one of the most extreme reverese camber out there. Is very loose and buttery. I wouldn't suggest this for freeriding.  
I hadn't tried any combo of reverese and camber yet, so I can't comment on those. But look at Travis Rice freeriding on his C2BTX.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 7:06pm
Thanks guys for all the tips.
Currently I'm riding a Ride DH.
I like the board.
I was actually looking at the Gnu Pickle and the Capita boards.
I wish I can try them out but trying to get to the Mtn during demo days is hard for me.

McSos View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 7:24pm
I started out with camber, then switched to the GNU Carbon Credit which is a banana. I personally enjoy riding camber for bombing hills and carving out turns, but the reverse camber of the GNU is super buttery and fun in the park.
At times, I feel like my banana has that feeling of "slipping out" under my feet, especially during landings and traveling at high speed -- both events can be sketchy.

I will be riding the Never Summer Evo this year, which is a combination of camber and rocker. Let's see if I can get the best of both worlds.
vicente View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 7:27pm
I went from camber to rocker a few seasons ago, I'm pretty much all free ride no park, I actually have come to the conclusion that other then for playing around on especially on slushy days I don't really like rocker. I've found that I very much prefer a combo camber like someone said early in here the Lib/never summer style with reverse camber between you're feet and cambered tip and tail, has most of the play benefits of rocker and more of the response pop and hard charging power of camber.

Just an after thought I haven't really found in my opinion that I feel like rocker/reverse camber is unresponsive, so much as there's a lag in the response time not very much but it's there. Will it still do what you tell it to yea just a hair slower, which is an feeling a personally don't like when I running shoots and things like that. Anyways C2 combo types don't have that.
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 7:35pm
with the hybrid camber talk coming into the convo...
have U looked at Bataleon boards and TBT? (Triple Base Technology)
It's super fun! Tons of pop! I will only be getting Bataleon boards until something I think is more fun comes along.
It has all the benefits of camber (it is camber) and reverse camber .. the video will show you.

I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
speedy79 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Granite Peak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 8:01pm
^^ That video sums it right up!! I think i might be looking into another board soon !! Even though i love my EVO!
shagwag3n View Drop Down
Local
Local
Duck of Death

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2011 at 4:10am
i learned on a regular camber board, had a few diff ones before picking up a sierrascope, love it now and it's my go-to board. i did pick up a burton rc hero end of the season last yr so i'll be giving that a go once i can get out this year :D
my images won't show up dammit
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2011 at 4:31am
I would say just look for a hybrid camber/rocker. its the best of both worlds. it has the flex of a rocker with the ability to stay stable at high speed and not get squirlly. there are more and more brand doing it now. best bang for your buck is forum honey pot. they call there tech combo platter the only down side is they only have them in smaller sizes 2011 151cm and 154cm 2012 i have found a 156.5
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2011 at 8:10am
Originally posted by xrmitchell

Definitely try before you buy because the feel is very different. Some people love it, others hate it.

+1.  I would demo something similar to what you want to buy before you buy anything.  personally, i prefer camber, except for pow and some park, but if you're mostly doing freeriding, you might not like reverse camber at all.  
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2011 at 12:42pm
Okay I think I will look for the camber rocker hybrids to try it out.
I will post back once I bought the board and let you guys know how I like it.
Thanks everyone for all the advice.
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2011 at 12:51pm
everyone tells me reverse for easier learning curve and park boarding so i just got a new setup this yr and i'm stoked to try it out!
be talkin to ya
simsfsr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Serenity

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2011 at 1:22pm
I'm going to assume that you've never ridden a Reverse Camber board....

I've ridden camber for almost 18 years.  Then tried rocker 3 years ago.  It took me almost half a season to get used to it.  I first tried a true rocker board (Skate Banana).  Found that really squirly.  Then I tried a friends flat board (K2 WWW), and found it a bit more stable but was really soft.  I then demo'd a V Rocker (Burton Joystick) and found this more to my liking and "rediscovered" snowboarding again.  Keep in mind that I've been getting more accustomed to reverse camber during this time.

The only downside to the Joystick was that it was one size smaller than what I should have (was 154cm).  However, it became my go-to board.  I mostly freeride and sometimes hit the park.  I learned that with reverse camber boards, you need to be totally over the board (it'll feel like you're leaning forward, if you get what I'm sayin'), no leaning back.

I just recently purchased a used 157cm Joystick and will be riding that this year as my freeride board, keeping my 154 as my screw around board.  I still have a 156cm camber board, hoping that I may ride it again, but with how I like the Joystick, it ma be a while....

My 0.02.

I suggest reading up on the resorts around you and see what boards their rental fleets are.
Most larger resorts have the option to rent reverse camber boards (altough at a premium).  Quick Google search shows Dodge Ridge rents out Burton and Bataleon (I believe this is within a few hours of you).  Call the resorts close to you and ask them what boards they have.  Next boarding trip, bring your camber board but rent a rocker.  Try it out and if you don't like it, you have your camber.
packfan4ever View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2011 at 1:37pm
capitas fk boards are sweet. the boards feel more flexy and easier to press then alot of camber boards out there but they dont turn into complete noodles like alot of rc boards do. check out the capita indoor survival fk. youll be able to kill it when you head in the park but its still great for riding around
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 8:23pm
I decided on the Gnu Park Pickle.
Put in the order this weekend.
Hope I like it.
Rommel View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2011 at 5:58am
I'm looking at a reverse camber rocker board too. I've only had one camber board, Forum Recon, that I've had for a few years now.

I want something more fun, soft, buttery, easy to spin and do ground tricks with, maybe some park, but still all-mountain. I'm just gonna go for it, never tried one but heard and read great things!
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2011 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Rommel

I'm looking at a reverse camber rocker board too. I've only had one camber board, Forum Recon, that I've had for a few years now.

I want something more fun, soft, buttery, easy to spin and do ground tricks with, maybe some park, but still all-mountain. I'm just gonna go for it, never tried one but heard and read great things!

I would recommend to look away from RC and look more towards either a hybrid rocker like C2, just because the C2 hybrid design has significant enough camber sections to provide solid stability and edgehold, while the rocker in the middle still gives benefits of reverse camber, such as forcing the tips up to increase float, playfullness, etc.  In the end it is your choice, but I would recommend improving your skills on the traditional camber so you don't begin to just skid, slide and drag the board around like a f*ck because it is "easier" to do so.  Work on perfecting techniques, then mess around with reverse camber and all that fun stuff.  You can always do ground tricks with full camber too, and spinning should be no problem on full camber either when you have proper technique.  Also, rocker profiles do not dictate where the board can be ridden.  That's just my input, many people may disagree with me, but whatever.
Rommel View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2011 at 9:30am
Originally posted by JBburton 18

I would recommend to look away from RC and look more towards either a hybrid rocker like C2, just because the C2 hybrid design has significant enough camber sections to provide solid stability and edgehold, while the rocker in the middle still gives benefits of reverse camber, such as forcing the tips up to increase float, playfullness, etc.  In the end it is your choice, but I would recommend improving your skills on the traditional camber so you don't begin to just skid, slide and drag the board around like a f*ck because it is "easier" to do so.  Work on perfecting techniques, then mess around with reverse camber and all that fun stuff.  You can always do ground tricks with full camber too, and spinning should be no problem on full camber either when you have proper technique.  Also, rocker profiles do not dictate where the board can be ridden.  That's just my input, many people may disagree with me, but whatever.

Yeah I agree, thanks.

I can do ground tricks with my current board but it seems to be harder to spin (feels heavy and maybe too long for me?). Also buttering and pressing seems like it requires too much force (maybe the boards too stiff) and sometimes catch an edge LOL. The recon is directional so going switch feels different as the nose is a lot softer than the tail on this thing.

So yeah, I guess a RC or rocker'd board isn't necessary...but I kinda want something totally different from what I have now if you know what I mean.

Seriously considering Arbor Westmark http://arborcollective.com/snow/boards/view/42/westmark - what do you think? for my needs...

Thanks again!
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2011 at 9:44am

Yeah I agree, thanks.

I can do ground tricks with my current board but it seems to be harder to spin (feels heavy and maybe too long for me?). Also buttering and pressing seems like it requires too much force (maybe the boards too stiff) and sometimes catch an edge LOL. The recon is directional so going switch feels different as the nose is a lot softer than the tail on this thing.

So yeah, I guess a RC or rocker'd board isn't necessary...but I kinda want something totally different from what I have now if you know what I mean.

Seriously considering Arbor Westmark http://arborcollective.com/snow/boards/view/42/westmark - what do you think? for my needs...

Thanks again!
In the end, it is your decision, and it doesn't hurt to try.  But in my own experience, I have no problem buttering and pressing my T.Rice and Flagship, which both are over 160 in length.  Spins on the Flagship are tough as it is heavy, but the T.Rice its fine.  Yes, shorter boards may be easier to spin faster with, but when you begin to improve your techniques with it, it shouldn't make too much of a difference.  Unless you are comparing something like a 157 to a 164, then you will get a noticeable difference.  But a couple cm shouldn't hurt.  Buttering is a pressing technique, not a lift.  You may not easily get the extreme presses that you can get with something like a horrorscope when you are on something stiffer like a custom x, t.rice, t6, etc.  However, it is still doable, and eventually you will practice it enough and get to do t6 butters like Nicolas Muller and get the board vertical.

If possible, try to demo different RC boards, as well as hybrid camber snowboards.  Find out what you like to use best, and what works best for you.  My experience with RC is that it didn't make my buttering or spins better, it just had a looser, more playful feel to it.  It wasn't my thing.

Do what you want, because we never really do know what works for us until we try different stuff out.
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2011 at 10:30am

Yeah I agree, thanks.

Thanks again!
In the end, it is your decision, and it doesn't hurt to try.  But in my own experience, I have no problem buttering and pressing my T.Rice and Flagship, which both are over 160 in length.  Spins on the Flagship are tough as it is heavy, but the T.Rice its fine.  Yes, shorter boards may be easier to spin faster with, but when you begin to improve your techniques with it, it shouldn't make too much of a difference.  Unless you are comparing something like a 157 to a 164, then you will get a noticeable difference.  But a couple cm shouldn't hurt.  Buttering is a pressing technique, not a lift.  You may not easily get the extreme presses that you can get with something like a horrorscope when you are on something stiffer like a custom x, t.rice, t6, etc.  However, it is still doable, and eventually you will practice it enough and get to do t6 butters like Nicolas Muller and get the board vertical.

If possible, try to demo different RC boards, as well as hybrid camber snowboards.  Find out what you like to use best, and what works best for you.  My experience with RC is that it didn't make my buttering or spins better, it just had a looser, more playful feel to it.  It wasn't my thing.

Do what you want, because we never really do know what works for us until we try different stuff out.

i totally agree with this.  for spins, 1 or 2 cm isn't going to make a noticeable difference.  and for buttering, the length of the board may affect stiffness, but at the same time, there's more tip and tail to flex, so buttering may or may not be harder or easier.  
Rommel View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2011 at 10:42am
Good points guys, thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply