Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fossilX View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who wears insoles etc.-
    Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 7:16pm
Was wondering what percentage of seasoned riders use them and what brands to look at...  was going to buy some boots this week but if this is a must have, I need to get some of these first.. thanks
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 7:38pm
I have superfeet in both my hockey skates and snowboarding boots.  Helps with my flatter arch.
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 7:51pm
i use custom insoles last season
they cost me more than the boots itself LOL

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 8:06pm
does that actually make a difference? are they designed for boarding? 
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 8:21pm
I threw in some superfeet in my boots and the pain went away!  It helps.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 8:35pm
ALWAYS get aftermarket insoles.  there are no stock snowboard insoles that i'm aware of that are actually any good, even in the highest end boots.

this will be my 5th season using superfeet.  they fit my arch/foot shape the best and sit the best in my boots.

good insoles make boots fit way better.  for example, nike zoom forces are pretty much made for my exact foot, they fit so good, but before i tried them with my superfeet, i just felt "meh" about them.  later that year i put superfeet in and then tried some on, and i could hardly believe the difference.

also been using superfeet in all my shoes for years.  got one of my shop riders to try them out, finally, and now he's totally converted.  he said everything was better.  no foot pain, much better support, much better when taking landings like skating stair sets or whatever.. he's loving them.

i would gladly pay a couple hundred bucks for custom insoles, but superfeet are doing me great so far.  eventually i'll invest in customs, though.

SOLE also makes good ones, and check out shred soles too (snowboard-specific insoles)
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 8:52pm
i've used them in work boots and just started in recently in every day shoes. It's helped with knee problems. Personally I wouldnt spend more than $50 for a pair but I'm definitely trying my work boot pair with my snowboard boots this season.
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 8:54pm
at first its a bit awkward...especially if your a flip-flop wearer
mainly cause your foot is not use to the support

couple of rides later... definitely notice the difference 

not really an expensive investment for superfeet 

35 bucks 
free shipping US i believe
99.6% feedback

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by AyChan87

does that actually make a difference? are they designed for boarding?

yes it does..not only it's for comfort but the soles do help your posture when your standing on your feet on hours of shredding
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 9:54pm
it also relieves your arch muscles of having to do extra work when they're not supported by a proper insole. one of the main reasons for foot cramps and pain is improper arch support.  it makes a big difference.

also, the better fit can potentially allow your boots to fit better to the point that they ride better.  better response, wasting less energy, much better on your feet and knees and everything while riding and landing and all that.

there's really no reason not to get them... you can't even pull the "it looks dumb" line like you can with helmets (not that that's a good enough reason not to wear a helmet, i'm just saying...)
CLoSeR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 1:23am
Yep I use insoles in my Nitro boots, they provide much better arch support than the stock ones.
10 Sierra Crew | 10 Rome Crail | 10 Union Sierra Contact SL | 10 Nitro Reverb TLS Boots
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 2:07am
So when you guys buy the insole online I'm assuming, how would you know it fits your arc properly
AlexanderJ View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 2:35am
Superfeet. Seriously. I got the red ones since they are for cold weather, and they make your feet feel so much better than the piece of foam in the bottom of snowboarding boots.
And kel, the heel is formed out, and it is extra big around the toe area. You line up your old ones and trim the toe arch to fit your boot.
Daveongo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 3:01am
i have a pair of doctor scholls i put in my boots caused they packed down a little too much for my liking
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 4:03am

what happens if you dont have much of an arc? would the insoles mold around it like those heat activated ones?

kikko View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 5:16am
Originally posted by spenser

ALWAYS get aftermarket insoles.  there are no stock snowboard insoles that i'm aware of that are actually any good, even in the highest end boots.

this will be my 5th season using superfeet.  they fit my arch/foot shape the best and sit the best in my boots.

good insoles make boots fit way better.  for example, nike zoom forces are pretty much made for my exact foot, they fit so good, but before i tried them with my superfeet, i just felt "meh" about them.  later that year i put superfeet in and then tried some on, and i could hardly believe the difference.

also been using superfeet in all my shoes for years.  got one of my shop riders to try them out, finally, and now he's totally converted.  he said everything was better.  no foot pain, much better support, much better when taking landings like skating stair sets or whatever.. he's loving them.

i would gladly pay a couple hundred bucks for custom insoles, but superfeet are doing me great so far.  eventually i'll invest in customs, though.

SOLE also makes good ones, and check out shred soles too (snowboard-specific insoles)

which super feet insoles would you recommend for snowboard boots? red cold weather ones?
Fear does not stop death, it stops life...
Rommel View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 6:52am
I thought the cold weather ones were green? At least they were when I bought them a few years ago...
thedru13 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 7:03am
I use inserts. Can't live with out them. I have them in my Burton Sabaths. I have pretty flat arch so get pain in my shins something awful. I went to my local board shop and they fit me for inserts and heated them to my feet. Cost was about 120 bucks for both. Well worth the money.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 7:12am
Originally posted by spenser

there's really no reason not to get them... you can't even pull the "it looks dumb" line like you can with helmets (not that that's a good enough reason not to wear a helmet, i'm just saying...)

But an insole will really drag down my sweet socks brah!!  

I use these bad boys right here: http://www.profootcare.com/p-triad.html.  They are 3/4 length, super comfy, and cost less than $10 at walmart.  I took out the stock insole in my Burton Boots, and threw these in.  
Instantly better!
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
heisenbise View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 7:24am
Originally posted by jenni

what happens if you dont have much of an arc? would the insoles mold around it like those heat activated ones?

Superfeet (for example) makes them in a number of different arch profiles.  I got mine in-store and was fitted with a number of different profiles, and concluded that the blue was the best match for me.  If none of the pre-formed ones fit you usually have a few other options.  A good shop should be able to fit you for a set of custom cork foot beds.  Sole makes a few options that you toss in the oven to heat up, then mold them to your foot.

I found them a bit uncomfortable the first time I wore them for an extended time because my feet weren't used to the extra support.  I'd recommend wearing them in your normal shoes for a few days before going boarding so that you can get used to them.
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 7:30am
I wear insoles. Custom insoles, superfeet, etc. if you ride more than a few days a year. No reason not to buy them. I use them in my sports cleats and work boots. Makes riding all day much more comfortable.
There is no reason not to buy them
x_X
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 8:45am
i prefer the half insoles, just the ones that are for ur heels and arch. i personally find that the half insole overall makes it more confortable to stand in ur boots all day long and relieves stress on ur heel, but it still gives u better control while riding because u have more sensitivity on the balls of ur feet. i tried full insoles before and i feel like the extra gel/cushion under the balls of ur feet hinders my toe-side sensitivity
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 12:32pm
I always thought it won't be a big difference till I got a pair of Superfeet.
Wow. With the stock insoles, it felt fine. With Superfeet, it made the stock insoles feel like crap. I never got foot pain, but with Superfeet, I feel that my muscles of my feet is under less stress and made my boots feel more responsive.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 12:43pm
hmm if all you people rave about it so much, l might go hit my walmart and pick it up. just to clarify though, this is in addition to the liner? wouldn't it feel "different" if the thickness be different
AlexanderJ View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 1:27pm
yes, i put the superfeet inside the liner. its the best. red ones are good for snowboard boots they have a thermal liner for extra warmth.
simsfsr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Serenity

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 1:44pm
I wear superfeet on my boots and all my skate shoes.
Got the Blue ones, which are neutral pronation I believe.
My wife has the Green ones which are for over pronation.
Been using them for over 2 years now and will never go without.
koyota93 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by keljai

hmm if all you people rave about it so much, l might go hit my walmart and pick it up. just to clarify though, this is in addition to the liner? wouldn't it feel "different" if the thickness be different

Real insoles are not sold at Walmart. Get the superfeet. I think they are about $30-$40, but well worth it. 

A few years ago, my next door neighbor, upper mgmt at Sole Tech (Es, Etnies, Emerica, ThirtyTwo,) hooked me up with a free pair of 32 Lashed. They felt great around the house but on the mountain, the pain was horrible. I ended up buying a pair of Burton Hail and those feet better with pain but less pain. At this point, there was no way I'm gonna buy another pair of boots. I ended buying green Superfeet. Most of the pain went away and I was finally able to enjoy riding instead of worrying about my feet. Best money I ever  spent. Between then and now, I have gone through probably 5-6 boards and 6-7 pairs of bindings but I'm still riding the same boots. Moral of the story... Superfeet saved snowboarding for me.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 1:59pm
I've been wearing superfeet for years, but my new 2011 salomon dialogues came stock with really impressive "Mystic" insoles (look a lot like superfeet) that I don't think are going to be throw-aways.  I've only ridden them two days...we'll see
heisenbise View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by keljai

Most boot liners (at least all the ones I have had) have a removable insole pad inside the liner.  Remove that and use it to determine the shape you need to trim from the new contoured footbed.  Then place the new footbed inside the liner where the old pad was.  It shouldn't make much of an increase in thickness since you're replacing the old pad.

What you're looking for is something like Superfeet or Sole supportive footbeds, not something like the Dr. Sholls you can pickup at Walmart.  Check out either a ski/snowboard shop or sometimes sporting goods stores (I picked up a pair at Sports Chalet).  Or you can find them online.
Aus_Boarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 3:31pm
Whenever I buy a new pair of boots, I also buy a pair of superfeet.  It makes all the difference for me.  I never have foot pain when I ride.
red_baron View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 3:39pm
Superfeet are absolutely life changing! IMHO
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 3:51pm
ok i guess i had better check this out since everyone seems to be singing the ode to insoles on here. i've never used them and don't have any pain in my feet. then again i also don't do park and jumps, which indubitably puts more stress on your feet. either way, i suppose if a shop has them so i can try them on, it'd be good to see whether they improve things for me as well.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 3:54pm
So red colored one is for superfeet?? I really don't have any snowboard shop around me and thought walmart would work?
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 4:13pm
you really don't need the red one even though it advertised for boarding (they have different colors if you check their website). you can use what ever fit you the best, it might be the blue, the green or the pink/orange (for the ladies). walmart don't carry them, your best bet will be dick's sport or sport authority if you have one near by.
hmmm... Now What???   
SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 4:35pm
You can get them online but remember they have to be heated up and formed to your foot.

There probably are some home methods to doing that but its probably better to do it where you buy them.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 5:21pm
wt f, heat up the insole? that's the first time i ever heard about it.
hmmm... Now What???   
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 6:16pm
i'd take the existing insole out. it can get crowded if youre rocking both insoles.
TheCanadian View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
yeee

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 6:48pm
Ya id take the existing insoles out and switch my insoles with the ones in my hockey skates whenever i go up to the mountain. I have custom insoles to help with my high arches. The pain went away almost instantly when i got them in.
SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by bataleon155

wt f, heat up the insole? that's the first time i ever heard about it.

If you've ever been to a ski shop you have probably seen one of these before.

This is where they custom fit the super feet for you.  That box under the chair is a heater to heat them up so they form to your foot.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 9:36pm
I think I actually use the yellow/bright green ones.  I can't remember what their written purpose is, but those are the ones that work best for me.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 11:09pm
interesting as even superfeet website didn't mentioned anything about heat mold them. it just excessive if you ask me as the superfeet will form to your feet under use.
hmmm... Now What???   
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 4:12am
Originally posted by bataleon155

interesting as even superfeet website didn't mentioned anything about heat mold them. it just excessive if you ask me as the superfeet will form to your feet under use.
so will boots but people heat mold those too... all it does is eliminate the break in period... no big deal.
MOAR powderz plz!
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
New 2012 setup for outerwear

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 7:59am
Wait wait wait where is the shred soles love. I got me a pair and they are amazing. They fit my mid arch foot and help me stay on the hill longer than being in the lodge.
11 Dc lauri pro tone, 11 Rome s90 bindings

Check out www.wonsnow.com
ktown View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 8:03am
what happens if you dont have much of an arch to begin with. should you still go buy it?
alphaod View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 2:37pm
I've considered custom insoles and still considering.

They are like $200 or something which isn't cheap for 2 pieces of foam.
-= alphaod =-
Current setups~
US: 12 Burton Vapor 159, 12 Burton Fishcuit 150, 12 Burton Diode EST
China: 13 Burton Custom X 158, 14 Cloudsplitter 158.3, 14 Burton Genesis EST
itr43 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 2:46pm
I have super feet in my snowboard boots and also bought some for my work shoes.  They're really comfortable.  
fossilX View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 7:27pm
Ok thanks guys, just ordered the SuperFeet green ones.

So should I just take those in when I go to find some boots at my local snowboard shop...

Trimmed or non-trimmed etc.?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 7:34pm
you can do it yourself, it's super easy.  with both insoles upside down, lay the boot's insole on top of the superfeet with the heels lined up.. then trace around the boot's insole onto the superfeet, then trim.
fossilX View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 7:41pm
Ok ya that makes sense, I mean if I am going into the store to buy new boots..
(currently do not have snowboard boots)
Find a pair my size and take the boot's insoles out and trim my pair in the store... ?

or?

hope that makes sense.
winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by fossilX

Ok thanks guys, just ordered the SuperFeet green ones.

So should I just take those in when I go to find some boots at my local snowboard shop...

Trimmed or non-trimmed etc.?

how did you figure out if you were suppose to buy wide or not?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>