Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: ***NCAA B-Ball 2011/2012 Thread!!***
    Posted: Apr/20/2012 at 9:28pm
ya im sure this UK title will be vacated eventually. does anyone honestly believe any of those guys go to class??
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2012 at 4:44pm
Scandals, sanctions, vacated wins. That's how Calipari did it at Memphis & UMass also, and of course he's carried that tradition on at UK.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2012 at 9:05am
Originally posted by lightning80

Originally posted by mommehK

^^^Correction: You'll get picked at the next level. and probably bench warm. But hey you can do it a few years earlier than if you stay and develop your game!

even sitting on the bench earns them more money than a normal job...

john wall and demarcus cousins from the 2010 draft seem to be doing pretty well...brandon knight from the 2011 draft started most of the games this season..some other notable recent alums: rajon rondo, jodie meeks, tayshaun prince

i'm sure there are more..but it's a nice list to bring on recruiting trips: you want to be the next rajon rondo? or the next demarcus cousins? or the next anthony davis? yeah..pretty easy sales pitch...

I don't think it's that easy, most big schools can say something like that. You want to be the next Michael Jordan? Come to UNC. Etc etc. I mean it's definitely a factor, proven success is very convincing and why these big programs stay on top. Top players want to go to nice schools and play with other top guys and win.

Calipari obviously has the ability to produce quality 1-and-done draft picks, but most of these guys would be top picks anyways. He's got to be doing something else to have that many top-level players continue to flock to him, he even did it at Memphis where they don't have the tradition Kentucky has.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2012 at 10:27am

^^^Correction: You'll get picked at the next level. and probably bench warm. But hey you can do it a few years earlier than if you stay and develop your game!

even sitting on the bench earns them more money than a normal job...

john wall and demarcus cousins from the 2010 draft seem to be doing pretty well...brandon knight from the 2011 draft started most of the games this season..some other notable recent alums: rajon rondo, jodie meeks, tayshaun prince

i'm sure there are more..but it's a nice list to bring on recruiting trips: you want to be the next rajon rondo? or the next demarcus cousins? or the next anthony davis? yeah..pretty easy sales pitch...
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2012 at 9:42am
Originally posted by lightning80

it's not a hard sell: you come to UK, and play well forĀ 1 year, you'll get paid at the next level. no long term commitment needed.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were getting paid at UK as well.
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2012 at 9:42am
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2012 at 9:35am
it's not a hard sell: you come to UK, and play well for 1 year, you'll get paid at the next level. no long term commitment needed.
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2012 at 9:27am
broys -- if I had my guess, it's because of backroom discussions that the Snake in the Grass hopes the NCAA doesn't get wind of. He's had a history of leading teams to scandals and sanctions and vacated wins, and he'll flub up and do the same at UK. I despise the slime ball personally.

Pat's gonna stay on as "Head Coach Emeritus" and will continue to mentor players and apparently have a hand in recruiting. Did any of y'all see the behind-the-scenes show a number of years ago, I think it was HBO (maybe associated with Real Sports), that followed her & the Lady Vols for a season? She's a tough-as-nails hard bitcherooniedoonie of a coach, that's for sure!
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2012 at 7:19am

And buh-bye to the whole starting lineup for Kentucky -- they all declared for the draft, together. The one-and-done Calipari Farm is alive and thriving.

What else is new, it was like that last year and it'll be the same thing next year. I do wonder how exactly he gets all these commitments year after year, it would be fascinating to know the whole story.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2012 at 6:39am

The #1 winningest coach in the history of NCAA basketball is stepping down. Pat Summit leaves after announcing months back that she has early-onset Alzheimer's. That sucks so much -- she is a phenomenal coach no matter how much you hate TN!

And buh-bye to the whole starting lineup for Kentucky -- they all declared for the draft, together. The one-and-done Calipari Farm is alive and thriving.

Pat was a hell of a coach and did wonders for Women's sports beyond the realm of basketball.

"The one-and-done Calipari Farm" is pretty funny lol. Also.. I really have a distaste for the guy so I'm not too put out by his players leaving. Sure gonna make picking next years tourney winner a little more difficult, though!
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2012 at 4:45pm
Pat Summit did a lot for basketball, she was a great coach.
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2012 at 4:04pm
The #1 winningest coach in the history of NCAA basketball is stepping down. Pat Summit leaves after announcing months back that she has early-onset Alzheimer's. That sucks so much -- she is a phenomenal coach no matter how much you hate TN!

mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 4:16pm
UCLA...pfft...those stupid Wear twins can go suck a big one. Moving out in the middle of the night with no word to Coach Williams about leaving....still sounds major fishy to me.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by broys

I'm happy UCLA landed big recruits, #1 and #3 in the country to go along with Smith inside and the transfer twins. The Pac-10 (can't say Pac-12 sorry), has been pretty sorry the last couple years. Maybe this will encourage some of these teams to step up their game because the Pac-10 used to be feared, now it's being out-played by the Mountain West. 

While I'm a huge PAC fan (except UW. Huck the Fuskies), I wouldn't say "they" as a whole were feared, (especially in the eyes of those horrid "Gods-of-Basketball" ACC fans). UCLA obviously is... was... feared, and has had ridiculous runs of dominance. Arizona is not a team that can be overlooked, and has done well in the recent post-Lute Olson era, but the rest of the Conference (including newbies Utah and Colorado) have not had any recent significant reign.
There's been a lot of parity in the last couple years, but it by no means means the PAC has been strong. The last couple years have been rough for the power players; UCLA got a bit lazy in recruiting, and somehow UW took the last couple conference regular seasons. Hell, even UO has found a way to win half their games in conference. But Duke isn't shaking in their boots if the Ducks show up on their schedule.. Lehigh maybe, but not Oregon lol.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 11:18am
I'm happy UCLA landed big recruits, #1 and #3 in the country to go along with Smith inside and the transfer twins. The Pac-10 (can't say Pac-12 sorry), has been pretty sorry the last couple years. Maybe this will encourage some of these teams to step up their game because the Pac-10 used to be feared, now it's being out-played by the Mountain West. 
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 10:41am

Well, it looks like Kentucky is going to have another sick recruiting class again next year.  Noel (#1 C in the country), Poythress, Goodwin and Cauley, AND they might still get Amile Jefferson (#4 PF).  Not to mention whoever stays behind from the title team (clearly Uni, Kidd-Gilchrist are gone).  Cal is just going to keep doing what he's doing.

j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 6:52am
Yah. Those rivalry games are never as fun/intense when one of the teams NEVER stands a chance. And I'm a fan of anyone who can beat "the" Ohio State on any given Saturday :D
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2012 at 2:36pm
It's good to see Michigan and Indiana programs coming back to prominence.  I went to Michigan State and would love to see a few more big ten titles, but they aren't as meaningful when those teams aren't at the top of their game.
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2012 at 2:35pm

mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 4:43pm
Yep, JMM cranked it up late in the season and really started showing fluid strength. He's versatile enough to throw into whatever position needs a break at the time, but could possibly fill the Kendall Marshall shoes at point...and those are some phenomenal shoes to fill. Damn best PG I've seen in as long as I can remember. Just amazing sight up-court and the ability to read ahead and make some fierce plays (but also the ability to try to force a showboat play and make that once-in-awhile stupid-pass-great-that's-a-turnover-now)
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 7:52am
Originally posted by HAVEN2135

Burke staying at Michigan and Zeller staying at Indiana, Big Ten should be tough again next year.

And Michigan is getting Mitch McGary, a true big man to go with Burke and Hardaway Jr. They'll be really good next year, it's nice to see Michigan relevant again. Indiana with Zeller staying another year will be good, but Ohio St. will fall off a little losing Salinger.

Oh and mommehK, McAdoo looks like he'll be really good next year, he'll get his chance to shine with all the Heels leaving this year.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 6:14am
I'm really quite impressed with what has become of Indiana in the last 2-3 seasons. They were a complete train wreck just a few years ago and they had a strong showing in the big 10 reg season and the tourney. No one was gonna overcome that UK matchup, but they played em just about as closely as anyone else.
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 7:16pm
Alright Cody Z! I get to still root for a Zeller next year!   

How did I miss Fab Melo declaring?
Sullinger from OH State declared last week too.

...and it appears James Michael McAdoo from UNC is staying. Yay!

HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 5:52pm
Burke staying at Michigan and Zeller staying at Indiana, Big Ten should be tough again next year.
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 1:27pm
VC = Tar Heel. 'nuff said   
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 8:54am
I remember the Vince Carter story! That was pretty cool.

The college experience would definitely be different after returning from NBA life. But if the degree is a goal, the NBA paychecks make the lack of scholarship eligibility not so bad :)
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 7:32am

If you'll take a peek at the quotes of my Tar Heel draft defectors, they did indeed say they will still complete their degrees. One of their recent players (can't remember who off the top of my head) who left within the last couple years just graduated from UNC maybe last year....?! It can happen.

John Henson: "I plan to finish working toward my degree. That's important to my parents, Coach Williams, and me."

Harrison Barnes: "Although I may be giving up my eligibility, I will continue to pursue my degree. I love this university and will always be a Tar Heel."

The most famous one I remember was Vince Carter, because he went to his graduation the day of an NBA playoff game I think.

There's no reason for college players to miss out on potential NBA money, because like it's been said they can go back to school whenever, and they'll have the financial support with the money they've made if they choose to go back. It's a win/win unless you really like the college atmosphere, that's the main thing you would be missing out on. You go from big man on campus to rookie bag carrier, and some guys don't want to leave that.
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 6:18am
Plus you have to take the money when you get the chance, these guys are one bad injury away from never getting that paycheck and as lightning80 put it there first contract is more money than most people will ever make. You can't take that chance, you can always go back to school.
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 3:54pm
If you'll take a peek at the quotes of my Tar Heel draft defectors, they did indeed say they will still complete their degrees. One of their recent players (can't remember who off the top of my head) who left within the last couple years just graduated from UNC maybe last year....?! It can happen.

John Henson: "I plan to finish working toward my degree. That's important to my parents, Coach Williams, and me."

Harrison Barnes: "Although I may be giving up my eligibility, I will continue to pursue my degree. I love this university and will always be a Tar Heel."

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 7:51am
The purpose of College is to get an education so you can get a job other than flipping burgers. If these players can get a job that pays more than 99% of the population after a year of college, then college has already done more for them than the rest of us. There's no reason to stick around when you've already reached the 1%. Seriously, their first year's salary is more than what most of us earn in a lifetime...
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 7:43am
We agree, but placing emphasis on different points. Risk of injury in college hoops is a factor, but significantly less than in football (which is why I'm shocked Luck stuck around as long as he did). Hardly anyone sticks around NCAA football to obtain their degree. It's becoming less rare in NCAAB, but it's not completely moot. One way or another, there's A LOT money to be put up. Can hardly expect a young man to say "No thanks".
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 6:59am
Originally posted by j_lucky84

A beast, indeed. It seemed the only time louisville or kansas made any sort of an attempt at an inside shot was when he was resting on the bench. His offense was weak in the champ game, but with as many swats, steals and rebounds as he had, it's hardly a glaring downside. It'd be cool if he stuck around and worked on some more consistent shooting practices, but with multimillion-dollar offers being waved in his face, I don't see him sticking around long.

No chance Unibrow is staying, if you can be the #1 overall pick in the NBA then you leave. You never know what can happen so take the guaranteed money when you can before you possibly get injured. Plus he'll develop better in the NBA with their strength trainers and assistant coaches and not having to deal with classes.
alohasurf View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 6:16am
I picked Ohio State all the way. And did terrible in my bracket this year.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 6:08am
A beast, indeed. It seemed the only time louisville or kansas made any sort of an attempt at an inside shot was when he was resting on the bench. His offense was weak in the champ game, but with as many swats, steals and rebounds as he had, it's hardly a glaring downside. It'd be cool if he stuck around and worked on some more consistent shooting practices, but with multimillion-dollar offers being waved in his face, I don't see him sticking around long.
KellyBoy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 9:05pm
Kansas had a nice little run with 5 mins left, but they had so many opportunity and failed to capitalized it. Mr. Unibrow was blocking lots of balls. Dude is a beast.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 8:22pm
Only a matter of time before they stop selling alcohol at games. Fights, riots, etc. some fools just can't hold their liquor. I can understand college kids being out of control cuz some are still trying to find their limits. I know I had my days. But I never rioted our anything like that.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 8:20pm
Hell ya unibrow anthony davis will be one and done-he just became the 4th freshman ever to win player of the year
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 2:35pm
Unibrow Sasquatch will be a one & done kinda guy I bet. Waiting for the draft declaration next.

Stoopit rioting fans. Front page link on ESPN indicates the guy shot in the leg had to have his foot amputated because of it. MORONS.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 11:50am
Rioting after championships used to be strictly an LA/big city thing-now its extending to lexington KY-nice to see we're progressing as a society
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 9:24am
I can kind of understand rioting for the losing team..but the winning team? I'm so happy that I have to...turn cars over, set things on fire, and just randomly break things that I see...and maybe beat up a couple of other fans that cheer for our team...Ouch
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 8:17am
Originally posted by solocreep

Some fans are just funny. Hey, our team just won the championship, lets riot. its all fun till someone gets hurt.

I've never understood the point of rioting. Really one of the worst things to come out of sports, period.

The game was OK, Kentucky just took care of business the first half. Kansas made their runs but they just weren't as good as Kentucky. Doron Lamb was the difference with his shooting, he hit those 2 straight 3s in the second half that stopped Kansas' first comeback cold.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 8:05am
Some fans are just funny. Hey, our team just won the championship, lets riot. its all fun till someone gets hurt.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 6:12am
I really like the fact that Davis feels comfortable with his main contribution being blocks/steals/rebounds. the 1/10 shooting night was indeed abysmal, but 16 total rebounds, 3 steals and 6 blocks is truly impressive. And he's only a freshman! Don't even wanna see what he does if he sticks around another few years! Look out!

I won my bracket pool with my friends as well, unfortunately no one put money on it. My gf played a $5 pool with her coworkers... She was narrowly beating my bracket in the first couple rounds, but picking Kentucky did wonders. I shoulda got in on that! Woulda loved to have taken her boss' money lol.
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 5:40am
Bill self coaches sloppy basketball? I'd say he's done alright with 8 straight Big 12 titles.
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 5:03am
You are right the big man controlled the game without having to score.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 4:27am
Originally posted by solocreep

UK is on another level right now. Davis is just a shot blocking machine.
It was pretty impressive to see how much he controlled game even with his abysmal shooting.  The second half was pretty sloppy, especially for Kentucky, but their talent won out.  I don't think anyone is really that surprised.
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 10:47pm
it was pretty sloppy and they ALMOST came back for a closer game...too little too late, kentucky overwhelemed them in almost every area
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 7:27pm
Kansas plays such a sloppy, careless brand of basketball under bill self-which in my opinion is why they have slot of early tournament upsets in his tenure. They get away with it some years but Kentucky is just too solid
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 6:32pm
KENTUCKYYYYYYY!!! show me the money babay! i just won my bracket!
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 6:13pm
UK is on another level right now. Davis is just a shot blocking machine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>