Joe Paterno

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
psubballfan12 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote psubballfan12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joe Paterno
    Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 6:42pm
Joe Paterno has been fired from the head coach possition of Penn State effective immediately. He will not even be able to walk onto the field one last time with his players. The board of trustees has fired a man who built Penn State to be where it is today, and who is under no criminal investigation but has not fired the two men who are. Students are rioting and for good reason..Oh and the greatest coach in college football history was terminated..over the phone. 

WE ARE...PENN STTE
Protect your domes
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 6:44pm
sorry, if he knew about illegal goingson and didnt report it, that makes him just as guilty....

no sympathy here.
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 6:45pm
Blah blah blah blah blah....

Makes covering up a few tattoos look not so bad, eh?

feel free to mark this as spam.
LegalBoarding View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LegalBoarding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 6:47pm
Wow... I don't see how they should fire him just like that. He was with the program for so long. Yea he's been in the media, but to fire him in such a frenzy is a little ridiculous IMO. The man has been with the team forever and is a legend, he deserved a little more respect than what he got. 

they fired the President too. If they wanted to draw attention away from the scandal they are going about it in the wrong way. They just decided to create shock waves instead of letting it clear itself up. 
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by batmanwest

I cant do that! You specifically asked for it! I try to be sneaky and shit...... when you're not expecting it and all....
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by derbytownjoe

I cant do that! You specifically asked for it! I try to be sneaky and shit...... when you're not expecting it and all....

LOLThumbs Up

Seriously though, he should of gone to proper authorities the moment he heard things. Not just whoever IN the school who was above him, and let them figure it out.
Or maybe I just don't know what I am talking about.

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 6:53pm

F U C K  YOU 
U- A - RU  
ANDO 
DO RO FI N

m00m
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 6:55pm
It's just a stupid game!  There are kids who's lives are probably ruined by what this man could have possibly prevented.  Yeah he may have made a kick ass football program but, what is the school going to look like if they don't respond to this. 
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by ippollite

F U C K  YOU 
U- A - RU  
ANDO 
DO RO FI N

Out of control LOL

You know, honestly I wrote "feel free to mark this as spam" more of a, "sorry for the one line response" thing....rather than a plea to be "funny".....
I know in the past I have asked to have my posts marked as spam to appease myself to get a laugh. Boy who cries wolf, right? Big smile

Either way I don't get what you wrote below the f-you part. Maybe I just need some sleep.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 7:07pm
(tee hee :p) - oh, apologies to teh OP for the very important thread crap, back to the stuff you guys hilariously call FOOTball. 
m00m
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 7:14pm
Has anyone here seen their coworker rape a child and continue to work with them day in and day out for years?  Absolutely ridiculous.  Penn State did the right thing.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by CO_champagne

Has anyone here seen their coworker rape a child and continue to work with them day in and day out for years?  Absolutely ridiculous.  Penn State did the right thing.

Did Joe Paterno actually SEE the boy get raped? Only thing I have heard so far is that he was told about allegations that it happened. That he told superiors about said allegations because  he didn't know exactly what was going on.

Not trying to defend him, or that line of actions what so ever. I think everything up till now was taken quite too lightly. I just want to get facts straight, as I don't follow much of things like this on said news channels.
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 7:26pm

Originally posted by CO_champagne

Did Joe Paterno actually SEE the boy get raped? Only thing I have heard so far is that he was told about allegations that it happened. That he told superiors about said allegations because  he didn't know exactly what was going on.

Not trying to defend him, or that line of actions what so ever. I think everything up till now was taken quite too lightly. I just want to get facts straight, as I don't follow much of things like this on said news channels.

Even if it was only "allegations" he should not have continued to allow an assistant to teach children until the situation was resolved.  Poor decision by them all.

Pretty sure if someone told me they saw my assistant raping a young boy I'd take it pretty F-ing seriously
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 9:44pm
When it comes down to it, whoever is running the ship, and everyone knows JoPa RAN that ship for SIX DECADES, takes the lion's share.

Was he the one who did it? No
Did he do enough to stop it and clear it up asap? Sadly, no.  And that's why he was fired. 

F'd up. :-/
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 1:54am
Simply disgusting how anyone involved in that football program allowed this turd to still be active in their community.  I would not be surprised if JoePa knew about this in the 80's as well....

This is not a lifestyle change one goes thru....and to think one of the witnesses that actually observed some forced sodomy was 6'04"/250 lbs.....I think he could have taken a 70 yr old man out!

The entire staff should be held culpabe 
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 2:01am
The old man got what he deserved.  He did not take the course of action most people (at least I would hope most people) would have taken, call the authorities.  Think about it, if someone who reported to you was accused of raping a young boy at work what would you do?  Disgusting.
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 3:40am
Originally posted by ctoma

The old man got what he deserved.  He did not take the course of action most people (at least I would hope most people) would have taken, call the authorities.  Think about it, if someone who reported to you was accused of raping a young boy at work what would you do?  Disgusting.

At the same time he did report it to the people he was supposed to, his bosses, WHICH should have taken action in the form of an investigation. Which in that case i havent heard anything further regarding it, but his bosses should recieve accessory to a crime then. He built that dynasty at Penn State i think its crappy that he had to go out the way he did
zombie86 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote zombie86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 3:59am
[/QUOTE]

At the same time he did report it to the people he was supposed to, his bosses, WHICH should have taken action in the form of an investigation. Which in that case i havent heard anything further regarding it, but his bosses should recieve accessory to a crime then. He built that dynasty at Penn State i think its crappy that he had to go out the way he did [/QUOTE]

I completely agree. They're ruining the guy's legacy and now this is all he'll be remembered for. He did the right thing and reported it to his bosses... and now it's all coming back down on him for no legitimate reason. I think it's ridiculous
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 4:07am

well he did tell his supervisor/boss so its up to principal to react to the situation not for him. hes nto the one that should know the policy on what to do next
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 4:20am
Too many accusations as to what all happened. bottom line is its a horrible situation and justice needs/needed to be done for those poor kids
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 4:42am
Originally posted by scuddera

At the same time he did report it to the people he was supposed to, his bosses, WHICH should have taken action in the form of an investigation. Which in that case i havent heard anything further regarding it, but his bosses should recieve accessory to a crime then. He built that dynasty at Penn State i think its crappy that he had to go out the way he did

Anyone else have problems with how some universities handle things like this? Sure, tell your boss, but tell the cops too! Christ on a cracker....if you heard a member of your staff, or hell anyone, was doing things like this...wouldn't you take it to the cops?
Schools have it set up so they can cover up things if it portrays a negative image on the school, or so they can pick and choose who gets in trouble.

EDIT: Oh, and OP.....yeah rioting is TOTALLY the way to go about things.....

360faceplant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 5:15am
Originally posted by psubballfan12

Joe Paterno has been fired from the head coach possition of Penn State effective immediately. He will not even be able to walk onto the field one last time with his players. The board of trustees has fired a man who built Penn State to be where it is today, and who is under no criminal investigation but has not fired the two men who are. Students are rioting and for good reason..Oh and the greatest coach in college football history was terminated..over the phone. 

WE ARE...PENN STTE
How stupid are you?  The firing of a coach is a good reason to riot??
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 5:17am

firing coach and rioting is not a good reason, but they feel like the coach has been unjusted. they dont know any other way to act than that l suppose

atg15 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote atg15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 5:25am
There are plenty of great coaches who have been brought down badly, for example Woody Hayes, and Jim Tressel. Paterno, no matter what will always be remembered as a great coach... I understand why they are rioting, but it doesn't make it right
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 5:40am
he's lucky he wasn't sent to the firing squad and was just fired.  I don't care if Pennsylvania isn't a mandatory report state for educators.  Joe Pa for years talked about winning the right way, making sure kids graduate, making football players and good members of society.  

You cannot sit on a moral high horse for a few decades and then hide behind state law (and skirting moral mores) when you have a report from a member of your staff that someone was sodomizing a 10 year old in YOUR PROGRAMS LOCKER ROOM.  

Joe Pa was god in Happy Valley.  He had more power than the president of that university.  He was telling THEM when he wanted to retire.  you cannot have that type of power then claim your powerless to go to the police.

Clif notes: shtook him, I hope they send them all to prison so they can get handled the old fashion way and find out personally how fun it is to be raped in a shower.  
-zakk

zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 5:41am
Originally posted by atg15

There are plenty of great coaches who have been brought down badly, for example Woody Hayes, and Jim Tressel. Paterno, no matter what will always be remembered as a great coach... I understand why they are rioting, but it doesn't make it right

Yeah, I really get pissed off when people who protect pedophiles have bad things happen to them.  

-zakk

letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 5:50am
It's to bad the Joe Pa's career had to end like this. But it's his own fault, he's the one that didn't report this to the proper authorities. I hope this cripples Penn State's program for awhile.
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 5:50am
Originally posted by zakk

he's lucky he wasn't sent to the firing squad and was just fired.  I don't care if Pennsylvania isn't a mandatory report state for educators.  Joe Pa for years talked about winning the right way, making sure kids graduate, making football players and good members of society.  

You cannot sit on a moral high horse for a few decades and then hide behind state law (and skirting moral mores) when you have a report from a member of your staff that someone was sodomizing a 10 year old in YOUR PROGRAMS LOCKER ROOM.  

Joe Pa was god in Happy Valley.  He had more power than the president of that university.  He was telling THEM when he wanted to retire.  you cannot have that type of power then claim your powerless to go to the police.

Clif notes: shtook him, I hope they send them all to prison so they can get handled the old fashion way and find out personally how fun it is to be raped in a shower.  

plus muthafvckin one.
MtMansfield View Drop Down
Local
Local
up at holiday valley

Quote MtMansfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 6:04am
I know I'll probably go under fire for this but...

Joe Pa did what he was suppose to do, he went to the president and told him, from then on it was out of his hands. I don't think he should have been fired this quickly, I think he should have been able to coach this last game, or at least be on the sidelines for the last home game and be given the swan song he deserved as a coach.

Now a days it's almost expected for a coach to get fired from a scandal I feel like, and for him to coach for as long as he did is against the odds.

Here is a hypothetical (one that does not meet the severity of what happened at PSU, but still)... your at work and see/hear of someone stealing things, what do you do? Do you go directly to the police, or do you go to the higher ups and expect them to take care of it?

The president and Sandusky should burn in hell for all I care but Joe didn't deserve this.
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 6:06am
Please don't compare stealing paperclips to child molestation.  
red_baron View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote red_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 6:12am
^^^ THIS ^^^^
Local
Local
up at holiday valley

Quote MtMansfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 6:20am
That would be why I said that it was no where near the severity of what was going on, my point was you go to the higher up, and it is then there responsibility once informed to go to the authorities.

I do agree that he should've went to the authorities, but in my mind he did was he was suppose to do and it's the presidents fault from when he was informed that any other boys were molested.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 6:24am
Not just a sad end to Joe Pa's career, its a sad end to his life. He's 80+ not much time left. I feel bad but he deserved it
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 6:25am
Originally posted by MtMansfield

That would be why I said that it was no where near the severity of what was going on, my point was you go to the higher up, and it is then there responsibility once informed to go to the authorities.

I do agree that he should've went to the authorities, but in my mind he did was he was suppose to do and it's the presidents fault from when he was informed that any other boys were molested.

let's take your track here.  

Ok, so you go the the President, which is all you have to do under Pennsylvania state law.  That was back in what, 2002 if I'm reading the reports correctly.  

So you know this guy, he's on your staff, and he doesn't come to you and resign because he has to go to prison.  Or, he doesn't have to shut down his camp for youths (read: more young boys) as a registered sex offender would have to.  

Topping ALL OF THAT, you still let him use the facilities and he has been seen on campus as recently as last week.  

So, knowing that a person sodomized a 10 year old, you'd let the roam your locker room, use your facilities, and have your student-athletes go help out at his camp?

Please tell me that I just didn't see the sarcasm tags in your post.  Please.  
-zakk

JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 6:26am
Good article: Find it Here

As many of you know, I am an Avid fan of the University of Montana Grizzlies.  I know, "small stuff" for lots of you.  But our program has the exact same issues, as I'm sure they all do.  Hopefully not to this extent, but they all do.

This Penn State stuff makes me not only sickened, but outraged.  I want to shout on this post that we should make a stand against these huge college programs... but I am part of the problem, not the solution. 
 You see, I am an alumni of the UofM, and that is a part of me out there playing football in the Maroon and Silver on Saturdays. I can not imagine that the name on the front of the jersey could possibly hide something sinister. 
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 6:30am

Yeah, but that makes the entire point you're trying to make, a moot one. Comparing stealing office supplies to molesting kids are two very, very different things, the principle is not the same. A better analogy would be,

'So you know your coworker is molesting children. Do you go to the police?'

To which the answer should be a resounding FVCK YES I DO.
red_baron View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote red_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 6:31am

let's take your track here.  

Ok, so you go the the President, which is all you have to do under Pennsylvania state law.  That was back in what, 2002 if I'm reading the reports correctly.  

So you know this guy, he's on your staff, and he doesn't come to you and resign because he has to go to prison.  Or, he doesn't have to shut down his camp for youths (read: more young boys) as a registered sex offender would have to.  

Topping ALL OF THAT, you still let him use the facilities and he has been seen on campus as recently as last week.  

So, knowing that a person sodomized a 10 year old, you'd let the roam your locker room, use your facilities, and have your student-athletes go help out at his camp?

Please tell me that I just didn't see the sarcasm tags in your post.  Please.  
totally agree. He may have done what he was "legally obligated" to do...but I would hope that people would have a little bit more integrity in there dealings in the work place. Especially when it has to do with the livelyhood of a child
Ejekted View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Ejekted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 6:33am

I agree whole-heartedly. Imagine the lives of the boys that were molested among other things, their lives are potentially screwed up forever and I'm sure that will also effect the lives of the people they come into contact with. Everyone involved, and everyone who knew anything about it and turned their heads, ought to be fired and taken care of by very large inmates in prison the rest of their lives.
sdip12 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Stash

Quote sdip12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 6:37am
I personally do not agree with what Penn State did either. He was one of the best coaches in college football and they just fired him without even giving him some time to tell his team and walk out on the field with them one last time. I think that is unreal and disrespectful. If it wasn't for him there football team would not be where it is today. Along with that, i don't even believe that he fully knew what was going on. It was said that he told higher authorities that something suspicious was happening but he was never fully sure of what was going on. I don't think it was right to fire him and not the guys who actually knew what was up. On top of that they did not even give the guy some time with his team before he had to leave. I'm not a Penn State fan for sure but i have sympathy for Paterno, he did everything for that program and then the just dropped him off like he was never there. I disagree.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 6:42am
And to be very clear, I'm not sitting here like I have lead a perfect life.  there are photos out there of me that will never allow me to be on an HOA board, let alone public office.  I get people make bad decisions, I had 3 years here it seemed I couldn't make a good decision.  

There were people I was friends/involved with that I simply could not be associated with when I got my shit together.  Ties were severed, bridges burned, and that was that.

How Joe "The Moral Compass" Paterno could not do the same with this information that came back to him is beyond me.  

It takes a life time to build a good reputation, and about 10 minutes to destroy it.  
-zakk

return2heaven View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote return2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 6:48am
i have no sympathy for paterno at all. this guy was the absolute FACE of Penn State. we can all imagine the kind of power this guy wielded over the years, for him to have knowledge that a 10 yr old boy was sodomized in HIS locker room and he essentially did nothing... even after he knew that sandusky was a pedophile, HE STILL ALLOWED the perv to bring boys back to HIS campus... shtook joe paterno.

football legend's body of work vs. young kids getting molested...  wow is it really a hard choice?

heisenbise View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote heisenbise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 6:58am

Get your timeline right.  When the alleged incident took place in 2002, Sandusky was not a coach at PSU.  He retired in 19996 (edit: type-o).  Why was allowed continued access to facilities after 1999, and especially after 2002 is a damn good question.  But that's a question for the athletic director and administration, not Paterno (since Sandusky wasn't a member of his coaching staff).

Paterno was informed that an incident occurred (and from all reports, he didn't get a lot of details).  He reported what he knew to the AD and Sr VP that oversaw the university police.  Having not seen it first hand, he's in no position to have gone to the police.  Were he to make a report it'd be tossed out as hearsay.  Should he have encouraged the grad student witness to go to the police?  Hell yes!  (But for all we know, he did)

The fact is that as a visible figure the media has railroaded Paterno.  And rather than support him or re-direct the blame to the authority figures who took no action, the board at Penn State has chosen to use him as a scapegoat.  He's been speculatively fired before any criminal trials have even reached a verdict.  I'm ashamed of the administration, the media, and everyone on the internet who has jumped to a conclusion without due process.

I'm by no means defending Sandusky.  What he supposedly did is absolutely despicable.  And if he's found guilty, I hope they put him down for good.  But I'm not willing to point fingers at anyone else who may or may not have known details of what events transpired.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 6:59am
I completely agree with the firing of Paterno. He clearly knew what was going on along with a lot of others at the University and this appears to be a massive cover up. The priority and focus should be on the victims not on Penn State football or the legacy Paterno built. Paterno should have made the victims the priority, instead he was more focused on not ruining Penn States reputation. The riots are simply embarrassing for all involved.
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 6:59am

I realize that we all make mistakes, however as an athlete, we are told, time and time again, by our coaches that we are the "FACE OF THE UNIVERSITY"

No more the face of the university than Joe Paterno.  He helped to make the University look bad... so out.
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Spenser W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 7:28am
Originally posted by heisenbise

Get your timeline right.  When the alleged incident took place in 2002, Sandusky was not a coach at PSU.  He retired in 19996 (edit: type-o).  Why was allowed continued access to facilities after 1999, and especially after 2002 is a damn good question.  But that's a question for the athletic director and administration, not Paterno (since Sandusky wasn't a member of his coaching staff).

Paterno was informed that an incident occurred (and from all reports, he didn't get a lot of details).  He reported what he knew to the AD and Sr VP that oversaw the university police.  Having not seen it first hand, he's in no position to have gone to the police.  Were he to make a report it'd be tossed out as hearsay.  Should he have encouraged the grad student witness to go to the police?  Hell yes!  (But for all we know, he did)

The fact is that as a visible figure the media has railroaded Paterno.  And rather than support him or re-direct the blame to the authority figures who took no action, the board at Penn State has chosen to use him as a scapegoat.  He's been speculatively fired before any criminal trials have even reached a verdict.  I'm ashamed of the administration, the media, and everyone on the internet who has jumped to a conclusion without due process.

I'm by no means defending Sandusky.  What he supposedly did is absolutely despicable.  And if he's found guilty, I hope they put him down for good.  But I'm not willing to point fingers at anyone else who may or may not have known details of what events transpired.

No, that's not correct.  You can't use hearsay in court, meaning that if he were to testify in court the defense could object on hearsay grounds, as he does not have personal knowledge of the incident and merely "heard about it."  That does NOT, however, preclude him from notifying the authorities, who, with enough probable cause, could get an arrest warrant and get the guy who did it.  They could then conduct further investigation, and establish enough evidence to convict the guy without even using Paterno as a witness.  So your application of the hearsay doctrine is fundamentally flawed, just throwing it out there.

And to everybody who has said that they shouldn't have fired him because he was SUCH A GOOD COACH and he COACHED FOR SO LONG-that's a really, really pathetic argument.  Just because you wish he could keep coaching doesn't mean the school did the wrong thing.

Imagine if they HADN'T fired him.  There would be an uproar of, PENN STATE IS ALLOWING A MAN WHO HARBORS PEDOPHILES TO CONTINUE COACHING.  Penn State was in a pretty bad situation either way, and from what I've read, I think they did the right thing.
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
Local
Local
up at holiday valley

Quote MtMansfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 7:35am
For all Paterno knew when he told the president, that it would be taken care of, and this is where my opinion changes. I do think that once Paterno realized that Sandusky wasn't in trial or in prison sometime after the President was made aware, that's when he should have gone to the cops.
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 7:39am

For all Paterno knew when he told the president, that it would be taken care of, and this is where my opinion changes. I do think that once Paterno realized that Sandusky wasn't in trial or in prison sometime after the President was made aware, that's when he should have gone to the cops.

i totally agree.  obviously, in hindsight, he should have gone to the cops first, but going to the president first seems at least fair, so that they can handle all the PR, but after nothing happened??  come on, time to go to the cops about that.
WESTmd View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote WESTmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 7:45am
Originally posted by panther

i totally agree.  obviously, in hindsight, he should have gone to the cops first, but going to the president first seems at least fair, so that they can handle all the PR, but after nothing happened??  come on, time to go to the cops about that.

Absolutely spot on, I couldn't agree more. At some point someone needed to take the moral route and put an end to it.
vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vandi518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 7:46am

And to be very clear, I'm not sitting here like I have lead a perfect life.  there are photos out there of me that will never allow me to be on an HOA board, let alone public office.  I get people make bad decisions, I had 3 years here it seemed I couldn't make a good decision.  

There were people I was friends/involved with that I simply could not be associated with when I got my shit together.  Ties were severed, bridges burned, and that was that.

How Joe "The Moral Compass" Paterno could not do the same with this information that came back to him is beyond me.  

It takes a life time to build a good reputation, and about 10 minutes to destroy it.  

Very well put Zakk.  Regardless of what Joe's legal responsibilities were in this case, the moral responsibility is where I personally can't give him a pass.  We don't know how much of what McQueary apparently witnessed was revealed to him, but it was enough to start a formal inquiry by the university and the DA once Joe reported it so it obviously was considered serious enough to warrant an investigation.

My bigger issue however, is with McQueary himself.  How the hell can anyone witness what he allegedly saw taking place in that locker room and walk away to call his father without taking action first?  This is absolutely unfathomable to me and there is absolutely no excuse, period!

As far as the firing goes, PSU is a big business, and like any other big business, when a crisis occurs within the organization swift and decisive action is required to control the situation and minimize the impact on the future of the operation.  Another important point to remember here is that we are talking about a state university, which brings even more scrutiny (as if that is even possible in this case) from elected officials, state regulators etc. and only intensifies the need for immediate action.  The whole situation was obviously handled poorly from the beginning many years ago and numerous officials,  be it university, public (investigating DA's office) and the police departments involved, are clearly guilty of mismanaging the situation.  I would not be at all surprised if there are many more people fired and more than likely, criminally indictments issued as additional details and victims (hopefully not) come forth.  

If any officials and or staff of the university, including Joe, had any suspicion at all of what Sandusky was doing, there is absolutely no excuse for allowing him to be anywhere near the football program or university grounds under any circumstance.  Any of those who "turned a blind eye" to what was apparently going on, should be forced to sit face to face with the victims of Sandusky's unthinkable actions and try to explain their reluctance/refusal to take action!  It certainly can't alleviate the emotional pain of what these KIDS have had to live through, but maybe, just maybe, it would help convince one of them to take action on something in the future and prevent a potential tragedy.
sirelderly16 View Drop Down
Local
Local
AQUAMAN

Quote sirelderly16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 7:56am
Sad to see it happen but going to the AD with the incident is the bare minimum a coach can do; and to allow Sandusky to come on to campus day in and day out is ridiculous. It was going to happen in the end but the board of trustees had no choice, my only problem is why fire him over the phone? You owe more to the man than that. However, I find it necessary to get rid of everyone that was a part of it and let it go by the wayside.

The student riot was bad form, a student claiming the JoePa is Penn State, no one is above another. JoePa left a tremendous legacy only to have it tarnished by his lack of action.

To the student that said "what about the library he funded"... library books are now online and is a library worth 9+ victims? Stop protecting a man that didn't do more than he should have...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>