Official 2011-2012 NBA SEASON

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 40>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cheemaster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cheemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official 2011-2012 NBA SEASON
    Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 4:18pm
Lockout is officially over and we're ready to start basketball on Christmas day!

Tons of trade talks going on too, CP3 to lakers? David Stern doesn't think so.

LEGGOO
Jack_Bauer View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jack_Bauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 4:41pm
If you want an absolute laugh over this whole trade mess.  Log in to the ESPN live chat.  A bunch of the industry guys are making so much fun of this while interacting with fans.  

Media day is going to be funny as hell tomorrow.  Gasol and Odom get to show up in LA and talk about how excited they are to be in LA, Paul will probably have puffy eyes and won't want to talk to anyone.  Oh its going to be FANtastic!
Today is the longest day of my life
stevo05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote stevo05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 5:27pm
This mess is crazy...CP3 trade is blocked by the commissioner himself for "basketball" reasons. 
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by stevo05

This mess is crazy...CP3 trade is blocked by the commissioner himself for "basketball" reasons. 

Seriously, but if CP3 really wants to be a Lakers (which he does), there's really no stopping it. Sooner or later, he's gonna wear the LA jersey.

sad that the NBA will basically do anything and everything to keep the lakers from getting dwight howard and chris paul. but they'd allow miami to sign wade, lebron, and bosh. sketchy much???
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jack_Bauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 6:29pm
Well, its a slightly different situation with those other guys.  They were free agents.  The Hornets are owned by the league currently until it can be sold.  Basically the argument was that taking Paul away de-values the franchise, makingit hard to sell.

That said, the Hornets were getting a pretty damn fair trade IMHO.  I don't think they will ever get a trade that good again.  In fact, its very likely that Paul simply leaves them at the end of the year and they get nothing.  Especially if other teams think the league is simply going to block all their attempts to get him.

Furthermore, I don't see how this helps the franchise value.  The chemistry is going to suck, they will lose games.  On top of that, they could have had several great players that and likely would have won just as many games as they did last year.  Very puzzling and just about the worst timing possible for something like this to happen.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote cheemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Jack_Bauer

Well, its a slightly different situation with those other guys.  They were free agents.  The Hornets are owned by the league currently until it can be sold.  Basically the argument was that taking Paul away de-values the franchise, makingit hard to sell.

That said, the Hornets were getting a pretty damn fair trade IMHO.  I don't think they will ever get a trade that good again.  In fact, its very likely that Paul simply leaves them at the end of the year and they get nothing.  Especially if other teams think the league is simply going to block all their attempts to get him.

Furthermore, I don't see how this helps the franchise value.  The chemistry is going to suck, they will lose games.  On top of that, they could have had several great players that and likely would have won just as many games as they did last year.  Very puzzling and just about the worst timing possible for something like this to happen.

I could not agree more. The players that they were given had some legit talent. K-mart is one of my favorite players and no one can question Scola and Odom's abilities. Dragic is solid too, that AND first round draft picks?? I thought they were getting a little too much for Paul when I first heard the deal.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jack_Bauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 8:33pm
Hater of the year Dan Gilbert, please step forward and claim your trophy

I know he is still upset over what happened but damn.  Its not just the money.  I am not even sure that LA was a better team with Paul to be honest.  Both Paul and Kobe need the ball to be effective.  It would essentially render Kobe a spot up jump shooter and game finisher (which maybe he is ok with, but he hasn't been happy with reduced roles in the past).

This sets a very nasty president IMHO.  So now if you are a team expecting luxury tax revenues you can bitch your way into forcing other teams to pay MORE in taxes?  
Jigkidd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TWISTER!

Quote Jigkidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 9:51pm

I know he is still upset over what happened but damn.  Its not just the money.  I am not even sure that LA was a better team with Paul to be honest.  Both Paul and Kobe need the ball to be effective.  It would essentially render Kobe a spot up jump shooter and game finisher (which maybe he is ok with, but he hasn't been happy with reduced roles in the past).

This sets a very nasty president IMHO.  So now if you are a team expecting luxury tax revenues you can bitch your way into forcing other teams to pay MORE in taxes?  

I have a feeling Dan Gilbert will just keep running his mouth/b!tch and moan til he actually gets another superstar.

I thought the Lakers should've went after Dwight first anyway.
Long hair don't care!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote cheemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 7:05am
And now Brandon Roy is retiring... It's a sad sad day my friends....Cry
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jack_Bauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Jigkidd

I have a feeling Dan Gilbert will just keep running his mouth/b!tch and moan til he actually gets another superstar.

What he doesn't realize is he is destroying any chance of that.  He is going to have to over-pay for players from now on.  What player wants to go play for an owner who acts in this manner?

I agree on the Howard thing, makes more sense for the balance of the team IMHO.
vinzo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vinzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 11:11am
knicks need to get CHANDLER and we will rock east
LegalBoarding View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LegalBoarding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 11:53am
Originally posted by vinzo

knicks need to get CHANDLER and we will rock east

They have Chandler now according to his own announcements.... but i dunno if they'll rock the east yet... We still need a PG and the other players to play some better defense. I'm glad that Turiaf will be gone, but Jeffries needs to go too. Chandler will definitely give us better rebounding and D, but thats never been the style of Dantoni.... i hope it works it though... I love my knicks, even if they end up sucking again haha. 
return2heaven View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote return2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 12:05pm
my beloved knicks... I'm getting ready for another mediocre season at best. as long as Dantoni is the coach the knicks are gonna suck...
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 1:46pm
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=7333531

Phone interview with Lamar Odem when he found out that LA tried to trade him.....the guy sounds soooooo depressed...sadness
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by return2heaven

my beloved knicks... I'm getting ready for another mediocre season at best. as long as Dantoni is the coach the knicks are gonna suck...

with the addition of tyson chandler...they're looking pretty good. they still need a point guard to distribute the ball though..maybe they can land cp3 now that he's being blocked from going to the lakers. rondo apparently is also rumored to be on the trading block too...
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jack_Bauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by cheemaster

Not happy that the guy is in pain.  VERY happy he isn't on the team anymore.  He didn't make anyone around him better and it was painful to watch him dribble out 20 seconds of every possession on iso's.

Looks like Oden is DONE as well, docs saying he wont play this year.
tdahl824 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tdahl824 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 5:40pm
none of these posts matter because the Bulls are going to win it all this year...

...if they get a SG that plays offense
164w Jones Carbon Flagship : Union Factory .:. 164 Bataleon Jam : Union Atlas
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 5:48pm

Not happy that the guy is in pain.  VERY happy he isn't on the team anymore.  He didn't make anyone around him better and it was painful to watch him dribble out 20 seconds of every possession on iso's.

So much for the Blazers dynasty. Sucks when injuries ruin potentially great players.

The CP3 thing is such a farce, and it could really hurt the Hornets, who are not nearly as likely to get such a good haul in any other trade. CP3 and Kobe would have been interesting, they both need the ball, not just want, NEED.
Jigkidd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TWISTER!

Quote Jigkidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 1:02am

Originally posted by Jigkidd

What he doesn't realize is he is destroying any chance of that.  He is going to have to over-pay for players from now on.  What player wants to go play for an owner who acts in this manner?

I agree on the Howard thing, makes more sense for the balance of the team IMHO.

Yeah, sources were speculating that the Lakers had to have had Dwight, or else they wouldn't have gone after Dwight.
I heard Okafor might have been thrown in so the Lakers could give up Bynum and Okafor for Dwight and Turkoglu.

Meanwhile, at LA's training camp netiher Pau or Lamar workout or play.
Pau has a strained quad, and Odom shows up more that 90 minutes late to talk to the GM in a meeting then leaves early.

If Pau and Lamar don't end up getting traded, at least they have a chip on their shoulder for the season....or just bad blood?
Long hair don't care!
sirelderly16 View Drop Down
Local
Local
AQUAMAN

Quote sirelderly16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 7:29am
All these trades with LA and New Orleans won't mean anything if the NBA doesn't allow the trade... Makes me sad how the NBA is not allowing this to happen after the lockout too. Either way, people are on the move and David Stern will be criticized no matter what
DCC View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
East Coast Rider

Quote DCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 12:32pm
well they resubmitted the trade, let's see what happens this time around.
stevo05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote stevo05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by broys

So much for the Blazers dynasty. Sucks when injuries ruin potentially great players.

The CP3 thing is such a farce, and it could really hurt the Hornets, who are not nearly as likely to get such a good haul in any other trade. CP3 and Kobe would have been interesting, they both need the ball, not just want, NEED.

Yeah, a healthy developed lineup of Oden, Roy, Aldridge, and Batum would have been amazing for the Blazers.
Local
Local
AQUAMAN

Quote sirelderly16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 7:04am
Lakers back out of the trade with Chris Paul... are they gonna put all their chips in on Dwight Howard or is it too late?
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 8:06am
Originally posted by sirelderly16

Lakers back out of the trade with Chris Paul... are they gonna put all their chips in on Dwight Howard or is it too late?

Let's hope so!!! Howard is exactly who we  need. (although both cp and howard would have been ideal!)
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
ksobon View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote ksobon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 8:28am
i truly believe its too late for the lakers to get howard. i mean seriously. he knows that if lakers spend all their assets on getting him then they cannon possibly acquire chris paul. now NOLA will not go into the season with paul so its obvious they will trade him somewhere. unless paul is willing to wait out a year playing for celtics/clippers or whoever and then sign with lakers as a FA i dont see how lakers can possibly obtain them both. if i dont see that happening i bet howard doesnt see that happening so the obvious choice for him is to team up with d-will in new york and get things under way right away instead of waiting around for paul. having said that i see lakers as the biggest losers now as their hand was forced with lamar odom and they had to give him up for free. now even if gasol returns he is mentally weak and after being traded to houston he might just fold it in (mentally) and just cruise the whole season. with metta world peace at SF and Derek fisher at PG lakers are not going to get out of first round and that's how kobe's quest to get his sixth ring will end. i am sorry lakers but this time around it seems like you are not getting what you want.
Local
Local

Quote LegalBoarding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 8:40am
Originally posted by sirelderly16

I'm going to say its not too late, but you never know. Personally i can't stand the Lakers, not because they are the Lakers, but because the fans obnoxiously loyal-gloaters (not to mention i just HATE Kobe Bryant, but i still respect his talents). If they trade Bynum and Gasol to Magic with a draft pick, i think they still might have a chance with him. Frankly though, I hope he ends up on the Nets. Howard doesn't want to be the "second-coming of Shaq," he wants to be this to be 1st-coming of Howard!
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 3:51am
From what I've heard, Dwight Howard wants to play for the Nets anyway.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jack_Bauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 9:41am
The league is going full retard with these Chris Paul deals.  Its only going to get worse from here on out, then what?  Trade him for a draft pick in March when teams are low-balling?

mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 9:43am
Originally posted by grapeape2669

From what I've heard, Dwight Howard wants to play for the Nets anyway.

Not cool. Guess it's because CP3 isnt coming to LA anymore. Still can't believe NBA vetoed the trade.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 10:12am

The league is going full retard with these Chris Paul deals.  Its only going to get worse from here on out, then what?  Trade him for a draft pick in March when teams are low-balling?

Exactly, I'm not sure if it's more because of the new CBA where superstar movement was supposed to be locked down a little more or if Stern thinks he'll be able to get more money for the Hornets with Paul but it's dumb either way. Who in their right mind buys the Hornets with CP3 there and his contract expiring at the end of the season, free to walk like LeBron did?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jack_Bauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 10:25am
I think that David Stern is going to snap and go full on Charlie Sheen over this.  He seems to have totally lost the presence/composure that he always maintained  over the past year.
mosizzle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mosizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 10:34am
As a lakers fan, I was never a huge supporter of Odom. However, trading him for a draft pick is just beyond stupid. Now they'll have to give up both Gasol and Bynum and probably a draft pick to even have a chance at getting Howard. So in essence, lakers are giving up 3 of their top 4 players for Howard. Make matters worse, they'll probably have to take Turkoglu and his grossly overpaid contract. Not only is he a inconsistent shooter with no handles or penetration ability, he lacks defense.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 10:36am
David Stern is keeping CP3 in New Olearns to sell tickets this season. To make the numbers look good so the league can sell the team. Otherwise, who would want to buy a team that's not making money, is lower in the pecking order than a college team, and has no stars? At least make it look like they can make money and they'll have a chance of selling the team to an owner that'll move it to a different market.
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 4:15pm
They need to get rid of some of the teams, there is not enough talent, to go around the league.  Also I like the idea of a shortened season but it won't happen there is too much money there.
tk177 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tk177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 5:23pm
^ I couldn't agree more. By having less teams you have more stars per team and everybody makes money; not just the big markets

The NBA/Hornets want way too much for CP3. Clippers are smart in backing away from such ridiculous demands. CP3 is good but he's not that good to have to give up numerous great talents. I hope the NBA ends up with nothing when all this CP3 trade talks are done

I think Howard will be going to the Brooklyn Nets.  It hasn't been confirmed yet but Jigga and the Russian offered Howard $132 million for 5 years

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jack_Bauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 6:42pm
Where are they getting the money under the cap in order to offer Howard that much?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2011 at 3:35am
Originally posted by mosizzle

As a lakers fan, I was never a huge supporter of Odom. However, trading him for a draft pick is just beyond stupid. Now they'll have to give up both Gasol and Bynum and probably a draft pick to even have a chance at getting Howard. So in essence, lakers are giving up 3 of their top 4 players for Howard. Make matters worse, they'll probably have to take Turkoglu and his grossly overpaid contract. Not only is he a inconsistent shooter with no handles or penetration ability, he lacks defense.
Obviously Odom was mad about being involved in the CP3 trade, but it seems like they could have worked things out, or at the very least gotten more for him.  Instead they traded him to a rival in their own conference.  I don't understand how the Lakers can justify pulling the trigger on that deal.
Local
Local
AQUAMAN

Quote sirelderly16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2011 at 8:51am
The Lakers will never be able to justify that trade at all... Odom had his best season in years and won the 6th man of the year. How is it you dump him off to the Mavericks?! Unless you get Dwight Howard (which is seriously in doubt) then that trade proves nothing. Future draft picks mean nothing especially when it's LA. plus, they get a future Mavs pick won't be a lottery pick either.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2011 at 1:19pm
As a Mavs fan, I love how the Mavs kicked the Lakers in the nuts with the Odom trade after sweeping them in the playoffs last season. Yes, we swept you, and we're taking your 6th man of the year and a 2nd round pick in exchange for next year's last pick in the first round. I wonder how awkward Odom will feel when the Mavs get their championship rings in the first game...

But, the Mavs really need to find a replacement for Ty...Haywood is not good enough to start for a championship team...Since Dallas doesn't have the players for a trade with Orlando, I don't see Dwight Howard going there. Maybe Nene or Dalembert would be a good fit to play some D in the paint.

Mavs also signed Vince Carter and Delonte West. I think VC will probably start at SG and West will backup Kidd along with Roddy Beaubois and Dominque Jones. Corey Brewer and Rudy Fernandez have been traded to Denver for picks.

Mavs roster as of now:
PG: Jason Kidd, Delonte West, Roddy Beaubois, Domique Jones
SG: Vince Carter, Jason Terry
SF: Shawn Marion
PF: Dirk, Lamar Odom, Brian Cardinal
C: Brandon Haywood, Ian Mahini

Doesn't look all that great unless they can get a big man...
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2011 at 6:24pm
Too bad for the Mavs, the Warriors picked up Kwame Brown. Hahaha.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 4:01am
^There must have been quite a bidding war for Kwame.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 9:13am
Originally posted by grapeape2669

^There must have been quite a bidding war for Kwame.

wow..looks like Golden State is trying for the lottery again?
Local
Local
AQUAMAN

Quote sirelderly16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 10:05am
Wow David Stern, you are not gaining any good credibility during this preseason... the timing couldn't have been any better after the lockout and everything. genius he is.
Jigkidd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TWISTER!

Quote Jigkidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 4:10pm
So the Clippers sign Chauncey...then get CP3!

watched this video for a break...
Long hair don't care!
Local
Local

Quote LegalBoarding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 5:21pm
Ooooo Baron Davis is being released from the Cavs via the Amnesty Clause.... I really hope he comes to NY. We could really use a better PG consider Bibby is not exactly that great and Douglas... well yea, he's Douglas haha. 

Fingers Crossed. 
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jack_Bauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by LegalBoarding

Ooooo Baron Davis is being released from the Cavs via the Amnesty Clause.... I really hope he comes to NY. We could really use a better PG consider Bibby is not exactly that great and Douglas... well yea, he's Douglas haha. 

Fingers Crossed. 

Davis is out a minimum of 8 to 10 weeks with a herniated disk in his back.  There is a chance he doesn't even play this season depending on whether or not surgery is needed.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 3:04am
^So what you're saying is that the Knicks will probably sign him.
ABrad25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Play hard or look good

Quote ABrad25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 4:26am
He will be a big pick up by anyone willing to spend the money on him, but if he goes to knicks they wont sign howard. 
jstgermain View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jstgermain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 4:54am
Richard Hamilton to the bulls
Local
Local
AQUAMAN

Quote sirelderly16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 7:04am
Magic not putting Howard on the trade block and Paul to the Clippers... Lakers officially pissed everything into the wind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>