Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
oddmut View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front flips/tame dog
    Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 9:50am
Anyone has tips to throwing this trick? I'm either over throwing it or under throwing it and also sometimes i pop too hard or not even pop at all. yes i'm pretty bad at it at this moment. I've been doing it on 4' jumps so hucking is what i'm doing.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 9:54am
4' jumps?

that's hardly the length of your board...

kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 10:22am
I wish you can get good tips on this cuz its a sick trick i would like to be able to do as well, but I have a feeling its like all tricks, you just gotta keep trying. But if anyone does have a great tip, let us know!

I'm sure some trampoline work can help too, just to get better air awareness and the torque you need to get the right rotation. I see a lot of people doing them on high boxes... might be better off that. idk. 
Its not fun unless its sketchy
goofy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 11:13am
just tried my first front flip yesterday, but couldnt land it... it was about a three foot jump.  im assuming your refering to a front flip off your nose as im not sure of any other way.  you have to rock back on your tail and then nollie and pop hard and then tuck under your thighs.... thats just what iv heard... if any one has any other tips id like to know too.  
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 12:10pm
l think working on your pop first before you throw yourself head over and risk injury
oddmut View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 12:21pm
@rzero yeah 4'.

@kirium I don't got a trampoline so learning the torque to throw it is a bit hard but the airbag is opened this weekend but that's for a 50' i want to land it on a 4'. i don't think i have much invert awareness i can't recall most of the jump or maybe because it seems too fast for me still. like when i throw it i see everything and know everything up till i pop or don't pop off. then the next thing i see is the landing. hmmm...

@goofy yeah that's exactly what i'm talking about, tame dog is the name.

@kel the pop i can do i just keep forgetting... sigh lol cause when i pop i notice i got a LOT more time.

I'm also learning BRodeos.
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 12:33pm
Im learning how to do them as well this season. what i have found is its all in the nollie. your take off is really what gets you going. Ive been trying on some drop off kickers to make sure i get all the way around. Idk man just keep going at it cuz thats what im doing
goofy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by oddmut

@rzero yeah 4'.

@kirium I don't got a trampoline so learning the torque to throw it is a bit hard but the airbag is opened this weekend but that's for a 50' i want to land it on a 4'. i don't think i have much invert awareness i can't recall most of the jump or maybe because it seems too fast for me still. like when i throw it i see everything and know everything up till i pop or don't pop off. then the next thing i see is the landing. hmmm...

I'm also learning BRodeos.
\

same thing goes for me... when you do it small, the trick goes by so fast all you remember is landing... i think a really big part of doing the trick and practice is visualization.... you gotta go through your head hundreds of time doing the trick inside and outside of your body.... its weird but you kinda get the feel for it mentally.  like watch your self doing the trick from your friends perspective and then through your own eyes... i think that helps familiarize your eyes with the rotation of the trick....  iv done that with backflips... last year i threw my first back flip, but only got to try it once.  i visualized it so much over the summer, learnt the trick in my head  and when it came to opening day yesterday i could do it with ease.  i also noticed that the first couple of times you don't really spot your landing cuz you cant see anything, but after a couple tries i spotted it every time...
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 1:00pm
From tutorial videos I have seen, you roll back with your arms up in the air and roll forward onto your front tip while throwing your arms down and tucking your head in.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 1:35pm
when you hit the lip you need to tuck in knees a little depends how far your trying to land at so you can pop upwards from your back foot which transitions the momentum to roll you foward..timing and speed is key as you lean down enough so you get that clearance during the flip..make sure theres enough cspace so that your tail hits the landing evenly without snapping the tail.
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 1:37pm
Im afraid that if i try this i might snap my board. But i think im gonna try it this year anyway. I can do like a cartwheel already so i dnt see how it cant be that much harder.
oddmut View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 1:41pm
thanks guys
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Instructing How to Douglas!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 2:02pm
I would be happy to help shed some insight on how to progress into these tricks: The Tame Dog & Wild Cat.

Tame Dog = Cartwheel Front Flip
Wild Cat = Cartwheel Back Flip

--

First off the trick is really the same thing just traveling in opposite directions, as in the Strong Foot Forward Tame Dog is the Switch Wild Cat and visa versa.

I recommend learning the Tame Dog and Switch Tame Dog first. If your goal is to learn the normal Wild Cat then focus on the switch Tame Dog.

Some things that you want to know first. 
- If you are trying to huck this trick the hucking is down with the legs not the head, arms or shoulders.
- The head and arms are used as the guides to keep you moving the correct direction and of course to help score your grabs.
- You don't need much space, hang time or air to do this trick.
- Your ollies and nollies need to be on lock.
- You should also be comfortable with nose and tail checks as well as ground rolls.

--

I find the best way to learn them is by learning to jump up into the rotation, rather than throw them down towards the ground. This is because you need proper pop from the board to set them into motion.

That is right, learn your front flips by finding a transition that goes from up to flat.

Steps to make the Tame Dog Happen:

- Setup towards the tail so that you can drive from foot to foot to load the nose as you hit the lip of the jump. Be aware that the rate of the transition can through you off so be strong with the legs as you roll in.

- As your board gets loaded to the nose, setting you up for a nollie, pop hard by extending the front leg as you pull your back leg to your chest hard. As with all flips the legs set the flip into motion. When throwing the wildcat you load and pop of the tail and pull your front leg hard towards your chest. A great way to think about how you are pulling your knee to your chest is bringing as hard and fast to your opposite shoulder as possible.

- In the Tame Dog your eyes look backwards and slightly up, do this with only rotating your head slightly from center and make sure not to rotate the shoulders as this will set you into a spin.

- Once the flip is in the air use the arms to then reach for the grab and carry you through the rest of the rotation. 

- Landing these should be stomped on both feet, but when you start you will be super tail heavy. Makesure to adjust the intensity of the spin for the pop you need and the hang time you are going to get. The more hang time the less intensity you need when pulling your knee to the chest. If you are throwing them on a step down the less vertical pop you will need, but never cut it out completely, you still want to take your CM up into the air.

--
Tips:

When you start this progression you should be able to practice by rolling across your shoulders and stuffing your tail into the snow straight up and down. If you are not straight then you are adding unwanted rotation into the roll.

The load and pop is key. Learning to through them up the hill forces you to get proper pop. 

Once you learn the pop that takes your Center of Mass up into the air you can start to through them with just a small cat track of step down.

--

Ride Safe: warm up, dial down the roll and practice them in soft snow before wrecking yourself on the hard pack.

Enjoy!!
Xhaustin View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 2:07pm
Work on rocking back then forward, get used to that motion and throwing your board into a huge nose press. Then add in a nollie... Once your ready and you feel your getting that perfect pop off your board, tuck into it and nollie hard. Once you get the hang of it, you can easily estimate when to open up and land. You may feel like you can do it and you will figure it out...which you probably could do, but progressions definitely help.
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 2:35pm
Awesome Doug! This clarifies a lot of the actual movements and I will practice rolling on my shoulders next time! 

Its weird, you have "through" written where it should be "throw". Took me a little bit to make sense of those sentences. Great write up nonetheless! 
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 3:29pm
l have to say, didnt doug make a video on how to do it before? something about ninja rolling 
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 3:38pm
I vaguely remember this, but think it was for some sort of pipe riding. trying to find the video now. 
Jerry View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Sketchy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 4:30pm
Hanging out with my bro (Guth) in Tahoe for Thanksgiving. 
He told me that I should try a flip. 
I asked: "How do you do one?"
He said: "I don't know, I've never landed one."

With that we had to start trying them at the bottom of the run, right under the lift.
Hilarious.

mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 8:51pm
Doug you are the man! Can't wait to try this when there's pow haha.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 2:20pm
Oh man that funny.  I learned them off cat tracks in the pow.  the good thing about them is that they are a forgiving trick.  Once your head is over the worst that can happen is that you land on your back. 

For the guys in the video, I'd try them off a cat track next time.  It really helps to be able to pop flat based off your nose.  Also try and preload your tail and then throw your weight forward over your nose. 
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 3:21pm
^^very funny video. got to love it but the dude in red look like he was getting alot better at it 
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 6:07pm
Nice video, and it looked like a fun pain free way to start learning the trick.
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 12:26pm
Doug, you should publish a book.  Shame to have all this great info tucked away in the middle of a forum thread that will one day be buried.
oddmut View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 12:29pm
so my weekend is over from snowboard and i came back to read if there was anymore reviews. damn doug that's the best explanation i've read online!! i thought half the trick was the arms till i later found out it was the pop and you confirmed it too. i'm definitely going to work on ur recommendations.

Forgot to mention, I've been testing a different method to putting down rodeos. Oh man it's coming along a lot better! Friends told me to throw it and that's so wrong. Suppose to pop and then drop and look over ur back shoulder.

Doug you can publish a small diy coach yourself snowboarding book.
shredtilimdead12 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Early Morning Groomers @ Snowshoe Mtn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 1:00pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_zC7CdvYu4
this is a video that i found that helped me out a lot, so maybe it can help you!
oddmut View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by shredtilimdead12

this is a video that i found that helped me out a lot, so maybe it can help you!

Yeah i saw this one too! Awesome video! But I think doug's a little more spot on about what I was missing. When I nollied i didn't pull up my back leg so not getting a full nollie and using too much of my upper body to flip it when it's mostly just the axis it spins on.
shredtilimdead12 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Early Morning Groomers @ Snowshoe Mtn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 1:07pm
yeah doug helped out a lot!
bjvinson View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 1:09pm
Great vid, and top tips Doug - if only it was as simple as reading your step by step!!
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2012 at 10:28am
I saw someone do a Tame Dog for the first time at Alpine last week.  Crazy how easy some of these guys make it look.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2012 at 10:39am
Originally posted by shredtilimdead12

I saw this same video before, it's a good guide.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Corpion View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2012 at 12:11pm
Here ya go. Great vid on how to do it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_zC7CdvYu4&list=FLIkeU1CmpW8h8hmvlwzdwNQ&index=8&feature=plpp_video
bamorgan7 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2012 at 12:22pm
I have been wanting to try it, but I guess I wimped out but now that I have seen these people trying it I have to do it.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2012 at 12:31pm
I find that these are really hard to land in powder too.   The rotation wants to continue you over the front of the board when you land.  You almost have to land really backseat or you'll be rag dolling down the hill.  

I also personally don't recommend doing this trick off a kicker of any size.  It's a trick that doesn't do well with alot of speed.  It kind of sucks your speed at the lip so your chances or casing the jump are high. 
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
 Post Reply Post Reply